[VRR][B-SPEC] 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 1,040 comments

What Sponsor Would You Want For 2018-2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll take the blame for that. Somehow I remembered having new engine manufacterers, but not new tire manufacterers.

Also, something I just remembered: Does Harsk get to keep his entry for the Monster Energy race at Bristol?
Since he has found a drive for a few races, yes. Anyone competing can enter.

Polaris Motorsports is here to formally announce that Diego Jaramillo will join Jamie Ngaire-Jardine and Stephanie Porter-Kelley in racing the full 2017 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series season. Jacob Descoteau will remain on standby with the team at all races in 2017 in the case that a substitute is needed by any of the teams affiliated with Polaris Motorsports and Chevrolet. Alienware will stand in to be a sponsor of the #4 Chevrolet for 10 points events, with further details yet to be ironed out. Jaramillo will be running in the red Alienware scheme, while Ngaire-Jardine will be running in pink and Porter-Kelley will be running in blue. Further details should be provided by Fontana.

One of news coming out tonight and one more tomorrow.
The points system in the Straight Talk IndyCar Series has remained very much unchanged from 2016 until now. VRR has announced that it has adjusted the points system to move down to 1 point beyond 25th position. In 2016, 25th and lower would receive 5 points, whereas now, 25th will earn 5, but the decrease will continue until 29th will earn 1 point. Every position below 29th will also earn 1 point. VRR has also added that cars that fail to complete 90% race distance in relation to the leader will only score any bonus points they have earned. VRR CEO Evangeline Porter has stated that "...in this time of expansion, consistency and reliability on the race track must be emphasized. This shouldn't affect people hardly any worse than if the system remained the same, but should better highlight the true championship contenders beginning next year."

The points system in the Straight Talk IndyCar Series has remained very much unchanged from 2016 until now. VRR has announced that it has adjusted the points system to move down to 1 point beyond 25th position. In 2016, 25th and lower would receive 5 points, whereas now, 25th will earn 5, but the decrease will continue until 29th will earn 1 point. Every position below 29th will also earn 1 point. VRR has also added that cars that fail to complete 90% race distance in relation to the leader will only score any bonus points they have earned. VRR CEO Evangeline Porter has stated that "...in this time of expansion, consistency and reliability on the race track must be emphasized. This shouldn't affect people hardly any worse than if the system remained the same, but should better highlight the true championship contenders beginning next year."
That's news...*recalling the first few races of 2016 for the 7 and 79*...yeaah, methinks I better have gotten the engine build right. Ehhhehehh. (I can't find an appropriate picture that wouldn't break AUP).

"SEB SCORES 0 POINTS, STARTS EVERY RACE"

I can see it now: "Andrew Draco sets VRR Record for most points scored without recording a classified finish."

The final two puzzle pieces for the 2017 calendar have now been closed. The Straight Talk IndyCar Series is set to make a return to Lausitz following what has been described as a successful 2016 event. Round 21 will see another first for the series as it heads to the former host of the F1 French Grand Prix, the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours. The series also revealed that the race at Toronto will be double header events. This moves the calendar up to 27 points paying events across 26 weekends in 2017 in addition to 4 tests and two exhibitions.

The final two puzzle pieces for the 2017 calendar have now been closed. The Straight Talk IndyCar Series is set to make a return to Lausitz following what has been described as a successful 2016 event. Round 21 will see another first for the series as it heads to the former host of the F1 French Grand Prix, the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours. The series also revealed that the race at Toronto will be double header events. This moves the calendar up to 27 points paying events across 26 weekends in 2017 in addition to 4 tests and two exhibitions.
Is the OP Schdule updated to reflect this?

I approve of the new 2 in T.O. A slight shame there's no standing start for it.

Beginning in 2017, VRR will have an official music playlist consisting of 50 songs selected by the VRR community and the playlist curator. For 2017, the curator is none other than VRR driver and 2016 Rookie of the Year contender Sakura Ishibashi. For those interested in contributing to the playlist, send her your suggestions by private conversation. The playlist will be accessible via Spotify on Halloween, with the final playlist selection revealed the day before.

Approaching a month left until I start running the 2017 events, and I have only received cars from two people so far. For those that have not yet finalized details, you need to do that ASAP. Those needing to finalize AI details need to read the OP and then fill out the form at the bottom. Tagging those that may either be interested or have already expressed interest in the series: @Crashbroke23 @YayoiGT2 @BGT2011 @Dylan @FrzGT NOTE: All full time seats are currently filled. Part time teams are allowed and teams are looking for part time drivers as well. Once you fill out the form in the OP, please tell me the races you wish to enter in a private conversation. For those that can make their own livery, template is also at the bottom of the OP.

