Want a tuning tested Tested?

• Thread starter fbccars924
  • 62 comments
United States
Alton, Illinois
big_noobowski924
Hey guys Im an avid gt4 racer who is looking for tunes to run as i have slowly gotten bored with the same old same old. Now, Just to make this clear i am not a pro nor will i claim to be but, i am fairly skilled at gt4. I am looking for any tune you can throw at me that is either fun or a work in progress. In a sense Im your un-payed guinie pig for tunings. I do most of my testing at Fuji, Tsukuba and Apricot hill. Im not prejudiced towards any country or manufacturer. Im skilled at grip(time trial) and drift, I can do rally but im not the best but i will try on request. PM me with your tune and Ill reply back to you as soon as possible. Im also very interested in tunings that make your car do weird stuff i.e. wheelie glitch tuning. thank you and Live, Love and Play Louder.

May I suggest you test cars from the existing garages?
RVV, MFT (which you have discovered), Grease Monkey Engineering, Shogun ... there are lots of them mate.
Rate these tunes before you ask for more.

also, some of our latest releases have been left untouched. I admit, they're bit hairy to drive (*cough*RUFBTRBLACKBIRDEVO*cough*), but there are more docile and yet surprisingly fast ones that have been left alone due the approach of GT5.

Indeed. We've got a lot of cars nobody's ever touched, which makes me sad.

I've driven a few of yours (and MFT's and others) but I don't always write 'em up. Sometimes I don't have time, or I needed a quick tune to try a fresh opinion during a race. But yea, that's a great idea for the OP: try out some of the tunes in this section. There's literally hundreds of them from various garages. 👍

PF
May I suggest you test cars from the existing garages?
RVV, MFT (which you have discovered), Grease Monkey Engineering, Shogun ... there are lots of them mate.
Rate these tunes before you ask for more.

I am actually toying with these tunes as well. I put this out there because i want tuning that are out of the ordinary I.E. My work in progress stoppie and standing start wheelie tunings.

also, some of our latest releases have been left untouched. I admit, they're bit hairy to drive (*cough*RUFBTRBLACKBIRDEVO*cough*), but there are more docile and yet surprisingly fast ones that have been left alone due the approach of GT5.

Sounds like fun. i believe i have this car already just waiting to be initiated.

Do a search in the tuners section only. There are tons of ready made cars that will keep you busy for years. I don't see many of the guys doing a lot more because GT5 is here(almost). And their attention would obviously be focused on that. I am currently running around in adamgp's Cizeta V16T '94 from Muscle Car Garage. It's a handful.

Hi, like the others say, there's plenty of good tunes here gathering dust waiting for someone to review them!

But let me know if you're interested in testing an Alfa GT (front wheel drive) with Stage 3 N/A engine on SM tyres (can actually give good exit speeds from tight corners, but 3rd gear wheelspin is possible if you're not careful) around Paris Opera.

What's wrong with posting reviews in each tuning garage's thread, if they still produce tunes?

Nomis
Hi, like the others say, there's plenty of good tunes here gathering dust waiting for someone to review them!

But let me know if you're interested in testing an Alfa GT (front wheel drive) with Stage 3 N/A engine on SM tyres (can actually give good exit speeds from tight corners, but 3rd gear wheelspin is possible if you're not careful) around Paris Opera.

Im looking for stuff thats a little out there and Im doing this to the so to say test "dummy". About the Alfa Gt I would love to try it post it here or pm the settings to me and ill test to my fullest extent of my skills and attention span. (chuckles)

Driftking
What's wrong with posting reviews in each tuning garage's thread, if they still produce tunes?

As I have stated above "Im looking for stuff thats a little out there and Im doing this to the so to say test "dummy"." I want tunings that arent particularly useful but, i also would like to expand my knowledge so i want more than just the tuning "shops" racing, drift or budget tunes. I have been driving a few tunings from M.F.T. and Phoenix.

Hi, well a FF car with 311kW on SM tyres around a tight track (Opera Paris) is certainly something different! Here is what I came up with:
PARTS
NA Stage 2
sports medium tyres
racing brakes
brake controller
FC suspension
FC transmission, triple clutch, racing flywheel
aerodynamics (I believe all wings are give the same performance??, anyway it's the first one)
LSD full customize
Stiffness (sorry, I realise this is expensive, I won't do it for future tunes)

SETTINGS
brakes 4 / 12
springs 4.4 / 3.8
ride height 110 / 110
damper bound 5 / 3
damper rebound 5 / 3
camber 0.0 / 0.0
toe 3 / 0
stabiliser 1 / 1
gears 4.73 / 3.50 / 2.83 / 2.43 / 2.06 / 1.76 final 2.5 (use final 3.02, then auto setting 1, then set the ratios)
driving aids 0 / 0 / 0
downforce 30 / 20
LSD 30 / 30 / 30

Obviously 311kW through sports tyres on the front is gonna be a handfull through the tighter corners, such as the tight sequence before the back straight. But I think the car is still steerable even when exiting tighter corners. I was thinking that TCS would be necessary but it turns out slightly faster without and the handling is much smoother without the TCS abruptly killing the power.

