Watch Live: 2020 FIA Certified Gran Turismo Online Championship World Final Nations Cup [spoilers]

snc
knowing about rules ealier didn't make them less bs imho, imagine world cup final, some team win by 1 gole but other one has better quali few months ago in different continent and becoming champion ;d
If it's known before anyone kicks a ball, no problem.

It could happen (and after all, rankings for national football teams are weighted by continent), but if all the teams know about it, what's the problem? They all know what they have to do. It's not like the rules were changed halfway through the event to benefit one participant. They were set months back.

Personally I think the double-points final race is codswallop, but it's been there forever. Everyone knows about it and plans accordingly.

If it's known before anyone kicks a ball, no problem.

It could happen (and after all, rankings for national football teams are weighted by continent), but if all the teams know about it, what's the problem? They all know what they have to do. It's not like the rules were changed halfway through the event to benefit one participant. They were set months back.

Personally I think the double-points final race is codswallop, but it's been there forever. Everyone knows about it and plans accordingly.
problem is that Miazyono score this prefinal 11 points without racing against bracer and in proper final he lost with him and still becoma champion, bracer was robbed imho

Last edited:
snc
problem is that Miazyono score this prefinal 11 points without racing against bracer and in proper final he lost with him and still becoma champion, bracer was robbed imho
Yes, I understand the concept, but the point remains that everyone knew about this before racing in November.

Everyone knew what was necessary before they raced. They all played to the same rules, in all races.

Gallo himself certainly knows:

They were the rules set out before it all started.

Originally the plan was to award points for all the World Tours. If Miyazono had won all of those (which... isn't entirely unlikely), he'd be starting on 15 points. However, the WT didn't happen. These new points for Regionals were announced weeks before the Regionals took place, so everyone knew it going in.

The merits of it aside, this is something everyone knew before racing. It's not something like the last-chance time trial which suddenly gave four extra places at the Regionals at the expense of the next four qualifiers in each region.

But again, this was known months ago. Originally the World Tours (which not all finalists may have qualified to) would have given up to 15 points if the same person won them all, but they weren't possible to stage.

The change to give points for the Regionals came well before they raced in them, and we all knew about it. This was always something that could happen; Gallo himself had an advantage over, for example, Giorgio Mangano (five points to one) as a result.

Whether you agree with it or not, the players all raced to the same rules established before the competition and they all knew what they had to do. Miyazono had to do a little bit less than Gallo, and did it.
Again, I know this. I don't think it's right.

I enjoyed watching the racing quite a bit.
The productions were all very high quality. The racers conducted themselves very well on track from what I saw.
Not enough can be said about the AWESOME job done by the entire announcing crew. Pretty much my favorite part is the addition of great announcing to GTS.
My only nitpick would be a few times the camera cut away from something I wanted to see, but there’s a lot going on.
It was great everyone involved pulled this thing off.
I look forward to more in the future with a live crowd, and celebrity pro racer visits.
To me everyone knew the rules. The same scoring applied to all.
I mean you couldn’t do the total opposite what would that be? One race winner take all?
I think points achieved over time is a fair way to find out whose the best. To me as a viewer unless I hear complaints from the competitors themselves it seems fair.

Last edited:
Like others have said, it doesn't matter if WT participants knew the rules before the events....it doesn't make this particular structure a good idea and it's not like the participants had a choice in the rule set other than not participating, which isn't really a choice. That's a point that doesn't conflict with or defeat the notion that the points structure was bogus.

I understand wanting to give some value to the prior events, but at the end of the day, the person who performs the best at THE WORLD FINALS should be the one who is the world champion. As it stands, Gallo performed the best at the finals, better than Miyazono, but Miyazono won. Doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are a fan of mental gymnastics.

Not to take anything away from the participants or the event itself. They were great and I thought the recent events were all top notch with very few exceptions, one being the points system.

I had to laugh because it was just too similar to A New Hope's ending scene, with the poses of the PD staff and
the orchestral music and everything :lol:

kaz1.jpg

kaz2.jpg

I had to laugh because it was just too similar to A New Hope's ending scene, with the poses of the PD staff and
the orchestral music and everything :lol:

View attachment 979522
View attachment 979524
Gotta respect your home's national anthem, man. Heh.

Btw, I've pointed this out on Twitter and in a recent status update, but the blond spiky-haired man standing behind Kaz may be Daiki Kasho. Not only do I recognize his face a bit (the eyes, specifically), but he seems to be wearing the same shirt from last year (albeit a different color) when Jordan, Hizal, and the others toured PD's HQ.

