Wanna buy a new car - need ideas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 99 comments
  • 3,162 views
It's a light 195 hp car with an LSD and one of the most developed chassis' in front wheel drive versus a 230 hp car with more weight and less rep... The Type-R is a pretty good car and COULD be faster ON TRACK stock-stock... But the SRT4 would most likely monster the Type-R on anything but a completely technical course because of all that grunt. They're doing some ****ing amazing things with that car in rallies... where steering doesn't really matter. :lol:
 
Young_Warrior
ok not annilahate but it would still win. I am talking about the integra btw.
Car and Driver tested a SRT-4, RSX, and few other cars.

The SRT was faster to 60. It was faster through the quarter, and quicker too. It was also faster on the autocross course.

Granted, the RSX won that comparo, but not because it was faster. Becuse it was more refined.
 
skip0110
Car and Driver tested a SRT-4, RSX, and few other cars.

The SRT was faster to 60. It was faster through the quarter, and quicker too. It was also faster on the autocross course.

Granted, the RSX won that comparo, but not because it was faster. Becuse it was more refined.

It wasnt the TYpe R version though was it. The type R version has 220bhp.
 
M5Power
You're literally comparing cars that go weight-for-weight and saying a 195hp car would beat a 230hp car. Do you understand that?

No the type R has 220bhp
 
niky
It's a light 195 hp car with an LSD and one of the most developed chassis' in front wheel drive versus a 230 hp car with more weight and less rep... The Type-R is a pretty good car and COULD be faster ON TRACK stock-stock... But the SRT4 would most likely monster the Type-R on anything but a completely technical course because of all that grunt. They're doing some ****ing amazing things with that car in rallies... where steering doesn't really matter. :lol:

Yet again I point out that the Integra Type R (current gen which we dont get in the UK and people dont get in the US) has 220bhp.

Infact some of the later civic Type-R's have now got 210hp so the later model civics would actually beat the SRT4 neon on most tracks as 20hp wont count for much in a front wheel drive car. Sometimes less power is better than more in FWD cars.
 
Young_Warrior
It wasnt the TYpe R version though was it. The type R version has 220bhp.

Oddly, some of us assumed you were referring to the Integra Type-R that the United States and Great Britain actually received rather than the one that's currently being sold only in Japan.

For the record, as far as I'm concerned, the US does get the current Integra Type-R, badged as the Integra Type-S, considering that horsepower is 210 on our Type-S versus 220 on the Type-R. And unless somewhere in that (negligible) ten horsepower is about a full second to 60mph, the SRT-4 is still quicker, meaning you're still wrong.
 
M5Power
Oddly, some of us assumed you were referring to the Integra Type-R that the United States and Great Britain actually received rather than the one that's currently being sold only in Japan.

For the record, as far as I'm concerned, the US does get the current Integra Type-R, badged as the Integra Type-S, considering that horsepower is 210 on our Type-S versus 220 on the Type-R. And unless somewhere in that (negligible) ten horsepower is about a full second to 60mph, the SRT-4 is still quicker, meaning you're still wrong.

No im not still wrong as 10hp difference in a fwd car wont make zilch of a difference on a track and quite frankly the DC5 is a more track orinted car whilst the srt4 is more of a straight line dragger.
 
Young_Warrior
No im not still wrong as 10hp difference in a fwd car wont make zilch of a difference on a track and quite frankly the DC5 is a more track orinted car whilst the srt4 is more of a straight line dragger.
1) No front wheel drive car is really a "dragger"
2) SRT-4 ACR is far more track oriented than any RSX you can get in the states. I can't speak for the type-R, but frankly no suspension magic can make up for the engine's weak torque (there is a 100 ft-lb difference between the SRT-4 and the DC5 type r: 250 ft-lb versus 152 ft-lb)
3) 10 hp will not close the gap between the SRT-4 and RSX Type-S. It might close some gaps, but not that one.
 
skip0110
1) No front wheel drive car is really a "dragger"
2) SRT-4 ACR is far more track oriented than any RSX you can get in the states. I can't speak for the type-R, but frankly no suspension magic can make up for the engine's weak torque (there is a 100 ft-lb difference between the SRT-4 and the DC5 type r: 250 ft-lb versus 152 ft-lb)
3) 10 hp will not close the gap between the SRT-4 and RSX Type-S. It might close some gaps, but not that one.

isnt it funny how just because you dont get the dc5 in the US you twist my winning argument into a losing one by changig the car. Well I dont get your bloody SRT40 in the UK and the focus RS will pawn the srt40 along with the dc5 and the hell we have a equivelant for your srt4 neon its called the vauxhall astra vxr with 240 hp and front wheel drive.
 
