[VRR][B-SPEC] 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 1,040 comments

What Sponsor Would You Want For 2018-2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Audi Sport have stepped forward and offered Ecurie Ecosse a 40% refund on the amount the team have spent on engines for the 2016 season. Cherokee Motorsports have also stepped in to offer an additional 10% to the team. "We take pride in perfecting our engines and being the best on the track and off." An Audi spokesperson said. "Whatever has happened to the engines that went to Gary Slater and his outfit, the responsibility falls on us to cover some the damages because we sincerely have failed that team on multiple occasions."
Cherokee Motorsports have not lent much comment on their support of funds to the team, but have stated that they are thankful for the loyalty and trust the Scottish outfit has put in them.

Where do I submit a paint scheme, I can't find it in the OP? I have a ZIP of both my primary and secondary car and crew

Where do I submit a paint scheme, I can't find it in the OP? I have a ZIP of both my primary and secondary car and crew
You just submit schemes through private convo. Preferably the private convo I made for everyone to use ages ago that I need to add the new people to.

The calendar is pretty much set, asides from the possibility of one more European event near the end of the season. The season is 26 points races long currently, along with two exhibitions and a number of planned tests. “The possible date is between Barcelona and Brno.” VRR CEO Evangeline Porter said to media on Thursday. “Silverstone, Magny-Cours, and Zandvoort have all stepped forward saying they would make it work and make it worth our while. Talks are still in the early going, but we could line something up if the funding and details come through with one of them.”
However, Porter also would rather the series calendar stay as it is. “I think having 26 strong events from early February to mid November is an amazing thing and I'd be perfectly fine keeping it that way. As I said before, everything needs to lineup perfectly for that extra race to make it. It's possible, but I'm not going to be upset if it doesn't.”

Chevrolet has made it known that upgrade parts may not get to every team at the same time next year. The American manufacturer had downscaled its engine production of the units needed for the series, only to find itself needing to produce more than it is in 2016. "I think everyone saw Chevrolet as the dominant force in the Verizon IndyCar Series and thought that it's success would carry over here, but we're currently last of the three in 2016, which shows how much things are already different between the two series." a Chevy spokesperson said. "Then you add on the fact that we have to supply at least 12 entries full time on our own next year and you see the difficulty. We honestly wouldn't be upset if VRR stepped in and moved teams to different engines. We only anticipated supplying Polaris, TKU and TCU. We appreciate the demand, but we may not be able to fulfill all of the upgrade demands."

Stephanie Porter-Kelley remains optimistic. "Chevrolet, Pratt and Miller, and the development staff are all working hard to provide the supplies for everyone to perform at optimum levels next year. But if they don't, there's a pecking order to who gets those upgrades first. Obviously Polaris gets them on schedule. The Upton cars get them on schedule given they're Chevy's best team right now. I have no idea if the other Chevy teams will get them on time or a race later because right off the bat, that's 8 cars they're supplying. We haven't even considered SRF, Big Blue, or potentially the rogue entry Devereux may have. That's frightening as a manufacturer this high up in the order. Then we have to throw in the potential of more than two limited season cars. It gets logistically complicated."

David Rossi was asked about the possibility of not getting engines on time and his response was.. David Rossi " We have fully belief in the Pratt and Miller guys they have done great things this year and we expect even better next." We will know our engines will be reliable do to the factory teams trying out the new things first and ironing out the problems , even though there is still a chance for us to get them on time."

"Well, I believe that it is good that this new team of mine have given me the chance to participate in the series, but I feel as if the team manager has not given me enough credit for what I have done in Cherokee this year. I feel as if I deserve something a bit better than a part time seat, but if that is what the people on the top believe, then I will follow the orders until I get a better offer. Even though something is better than nothing, sometimes some other things are better than other things." - Interview from Automobilista Magazine, a Spanish motorsport editorial

Polaris Motorsports owner and driver Stephanie Porter-Kelley spoke to the Orlando Sentinel on the comments Diego Jaramillo made and on how her team stands. "I think it's obvious that everyone on the team deserves a full time ride next year." Porter-Kelley stated. "However, we only ever had two following the finalization of the merger with Bauer NTi, which sucks when you think of all the entries that changed hands. VRR never reached out and gave us an option to pick up another one. As far as backing goes, the team remain firm on the notion that all full time cars will have Alienware sponsorship. Alienware and Dell remain fully committed to our team, and we are grateful for that...VRR have tipped us on the possibility of a couple entries not being financially capable of competing next year. As a factory team, we now have first claim on those seats if they emerge as an available option. The ideal scenario is that we get both. If we get one, it'll come down to two factors. How did Diego and Jacob fare in their 2016 campaign, and how accepting they would be of having an Alienware scheme for part of the season."

