Ways to Improve GT5 NOT A WISHLIST

  • Thread starter Thread starter blah blah blah
  • 60 comments
  • 4,613 views
Messages
635
Australia
Look Behind You
Messages
fwwwm
Hi all I searched for this and Couldn't find anything so it leads me to Create the...


GT5 Suggestion Box​

Basically you post things that you want included in the next patch that would improve the game. IMPROVEMENTS ONLY I don't want to hear about what people want, just ideas to improve the game.

I'll Start:

.The two most obvious things: More Cars and More Tracks!! Please don't mention these as they are very obvious
. Ability to put livery on cars. At least all premiums.

Thanks all :)
 
Last edited:
Another wishlist thread would be splendid.

On a serious note. I've been wanting tabs in the garage but more like files to organize and move around your cars. Such as a Race Car file and Collector Cars file. Things like that would be nice.

Tree'd?
 
Another wishlist thread would be splendid.

On a serious note. I've been wanting tabs in the garage but more like files to organize and move around your cars. Such as a Race Car file and Collector Cars file. Things like that would be nice.

Tree'd?

This isn't a wishlist thread it's more of a Suggestion thread. Ways to IMPROVE the game not what users want. But that is a good idea.
 
I kind of took the whole displaying ideas as making a wishlist thread. That's usually how threads like this turn out.

Improvements then... how about AI that don't slow down when you overtake them. Brings out a lot of fun...
 
Maybe I will edit my starter post to emphasise that...

Yes overall Improvements to the AI would be lovely.
 
Feedback section ;)

There's also a wishlist thread or three thousand somewhere. :)
Aren't they all locked? :sly: And I'm serious. :grumpy:

Anyhow... good grief do I have suggestions, but here's a good start.
  • Do an update that brings all the improvements from Arcade Mode to GT Mode, such as the new tire models and A.I. difficulty.
  • More A-Spec and B-Spec events, and expand existing events to use more races and ALL of the tracks. Also, make the tracks suit the events more, such as European style settings for DTM-based races, etc.
  • Manufacturer Cup races, as with GT4, and accessible from the New Car Dealerships or from your garage, selectable through your car.
  • Greatly expand the Race Mod car list, and give us alternate liveries we can paint various colors, if not basic livery templates we can add decals, names, national flags and racing number plaques to. At some point, a full blown Livery Editor in the style of Turn 10's or Eutechnyx's.
  • Event Generator as in GT2, suitable for creating racing events or entire championships by stringing together a list of tracks (to 20 or more), defining rules, car restrictions, penalties and rewards. Online for anyone, or offline for yourself.
  • Expand the Course Maker with many more locations and options.
  • Give the Paint Shop a list of basic colors and a few exotics so we don't have to buy a freaking CAR for a chip whenever we want to paint one! Gah!
  • Improve the A.I. so that it's more aggressive, specifically that they won't give up if you pull far ahead of them - good point on that. 👍
  • Just give us all the Photo Mode locations, and add more to the list. And pardon me if they've done this already, I have yet to touch P Mode.
That's all my sleep deprived brain can think of right now. :p
 
The ability to level up beyond 40. I know this may be insane to some, but some of us are on our second or third accounts. There's just something gratifying about being promoted. And I'm not talking about COD prestige.

I strongly agree that AI slowing when you pass is annoying, I've rear ended more than one because of it.
 
[*]Expand the Course Maker with many more locations and options.

Defintely Needed. I'd like a desert rally Course Maker option myself.

XXI
The ability to level up beyond 40. I know this may be insane to some, but some of us are on our second or third accounts. There's just something gratifying about being promoted. And I'm not talking about COD prestige.

I strongly agree that AI slowing when you pass is annoying, I've rear ended more than one because of it.

If the ability to level up was included in the next patch more events would have to be included. Rally perhaps? I loved doing rally events in previous GT games.

There also seems to be general concern for AI (which I share) :p
 
Last edited:
[*]Manufacturer Cup races, as with GT4, and accessible from the New Car Dealerships or from your garage, selectable through your car.
[*]Greatly expand the Race Mod car list, and give us alternate liveries we can paint various colors, if not basic livery templates we can add decals, names, national flags and racing number plaques to. At some point, a full blown Livery Editor in the style of Turn 10's or Eutechnyx's.
[*]Event Generator as in GT2, suitable for creating racing events or entire championships by stringing together a list of tracks (to 20 or more), defining rules, car restrictions, penalties and rewards. Online for anyone, or offline for yourself.
[*]Expand the Course Maker with many more locations and options.
[*]Give the Paint Shop a list of basic colors and a few exotics so we don't have to buy a freaking CAR for a chip whenever we want to paint one! Gah!

This 👍
And a possibility to create Point to point tracks in the Course Maker.
 
Just got a good idea A paint shop accesed in GT Auto. Pretty Self Explanatory you go there and buy paint chips for 100 credits (say) each maybe? This not so much but the same thing for museum cards. Not that I (or anyone else realy) look at them.
 