Last time I checked we were talking about car susgestions for someone in the US ;)

A suggestion of a car not sold in the US is not of much use ...
 
skip0110
Last time I checked we were talking about car susgestions for someone in the US ;)

A suggestion of a car not sold in the US is not of much use ...

Nice try but this is how we came to this argument/discussion

BlazinXtreme
Every picture of a Seat I've even seen is the ugliest damn thing. They might be a great car but I can't get past the looks.

The SRT-4 sucks, I hate that car and I hate 95% of the people who drive them. Get over it, its still a Neon and other things can beat it.

The Civic 3 Door SI looks like a mini van, but I've never driven one, I can't say how it is.
The RSX Type S is a sweet little car, that I wouldn't mind putting in my driveway.
The Celcia has sucked for a long time, and I think its discontined.

Yes I agree there needs to be Type R's in the States so someone can shut SRT-4 owners up.
 
Young_Warrior
No im not still wrong as 10hp difference in a fwd car wont make zilch of a difference on a track and quite frankly the DC5 is a more track orinted car whilst the srt4 is more of a straight line dragger.

The Dodge SRT4 would own the RSX Type S or the Honda Integra Type R. It doesn't really matter. The Type R sure as hell won't stand a chance in any acceleration test. The extra 10hp wouldn't make that much difference at all.

In acceleration (straight) = Dodge SRT4

On a race track - i'd still have my money on the SRT4 unless it has a lot of tight and twisty corners. Unless its one hell of a technical track, my money is still on the SRT4.

Now which I would rather have? I'd take the RSX Type S over the SRT4 anyday. Not because of performance but because of personal taste.

We do get the "DC5 Integra" - It's called an Acura RSX. Although we don't have the Type R version we still have the 210 hp Acura RSX Type S.

I understand the Type R might be a tad quicker than the Type S on the track - in a straight line or acceleration battle - it'd be about the same.

Young_Warrior, have you never heard of the edit button? Instead of posting three times in a row - how about just editing them? Try that. :)
 
I was making a point with the triple reply. A acura RSX is not a dc5. A dc5 is only a rsx/integra type r. Also the ride and handling between a type s and type r is quite large. the typre R is lower to the ground and the ride is alot harder than the type s.
 
For the record:

Acura RSX Type-S
- 210hp (143lb-ft) 2.0L DOHC I-4 (2840 pounds/1290 kg) (6-M)

Honda Integra Type-R
- 220hp (152lb-ft) 2.0L DOHC I-4 (2770 pounds/1260 kg) (6-M)

Dodge Neon SRT-4
- 230hp (250lb-ft) 2.4L DOHC I-4T (2970 pounds/1350 kg) (5-M)

The Integra's problem really is that torque figure - 98 pound-feet down from the Neon's in Type-R form. Furthermore, torque is produced unbelievably high in the range - on the Type-S, its unimpressive torque figure is made even more unimpressive by not coming in until 7000rpm! On the other hand, Neon's impressive 250lb-ft is available throughout much of the power band: that figure is produced at just 2200rpm. Integra-R has a 200lb advantage over Neon, but Neon holds a supreme torque advantage plus a marginal horsepower advantage, though it does give one single gear to Integra. Does the Integra-R have a limited-slip differential like Neon?

Young Warrior
A dc5 is only a rsx/integra type r.

You're wrong - a DC5 is any 2002-_ RSX or Integra, including the 160hp base RSX. If you don't believe me, log onto AutoTrader and search for used RSXs - the VIN will be JH4DC53 or JH4DC54.
 
So the other question to ask is whether those cars will offer me the same "all around" performance and general usage that the Golf will. And, of course, how they compare in terms of price, at those specifications.

