Wanted: DC2 Integra Type R tune

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 36 comments
I hit a 52.688 (a tenth faster than my prior best) by using the gearbox "flip/trick" for better acceleration (I don't know if that's generally frowned upon or not - I'm just using the game's built-in tools to get results):

1) reset transmission to default
2) select custom transmission
3) set final drive gear to highest # (shortest gears)
4) set top speed (auto set) to minimum/slowest
5) re-adjust final drive gear to desired lower #

top speed (auto set) MPH: 112
final gear: 4.740

I didn't adjust any individual gears after setting the final drive, and I didn't change anything else from my original setup.

I think the gear changes still happen in mostly the same locations around this track, but with a more peppy response.

A tenth ain't much, but maybe you faster drivers can squeeze even more out of this new gearing than I could. :)

I hit a 52.688 (a tenth faster than my prior best) by using the gearbox "flip/trick" for better acceleration (I don't know if that's generally frowned upon or not - I'm just using the game's built-in tools to get results):

1) reset transmission to default
2) select custom transmission
3) set final drive gear to highest # (shortest gears)
4) set top speed (auto set) to minimum/slowest
5) re-adjust final drive gear to desired lower #

top speed (auto set) MPH: 112
final gear: 4.740

I didn't adjust any individual gears after setting the final drive, and I didn't change anything else from my original setup.

I think the gear changes still happen in mostly the same locations around this track, but with a more peppy response.

A tenth ain't much, but maybe you faster drivers can squeeze even more out of this new gearing than I could. :)
There’s nothing wrong with flipping transmissions as far as it being frowned upon or anything. It’s weird and goofy in terms of real life tuning, but it’s the way PD has always gone about implementing their transmission settings. Like you said, you’re just using the tools they gave us.

Technically speaking, flipping the transmission doesn’t “increase acceleration”. What it does is allows you to bring 1st gear and 5th gear (or is it 6th, can’t remember if the DC2 custom trans is 5 or 6 gears) closer together, which overall results in smaller spacing between all the other gears, which means the RPM drop when you upshift is smaller. Because the DC2 uses a high reviving engine that makes max power at peak revs, you want to keep those RPM as high as possible at all times.

Just for reference, you can also flip a transmission for purposes of spreading gears out, eg in a 900hp Supra. You use the same basic steps, but use different spacing between gears.

One thing to keep in mind when fine tuning a transmission for a TT like this, yes you want the gears as close together as possible, but it’s important to remember that on a short circuit like Brands Indy in a manual car like the DC2, excessive shifting can cost time. It’s a really fine balance to work out, and as far as I know, just takes trial and error.

Edit: rereading the steps you listed, you haven’t actually taken full advantage of flipping the transmission. Follow all your steps up to and including 4). From here, what you should do is make the last gear (5 or 6, whatever it is) as short as possible (all the way to the right), and make 1st gear as long as possible (all the way left). Then adjust the Final Drive Ratio so that you top speed is where you want it to be. Final step is to then evenly space the remaining gears so that RPM drop from one gear to the next is consistent. This is how you will get the closest gear ratios possible.

From here, it’s then a process of fine tuning each gear, literally one notch at a time (personally I start by making adjustments in increments of 5, then refine it to adjustments of just 1 when I feel like I’m approaching the sweet spot), so that you don’t have any awkwardly timed shifts through the lap.

Last edited:
There’s nothing wrong with flipping transmissions as far as it being frowned upon or anything. It’s weird and goofy in terms of real life tuning, but it’s the way PD has always gone about implementing their transmission settings. Like you said, you’re just using the tools they gave us.

Technically speaking, flipping the transmission doesn’t “increase acceleration”. What it does is allows you to bring 1st gear and 5th gear (or is it 6th, can’t remember if the DC2 custom trans is 5 or 6 gears) closer together, which overall results in smaller spacing between all the other gears, which means the RPM drop when you upshift is smaller. Because the DC2 uses a high reviving engine that makes max power at peak revs, you want to keep those RPM as high as possible at all times.

Just for reference, you can also flip a transmission for purposes of spreading gears out, eg in a 900hp Supra. You use the same basic steps, but use different spacing between gears.

One thing to keep in mind when fine tuning a transmission for a TT like this, yes you want the gears as close together as possible, but it’s important to remember that on a short circuit like Brands Indy in a manual car like the DC2, excessive shifting can cost time. It’s a really fine balance to work out, and as far as I know, just takes trial and error.

Edit: rereading the steps you listed, you haven’t actually taken full advantage of flipping the transmission. Follow all your steps up to and including 4). From here, what you should do is make the last gear (5 or 6, whatever it is) as short as possible (all the way to the right), and make 1st gear as long as possible (all the way left). Then adjust the Final Drive Ratio so that you top speed is where you want it to be. Final step is to then evenly space the remaining gears so that RPM drop from one gear to the next is consistent. This is how you will get the closest gear ratios possible.

From here, it’s then a process of fine tuning each gear, literally one notch at a time (personally I start by making adjustments in increments of 5, then refine it to adjustments of just 1 when I feel like I’m approaching the sweet spot), so that you don’t have any awkwardly timed shifts through the lap.

TYVM for the info, it’s much appreciated. :cheers:

Thanks twitcher. 👍 I didn't want to type all the details out - saying "for better acceleration" was just my lazy shortcut. :dopey:

...But now you got me thinking about maybe going back & trying the extended approach you mentioned about shortening 6th & lengthening 1st. A mad scientist's work in the lab is never done. :mischievous:

Thanks twitcher. 👍 I didn't want to type all the details out - saying "for better acceleration" was just my lazy shortcut. :dopey:

...But now you got me thinking about maybe going back & trying the extended approach you mentioned about shortening 6th & lengthening 1st. A mad scientist's work in the lab is never done. :mischievous:

I just tried your tune with Turbos gear settings and got to 52.343, .040 better than yesterday. It’s getting closer. :)

Last edited:
I just gave this a go, a 51.xxx is going to be no joke :lol: With @oper8or tune and my own transmission I managed a 52.919 :grumpy:. That’s mostly down to the driving though, the 20 something laps I just did was the more FWD driving than I’ve done in probably the past two years, and I’ve always been a noob around Brands Indy. Paddock, Graham Hill, and Clearways (so like 3/4 of the track) always cause issues for me, and I struggle to do a lap where I get all 3 of those correct. It’s a fun challenge though, good car and circuit combo, so I’m determined to get my time lower.

@R1600Turbo something that crossed my mind when doing laps - we’re setting the weight at 2284 lbs to be as close to your listed 2292lbs as possible. I’m guessing the 2292lbs would not include fuel, and I would also assume that buddy would be doing TT laps on minimal fuel. In the GTS TT Mode, we get a completely full fuel tank....do you have any idea whether or not fuel weight is accounted for in TT mode? I’m just wondering if we’re handicapping ourselves slightly by using a car that’s heavier due to a full fuel tank. If this is the case, we could lower the weight of the car to account for it, but since it’s your challenge I figured you should set the weight. I don’t even know how heavy a GTS “full tank” on a DC2 would be :odd:

Back