And a possibility to create Point to point tracks in the Course Maker.
Point to point races in the Course Maker! Yes, and LONG ones too! Boy am I tired. :p

It would allow us to make our own rally stages. And of course, add the option to use our creations in the Event Generator track list.
 
Point to point races in the Course Maker! Yes, and LONG ones too! Boy am I tired. :p

It would allow us to make our own rally stages. And of course, add the option to use our creations in the Event Generator track list.

Good one you also pointed out different locations does that mean real life places or certain environments ie forests, deserts ect.
 
-First of all, improve sound!!! (especially Tires and engine) the sound section is the one that sets gt far behind from many other racing sims, I think.
Then there are a lot of things that can be done.
-More competitive single player racing (too easy even with all aids off, and much more -easy if you use a powerful car, even without tuning it!)
-More online events with rankings!!!!
-Day/night cycle and weather for ALL tracks!
-improve framerate in cockpit view to give a better drive feeling (I still see the difference from hood/external view to cockpit view in terms of framerate, 720 is maybe 3-4 frames higher than 1080p but still not perfect!)

For GT6 (it's a hard work): improve rally physics and create a wrc-like experience (with generated tracks with lots of parameters and details)

Advice for Polyphony: look at how Slightly Mad Studios are working at Project C.A.R.S. along with users, I know it's on pc so it's a different situations, but they are creating a huge game with so much realism in it (not completely sure about physics), great visuals, vehicle dynamics (you can see every part of the car moving, it's fantastic!), and... the sounds!!!!!
Seems like Polyphony is not looking at other racing sims, just doing their job (I'm not saying that GT sucks, I love the car models and the handling) without taking advices from what is now the sim-racing world, so they excel in some areas, and do not excel in some other! There are many websites that talk about racing sims (think VirtualR, InsideSimRacing...) some of them cared about GT only when it came out and not much now, because of the lack of competition the game gives to the players (the only thing that really asks you to push to the limits is maybe... time trials? Not online events, not single player races with AI, surely not the boring B-spec) and even if the game is made in a good way, still feels the SAME game every time you play it. Always the same weak light and sunny weather on 90% of tracks, damage is there but it's a minor feature compared to other games (not talking about Dirt 3, I'm talking about racing simulators with realistic handling), during races there is never anything exciting going on, just cars moving around, no crashes, no breathtaking overtakes and moves from the AI, that could be funny online if the online mode worked better and was built in a better way
 
Good one you also pointed out different locations does that mean real life places or certain environments ie forests, deserts ect.
Gran Turismo has had a tradition of using fantasy tracks, so I'm fine with locations that aren't real, just realistic. Especially since it can cost money for licensing of real world locations. I do want real world race courses as much as anyone, but the team is very good at creating tracks and environments.

even if the game is made in a good way, still feels the SAME game every time you play it. Always the same weak light and sunny weather on 90% of tracks...during races there is never anything exciting going on, just cars moving around, no crashes, no breathtaking overtakes and moves from the AI, that could be funny online if the online mode worked better and was built in a better way
I like my PC sims too, but with GT5, I feel quite the opposite to you and many of your sim cohorts.

They are quite accurate physically, to one extent or other, but I haven't been impressed with any PC sim's A.I. over GT5's. In fact, I dreaded every chicane I came to in the GTR games because the bots would completely lose their minds, and grind their cars through them like six year olds were driving!

I've been quite underwhelmed by the whole PC sim world after Prologue came out, and even more so with GT5 and Forza 4. I can't do well in Forza for one reason or another, but I see car dynamics in it that I've only seen in Live For Speed, another game with excellent physics. It sounds as if C.A.R.S. is similar, I'll have to check it out sometime. Supposedly rFactor 2 and GTR 3 are promising as well.

But I don't feel the involvement in the sims that I do GT5. For one thing, a big thing for me, I own the car. It's not a "loaner" like all the cars in every sim, which has someone else's name and number and livery on it. For another, the races feel just as competitive to me as the races in GT5. The bots do tend to surrender if you get very far ahead of them in GT5, that does need to be fixed, but other than them braking too hard in turns, there's really not that much difference between bots in the sims and in GT5. I don't think the sounds are much better at all. The graphics in the sims, till these new games appear, are also rather poor. Your point about more tracks in GT5 needing to have time of day transition and weather is very good. I was surprised to see how few tracks featured this. But for those that do, such as Suzuka and the Nurburgring, the effect of night descending over the world is almost breathtaking. I can watch evening fireworks for quite some time and enjoy them!

I know what you sim guys are saying, but I've been there, and until the new generation of games come along, I think all the glorious proclamations of how superior they are, are a bit overstated. Even the physics in GT5 is surprisingly close.
 
Gran Turismo has had a tradition of using fantasy tracks, so I'm fine with locations that aren't real, just realistic. Especially since it can cost money for licensing of real world locations. I do want real world race courses as much as anyone, but the team is very good at creating tracks and environments.

Yes True...