I'm slightly disappointed that there is no GT7 trailer, but at least I got to see my favorite rock artist here standing with PD. If it's indeed him, that is.

it's not like the participants had a choice in the rule set other than not participating, which isn't really a choice
It's definitely a choice - and a choice some have made.
I understand wanting to give some value to the prior events, but at the end of the day, the person who performs the best at THE WORLD FINALS should be the one who is the world champion. As it stands, Gallo performed the best at the finals, better than Miyazono, but Miyazono won. Doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are a fan of mental gymnastics.
But that wasn't the point. The point was that it was the person who performs best at the World Tour.

That was precisely what was communicated in February in Sydney, and even though 2020 has been... radically reorganised, every event this year has had "World Tour" in the name. Just check out the banner images used for the events:

i1v8ZOO0KAaE9uB.jpg

i1s6m9V2Cy3KFO.png

i1G7eWNybg1Kgz.png

That also technically applied to Manufacturer Series - BMW started off with 11pt, and was still second on points after finishing 4th in race one - though of course there were no regional finals for manufacturers.

The World Final was just the last stage of it, with the most points available so doing well there is pretty much a prerequisite to win overall, but the idea was always to take the whole World Tour - hence the potential 15pt available for winning them all.

I only remember one comment on this at the time (there may have been others, but I only remember one):

This looks good: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/fia_championships/

'World Tour Points' will now be awarded to the top 3 drivers/teams in both Nations Cup and Manufacturer Series at each of the 5 World Tour destinations. These points will be added to their initial score at the World Finals.

So perform good over the entire season and enter the finals with an advantage..
Now of course there was a change to that due to... the joys of 2020, and I questioned the sense of giving 8 points to a regional final winner but only 3 to a World Tour winner at the time:
Apparently winning a World Tour is only equal to sixth place qualifier in EMEA and not qualifying in NCSA.

Miyazono carries 3pt to the World Final for winning Sydney (Latkovski gets 2pt, Wong gets 1pt), which is what Blazsan got for sixth in the EMEA Regionals, and technically what Juan Hernadez would get for not qualifying in NCSA. Why not 3-2-1 for the regionals too - especially as there'll only be three ASOC qualifiers?

I know Miyazono can get more if he places top three in ASOC (which does beg the question of how many points he carries if he places top eight but not top three, or what fourth carries if he places top three), but someone getting 2.5x as many points as him for winning one race at home compared to an actual entire World Tour is... silly.
... just not in the same way.

I thought a WT win should be no less than equal to a Regional Final win. If both were three for a win, as I mooted, then the last lap would have had a very different complexion as Gallo would have been ahead on the tie-break (position in the final race), but of course we'll never know who'd have won; Miyazono didn't need the win and didn't really go full Carrazza. The point that the drivers all knew what they needed to do and were all playing from the same set of rules appears apt.

Gallo seems very happy to be second in the world, while other people are taking the crown off Miyazono on his behalf. It just doesn't seem like the right time to make the criticism, when it was all laid out in February, and all the changes were laid out in November.

Miyazono got the most World Tour points, so he won.

Last edited:
Didnt Myiazono win the championship by 3 points?It wasn't a massive advantage.

While i agree that the world tours should serve only as a ticket to the finals,Gallo still could've won if he had a better result in race 2 same goes for serrano that had a unfortunate race 3 result.

Last edited:
What a weird hill to die on. Moderator arguing a point that nobody disagrees with, in a thread where a moderator’s input is neither needed nor wanted. Like yeah, everybody understands that the rules were set long before the event. Doesn’t change the fact that they are dumb rules one bit.

Also, sure, the choice to participate is a choice. But when one option is to not participate, it’s not much of a choice. Didn’t think I’d have to defend the semantics of that claim...but apparently I do, because Famine. LOL. Go on with your bad self, guy.

Here's the thing with that - I'm pretty certain Miyazono knew the math going into the final race and knew he only had to finish 2nd to win the whole thing. The dude's obviously on top of the math, logic and strategy and all that. He didn't put up a fight when Gallo overtook him, something we know he's completely capable of.

Basically, my point being that you're going to have a hard time convincing me that Gallo had the best performance at the World Final. To me, Miyazono's win at Tokyo was more impressive than Gallo's win at Fuji. If Miyazono had actually put a fight at the end at Le Mans, then sure Gallo had the best performance as he won head to head. But being that the point structure was the way that it was - and it seems very apparent that Miyazono was more aware of that than Gallo (who thought he had won it all when he crossed the line at Le Mans) - we essentially had to drivers running different races.

Is the point structure bad? Absolutely. Based on what I saw this morning should Gallo be the World Champ rather than Miyazono? That I don't know. And for the reasons I stated above, we won't ever actually know.

