Watkins Glen and the American FR Challenge

• Thread starter Live25
  • 65 comments
For those who have expressed interest. Here’s a sample format.

ClubmanCup 700 event at Watkins Glen
Pre-1980 American-made FR (to include CHC Nova, Eckert’s Mach Forty, RS Roadster & Wicked GT; swapped engines OK)
Sports tires
2 classes (600/700) or 1 class (650), you guys decide
Best Lap and Best Overall to start, if this gets big enough, we’ll do best of both PER MODEL also

650 restriction in place (bonus points for whoever identifies that livery, hint: they are an active forum member):

View attachment 1167691
View attachment 1167693
View attachment 1167692

NOTE: Tuning sheets will not be required, that will be entirely up to you to submit.

Welp, I lost, mostly because I’ve never driven the Cobra before. This competetion will have to rely on the honor system. If you cheat, the only one who will know is you, but if you’re cool running around with BS bragging rights, because that’s the only prize here.

View attachment 1167694View attachment 1167695

I would love to get this up and running ASAP. So for those interested, your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sounds good! 650PP seems a good target, most of the cars in the list should be able to get close to that.

Late to the party but I love big old FRs on this track. Way off the pace with the first attempt. Needs a lot of suspension and gear tuning, still spinning up in 4th. Didn’t want to add the rear wing but a death trap without.

0FB13D1B-38EB-466C-81D0-1A86F79762A6.jpeg

F0E8B3C8-C4A3-499E-87CB-A50729CDB9FB.jpeg

For those who have expressed interest. Here’s a sample format.

ClubmanCup 700 event at Watkins Glen
Pre-1980 American-made FR (to include CHC Nova, Eckert’s Mach Forty, RS Roadster & Wicked GT; swapped engines OK)
Sports tires
2 classes (600/700) or 1 class (650), you guys decide
Best Lap and Best Overall to start, if this gets big enough, we’ll do best of both PER MODEL also

650 restriction in place (bonus points for whoever identifies that livery, hint: they are an active forum member):

View attachment 1167691
View attachment 1167693
View attachment 1167692

NOTE: Tuning sheets will not be required, that will be entirely up to you to submit.

Welp, I lost, mostly because I’ve never driven the Cobra before. This competetion will have to rely on the honor system. If you cheat, the only one who will know is you, but if you’re cool running around with BS bragging rights, because that’s the only prize here.

View attachment 1167694View attachment 1167695

I would love to get this up and running ASAP. So for those interested, your feedback is greatly appreciated.
That Shelby is a bear to tame. It’s also what I used to learn the track, win the circuit events, AND learn how to drive with TC0! What a week that was. I’d love to keep using that car, so this sounds like fun.

I’m kinda partial to two different classes. I’m afraid that 650 splits the difference a little too closely because the jump from 600 to 700 is significant, and that stupid transmission glitch makes it too easy to detune some bigger cars. But I’ll give it a shot either way.

I got a victory with Praiano's tune. It's a very fun, 600pp, well-balanced Camaro.
I can't remember the AI difficulty so I'll have to try it again.
Hey mate, your Camaro tune is good for the new events in Watkins Glen :cheers:

Those Vipers are too damn fast!
LOdvkrh.png

But in the end, mission complete!
sdT22S3.png

edit: it's definitely possible to win on hard difficulty!

last lap at bus stop is when I got 2nd place
hHTO1qw.png

1st place
9S6EnMK.png

Curiously that this time the 03' Viper wasn't even on top5.

Last edited:
I am having a ko+ind of mental blackout at the moment...

I just made two screenshots, one of the race result and one of my car(just a in the post above from Fezzik), but I have no clue how I can get them here into the forum...

Well I don't even know, how I can get those photos out of my PS4...
They do show up in my PS4 gallery(but not in my GT7 Showroom), and there I can click on them and then click on share-but I then I get only three options to share:"Twitter", "Activities" and "Massages"...none of them will help me, to make them show up here in the forum...what did I get or do wrong ?

To keep it simpler, I would go for PP650 instead of two classes(600/700)...but I'll take it, as it comes...
Well darnit, just when I'd been convinced to run separate classes. I think 6 & 700 is the way to go...if the recent increase in interest is any indication.
I am having a ko+ind of mental blackout at the moment...

I just made two screenshots, one of the race result and one of my car(just a in the post above from Fezzik), but I have no clue how I can get them here into the forum...

Well I don't even know, how I can get those photos out of my PS4...
They do show up in my PS4 gallery(but not in my GT7 Showroom), and there I can click on them and then click on share-but I then I get only three options to share:"Twitter", "Activities" and "Massages"...none of them will help me, to make them show up here in the forum...what did I get or do wrong ?
You have come to the right place, or at least the right member. Screenshot how-to.

So it appears the interest level has come back up for this. I'll start pulling what data has been submitted so far and we'll go from there!

Last edited:
Well darnit, just when I'd been convinced to run separate classes. I think 6 & 700 is the way to go...if the recent increase in interest is any indication.

You have come to the right place, or at least the right member. Screenshot how-to.

So it appears the interest level has come back up for this. I'll start pulling what data has been submitted so far and we'll go from there!
Thanks for the link...

Now that I have done some races, I think the best solution would be one class for all that is 600-700PP-we can all see the exact PP in the photos anyway...but that's just my opinion

Thanks for the link...

Now that I have done some races, I think the best solution would be one class for all that is 600-700PP-we can all see the exact PP in the photos anyway...but that's just my opinion
I hope it made sense.