What's the Golf V expected to launch at, anyway? I'm currently going under the assumption that it will cost about the same as the current Golf IV, which is around $20K.
 
Young_Warrior
I was making a point with the triple reply.

You could have easily make a point with one post that was edited three time. There is no reason to post more than one post right after each other unless it was a mistake.

Young_Warrior
A acura RSX is not a dc5. A dc5 is only a rsx/integra type r.

Wrong. And M5Power already explained why.

Young_Warrior
Also the ride and handling between a type s and type r is quite large. the typre R is lower to the ground and the ride is alot harder than the type s.

That maybe true - and it will be quicker than a RSX Type S at the track - but it still won't overcome the pure brute power of the SRT4 Neon.
 
You know the thing is that on top gear they tested the astra vxr with 240 hp fwd and limited slip I belive with a ton load of torque to boot and yet the time was very similiar to that of the civic type-r. Let me get my igures together. I actaully think the type r went round the track faster that the vxr did.
 
BlazinXtreme
Every picture of a Seat I've even seen is the ugliest damn thing. They might be a great car but I can't get past the looks.

The SRT-4 sucks, I hate that car and I hate 95% of the people who drive them. Get over it, its still a Neon and other things can beat it.

The Civic 3 Door SI looks like a mini van, but I've never driven one, I can't say how it is.
The RSX Type S is a sweet little car, that I wouldn't mind putting in my driveway.
The Celica has sucked for a long time, and I think its discontined.

Yes I agree there needs to be Type R's in the States so someone can shut SRT-4 owners up.
Yeah, other things an beat an SRT-4. Other very similar things can beat a Cobalt SS as well. And I'm fairly sure those are sold to the same twits you describe as being resentful towards for owning SRT-4's.
The Civic SI is not longer a performance car at all. A nice car, yes. Performance car, no.
The RSX Type-S is indeed a nice car, and a rather quick car as well, but is in no way faster than either an SRT-4 or a Cobalt SS.
And Celicas are actually the last sporty cars Toyota will probably sell in the next 5 years, and are actually quite enamored for their chassis tuning and good balance. Besides, it's far better than the car that replaced it: the Scion TC.

BlazinXtreme
However you can pick up a new GTi on a VW lot right now pretty cheap, and even cheaper if its an unsold 2005 model. But get the 1.8T because the VR6 is slower then the 1.8T, plus you can get a turbo with the 1.8T.

Other sporty compacts are there but I would suggest them, the SRT-4 is uncomfortable and loud as hell. It gets annoying quick. The Cobalt SS supercharged is decent, but they are tiny inside, the same goes for a Redline Ion. The Focus SVT just sucks, stay away from it.

You could get a new Civic Si, but they aren't out just yet and they are ugly as sin. I guess maybe an Acura RSX type-S but thats a little pricey. Mazda's aren't great cars, I wouldn't suggerst them, the Sentra SE-R I know nothing about, the Celica sucks, and that pretty much does it for that market.
Actually, the VR6 is the faster of the two because it has more torque.
The SVT Focus is probably the only sport compact sold in this country that could outrun the Cobalt SS and SRT-4, and it's an admirable car around town because of it's chassis.
Mazda Proteges are nice, admirably handling cars, but don't really pack any acceleration unless you get a MazdaSpeed or the MP3 versions.
The SE-R is fast, sure enough, but packs alot of torque steer because it uses the "small car, big motor" design of speed.

BlazinXtreme
Seats are not sold in the US, thank God.

Hot Hatches are not really that big in the US, so they wouldn't sell. However the Golf is by far the best one we get, because the only other hatchbacks I can think of are the Civic 3 door, the PT Cuiser, and the Mazda (3 maybe?).
Wait, what? All Seats are are rebodied, faster Volkswagens. The Ibizzi Cupra is just a Golf with less weight and a stiffer suspension.

Jedi2016
So the other question to ask is whether those cars will offer me the same "all around" performance and general usage that the Golf will. And, of course, how they compare in terms of price, at those specifications.

What's the Golf V expected to launch at, anyway? I'm currently going under the assumption that it will cost about the same as the current Golf IV, which is around $20K.