Announcement from Team Porter coming out on Friday, October 7th.

As mentioned in the 2016 thread, the winners of the VRR Indianapolis 500 will grace the template cover for that following year. So that means that for the 2017 template, here is the 2016 winner:

Dallara DW12 Template (VRR STICS 2017).png

I may possibly do a Similar style poster featuring that year's champion.

As mentioned in the 2016 thread, the winners of the VRR Indianapolis 500 will grace the template cover for that following year. So that means that for the 2017 template, here is the 2016 winner:

View attachment 592870

I may possibly do a Similar style poster featuring that year's champion.
That looks amazing.

Great job with those covers! Would there be plenty of bragging if, say... a certain RACECAR or Angel won the VRR Indianapolis 500 and had a picture like this made in their honor?

Great job with those covers! Would there be plenty of bragging if, say... a certain RACECAR or Angel won the VRR Indianapolis 500 and had a picture like this made in their honor?
Probably not.

I believe I had someone taking care of my liveries? Last time I got word form @Clayton Hardy this was the care, if I remember correctly.

If not, anyone want to make the next Bambimobile?
According to my knowledge, RACECAR is taking care of Cherokee Motorsports' cars.

Adding a statement on the series. Regardless on if I have everyone's cars on October 31st, the deadline for entries will remain at that date.

Osaka, Japan--Move aside, CDR! There's a new team in the Land of the Rising Sun. Joining the VRR ranks in 2017 is Impulse Racing, started by current VRR IndyCar driver Sakura Ishibashi with day to day operations being managed by Asumi Matsuo. The new team will be utilizing Audi engines, Ishibashi having been a driver for Audi's works WEC campaign from 2012-early 2016. The team will enter the 2017 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series season with two full time drivers in Ishibashi and 'Filipino Flyer' Jerome Torres, who trained in Cat Devil Racing's program together. Both of them will be joined by Tyler Parker for a limited schedule. Parker will also be racing in the team's Indy Lights campaign full time alongside Mari Hirano of Sapporo, Japan and Ignacio Amaya of Balcarce, Argentina. The team will also be campaigning in the American Formula Renault 2.0 Series, with Oriana Mariani of Izola, Slovenia, Ryo Nakamura of Tokyo, Japan, and Siska Budiaman of Jakarta, Indonesia occupying those seats. An interview with the team's IndyCar drivers will be coming soon.

2017 will be a very interesting year for 23 year old 'Swiss Miss', Nicole Liechti. In 2017, she will be racing in the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series, making this the first time she has raced in the U.S. for a championship. In 2013, she raced in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, racing a Black Rose Racing Ferrari 458 to third in GT class. That race marked her first race with team owner Angel Porter as well as her only race to date in the U.S. so far.

But what put her in that position? What put her on Porter's radar? Liechti's professional career started in 2009 when she competed in the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 Series. After karting from the age of 5 to the age of 15, then 16 year old Liechti lit the series ablaze, finishing third in her first season of open wheel cars. A sophomore season for the Lausanne-native would see her win the championship, only the second ever behind a 2009 karting title. 2011 would see her climb the ladder to European Formula 3, where she would finish 4th in the standings. A second season in Euro F3 would give her the championship. However, with not enough sponsorship funding to move up further, she would make a lateral move to Japanese Formula 3 in 2013. However, she had caught Porter's attention by this point, and in January 2013 had the race in the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona. While she raced in Japan F3, she would continue running endurance races with Angel and Black Rose Racing, notably in the Nurburgring 24 and Spa 24 Hours, winning in Pro-Am Class in Spa and finishing top 5 in SP9 class in Nurburg. By the end of the year, she had also claimed the Japanese F3 title. Still unable to find a drive in GP2, she moved to Super Formula, racing for Black Rose Racing's then new Super Formula team and was notable for immediately racing against Sakura Ishibashi and Hiroaki Okawara for the championship. It would not be in Liechti's favor as Okawara would win the championship. Liechti would take runner up, with Ishibashi third. All three would be competing again for the championship in 2015, with the outcome being the same. While Ishibashi departed the series in 2016 to pursue IndyCar, Liechti stayed, and is currently leading the series with one weekend remaining.

