Wallbanger's "Tons of Fun"(Final Round Underway)

Praiano has a good point and it's something the testers should keep in mind IMHO, that we're looking for a Grand Touring ride as testers not a race car ride. The car should be fast of course, but predictable and relatively easy to drive, with little drama at either end, or at least that was my understanding of it. In the first round, the cars that conformed to that list of attributes got the best ratings from me, regardless of their overall speed.

I was a little surprised in my first bit of testing I couldn't get the Veyron to attain the fastest laps anymore at the Nurb, although the car does feel a little better than it did at Monza.

Good afternoon everybody. So "the torque is going to the wrong tyre" ?? I don't think so. The car specifications for this contest were to build a Gran Turismo car ,with good handling ,comfortable,fast and easy to drive with no surprises. The LSD setting help the car in this way, sure you'll still need throttle control ,but less than you would need for a race car. So , if even with this setting you spin the inside rear wheel , it' because the driver is too confident and the car allow to do so without sanctions. It's easy to control and the first sinal of oversteer are easy to identify.
That's why for me the LSD is not wrong for this kind of car in this contest only. This was my goal and i think it's right in the middle. The other car that for me have the same behaviors is the DigitalBaka Ferrari California '08 GT "Solar Flare. Talking about FR of course. I love this car..... for a coll fast drive only ,put on change time on the Nordschleife 7PM and enjoy the sunset.

Have a good day everybody. ><((((°>°°°°°°°°
I agree, but not just for a GT. Low LSD's allow the driver to drive on the limits without the fear of the car suddenly snapping around, which means they can push harder and faster constantly.

If the inside isn't spinning first, it's too tight. :P

...So "the torque is going to the wrong tyre" ?? I don't think so. The car specifications for this contest were to build a Gran Turismo car...
... with good handling ,comfortable,fast and easy to drive with no surprises...

...That's why for me the LSD is not wrong for this kind of car in this contest only
I haven't driven your car, but I totally agree with that philosophy. When I was testing, I kept the GT criteria in the front of my mind, so my scoring was completely different to if it was a race car challenge.

I agree, but not just for a GT. Low LSD's allow the driver to drive on the limits without the fear of the car suddenly snapping around, which means they can push harder and faster constantly.
Outside of GT comps, IMHO there is sometimes good reason to spin the outside first. For a car that has exit understeer problems, the rotation can be a good way to compensate. Agreed that you start walking a thin line with this approach, though!

Anyway, I'm not involved with this comp any more, but am keenly watching from the sidelines. All the best to those battling it out in the final!

If your looking for wheels spin and oversteer then the gtr will be right up your street :) that thing is wild! But good fun and quick. I did a lap drifting the corners rather than take them normally and it's lots better :D

:D. I think I might have "over adjusted" the car :crazy::dopey:

Good luck with it you testers :nervous::scared:

Praiano has a good point and it's something the testers should keep in mind IMHO, that we're looking for a Grand Touring ride as testers not a race car ride. The car should be fast of course, but predictable and relatively easy to drive, with little drama at either end, or at least that was my understanding of it. In the first round, the cars that conformed to that list of attributes got the best ratings from me, regardless of their overall speed.

I was a little surprised in my first bit of testing I couldn't get the Veyron to attain the fastest laps anymore at the Nurb, although the car does feel a little better than it did at Monza.

I really agree with Johnny here. I don't want anyone to think that because I entered a Veyron that I am oblivious to the Grand Touring concept. I generally go for this style with my tunes and I think it showed with my driver's choice score in the roadster shootout.

In the first round I admit I went for speed. I figured it gave me the best chance to advance to the final. I think I did a good job there, getting better average times than the other Veyron with 200kg extra on board. But it wasn't what I wanted for the car.

I only had a couple hours to re-tune for the final. What I was shooting for, besides getting rid of some pretty bad understeer, was to make the car more drivable in a GT sense. This is what I wanted to do when I first picked the car - to try and see if I could make a Grand Tourer out of it. I could probably do a little better if I kept working on it, but I finally realized what you already know - there is only so much that can be done about that beast and it never will really be a GT car.