That may be the best concept yet. Imagine the driver with a 638 PP posting better times than a 699.74 in the same car.

Probably WTC800, but I've not attempted that.
Well rats! The WTC800 is the only way to get the Nova, Rampage, Mach Forty or the Coupe into a race. Maybe these will have to be in a spin-off class as they will be at a distinct disadvantage in the 800.

59BB3470-ADDD-45F0-ABA4-16F04C8391FD.jpeg

I can’t figure out how to get ‘track shots’ exported to the app for uploading, so this is the best I’ve got.

3E21D201-960E-4002-8139-E13BCD09CA32.jpeg

Included because the timing of the photo is perfect!

5649A940-E8EF-4DBA-81EA-5176948F8AB3.jpeg

Is sub 10:00 overall going to wind up as the ’brass ring’?

36E7B5A3-DDBF-48A7-BFA2-1951908F5BA7.jpeg
7AF4E339-31DB-4661-80E6-29883B9B70C7.jpeg

There is no chance at being competitive at the 800. This was on easy and granted I was on RH’s and made a handful of big mistakes, but even if I could shave a minute off I’m in the middle of the pack at best.

EDIT: Both times are DQ’d as I just realized I had RH’s on for both races.

Last edited:
Might try the Challenger with good front and rear downforce. Boss 429, with its tractability(it's my best handling Pony car).
Mach 1s have good power too.

I thought I gave the Challenger a run at some point, but can’t find any results.

That 429 may be a nice pick as well.

The swapped-Mach I was the first car I ever put on this track, really enjoyed it!

I thought I gave the Challenger a run at some point, but can’t find any results.

That 429 may be a nice pick as well.

The swapped-Mach I was the first car I ever put on this track, really enjoyed it!
Yeah, I've a few NA & SC Coyote Mach 1s and SC 351s. Haven't run them at this event.

Well, after suffering the indignity of having to DQ myself for improper tires, I ran it back today on SS’s and actually beat my overall time from yesterday.

95519FB1-2429-49DD-8DFF-160FDC2D8A73.jpeg

Last edited:
I gave this a go with my 700pp Le Mans tuned Challenger ‘70, wide body wide wheels, engine swapped.

And got this as the result
Well now I feel like a fool. Unless someone were to delve deep into the thread, they wouldn’t know the restrictions intended for this. US-made FR Road Car <700PP Sport/Comfort Tires.

Those are astounding times however, I am not trying to diminish your accomplishment in any way. In fact, I had to DQ some times of my own earlier this week for the same thing. I did pretty good on the retry I thought, until I saw your times! I’m curious how you’ll turn out on Sports, but it doesn’t look like you will have a problem, lol.

Well now I feel like a fool. Unless someone were to delve deep into the thread, they wouldn’t know the restrictions intended for this. US-made FR Road Car <700PP Sport/Comfort Tires.

Those are astounding times however, I am not trying to diminish your accomplishment in any way. In fact, I had to DQ some times of my own earlier this week for the same thing. I did pretty good on the retry I thought, until I saw your times! I’m curious how you’ll turn out on Sports, but it doesn’t look like you will have a problem, lol.
Whoops was it supposed to be on sports? 😂

Literally just jumped in with the tune I use for LeMans, might try sports tyres sometime this weekend as an update

Whoops was it supposed to be on sports? 😂

Literally just jumped in with the tune I use for LeMans, might try sports tyres sometime this weekend as an update
As I said, I accept FULL responsibility for that. But thank you, I heavily edited the OP to clarify everything now.

I’d love to see what you can do. Your overall is over a minute faster than mine (RH) and your lap beat mine (RH) by 7 seconds…

As I said, I accept FULL responsibility for that. But thank you, I heavily edited the OP to clarify everything now.

I’d love to see what you can do. Your overall is over a minute faster than mine (RH) and your lap beat mine (RH) by 7 seconds…
Here’s the updated result, will update with video tomorrow

Definitely give the tune a go, even for the Le Mans 700 race with RH and heavy wets

Last edited:
With those kind of results, I kind of have to try the tune! Any notable changes to it after you swapped the tires or just crank up the ECU/Restrictor?
I wouldn’t crank up the ecu 😂 on SS I had to be extra careful on throttle and brake a bit earlier,

I think some play with the LSD settings would fix that to get More confidence on throttle and a faster time, going from RH to SS dropped 30pp I think

I wouldn’t crank up the ecu 😂 on SS I had to be extra careful on throttle and brake a bit earlier,

I think some play with the LSD settings would fix that to get More confidence on throttle and a faster time, going from RH to SS dropped 30pp I think
I‘ll give the RH version a go at Sarthe and maybe you’ll have the updated SS tune by the time I’m done.

325A38EE-DC30-42B7-8624-276224D7F8A7.jpeg

That little sliver of rain, maybe 30-40 seconds worth, did THAT to the track and I had to swap to IM’s to finish.

90AD6174-5A82-4D39-A6A2-3DD045B1FEA1.jpeg

Then the track dried so quickly my tires were shot for the hot-lap, maddening!

I made a few post-race adjustments, primarily added a SC, Intercooler and Rigidity as the fuel economy was good enough I think it will still turn 3 laps at FM6 (your tune gave me 5 at 3 using an AT). I’d like to touch-up the gearbox a bit as well.

Very nice overall, safe as a bank vault to drive.

Last edited:
I’m still working on it folks. I have placeholders for everything submitted so far, I just need to plug the data in.

Back