Porter had much to say about Nicole when the announcement was made Friday that Liechti would be driving the #81: "The thing I think I appreciate most about Nicole is how calm she is behind the wheel. She doesn't push the car to the brink or abuse the tires. She finds the limit and just holds it there. While yeah, 110% may be necessary at moments, finding someone who can make 100 seem like 70% is impressive and Nicole has that quality."

"I am obviously honored to be given the opportunity to race in the Straight Talk IndyCar Series." Liechti stated during the press conference, "There is massive respect between Angel and myself. I think that she's undoubtedly a phenomenal driver and she's done a great job as a team leader. Even given all the DNFs, the team is still third in team points, and three of the four full time drivers have won races. That's impressive and it gives me optimism. For her to be giving me an opportunity to drive the number 81, a number that is so close to her, it just magnifies the faith she has in me, and I aim to not disappoint. I am not certain to how fast I'll be immediately, but I will definitely learn as I go and I will give my all to bring the team championships again."

This is slightly alarming, but...
Cars I have received as of 17 October 2017:
#4 Alienware Red Chevrolet
#24 Dupont Chevrolet
#24 New York Jets Chevrolet
#48 Alienware Pink Chevrolet
#64 Mobil 1 Honda
#66 Under Armour Chevrolet
#79 The Y CGS Ford
#79 Dublin Bottling Works Ford
#84 Alienware Blue Chevrolet
#90 Bud Light Chevrolet

Cars still needed:
#2 Reese's Cup Aston Martin @tbwhhs
#2 Dish Network Aston Martin
#3 Panasonic Audi @Sakura
#3 Dairy Queen Audi
#4 RUNUP Group Chevrolet @Suzumiya
#5 Pakistan International Airlines Aston Martin @Smurfybug
#6 Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals Audi @Zooparker
#7 Google Ferrari @Formidable
#7 Coca-Cola Ferrari
#9 GT Sport Audi @Whitetail
#10 Johnnie Walker Black Label Audi @AudiMan2011
#10 Turn 10 Studios Audi
#11 Target Chevrolet @DcrRaikkonen
#11 T-Mobile Chevrolet
#13 Total S.A. Chevrolet @optiongamers
#14 Mello Yello Ferrari @DCybertron
#15 Pepsi Honda @GranTurismo916
#16 Blu Electronic Cigarettes Honda @quietgirl
#17 Nikon Honda @vetteman24
#17 GoPro Honda
#18 Sony Honda @KuniKino****a
#18 Mountain Dew Pitch Black Honda
#19 GameStop Honda @RACECAR
#19 Mountain Dew Baja Blast Honda
#20 Doritos Chevrolet @DurWinning
#20 New York Giants Chevrolet
#23 British Airways Ferrari @ECGadget
#26 Dragon War Audi @Antares26
#26 Samsung Audi
#28 Texaco Havoline Chevrolet @Luis Torres
#28 Miller Genuine Draft Chevrolet
#30 Superchips Chevrolet @Michelin
#33 Petronas Audi @NearCptNitro
#37 Shell Chevrolet @Pezzarinho17
#37 DHL Express Chevrolet
#43 Lego Ford @GTracerEHTeam
#43 National Geographic Ford
#48 T-Mobile Chevrolet @RedDragon
#50 Logan's Roadhouse Aston Martin @swiftsmith
#50 Bilstein Shocks Aston Martin
#51 Martini & Rossi Ferrari @AJHG1000
#51 Coca-Cola Ferrari
#55 Amazon Aston Martin @catamount39
#55 USO Aston Martin
#76 Burger King Chevrolet @Niku Driver HC
#76 Snack King Chevrolet
#77 Coca-Cola Vanilla Ferrari @Kingofweasles
#77 Ray Ban Ferrari
#80 Intel Honda @nascarfan1400
#80 Bass Pro Shops Honda
#81 Monster Energy Ferrari @Angel
#81 Rolex Ferrari
#83 Home Depot Honda @Harsk100
#84 Bethesda Softworks Chevrolet @amaterasu
#86 Kicker Audio Cosworth (Ford) @YayoiGT2
#96 Royal Crown Cola Audi @Clayton Hardy

Granted, some joined later, so that can explain a few. But there's a ton that are unaccounted for.

My laptop is a toaster and cannot run NR2003. If I really do have to supply my own template for 2017, I'll be out to lunch...

Well, as for me, the Burger King livery will be the same as last year's, so that people wouldn't have a hard time trying to make a new one. I don't have it, someone else in my team does (either Jah or Mich, but definitely not me)... That's my five cents on that matter.

Back