So yes it is slower now. Hopefully it drives better. Try to stay open minded, but my feelings will not be hurt if I get all 1's on the Driver's Choice.

I'm afraid I won't be able to continue as a test driver, with work and setting up my PS3 at last so I don't have to share anymore taking up all my time. Everything should be done by the new year, in time for me to (maybe) enter the next FITT event, and start planning my own event properly! :D

haahah wtf. How did I possibly not make it to the finals. Won like all the tracks and second at the photos. lol so many first and second victories.

haahah wtf. How did I possibly not make it to the finals. Won like all the tracks and second at the photos. lol so many first and second victories.

Dude, you got 2nd at Monza and 3rd at London. You did get 2nd in Photo but last in weight and Driver's Choice. If you would have won the time trials, you probably would have advanced, but it would have been close.

isnt the drivers choice catogary for how good the car feels as a GT car? If so stop moaning. There called time trials for a reason and its for who gets round the fastest :P

isnt the drivers choice catogary for how good the car feels as a GT car? If so stop moaning. There called time trials for a reason and its for who gets round the fastest :P

In the OP it says it is supposed to be marked on the "Ease and pleasure of driving" I interpreted this as it was supposed to be about how it drove and not about what kind of car it was. Although clearly this didnt work out for me last round, haha.

In the OP it says it is supposed to be marked on the "Ease and pleasure of driving" I interpreted this as it was supposed to be about how it drove and not about what kind of car it was. Although clearly this didnt work out for me last round, haha.

I drove your Lambo and was going to send you suggestions. It is probably the best Murciélago I have driven. It drifts a bit, but in a really good controllable way. I couldn't think of anything to suggest. But even the best Murciélago tune won't beat good tunes for cars that are better to drive at the start.

I don't know about you, but I have only been tuning seriously for a few months. Even though these guys are tons of fun to hang out with, they are some of the better tuners in the whole game 👍. I don't get discouraged when I don't finish at the top of the standings.

madmyk
I drove your Lambo and was going to send you suggestions. It is probably the best Murciélago I have driven. It drifts a bit, but in a really good controllable way. I couldn't think of anything to suggest. But even the best Murciélago tune won't beat good tunes for cars that are better to drive at the start.

I don't know about you, but I have only been tuning seriously for a few months. Even though these guys are tons of fun to hang out with, they are some of the better tuners in the whole game 👍. I don't get discouraged when I don't finish at the top of the standings.

"Best tuners" then what the hell am I doing here? :lol:

This is my first serious tune ;) unfortunately I couldn't work out how to get rid of that drift exiting the corners, luckily it won't cause you to spin off.

krenkme
"Best tuners" then what the hell am I doing here? :lol:

You and me both! I've only tuned for the three events I've entered so far. Mostly I slap on parts and adjust my driving to get around quick so for me to even make it as far as I have is a feat of stupendous luck. :D

Finish to publish a good tune, lot of pleasure to drive this very good TVR V8S, now i'm going to begin the second part of the test...:) Madrid reverse ???:scared: What's this ? I've never drive this track this way. Going to slam all yours cars, mine include. :):)

Gogogogogo !!!!

><((((°> °°°°°°°

Times madrid updated. Finish tomorrow with driver choice.

Times: Madrid Mini (Reverse)
49.331 XDesperado67 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 "Isabella"// 580pp
46.580 krenkme - Nissan GT-R SPEC V '09//610pp
46.680 Johnnypenso - Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09//629pp
xxxxxx wildheart90 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640 '09//612pp
49.849 praiano63 - Maserati Gran Turismo S '08//564pp
xxxxxxx ACSR421 - Lamborghini Murcialago LP670-4 SV '09//621pp
46.280 madmyk - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09//659pp
49.836 DigitalBaka - Ferrari California '08 GT "Solar Flare"//578pp

><((((°> °°°°

Your Veyron isn't really a GT car though, is it? And it's a bit of a mess to drive as well, even by the low standards of a Veyron.