Indianapolis won't be the only points paying event to pay the winner in seven digits. Michigan, Pocono, Fontana, and Kentucky will follow a separate but higher-than-average prize payout system. “The Crown Race hosts have agreed to a certain rate in 2017 that will see them provide a race purse not as high as Indianapolis but higher than the other races.” VRR CEO Evangeline Porter. “Finalizing final details is a matter of just finalizing position payouts beyond the top ten.”
On September 1, 2016, VRR will be releasing a full report detailing the approved ovals and road courses for IndyCar and for the Truck Series. Tracks suitable for IndyCar and Indy Lights use will be seen with grades 1-3, while tracks suitable for closed cockpit cars only like trucks or stock cars will receive a grade 4-6. The document will be posted publicly via a PDF file for everyone to access. The report is planned to be a yearly report.
The rules have been amended to allow for teams to use and modify pre-existing paint schemes for the season. As a result, VRR have added specification that despite the possibility of cars having more than 5 associate sponsors, only up to 5 associate sponsors that do not clash with other drivers primary or secondary sponsor will be counted toward financial contribution. Rules regarding the ban of tobacco sponsors, ludicrous, and itasha* designs remain in effect.

*For those wanting an explanation as to why itashas are not allowed, outside of Japan, itashas are not present on open wheel cars. We aim to be as realistic as possible, so until an itasha is used in the real life IndyCar Series, we will continue to disallow those types of cars. This doesn't mean that they can't be a sponsor on your car. But they have to follow the more traditional method of advertising on cars.

The end of the 2016 season is nearing quickly, and with that, there will come many changes to lineups ahead of 2017. One of those is Descoteau, who will stick with Chevrolet, but will be bumped down to a part time ride with Polaris Motorsports. In a recent interview, we caught up with him to discuss the future. Here's what he had to say.

"Although I'm rather bummed that I will no longer be racing full time in 2017 due to certain complications, and I won't be racing with the #22 on the car, I can't wait to get started. I know that I've done pretty well this season with the exclusion of a few events due to bad luck. Come 2017, I think we can do just as well, if not, better than we have this season. As for the chance of getting a full time seat, I'd be all for that. There's bound to be at least a few entries for next season that are deemed incapable of competing due to finances. Hopefully we can scoop those up, and we'll be on our way. I know Steph has talked to both Diego and I about the sponsorship deals, and how they relate to full time rides. Whatever it takes to get a full time ride, I'd be for it."

The Coca-Cola Truck Series won't be the only support series for the Straight Talk IndyCar Series next year. VRR is announcing the beginning of the Toshiba Indy Lights Series and the American Formula Renault 2.0, two series with the goal of preparing stars of the future for the Straight Talk IndyCar Series. Each series will field 24 drivers per weekend, with the Toshiba Indy Lights Series following the Straight Talk IndyCar Series around for 14 race weekends, and the American Formula Renault 2.0 following the series around 10 of the North American races. (Out of roleplay: The feeder series will act as an "Adopt An AI" program, with the ambition of giving unclaimed AI a background to prepare them for future use by anyone in the series or outside of VRR. This way, if a GTP member has a driver die, they can give themselves to opportunity to find a replacement AI, get permission from whatever team that AI is a part of, and use that AI as a substitute here, in the Truck Series, or possibly in a different series that requires realistic AI names.)

Details for the Toshiba Indy Lights Series are as follows:
-Teams can support up to 4 drivers. GTPlanet members can claim up to two a piece, one male and one female driver.
-GTPlanet members can create their own drivers for the series, either as a part of their own teams or as free agents for others to potentially use (see below the Formula Renault 2.0 details)
-For the first season (2017), all cars will be provided for by VRR via the original Smiffsden IndyCar mod. This series will use the road course aero kits. Beyond next year, teams will have to submit their own schemes.
-As stated above, the series will use the old IR-11 chassis with road course aero. Engines will be turbocharged inline 4 engines provided by Honda. Tires will be Firestone Firehawks.
-Car numbers will be limited to what is available in the original mod for 2017. As with the schemes, numbers open up as well for beyond that.
-Oval races will be 150-200 miles in length, or enough to make one pit stop.
-Road course races will be 100-125 miles in length.
-If races are broadcasted, they will be likely without any commentary. Races happen on Saturdays

Details for the American Formula Renault 2.0 Series:
-Teams can support up to 3 drivers each. A GTPlanet member can be in charge of all three drivers on that team.
-The series will use the IR-11 chassis with oval aero, with engines being naturally aspirated inline 4 engines provided by Renault. Tires will be Firestone Firehawks.
-Teams in the Indy Lights Series can reserve the same numbers and cars for the Formula Renault Series to maintain consistency.
-Oval events will feature a single race that is 20% the IndyCar Series event.
-Road course events will feature a pair of races, with the sprint race being 10% the IndyCar Series event and the feature being 15% the IndyCar Series event. Top 6 in the sprint race will be inverted for the feature race grid.
-Races may or may not be broadcasted. Entire events will take place on Fridays.