Edit: My suggestion? A new or close enough Volvo S40. $23,000 gets you all this:
Code:
    * Transversely Mounted, Naturally Aspirated, 2.4-Liter, 5-Cylinder, Double Overhead Cam with Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT)
    * 168 hp
    * 5-Speed Manual Transmission
    * Front Wheel Drive
    * Driver and Front Passenger Supplemental Restraint System - Dual-Threshold Air Bags
    * Side Impact Air Bags for Driver and Front Passenger
    * Inflatable Side Curtains (IC)
    * Whiplash Protection Seating System (WHIPS)
    * Intelligent Driver Information System (IDIS)
    * Security System
    * Safe Approach and Home Safe Lighting
    * Electronic Key Integrated Remote Control with Central Power Door Locks
    * Ultra-Slim Center Control Panel
    * Personal Settings for Locking, Audio and Climate Control
    * Performance Audio System with Single In-Dash CD
    * Audio Controls in Steering Wheel
    * 16" Alloy Wheels
Insurance will probably be less as well.
 
You know what guys I cant be bothered to argue as either way the srt4 neon is a fast car and so are all the type-rs either way everyones a winner.

Yo I got s40 but only 2.0 se with 130bhp. The sound system is ****ing amazing. All my mates uprated their soundsytems but I have never bothered because its sick. 8 speakers 2 tweeters the bass gets the windows shaking like a hoe in a ludacris video.

What year is that vovlo I have last generation which looks the mutts nuts wit uprated rims. The new gen s40 however is sexxxxxxy. It looks like a coupe and with some 18s its sooooo hotttttt.
 
Young_Warrior
You know what guys I cant be bothered to argue as either way the srt4 neon is a fast car and so are all the type-rs either way everyones a winner.

I ran the "GT4 Test" on that one just today, as a matter of fact. It has almost the exact same time around the Nürburgring as the Golf. "Almost" being less than half a second.. it was the Golf that was the faster, incidentally. It may be fast, but it's also an American car.. and those just don't handle as well as German cars do.

You see, I'm not just looking for a "fast" car.. I'm looking for a fun car.
 
Err... in GT4 it's Integra Type R... 2 seconds... SRT4... 10 seconds... Golf and RSX Type S.

Of course, the ITR in the game is 1170 kg, NOT 1260.

And (to YoungWarrior) all the talk about the ITR is pointless. Point is, the RSX Type S is a softer, less powerful and heavier car than the ITR (which isn't sold anywhere but Japan), and is definitely not SRT beating material. That said, it's probably a much easier car to live with, drive fast, and maintain over the long haul.

The Golf would be a nice car, but having never driven the new Golf in real-life, I'll reserve judgement about the fun-to-drive factor.

BTW, AFAIK (FYI :lol: ), the ITR does have an LSD.
 
2006 Civic SI, the car look alright, but has power, 197hp, and a HLSD tranny.
 
niky
Err... in GT4 it's Integra Type R... 2 seconds... SRT4... 10 seconds... Golf and RSX Type S.

Of course, the ITR in the game is 1170 kg, NOT 1260.

And (to YoungWarrior) all the talk about the ITR is pointless. Point is, the RSX Type S is a softer, less powerful and heavier car than the ITR (which isn't sold anywhere but Japan), and is definitely not SRT beating material. That said, it's probably a much easier car to live with, drive fast, and maintain over the long haul.

The Golf would be a nice car, but having never driven the new Golf in real-life, I'll reserve judgement about the fun-to-drive factor.

BTW, AFAIK (FYI :lol: ), the ITR does have an LSD.

Never once did I try to compare the RSX type S to the srt4 and I never even thought of reccomending the rsx type s over a mkv golf gti.
 
Yeah, other things an beat an SRT-4. Other very similar things can beat a Cobalt SS as well. And I'm fairly sure those are sold to the same twits you describe as being resentful towards for owning SRT-4's.

I never said the Cobalt SS was the best, but the SRT-4 are way over rated and people need to realize that. Every SRT-4 I've ever met (I've met a lot of them) has been idiots thinking they can beat anything and everything under the sun. I've even heard some of them say they can beat a Corvette, Mustang V8's, BMW M3's :lol:. Only about 75% of the Cobalt SS supercharged owners I know are like that.

