Watch Polyphony Digital Record a KTM X-Bow for Gran Turismo

The car actually sounds really good in GTS. So this is really cool to see and hear. I can actually notice certain sounds that I can hear in the game like for instance at full revs that sounds I remember when I took this car to Blue Moon Bay for the money race. It's very similar just less loud in GTS. I hope they improve it in GT7, and make the cars sound louder, more aggressive. Give them that scary feel and sound that they have in real life or other games.

I just hope PD did it proper to GT7, and I think it is, GT Sport was finally a good one in this domain.

But GT7 add exhaust tuning part (sport, racing, etc...), so, how they managed it? :)

The car actually sounds really good in GTS. So this is really cool to see and hear. I can actually notice certain sounds that I can hear in the game like for instance at full revs that sounds I remember when I took this car to Blue Moon Bay for the money race. It's very similar just less loud in GTS. I hope they improve it in GT7, and make the cars sound louder, more aggressive. Give them that scary feel and sound that they have in real life or other games.
Yes, louder, more aggressive, more raw but still clean. Kinda like the car sounds in PCARS2 which are the most raw I've ever heard...but more refined. Heck, I only bought that game just because of one car, the '69 Camaro, because it sounded so darn good.

Sound plays a massive role for immersion...

I have this vision of there being a way to create sound in-game, replicating real life sounds of each and every component realistically. Kinda like Ray Tracing, but for sound. Sound not made by recording it, but made naturally in a simulated environment. That may sound kinda impossible but, I can dream, can't I?

After having to drive the ktm so much for grinding reasons before the Lewis dlc came out, i have to say its spectacularly close to the recording,in general they are super accurate sounds, but some cars lack enthusiasm, like the fxx for example, one thing i would love to see in gt7 improve, on the other hand some sound better than the real thing, like the new nsx!

It was two guys comparing how PD used to record car audio and how now they seem to privilege recording in anechoic chamber with sets of dual microphones placed at key spots (the KTM footage let us to see dual mics placed just behind exhaust and where the chase cam supposed to be). The facility lets PD to record the car not only while revving still but also with the whole mechanic and moving parts (a bit like on a dyno). It looked very much like the pic from the recording of the Zonda.

- The anechoic chamber let them to record the car in controlled environment. They don't want the mics to pick the specific reverberations sound/coloration from a particular location (since any noise will sound different depending of the place where it is emitted). It also avoid to pick random parasite noises like wind, birds, trains, etc. I assume they need the sound source to be as clean as possible in order to apply the appropriate reverbs (with convolutions and Fourier transforms by PS5 Tempest Engine ?) and to make it sound natural.

- The dual microphones must be there to make 3D binaural recordings thus reinforcing feeling of "presence" while ingame. So left mic won't pick exactly the same sounds as right mic because they are not placed at the very same place in order to mimic the human head where left ear do not pick exactly what right ear is picking. When you are at the concerthall, you won't hear the same thing depending on where you are sitting ; here it is the same principle but more subtle. We have to note that in the previous pictures of PD recording process, there were not dual mics but single mics only.

The KTM car audio was the GT version with windscreen, so not exactly the same model as the one featured in GTSport (but the impact regarding ingame sound reproduction should be close zero though). The picture is from 2017 and shared by an Audi/KTM concession if I remember correctly.

They did not talked about GT7 nor PS5 but I assume it was hinting at what is coming next and that's why it was taken down.

Edit : Here is the page cached by Google : https://webcache.googleusercontent....+&cd=1&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client=firefox-b-d

Last edited:
Back