War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

II-zOoLoGy-II

(Banned)
United States
F YOU
Yet another fantastic F2P game in open beta for PC gamers (surprised there is no thread already).

417869_igry_samolety_war-thunder_1920x1080_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg

http://warthunder.com/en/

War Thunder is an MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.

War Thunder offers a highly detailed and personalized aviation experience, giving players access to hundreds models of planes with detailed cockpits, dozens of upgradeable weapons, and flying skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game’s painstaking attention to detail, you’ll truly feel like a World War II fighter pilot as you plunge into battle.

The genuine World War II experience isn’t limited to the skies. The massive historical battles featured in War Thunder cannot be fought by aviation alone, so the game will also expose players to combat on land and at sea.
Features include:
Varied PvP-experiences set in full-scale combat missions
Multiple settings options allow advanced virtual pilots and beginners to enjoy playing the game together
Rich PvE content: dynamic campaigns, solo missions, mission editor, and much more for single-player and cooperative gameplay
Impressive diversity includes detailed models of planes and their cockpits, as well as tanks and ships
Astonishing graphics, authentic sound effects, and beautiful music

Global Beta Trailer

Gameplay

Google for more.​

Last edited:
Yes indeed, I've been waiting for a while to get a PC so I can play this. I have IL-2: Birds of Prey and Birds of Steel on PS3 but the PC versions are far better - once I get a permanent job maybe...

Just slight off topic but a heads up for anyone interested, there is also another game in the same vein by Gaijin coming out later called Star Thunder which also looks very promising too, though a bit more fantastical: Star Thunder teaser

And now back to War Thunder

Last edited:
I have been playing this game the past couple days and I am absolutely loving it. I will be shelling out $25 initially to support the devs and receive some of the premium content.

I highly suggest picking this game up.

If you have it and would like to play my call sign is Pontifex_Mortis (I am not the best but do hold my own).

Couple of pictures (getting shot down after a bombing run) in my Catalina:

8338822525_fd74155481_b.jpg

8339880250_ec7492b165_b.jpg

8339878102_0c06d8db2e_b.jpg

8339877054_abb0e6c61e_b.jpg

As you can see... top notch graphics (best I have ever seen in a flight game); and the gameplay is fantastic.

Just for good measure one from the cockpit of my Kittyhawk:

8339145041_f694f1ce50_b.jpg

Had a couple of ground and air kills that round; starting to get the hang of it.

I have been using a 360 controller set up similar to the jet controls in BF3. Took quite a bit of tinkering due to their confusing configuration settings.

Depending on the map I can completely max this game out (as in going past their suggested photo/replay settings in game) and hold well over 60 fps; most of the time I am well over 100. Cockpit view will drop the frame rate slightly of course. Mainly they have suggested levels for "max," "movie" and then custom settings with additional sliders for draw distance, texture resolution, and AA injection options which I completely max out (max/movie do not max out AA, draw distance, or tex res). AMD 7950 for those wondering.

I can run the game in Eyefinity at their "max" settings (which is still great) and hold above 45 fps.

So, the game runs incredibly well and looks and plays fantastic. Unfortunately, (for the US) there are no North American servers yet so the lowest ping I have seen is around 140/150; but you would never notice with this type of game.

Last edited:
The graphics are very similar to their previous titles, which was something I liked about Gaijin's games and attracted me to them in the first place. Nice to see more refinement has been made in that direction after Birds of Steel.

A more intuitive controller setup would be a welcomed next step forward, I agree.

Just downloading the client. As soon as I find out whether the comp can run this or not, I shall make a decision of buying a joystick, probably Logitech one..

Just trying to download their client and holy 🤬 is it slow.
Did anyone else have this problem? It's topping out at like 0.6-0.8 MB/s for me, and I have up to a 50 downstream if I remember what I'm paying for...

It's largely dependent of the amount of seeding by the people who have already downloaded it. I'm getting 1.3MB/s, roughly.

Last edited:
I downloaded it before Christmas and yes; it was painfully slow. Just don't stare at the screen waiting for it to finish and you'll be okay.

It will be done eventually.

Any suggestions for a joystick? This game makes me want one as well.

Ok, this looks tempting. Are there any minimum specs for the game?

Also, how does it play with mouse & keyboard? (Total air/fighter game noob, btw).

My brother uses mouse/keyboard and he does quite well. He said its practically point and click; so very user friendly. I have been using a 360 controller and I am about to head to Fry's to pick up a Logitech joystick :)

They have arcade modes and realistic/sim modes for multiplayer.

Unsure on specs you will have to google that.

The Gaijin forum link discusses which joysticks folks in these games generally use and which work the best. I'm sure the Logitech one will be one of them - anyway, any settings should be there in the threads too. If not, try the 1c Birds of Prey forum - publisher of the IL-2 Sturmovik games up until BoS. There is a lot of useful info living there: 1c Publishing

Last edited:
I've spent couple days on this now, and while the comp can't handle the beauty of this game and I have to play it on lowered settings, it's still fairly entertaining game for airplane geeks. Sadly, arcade nor realistic settings don't hold a candle to CFS3.. Still, good time killer. I recommend using a Joystick, as playing with keyboard and mouse is major pain.

What is different and what could be better? I honestly don't know because this is their first game / overall my first flight combat sim I have played.

The multiplayer 'matchmaking' (if you could even call it that) is a poor system right now. Just one large queue that throws players together; you can't pick game type or map. In addition to that the map rotation is non-existent because you're thrown off the server at the end of the round to the main menu.... so I have seen only a quarter to maybe a half of maps in multiplayer. Only reason I know there are more is the custom missions/games.

Oh dear 'beta.'

Indeed.. But what can we do but wait patiently? Atleast now that I've got access to slightly better planes, such as Spitfire, Airacobra etc, I can deliver some damage back. Oh, and the gunners in my Catalinas are rather good at what they do :D

Subsequently there has been talk of it turning up as an Easter egg in War Thunder - not sure if that has happened yet though.

Last edited:
Latest update cranked up the triple A by a mile, so approaching enemy airfield or fleet low and fast won't work anymore.. Also, several ubertough planes have been dialed down, such as the Catalinas.

I though Star Conflict was a completely different game, more starfighters vs starfighters and battleships in space not Spitfires and the rest against District 9 starships :sly:Oh well.

I though Star Conflict was a completely different game, more starfighters vs starfighters and battleships in space not Spitfires and the rest against District 9 starships :sly:Oh well.

It is. I thought you were saying the game isn't real. :lol:

Wahey! Today I will receive my flightstick and finally can fly properly in the game.. No more mouse control-related deaths.. :P :lol:

After latest update there has been severe issues with lag and actual disconnections. Save your nerves and don't even bother to try.

Back