The RSX Type-S is indeed a nice car, and a rather quick car as well, but is in no way faster than either an SRT-4 or a Cobalt SS.

Maybe not faster, but better...look at Car & Driver. They know more then you and me.

And Celicas are actually the last sporty cars Toyota will probably sell in the next 5 years, and are actually quite enamored for their chassis tuning and good balance. Besides, it's far better than the car that replaced it: the Scion TC.

Scions are not preformance cars, they are good starter cars for high school and college kids.

Actually, the VR6 is the faster of the two because it has more torque.

WRONG! Look at VW enthusist sites, 1.8T's beat VR6's all the time due to less weight, in fact they are pretty close to the same.

The SVT Focus is probably the only sport compact sold in this country that could outrun the Cobalt SS and SRT-4, and it's an admirable car around town because of it's chassis.

Are you sure you are thinking of the same car as me. 170hp is going to out run cars in the 200-220 hp range? Uh I would love I mean LOVE to see that happen. Even if its lighter the SS has 30 more horsepower and the SRT has 50.

Wait, what? All Seats are are rebodied, faster Volkswagens. The Ibizzi Cupra is just a Golf with less weight and a stiffer suspension.

I never said they were bad, I said they were ugly. There is a difference.
 
MMMMMmmmm leon
 

Attachments

  • leon cupra.jpg
    leon cupra.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 7
I still find it them ugly as hell, like I said they could be awesome cars they are jsut ugly as sin.
 
BlazinXtreme
I never said the Cobalt SS was the best, but the SRT-4 are way over rated and people need to realize that. Every SRT-4 I've ever met (I've met a lot of them) has been idiots thinking they can beat anything and everything under the sun. I've even heard some of them say they can beat a Corvette, Mustang V8's, BMW M3's :lol:. Only about 75% of the Cobalt SS supercharged owners I know are like that.
Noted.



BlazinXtreme
Maybe not faster, but better...look at Car & Driver. They know more then you and me.
I never said they weren't better cars, I know that they are. I just said that they are slower (regardless of if it was a Type-R or not)



BlazinXtreme
Scions are not preformance cars, they are good starter cars for high school and college kids.
I know, but the tC is marketed as a performance vehicle, and that makes me hate it.


BlazinXtreme
WRONG! Look at VW enthusist sites, 1.8T's beat VR6's all the time due to less weight, in fact they are pretty close to the same.
True, but not all of the 1.8T's have 180 BHP. Many of them have 150 BHP.


BlazinXtreme
Are you sure you are thinking of the same car as me. 170hp is going to out run cars in the 200-220 hp range? Uh I would love I mean LOVE to see that happen. Even if its lighter the SS has 30 more horsepower and the SRT has 50.
170 BHP? Yes, that one. I was trying to say that, due to it's far, far better chassis, it should be able to get more out of it while doing less. Even if a SVT at 10/10ths = a SRT-4 at 7/10ths, it's probably harder to use the SRT at 10/10ths anyways.

BlazinXtreme
I never said they were bad, I said they were ugly. There is a difference.
Noted.
 
Toronado
I know, but the tC is marketed as a performance vehicle, and that makes me hate it.
:lol: Agricultural engine, heavy body... obviously it's a sports car. :lol:
Toronado
True, but not all of the 1.8T's have 180 BHP. Many of them have 150 BHP.
Actually, the 150hp 1.8T's can be chipped easily... my country isn't the easiest to get tuning parts in, but a lot of guys with VAG 1.8Ts have them chipped to about 200+ hp.
Toronado
170 BHP? Yes, that one. I was trying to say that, due to it's far, far better chassis, it should be able to get more out of it while doing less. Even if a SVT at 10/10ths = a SRT-4 at 7/10ths, it's probably harder to use the SRT at 10/10ths anyways.
I agree. Steering before power... anytime.
 
I can vouch for the 1.8ts to be chipped easily over 200hp. Most of the VAG engines get huge power gains from chipping alone.
 
Back