But in that case, if we were only judging a car on how GT like a car is, I should really be in the top 5! :lol:

Onboy123
Your Veyron isn't really a GT car though, is it? And it's a bit of a mess to drive as well, even by the low standards of a Veyron.

But in that case, if we were only judging a car on how GT like a car is, I should really be in the top 5! :lol:

You guys seriously found my car tough to drive? It's so easy compared to other veyrons I found. Just break like 1 sec before the driving line goes red and barely press gas going around the corners than woooooosh away! Lol

You guys seriously found my car tough to drive? It's so easy compared to other veyrons I found. Just break like 1 sec before the driving line goes red and barely press gas going around the corners than woooooosh away! Lol

I suppose the thing to say about the Veyron is that the pace of the thing means that it's hard to tell weather (sp?) you're pushing it or braking too early. It bends your perspective on speed to a point where you could consider relearning to drive from the beginning.

Onboy123
I suppose the thing to say about the Veyron is that the pace of the thing means that it's hard to tell weather (sp?) you're pushing it or braking too early. It bends your perspective on speed to a point where you could consider relearning to drive from the beginning.

Lolo ok I'll give you that one. It's in the x1 or fgt category where it's just so different from any other car to drive.

One second entering some of the corners at Monza w/o chicanes is the length of a football field...lol.

What's the driving line?:crazy:

My results:

Times: Nürburgring GP/D
1.33.193 XDesperado67 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 "Isabella"// 580pp
1.28.345 krenkme - Nissan GT-R SPEC V '09//610pp
1.28.629 Johnnypenso - Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09//629pp
1.29.014 wildheart90 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640 '09//612pp
1.32.950 praiano63 - Maserati Gran Turismo S '08//564pp
1.28.992 ACSR421 - Lamborghini Murcialago LP670-4 SV '09//621pp
1.29.292 madmyk - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09//659pp
1.33.346 DigitalBaka - Ferrari California '08 GT "Solar Flare"//578pp

Times: Madrid Mini (Reverse)
49.331 XDesperado67 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 "Isabella"// 580pp
46.580 krenkme - Nissan GT-R SPEC V '09//610pp
46.680 Johnnypenso - Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09//629pp
46.678 wildheart90 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640 '09//612pp
49.849 praiano63 - Maserati Gran Turismo S '08//564pp
46.490 ACSR421 - Lamborghini Murcialago LP670-4 SV '09//621pp
46.280 madmyk - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09//659pp
49.836 DigitalBaka - Ferrari California '08 GT "Solar Flare"//578pp

Drivers Choice:
1.praiano63 - Maserati Gran Turismo S '08
2.DigitalBaka - Ferrari California '08 GT "Solar Flare"
3.Johnnypenso - Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09
4.wildheart90 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640 '09
5.XDesperado67 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 "Isabella"
6.ACSR421 - Lamborghini Murcialago LP670-4 SV '09 "Bodacious"
7.krenkme - Nissan GT-R SPEC V '09
8.madmyk - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09

Comments:
XDesperado67 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 "Isabella"
Perfect car , all the time on the grip , very good line, just need to take care at oversteer exit a corner under acceleration.
Need a lot of throttle control. This is the only medium point of this to be a real gran turismo. 8.5/10

krenkme - Nissan GT-R SPEC V '09
Very fast car but difficult to make regular fast laps , unstable. Eat a lot of tires and show oversteer exit corner. A lot of central rotation ,
good for evolution but sharp, not good for a GT car. Very good fun car on Madrid. 7.5/10.