Here's the thing with that - I'm pretty certain Miyazono knew the math going into the final race and knew he only had to finish 2nd to win the whole thing. The dude's obviously on top of the math, logic and strategy and all that. He didn't put up a fight when Gallo overtook him, something we know he's completely capable of.

Basically, my point being that you're going to have a hard time convincing me that Gallo had the best performance at the World Final. To me, Miyazono's win at Tokyo was more impressive than Gallo's win at Fuji. If Miyazono had actually put a fight at the end at Le Mans, then sure Gallo had the best performance as he won head to head. But being that the point structure was the way that it was - and it seems very apparent that Miyazono was more aware of that than Gallo (who thought he had won it all when he crossed the line at Le Mans) - we essentially had to drivers running different races.

Is the point structure bad? Absolutely. Based on what I saw this morning should Gallo be the World Champ rather than Miyazono? That I don't know. And for the reasons I stated above, we won't ever actually know.

it looked to me like Miyazono covered the inside heading into (is it Indy?). Obviously Gallo would go for the move, but it was looking like Miyazono was trying to set up the pass in the draft on the straight before the Porsche curves, but it didn’t work out as he didn’t get a great exit there. I’m pretty convinced he was still trying to win but wasn’t going to do anything crazy to get it.

I don't think miyazono was racing for second place for me it looked like he ran out of corners,miyazono was gaining on gallo but wasn't close enough for the pass at the last chicanes,you're assuming miyazono knew the championship standings but things were changing too fast,Serrano was a contender before race 3 and had a chance to win.It wasn't set in stone.

Last edited:
it looked to me like Miyazono covered the inside heading into (is it Indy?). Obviously Gallo would go for the move, but it was looking like Miyazono was trying to set up the pass in the draft on the straight before the Porsche curves, but it didn’t work out as he didn’t get a great exit there. I’m pretty convinced he was still trying to win but wasn’t going to do anything crazy to get it.

That's kind of what I mean. To me, if he was actually trying to win he would've done more to try and win. He made some efforts, sure. What racer isn't going to a least try? But to me, it was more important to him to not do anything stupid and potentially blow a guaranteed second and world title.

I don't think miyazono was racing for second place and it was a close decision for the championship,you're assuming miyazono knew the championship standings but things were changing too fast,Serrano was a contender before race 3.It wasn't set in stone.

Serrano was way back in the pack. I'm pretty sure Miyazono knew that.

Yes, I am making a lot of assumptions. But given what I've seen of all these racers over the WT events this year, I don't think they're crazy assumptions.

Last edited:
What a weird hill to die on. Moderator arguing a point that nobody disagrees with, in a thread where a moderator’s input is neither needed nor wanted. Like yeah, everybody understands that the rules were set long before the event. Doesn’t change the fact that they are dumb rules one bit.

Also, sure, the choice to participate is a choice. But when one option is to not participate, it’s not much of a choice. Didn’t think I’d have to defend the semantics of that claim...but apparently I do, because Famine. LOL. Go on with your bad self, guy.
I've no idea why you feel the need to bring moderator status - or indeed any personal qualities - into the discussion for any reason. If you're not happy with sensible discussion, you are by all means free not to take part in it.

Now's the time to be congratulating the World Tour winner, not complaining about the rules that made him the World Tour winner because you think it should be the World Final winner - despite it being communicated otherwise 10 months ago.

Last edited:
That's kind of what I mean. To me, if he was actually trying to win he would've done more to try and win. He made some efforts, sure. What racer isn't going to a least try? But to me, it was more important to him to not do anything stupid and potentially blow a guaranteed second and world title.

Serrano was way back in the pack. I'm pretty sure Miyazono knew that.

Yes, I am making a lot of assumptions. But given what I've seen of all these racers over the WT events this year, I don't think they're crazy assumptions.
Yeah he did try but he wasn't risking it. if ppl watched the Manufacture final you would know what we mean. And there is a nice interview with. Miyazono made comments regarding the points going in into the final I recommend you guys watch it

...in a thread where a moderator’s input is neither needed nor wanted.
Yours is the one that's neither needed nor wanted if you're going to have an attitude like this. He may be a mod but he has just as much of a right to share his thoughts on things as the average forum member. If the Moderator title intimidates you, that's your problem but he's a person like the rest of us.

