War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Finally starting to get a hang of the american single engine planes.. Damn they're a pain.. So far, I find the Germans easiest to fly with my style, but their armament leaves room for improvement.. so I just grind with Ju-88 A4.. which has incorrect armament. It should have 20mm on the nose. Oh Gaijin, when will you get your act together..

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well.. This happened..

In the end it was my workhorse Ju-88 A4 vs his A-20G, not exactly even odds but my gunners were up to task and sniped the pilot.. Cue in outraged burst in the chat. :lol:

I'm at a complete loss on how to improve my aiming in this game. Massive disadvantage compared to PC players. Went to arcade thinking I could work on the aim there, but I just get shot down too quickly to get anything done and I'm not sure if it's my control settings or what, but the planes feel more sluggish to me in arcade than in realistic.

And I guess I better stick to playing Brits and Germans as 'murica and their clumsy planes with weak freedom cals and Japanese Origami planes and equally flimsy guns just don't work for me.. And don't get me started on Russian planes :mad:

Okay, I fell in love with the Yak9K. Yes it has a 45mm gun. Yes its very satisfying blowing up B25's, Fighter planes, with one shot. Yes its 50cal is useless. But. Who cares! It has a 45mm :D. Love the performance of this plane. However, It's wing tips are made of paper, and its not the fastest plane.

Hayabusas aren't turnfighters? Then what are they, flying nuns?! I don't know, from my point of view they're better turnfighters than Zeros which suffer from lacking roll rate.

Zeroes lack roll rate? Are you even playing War Thunder? :lol: Get off the default controls and instructor unless you're using a mouse... default controls are awful on the PS4.

Hayabusas rip their wings too easily in the game to be turnfighters.

P-61: The American “Flying Tank”
Created as a night fighter, the American P-61 Black Widow found itself adopting many professions in the war – and it was always good at them. One of the most interesting American aircraft of the Second World War has arrived in War Thunder with Update 1.57!

When it became clear that the US Army Air Force was lacking a night fighter, American engineers undertook to solve the problem with characteristic American enthusiasm. And so, the P-61 Black Widow night fighter was born – an incredibly advanced aircraft for its time, large, powerful, armed to the teeth and very expensive.

As it turned out, by the time the P-61 became available to the army, a night fighter was no longer required in the Pacific theater – the Americans had full control of the air, and the Japanese feared to fly by night. Here, the Black Widow proved to be an excellent support aircraft for ground troops and a good assault aircraft thanks to its incredible firepower and its ability to even carry bombs, rockets and barrels of napalm. In Europe, the US’s new night fighter proved its excellence in its intended role and also as an interceptor (even the German V-1 flying bomb had met its match with it), and of course, again as an assault aircraft.

In War Thunder, the American “flying tank” is a rank III aircraft with powerful frontal weaponry (four 20mm cannons and four 12.7 mm machine guns), a solid frame, protected fuel tanks, the ability to carry up to four 1,000 lb bombs, and a highly curious turret with four Browning 12.7 mm machine guns, capable of attacking targets all across its upper surfaces. Incidentally, this turret could also be locked to shoot forwards, so the pilot could control it as a frontal weapon. In War Thunder, we plan to introduce this function a little later in the form of a researched modification.

In War Thunder Update 1.57, the aircraft will be presented in two versions:

• P-61A-1 – the early model of the aircraft in army livery.
  • P-61C-1 – a night bomber with improved flight characteristics and black camouflage (the black paint scheme is what gave this aircraft its name, Black Widow). An air brake is installed in this model.

The P-61’s appearance is highly unusual. Its stepped cabin is somehow reminiscent of the cabin on modern attack helicopters. Note that the Black Widow model correctly duplicates the canopy framing of the cabin and the hatch through which the pilot and radar operator entered the vehicle. The gunner, who was seated in the rear of the fuselage, had an excellent panoramic view to the rear – our artists carefully recreated his cabin also in the in-game model.

One of the unique characteristics of the P-61 is its spoilers, which move out from the wings upwards and, in practice, fulfilled the role of ailerons. The spoilers themselves and their animation were recreated in our in-game model. They are also fully functional in the aircraft’s flight model.

In short, the Black Widow is certainly an interesting aircraft, equally useful both in an air combat role and in mixed battles of War Thunder. Try out this American technological marvel of its time in War Thunder Update 1.57.

See you there!