Johnnypenso - Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09
Perfect car, no weak point, very good grip, you can play with throttle ,brakes , hand brake and wheel as you want, it will obey always without ba surprise. Supercar? GT? 9/10

wildheart90 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640 '09
Very good balanced car , fast , easy , good brake ,can make trail braking and carve gently out corner. Very pleasant drive.More Supercar than GT. 9/10.

praiano63 - Maserati Gran Turismo S '08
><((((°> °°°°°°°°°

ACSR421 - Lamborghini Murcialago LP670-4 SV '09 "Bodacious"
Perfect balance, perhaps too much stabilty, could be more agressive under braking entring and undes accel out of a corner,without been a racer. Can be more fast staying safe , with more rear brake and softer front bar, compression dampers and springs. Perfect car on Madrid. More a supercar than GT.
Very good tire wear. 8.5/10

madmyk - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09
To much power ,too much speed , difficult to find braking mark. The grip and handling is ok for a car like this, but still want to go straight with this tires.
Not a GT car for me. 7/10.

DigitalBaka - Ferrari California '08 GT "Solar Flare"
Same as ACSR421 but with a FR,the car is perfectly balanced, good grip and no surprise. But it's good even with a GT to have the option to induce a little controlable oversteer out a corner under accel. Just a little bit, to be more active and not so passive waiting the car end to turn. I love this car. 8.5/10

Ok, done. A lot of very good cars, very fast , top level tunes. What oriented my final driver choice was the Gran turismo specificity of each car. Fast, easy and safe, with a real GT look.

I'm 100% honest with myself judging my car in first place, i really think it's a good car. I don't like this kind of situation ,but for me it have to be here.

Have a good day everybody.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
><((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, done. A lot of very good cars, very fast , top level tunes. What oriented my final driver choice was the Gran turismo specificity of each car. Fast, easy and safe, with a real GT look.

I'm 100% honest with myself judging my car in first place, i really think it's a good car. I don't like this kind of situation ,but for me it have to be here.

Have a good day everybody.
><((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° ~~~~~~~~~~~~

:lol: though there will be controversy, I guess it's just how you feel towards the Maserati.

But my car does the 'easy, safe, and GT look' bit very well too!! :grumpy: :lol:

And is the Maserati still matte red?

Thanks for your feedback, I am happy that my improvements were positive :)

However I am a little confused, is your driver choice determined by the score you gave it out of 10 or the order you placed it in?

We have a really close race currently in the photo polls. If you haven't been over there to vote yet you need to do so!👍👍

:lol: though there will be controversy, I guess it's just how you feel towards the Maserati.

But my car does the 'easy, safe, and GT look' bit very well too!! :grumpy: :lol:

And is the Maserati still matte red?

My Maserati is gun metal don't know what....? Not red anymore, it was just to incentivize the test drivers. Like the spanish butchers are doing with the bulls:grumpy:.
Your car have the real spirit of the german GT ,fantastic car, it was a dream for me when i was kid in south of France to see old rich germans retired couple ,coming to spend the summer in their big 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280SE coupe. Still a dream car i think, more than ever with the time.
c283d7c75d.jpg

Thanks for your feedback, I am happy that my improvements were positive :)

However I am a little confused, is your driver choice determined by the score you gave it out of 10 or the order you placed it in?

Like i say, the lambos for me are not GT but supercars. the note is for my driving sensation and the driver choice include the Gran turismo spirit of the car. That's why.
><((((°> °°°°°°

My Maserati is gun metal don't know what....? Not red anymore, it was just to incentivize the test drivers. Like the spanish butchers are doing with the bulls:grumpy:.
Your car have the real spirit of the german GT ,fantastic car, it was a dream for me when i was kid in south of France to see old rich germans retired couple ,coming to spend the summer in their big 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280SE coupe. Still a dream car i think, more than ever with the time.
c283d7c75d.jpg

Like i say, the lambos for me are not GT but supercars. the note is for my driving sensation and the driver choice include the Gran turismo spirit of the car. That's why.
><((((°> °°°°°°

Pfftt…I liked Matte red more. :D Gun Metal paint is too boring, I liked the red, it gave the car more personality. And if GT were to include that Big Merc, I'm guessing you'd be the one who'd tune it first. And tune it to perfection. Right? :D Just tune the 300SL for now, it's hardly close enough, but at least it's from the same era.

Back