Details as to what is required to submit AI drivers:
-All AI drivers must have a realistic fictional name. If you have trouble with this, there are websites and apps that can help you out.
-AI must have a date of birth.
-AI must have a location. City, state/province, country.
-Recommended would be a resume of their career before joining a series, but it's understandable if they don't because let's be honest, they're going through feeder series for this reason anyways.

List of available numbers and pre-made AI drivers will be released on Friday.

NOTE: Anyone can field teams in these series! Finance rules do not carry over to the feeder series, so don't be afraid to jump in and test the waters.
One venue more than happy to host the Straight Talk IndyCar Series is the Brno Circuit in the Czech Republic. The 3.35 mile circuit had its fastest sellout of an event ever with the 2016 Audi Indy Grand Prix of Masaryk. With Audi remaining as a crucial supporter of the event, and with VRR CEO Evangeline Porter willing to make the sanctioning fee work for them, the track organizers are more than willing to keep working with VRR. “What we've seen is a response way more than what we've seen from a MotoGP weekend in years.” A track spokesperson said. “VRR has been very kind to us. They are determined to race at Brno, and the crowd obviously are thrilled to have a premier open wheel event here. The track is a challenge, even for the series. It'll be a treat watching them manage themselves around our beautiful circuit.”
Indeed, the track will be a very heavy challenge. Brno plays host to the largest elevation changes on the calendar, and being at over three and a quarter miles long, is the longest track on the calendar as well.
One of the powerhouse teams will undergo a dramatic change ahead of the 2017 season. Black Rose Racing will be splitting itself up to form two separate teams beginning this winter. Black Rose Racing will begin its move to Italy to be based out of Maranello, taking advantage of the usage of the noted Fiorano Circuit as a test facility, while the newly formed Team Porter will remain in the Cincinnati-located base. Both teams will have two full time entries and a part time entry to start, with Black Rose getting the established stars of Andrew Draco, Alan Herrera, and reigning Indy 500 champion Steven Gnash, while Team Porter will retain Patrick Marcelli, E.C. Gadget and whoever fills the full time #81 car. “We needed a quality customer team, and to do that, we needed to split our powerhouse up into two teams.” Evangeline Porter said on the split. “Black Rose Racing will have our experienced and talented drivers while Team Porter will work on developing stars with Ferrari power. Outside of me being team owner for both of them, they will become two completely separate teams once the current season comes to an end.”
“Angel deciding to do this for us is a show of her loyalty to the Cavallino Rampante (Prancing Horse)” Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne said about the decision to split. “She is a very smart woman and a very valued business partner. She understands how valuable this is to us and we owe it to her to prove this was a smart and reliable business decision. We aim to win and to take this fight to Chevrolet, Honda, and the others behind the Black Rose banner.”

2017 VRR Straight Talk Indycar Series Team Stream, Live from VRR Headquarters in Cincinati, Ohio

October 8th, 4:00 PM CST

??? - 12:00 PM CST
Ecurie Ecosse
Pearl Speed GP
Rainbow Road Racing
Starion Motorsports
Scuderia Rabia Furiosa
Swift Autosport
Team Christie Upton
Team Kate Upton
Black Rose Racing
Team Porter
Polaris Motorsports
Cat Devil Racing

Last edited:
But I'll do it better.
Have fun with your manufacturer-mates Harsk and...
giphy.gif

I guess that's the real reason for the split :lol:

Have fun with your manufacturer-mates Harsk and...
giphy.gif

I guess that's the real reason for the split :lol:
You also are making the assumption that his team is financially secure enough to not drown in 2017.

Polaris Motorsports has officially been granted a third full time entry for 2017, reportedly the entry previously held by HRSC Racing. HRSC Racing, who have been in financial difficulties since Indianapolis according to VRR sources, have been pulled from the entry list for 2017 following a "significant failure" in management which has resulted in the team collecting up to 2 million dollars in debts. And while liquidation of the team's assets is almost inevitable, Polaris Motorsports have agreed to pay up to $250,000 of that debt in good graces for the seat. None of HRSC's team will be moving to Polaris in the exchange. "It's unfortunate that the team didn't manage itself properly, but this is a business and we must take this and make good out of it." Team boss Stephanie Porter-Kelley stated. It is uncertain as to who will take the third seat, with both Diego Jaramillo and Jacob Descoteau wanting the seat and Alienware remaining firm in the notion that the new full time entry will carry Alienware as a main sponsor for at least 10 races next year.

Back