Source:
http://warthunder.com/en/devblog/current/869

Last edited:
P-61: The American “Flying Tank”
Created as a night fighter, the American P-61 Black Widow found itself adopting many professions in the war – and it was always good at them. One of the most interesting American aircraft of the Second World War has arrived in War Thunder with Update 1.57!

When it became clear that the US Army Air Force was lacking a night fighter, American engineers undertook to solve the problem with characteristic American enthusiasm. And so, the P-61 Black Widow night fighter was born – an incredibly advanced aircraft for its time, large, powerful, armed to the teeth and very expensive.

As it turned out, by the time the P-61 became available to the army, a night fighter was no longer required in the Pacific theater – the Americans had full control of the air, and the Japanese feared to fly by night. Here, the Black Widow proved to be an excellent support aircraft for ground troops and a good assault aircraft thanks to its incredible firepower and its ability to even carry bombs, rockets and barrels of napalm. In Europe, the US’s new night fighter proved its excellence in its intended role and also as an interceptor (even the German V-1 flying bomb had met its match with it), and of course, again as an assault aircraft.

In War Thunder, the American “flying tank” is a rank III aircraft with powerful frontal weaponry (four 20mm cannons and four 12.7 mm machine guns), a solid frame, protected fuel tanks, the ability to carry up to four 1,000 lb bombs, and a highly curious turret with four Browning 12.7 mm machine guns, capable of attacking targets all across its upper surfaces. Incidentally, this turret could also be locked to shoot forwards, so the pilot could control it as a frontal weapon. In War Thunder, we plan to introduce this function a little later in the form of a researched modification.

In War Thunder Update 1.57, the aircraft will be presented in two versions:

• P-61A-1 – the early model of the aircraft in army livery.
  • P-61C-1 – a night bomber with improved flight characteristics and black camouflage (the black paint scheme is what gave this aircraft its name, Black Widow). An air brake is installed in this model.

The P-61’s appearance is highly unusual. Its stepped cabin is somehow reminiscent of the cabin on modern attack helicopters. Note that the Black Widow model correctly duplicates the canopy framing of the cabin and the hatch through which the pilot and radar operator entered the vehicle. The gunner, who was seated in the rear of the fuselage, had an excellent panoramic view to the rear – our artists carefully recreated his cabin also in the in-game model.

One of the unique characteristics of the P-61 is its spoilers, which move out from the wings upwards and, in practice, fulfilled the role of ailerons. The spoilers themselves and their animation were recreated in our in-game model. They are also fully functional in the aircraft’s flight model.

In short, the Black Widow is certainly an interesting aircraft, equally useful both in an air combat role and in mixed battles of War Thunder. Try out this American technological marvel of its time in War Thunder Update 1.57.

See you there!

You should really provide the source of that material, unless of course you are actually part of the WT (since that article obviously comes from them).

Glad to see the updates.
Though I admit, I've been playing tanks far more than planes lately.

You should really provide the source of that material, unless of course you are actually part of the WT (since that article obviously comes from them).

Glad to see the updates.
Though I admit, I've been playing tanks far more than planes lately.

Oops! Fixed.

Snowy Valley

Featuring mountain passes, snow-covered foliage, a quiet town and a railway station. This peaceful serenity has been disturbed by the destructive nature of war and the town is now deserted, the trains have been de-railed from the railway tracks, bombs have destroyed the stone bridge across the gorge and traces of tank tracks now run atop the snow-covered hills. Engines can be heard roaring from within the valley, cannon shots echoing throughout the ancient mountains and the chairlifts swing, the air disturbed due to low flying aircraft. The battle for a critical foothold in the Alps has begun!

The game location has been inspired by the Alpine landscape and is suitable for both aircraft and ground forces battles. The location will have several available mission variants: Domination, Battle and three variants of Conquest. One of the main features of this location is a short tunnel with damaged wagons turned upside down which also features a capture point in several mission variants. The hardcore combat experienced at close range in a confined environment with wagons for vital cover is something truly new in War Thunder!

We hope that “Snowy Valley” will become favourite location of many tankers and pilots . Explore the new location in the War Thunder major update 1.57!

Souce:
http://warthunder.com/en/devblog/current/871

Ju-88's and FW 200 C1 are my money/research makers now. With the Ju88's I've quite often won the match for my team.. With Condor, no such luck due to it being slow, big target. That bomb load though..

I'm doing some fighter research right now, then attacker. I dislike He-111's as they rip wings bit too easily IMHO.

Back