I was hoping for a suspension tune that would be a bit less disturbed by the bumpy right hander coming out of the first chicane, but in the end I had to settle for a compromise between this and body control around the smoother corners.

The high rear brake bias is to stop entry understeer and all that front toe is to maximise straight line traction (I tested toe using 0-400m times).

My best lap was 1:33.9, but I'm not a great driver, so someone like Greycap could be 3 seconds quicker...

Hope you enjoy trying something a bit left field, let me know what you think!

Dont worry about money on my end here as i have wayyyyyyyy too much of it and im constantly winning more. but the tune looks stable im starting my gt4 now.

edit: Ok, the car is good despite my ****** driving But after an initial time of 1'45.xxx i was able to cut off another ~1 second by adding camber. front/rear 3.0/2.0. Then i cut off another ~3 seconds by switching bound to 5/5 and rebound to 3/3. So far ive gotten my time to a fairly consistant 1'41.xxx. Hope this much helps. (note: im also looking into your gear set as it tops out way low even for a tight track and allows way too much wheelspin. will post adjustment when finished but so far so good.)

Edit 2: ok, the gearbox is fine i guess it was my lead foot. but i still cant beat my 1'41.127 (record time). Although i do highly recomend that this car never be used on any course with a longer straight like trial mountain or HSR with the current gear settings. But on small tracks like opera its amazing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments!!

i was able to cut off another ~1 second by adding camber. front/rear 3.0/2.0. Then i cut off another ~3 seconds by switching bound to 5/5 and rebound to 3/3. So far ive gotten my time to a fairly consistant 1'41.xxx. Hope this much helps. (note: im also looking into your gear set as it tops out way low even for a tight track and allows way too much wheelspin. will post adjustment when finished but so far so good.)
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I didn't bother with the camber settings (usually I tune them with 0-400m times and braking distances, but this is very time consuming). I'm kinda surprised that the camber is so high, but whatever works I guess...

You didn't find that 5 / 5 bound was too stiff over the bumpy bits or that equal front/rear dampers gave too much oversteer? I'll post up once I have a chance to drive these settings, this is just thinking aloud at the moment...

Edit 2: ok, the gearbox is fine i guess it was my lead foot. but i still cant beat my 1'41.127 (record time). Although i do highly recomend that this car never be used on any course with a longer straight like trial mountain or HSR with the current gear settings. But on small tracks like opera its amazing.

Amen, these settings are specifically for Opera, I haven't even driven them on any other track! As you probably noticed, 2nd gear gives wheelspin on demand (but I was really proud that it doesn't wash out into understeer). But if you're patient with the throttle, 2nd will give slightly better acceleration out of the tight corners than 3rd.

Thanks for the review!

Hi Fbcars!

I was just reading a car magazine called "tuulilasi" and came up with a (possibly)great idea. If you are looking for something different to do, why won't you create a topic where you compare different tunes for a same car? 💡

In example: Mazda RX-7. There's many different tunes for that car. MFT has one, katana tuning also, KMW... you know. Just do a comparison, like they do in car magazines. :dopey: Test handling, acceleration, brakes, and finally lap time. Write something about it and then give each car a rating and +,-

It's not very expensive either, 'cause you have set a,b and c available. Would be intersting to see something like that. Of course this is just idea I had. If you dont like it don't do it. Just throwing ideas. :)

Hi Fbcars!

I was just reading a car magazine called "tuulilasi" and came up with a (possibly)great idea. If you are looking for something different to do, why won't you create a topic where you compare different tunes for a same car? 💡

In example: Mazda RX-7. There's many different tunes for that car. MFT has one, katana tuning also, KMW... you know. Just do a comparison, like they do in car magazines. :dopey: Test handling, acceleration, brakes, and finally lap time. Write something about it and then give each car a rating and +,-

It's not very expensive either, 'cause you have set a,b and c available. Would be intersting to see something like that. Of course this is just idea I had. If you dont like it don't do it. Just throwing ideas. :)

You my friend are very smart and ive already got the mft tuning applied to my rx7 anyway. btw if anyone is gonn join me in this im using the buzz bomb tuning

Problem...

NTSC will not correctly show the "good" in the KMW and MFT tunes due to some glaring differences in the way the RX-7 drives in each.

I'll have an NTSC setup out soon enough though.

i was able to cut off another ~1 second by adding camber. front/rear 3.0/2.0. Then i cut off another ~3 seconds by switching bound to 5/5 and rebound to 3/3.

I also found your camber settings to be a great improvement.

