Wanna buy a new car - need ideas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 99 comments
  • 3,162 views
It's cheaper to buy a new car, yes in the short term, but long term its better to buy a new car because it will come with a minium 3 year warrenty.
 
But you can get wonderful cars when shopping used.

Here’s a screenshot of a list of bookmarks from various used-car sites (AutoTrader, KBB, etc.) that I’m keeping track of:

picture26uo.png


All of these cars cost under $16,000, and have less than 60,000 miles on them (and they happen to all be stick, but that’s somewhat beside the point). The Matrix XRS is even a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, and I think the SRT-4 is the only one on that list being sold by a private seller.

My point being, this represents a savings of $5,000–$10,000 (maybe even more with the Altima – I’m not sure how much a new 3.5 SE costs). That’s a lot of dough you can save to get a top-of-the-line car (and notice that all of these are 2003/4 models, so they’re not old at all).

And that’s at just $16k. You can get significantly better used cars for $20k (the difference between putting the price cap at $16k and putting it at $15k is stunning).
 
GET THE POINT! SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE USED CARS!

I won't ever buy a used car because I like owning something that no one else has owned before. Plus when you get a new car you just feel at home in it.
 
Thanks to people like you I will never have to cry about the cost of depreciation. No wonder there are so many EVO's in the UK because theyre all like youwho buy them new because theyre scared some kid might have raped them in their prior life and so make losses of up to 15 grand UK in the space of just over a year.

It doesnt make sense for anyone to ever buy a brand new car unless your swimming in money.
And blazing your argument about warranty is flawed because even if you buy a 2 year old car you the 1yr thats left of the warranty still transfers over to the new owner.
 
BlazinXtreme
GET THE POINT! SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE USED CARS!
Yeech, I just thought I’d point out the cost savings…
 
Not typically, if you buy a used car from a dealer they won't honor the warrenty. They will give you like a 90 day warrenty or you spend thousands to get one.

When I bought my truck it had 9 miles on it and well I liked that, it was my first new car and I don't think I will ever buy used again. Some people just like new things, and yes I come from a rich family and I do make a good living at GM.
 
Ah well money cant buy you sense.

If I was to even win the lottery I still wouldnt buy a car new unless I had to. A car thats 3 months old with 1000miles is practically new to me.
 
Depends on what you buy.

If i won the lottery, i would buy a Porsche 911 GT3, Subaru impreza WRX STi, an Mclaren F1 car driven by Kimi Raikkonen (thats the ony used car id make an exception too.)
 
BlazinXtreme
The SRT-4 sucks, I hate that car and I hate 95% of the people who drive them. Get over it, its still a Neon and other things can beat it.

...

Yes I agree there needs to be Type R's in the States so someone can shut SRT-4 owners up.
Like it or not, the SRT-4 is a "giant killer". It competes in the SCCA T2 class with, among others, the Supra, CTS-V, Camaro Z28, BMW M3, Mustang GT, and 350Z. Those are much more expensive and respected cars. Although one didn't take the class win, they have led quite a few laps...
 
ehh even if type Rs were to be brought here, the newer srt4s are still turbo and finally have lsd in the front.
a few boltons & they push 300hp and tq is pretty close to that number.

now a type R pushing that much hp, most likely has 2/3 the tq of 300, or maybe even HALF.
srt4s are nice, i would take it over a hype R.

for 10k you can have yourself a decent ls1 powered camaro/firebird. something to take into consideration, and a nice 6 speed (good on gas)
 
To me, a car that is of the same generation as the brand new ones still being sold at the dealership, is "new." A year ago a friend of mine was lucky enough to be given a used 2002 Toyota Celica GT by his parents. My friends and I all referred to it as a "new" car. :)

In reply to other mini-topics in the thread:

There's nothing wrong with Seats, they're just VW's that are nicer, with a different name. Same goes with Skodas.

Toyota no longer sells the Celica or the MR-S in the states.

An E46 BMW would be great, if Jedi can stand having a *gasp* "used car."

The SRT-4 is indeed a capable car, but it's a Neon, and it's overrated, just like many cars popular with the "import tuner" crowd.

:cheers:
 
Dodge is an import now?
 
For $20k, I'd get a 1997-2001 BMW 740i.

Think about it.

Also this.
 
M5Power
For $20k, I'd get a 1997-2001 BMW 740i.

Think about it.

Also this.


Damn it M5 I want to see a Blazer on your website! :lol: I'm such a nerd.
 