Point system aside i think we got the correct champion. He deserved this and imho has been part of taking the racing to a new level.
nope, Gallo won finals so he deserved to be champion even tough Miyazono is also amazing driver

Yeah he did try but he wasn't risking it. if ppl watched the Manufacture final you would know what we mean. And there is a nice interview with. Miyazono made comments regarding the points going in into the final I recommend you guys watch it

I watched, no comments regarding bs rules but it's not Miyazono that created them so he doesn't have to comment it

Last edited by a moderator:
Now's the time to be congratulating the World Tour winner...
And that settles that. Indeed it was a series of events under the banner of The World Tour 2020 to crown the eventual winner of same.
Miyazano became indeed The World Tour 2020 Champion...and quite deservedly so.
I will never forget Miyazano nor this tournament. Both will remain an indelible memory. Fraga, Hizal and now Miyazano. Wow. Top class.
Gotta watch Serrano and Gallo.

Coming back to Miyazano, I'm wondering if he'll eventually get an offer for real world racing like Fraga.

Well congrats to the nations cup winner, really was a very interesting set of races to watch particularly Tokyo in the wet with the Porsche's.

Reminds me that I always need to be constantly practicing when it comes to wet weather conditions in the game, I'd have been off quite a few times during that race.

I've no idea why you feel the need to bring moderator status - or indeed any personal qualities - into the discussion for any reason. If you're not happy with sensible discussion, you are by all means free not to take part in it.

Now's the time to be congratulating the World Tour winner, not complaining about the rules that made him the World Tour winner because you think it should be the World Final winner - despite it being communicated otherwise 10 months ago.

Sensible discussion would be to not argue with posters who are bringing up valid complaints about the points system. Continuously bringing up the non-congruent point that the rules were set months ago doesn’t seem very linear or sensible. Like your point exists and does not conflict with or negate the fact that many people disagree with the scoring. And telling them that now is not the time to complain is pretty silly as well. Implying that complaints are better suited to a different time, a time before the event took place, when drastically fewer people knew about the bogus scoring, is misplaced. I only bring up the mod status because this is literally what you do all the time. You passive-aggressively attack people with complaints about the game as if they are some kind of political dissidents and you’re the enforcer. So go ahead and keep making your non-points as if they are some kind of valid argument against these criticisms, even though nobody disagrees with you that the system was already in place months ago. Doesn’t change anything. It’s still a silly way to do it, and many people agree with this even if you think now is not the time to do so. One can congratulate the winners and celebrate the success of the event while also disagreeing with some aspects of it. This is a video game forum, and that’s what people do.

Yours is the one that's neither needed nor wanted if you're going to have an attitude like this. He may be a mod but he has just as much of a right to share his thoughts on things as the average forum member. If the Moderator title intimidates you, that's your problem but he's a person like the rest of us.

lol, ok buddy

snc
nope, Gallo won finals so he deserved to be champion even tough Miyazono is also amazing driver

I watched, no comments regarding bs rules but it's not Miyazono that created them so he doesn't have to comment it

It's not a comment on the rules, it was his comments on being aware of the points situation going into the final race and during the last lap knowing that not finishing third was more important than winning. Essentially over the last half lap or so, he raced to finish second - or better if the opportunity presented itself but he knew that it was more important to not finish third than it was to win. Like I said in comments above, that clearly changed how he raced at the end. Basically, he and Gallo were racing two different races at that point so a head to head comparison isn't really appropriate.

I'm not taking anything away from Gallo and his accomplishments at this event. But again, like I stated above, you're going to have a hard time convincing me that Gallo was clearly the better driver over the course of the event and therefore more deserving of the world title.

Last edited:
Sensible discussion would be to not argue with posters who are bringing up valid complaints about the points system. Continuously bringing up the non-congruent point that the rules were set months ago doesn’t seem very linear or sensible. Like your point exists and does not conflict with or negate the fact that many people disagree with the scoring. And telling them that now is not the time to complain is pretty silly as well. Implying that complaints are better suited to a different time, a time before the event took place, when drastically fewer people knew about the bogus scoring, is misplaced. I only bring up the mod status because this is literally what you do all the time. You passive-aggressively attack people with complaints about the game as if they are some kind of political dissidents and you’re the enforcer. So go ahead and keep making your non-points as if they are some kind of valid argument against these criticisms, even though nobody disagrees with you that the system was already in place months ago. Doesn’t change anything. It’s still a silly way to do it, and many people agree with this even if you think now is not the time to do so. One can congratulate the winners and celebrate the success of the event while also disagreeing with some aspects of it. This is a video game forum, and that’s what people do.
Now that is a hill to die on :lol:

So weird you're going out of your way to attack me personally for something you seem to agree with, when I'm conveying this information to a guy who's repeatedly saying the chap who won isn't the champion because he didn't win on the day, despite that not being a requirement and known about for ten months (he's also gone on Twitter to do the same thing, which is... kinda rude).

Last edited:
Back