For the damper settings, I found they reduced my best time by ~0.5s, but somehow I felt the original settings made it easier to get consistent laptimes. Horses for courses, I guess!

Problem...

NTSC will not correctly show the "good" in the KMW and MFT tunes due to some glaring differences in the way the RX-7 drives in each.

I'll have an NTSC setup out soon enough though.

I've already got the mft tuning aplied to my rx-7 I'm waiting til monday to apply the kmw and Katana tuning. (it's my bday weekend and my gf is over for the weekend).

Ok, this bump is to bring an update on the comparason of the mft "buzz-bomb" , the KMW spirit rx7 and the Katana fd3s. All three of these are based on the same car (Mazda RX-7 Spirit R type A) Although, Im sure i will have to buy another RX-7 as one of the tune utilizes a rollcage which is unremoveable.
The track of testing is yet to be decided. I will build the cars in the morning and I will check back before i begin my work. Im leaning towards the Nurb' for testing. If there are any flaws you notice please alert me to this and i will correct it if possible. At the moment the track is the Nurb' and i am using the ntsc version. If there is anyone with the pal version that is interested an ntsc v. pal comparison would be good too. thank you for your input.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to see your test results! :)

Hope that the PAL NTSC difference is not big, so the results could be accurate. KMW and MFT use PAL so the advantage/disadvantage should be the same to both if it does even exist. (?)

Another difference between the different tunes is the controller used to make them, DS2 vs. DFP makes a big difference and even DFP vs. G25 is noticable. Usually a tune made using a wheel is harder to drive and one made with a DS2 tends to understeer more but is easier to handle.

I'm looking forward to see your test results! :)

Hope that the PAL NTSC difference is not big, so the results could be accurate. KMW and MFT use PAL so the advantage/disadvantage should be the same to both if it does even exist. (?)

Im actually anxious too. And just to clarify my times can be improved on as I am only an average driver.

Another difference between the different tunes is the controller used to make them, DS2 vs. DFP makes a big difference and even DFP vs. G25 is noticable. Usually a tune made using a wheel is harder to drive and one made with a DS2 tends to understeer more but is easier to handle.

Well, I am using a ds2 controller. As far as that being said buzz bomb wasnt bad for me to handle.

Update: the track has been changed to save time and Im running two separate tests.

1st is a handling test on Trial Mountain (its got the best mix of turns)

2nd is the 400m.

With the tuners permission I would like to combine the best of all three tuning and post it in my garage with reference to who's tuning I used in different areas and I will also pm this tune to the original three tuners. If permission is not granted It will not be posted. For example if kmw handles better than mft but mft has a better gearset on the 400m i would combine them and reference who's tuning is which. I will also post it as the collaboration. lets sorta make it a parting gift to the gt4 community. Thank you.

Good point there, haven't ever thought of that. But if car is good, its good with almost any controller. There's just little differences. I think that garage tunes are meant to be driven by anyone, with any controller

E: Quote

------------------------

With the tuners permission I would like to combine the best of all three tuning and post it in my garage with reference to who's tuning I used in different areas and I will also pm this tune to the original three tuners. If permission is not granted It will not be posted. For example if kmw handles better than mft but mft has a better gearset on the 400m i would combine them and reference who's tuning is which. I will also post it as the collaboration. lets sorta make it a parting gift to the gt4 community. Thank you.

Okay for KMW. Just make sure that you write how the tune was made, not just publish it and let everyone thin that it's yours. You know. ;) And make sure that all of the tuners agree to that.

Last edited:
Update: 400m Times are in.
1st place MFT "buzz bomb" with a 10.493
2nd place KMW with a 10.5 even
3rd place Katana with a 11.102 (replaced with larger turbo)

@ temetias
Credit will be given where credit is due. But if MFT Doesn't allow it I will send you the final product through pm if you like and it wont be posted.

Last edited:
You could somehow in some stage notice that the katana is cheaper and possibly gets more easily a-spec points. It would be quite unfair to be without noticing that. And to avoid possible double or triple posts, you could try to fit all the test to one post. :)

You could somehow in some stage notice that the katana is cheaper and possibly gets more easily a-spec points. It would be quite unfair to be without noticing that. And to avoid possible double or triple posts, you could try to fit all the test to one post. :)

Actually, i was thinking about it and I can apply the bigger turbo to it and redo the tests and see how it fairs. But, despite its lack of a large turbo in the handling test it shouldnt fair too badly. Its main losses will be in straight line speed.

I originally built my Katana RX-7 for the JGTC. That's why it only has c.490hp. The suspension and transmission were tuned to handle that much power. More power is uncharted territory for those settings. But you're free to try the bigger turbo for my set-up.

Regarding combining all 3 tunes for the best set-ups, what's wrong with just creating your own tune using nomis' tuning guide?

Back