BlazinXtreme
Damn it M5 I want to see a Blazer on your website! :lol: I'm such a nerd.
I've got all the pictures I need for the 95-04 Blazer, but it probably won't be up until November. However, I recently added twin Oldsmobile Bravada.
 
I'm not particularly "against" used cars, it's just that I'd prefer a new one. I've owned four cars to date, all of them used, and three of them were pieces of s**t. A new car doesn't have that problem.

The general consensus seems to be to stick with the Golf GTI whenever they launch the MkV in the States. Which was pretty much what I wanted to do in the first place.. hehe.

A BMW would certainly be nice, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find one in my price bracket that I really like. I prefer the newer BMWs (last few years), especially the 3 series, but I'm not sure what they cost. M5, was that the 7 series in that pic? I think the new 7 series is fugly, were the older ones better-looking?
 
Jedi2016
I'm not particularly "against" used cars, it's just that I'd prefer a new one. I've owned four cars to date, all of them used, and three of them were pieces of s**t. A new car doesn't have that problem.

The general consensus seems to be to stick with the Golf GTI whenever they launch the MkV in the States. Which was pretty much what I wanted to do in the first place.. hehe.

A BMW would certainly be nice, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find one in my price bracket that I really like. I prefer the newer BMWs (last few years), especially the 3 series, but I'm not sure what they cost. M5, was that the 7 series in that pic? I think the new 7 series is fugly, were the older ones better-looking?

Yeah, the GTI would be great. :) 👍

However, if you're still thinking about an E46 3-series (1998-2005), Kelley says that you could probably find a 1998-2001 model that would be in your price range (the top-of-the-line-at-the-time 2000 328Ci coupe has a Suggested Retail Value of $21,100).

And the picture in that link was actually a Mercedes-Benz...the 1997-2001 BMW E38 7-series looks like this:

 
Actually I'm going to catch flak for this, but whatever.

The Chevy Cobalt SS non-supercharged is a nice little car.

171hp, 87 octane, sport suspension, no stupid looking wing, moonroof, 17's, Pioneer sound system with XM, 5 year warrenty, and you can get it with the discounts for about 18 grand
 
BlazinXtreme
Actually I'm going to catch flak for this, but whatever.

The Chevy Cobalt SS non-supercharged is a nice little car.

171hp, 87 octane, sport suspension, no stupid looking wing, moonroof, 17's, Pioneer sound system with XM, 5 year warrenty, and you can get it with the discounts for about 18 grand

The Cobalt is a pretty good car...it replaced the Cavalier, so it's okay by me. :lol:
 
svtsnake
ehh even if type Rs were to be brought here, the newer srt4s are still turbo and finally have lsd in the front.
a few boltons & they push 300hp and tq is pretty close to that number.

now a type R pushing that much hp, most likely has 2/3 the tq of 300, or maybe even HALF.
srt4s are nice, i would take it over a hype R.

for 10k you can have yourself a decent ls1 powered camaro/firebird. something to take into consideration, and a nice 6 speed (good on gas)

Type R has a better chassis and both in stock form the type R qould annilate the srt4.
A fwd car with 300hp isnt too much fun as a daily driver and a focus RS would still pawn the srt4 when both are modified to the limits.
 
A FWD with 300bhp wont be fun because of horrendous understeer:p wouldnt be so bad in a 4WD or a RWD.
 
300hp in a FWD will work, the SRT-4 staged up will and GM is releasing a Stage 3 kit for the Cobalt SS/ Redline soon and it will put those car at about 325hp 300lb. ft.
 
You guys sure are power hungry over there. Just imagaine if they gave upgrades like that for corsa's etc in the UK we would have a bunch of boy racers controlling the roads.
 
Well people now want fuel effiecent power...so what better way then to make factory sport compacts? It's all marketing.
 
ok not annilahate but it would still win. I am talking about the integra btw.
 
Young_Warrior
You guys sure are power hungry over there. Just imagaine if they gave upgrades like that for corsa's etc in the UK we would have a bunch of boy racers controlling the roads.

Precisely; we've got boy racers all over the place here... :yuck:

Also, any car that gets from 0-60mph in more than 6-7 seconds is considered "average" or "slow," and is generally considered worthless. As far as the majority of the general public is concerned, cornering ability has no merit in this country.

And 300+ hp + FWD = Optional Steering Wheel, 'cause you won't be able to turn anyway. :lol:
 
Young_Warrior
ok not annilahate but it would still win. I am talking about the integra btw.
You're literally comparing cars that go weight-for-weight and saying a 195hp car would beat a 230hp car. Do you understand that?
 
Back