I have also just got a good idea:
What if we were to ad AIs to online race for example you're in an online lobby hosted by you ask you chat 'This is boring theres only 2 of us why don't we add an AI to make it more fun?' So you've added three AIs and it's a much more enjoyable race. Better still they can have certain skill levels so if you're good drivers you can add expert AIs or if you're total n00bs you can add very easy AIs and you can also select cars for them.

EDIT: Even Better Still you can add your bobs (but not control them obviously) and race against them yourself which would be fun because you trained them.
 
Front aero for all cars would improve it for me, especially for online race series.
 
I have also just got a good idea:
What if we were to ad AIs to online race for example you're in an online lobby hosted by you ask you chat 'This is boring theres only 2 of us why don't we add an AI to make it more fun?' So you've added three AIs and it's a much more enjoyable race. Better still they can have certain skill levels so if you're good drivers you can add expert AIs or if you're total n00bs you can add very easy AIs and you can also select cars for them.

EDIT: Even Better Still you can add your bobs (but not control them obviously) and race against them yourself which would be fun because you trained them.
This is known in shooter games as "co-op mode," or co-operative play, and something else I've forgotten about. Jeepers, when you let your imagination fly, there are about a million things we could think of for GT5 and 6. And actually, since the game will support up to 16 cars - with a mix of Standards too anyhow, you could load up a room with as many bots as you needed to have a 16 car field. This is why most of my racing is in Arcade Mode, for the large field of cars. Great for Photo Mode replays. Now, if I just had the time to do some pic taking...
 
Front aero for all cars would improve it for me, especially for online race series.
1. Functional Aerodynamic parts from GTAuto. +1

2. A-Spec, the option to change the list of competitors from names to cars, like B-Spec.

3. Different color triangles for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cars on the map while racing.

4. Accurate tire wear and degradation. IE. Hards last longer than Softs, Softs grip more.

5. Improved AI pit strategy for endurance races.
 
When you pass a checkpoint in 1st place and the car behind you passes it, show which car it actually is as in previous GTs

This is known in shooter games as "co-op mode," or co-operative play, and something else I've forgotten about. Jeepers, when you let your imagination fly, there are about a million things we could think of for GT5 and 6. And actually, since the game will support up to 16 cars - with a mix of Standards too anyhow, you could load up a room with as many bots as you needed to have a 16 car field. This is why most of my racing is in Arcade Mode, for the large field of cars. Great for Photo Mode replays. Now, if I just had the time to do some pic taking...

Take Company of Heroes for example (assuming you have played it but I'd bet you have) where you can add CPUs to make it a good game. But realy you are right there are many many ways to improve this game.

Different color triangles for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cars on the map while racing.

4. Accurate tire wear and degradation. IE. Hards last longer than Softs, Softs grip more.

Different clour triangles would be interesting but it is uneccesary. You know they are there and you can see the map so why is this needed?

Accurate tires: Big must. There should be a balance between Soft tires and Hards.
 
Last edited:
I think that GT5 could be improved by customers writing reviews about GT5 and in these reviews customers can talk about areas that can be improved. This process could involve anyone who has purchased a copy of GT5, customers could be given a specific code so that they can use this code to get access to writing and editing their reviews. Polyphony can focus on those things that regularly appear in these reviews, e.g. the majority of people want more real world tracks, then Polyphony could work towards providing these tracks to all GT5 customers.
 
Last edited:
I think that GT5 could be improved by customers writing reviews about GT5 and in these reviews customers can talk about areas that can be improved. This could involve anyone who has purchased a copy of GT5, customers could be given a specific code so that they can use this code to get access to writing and editing their reviews. Polyphony can focus on those things that regularly appear in these reviews, e.g. the majority of people want more real world tracks, then Polyphony could work towards providing these tracks to all GT5 customers.

That's the whole point of this thread.
 
Accurate tires: Big must. There should be a balance between Soft tires and Hards.
I'm not sure how accurate they are, but I really like the tires in Arcade Mode. They're a step in the right direction. If the team could work with a tire company like Michelin or Yokohama, or several of them, to work on an efficient set of parameters that would run well on 64 tires - a full 16 car field, and with all the various tire types, I'm sure we'd be in racing heaven.

@ SAFFY

That's an interesting idea, but there are too many knot-heads on the planet who would abuse the privilege. PD does have people who check boards like this for user feedback, so this would be a worthwhile thread to dump your thoughts into. Whenever you play GT5, think, "Hm, this could be better," jot a note on a piece of paper or Notepad on your PC, and post it in here. I'm afraid my racing will have to wait till tomorrow, but I'm hot to get back to it.
 
I'm not sure how accurate they are, but I really like the tires in Arcade Mode. They're a step in the right direction. If the team could work with a tire company like Michelin or Yokohama, or several of them, to work on an efficient set of parameters that would run well on 64 tires - a full 16 car field, and with all the various tire types, I'm sure we'd be in racing heaven.

To get licences it would cost PD ALOT of money.

Whenever you play GT5, think, "Hm, this could be better," jot a note on a piece of paper or Notepad on your PC, and post it in here.

Exactly the point of this thread. Hopefully it can get pinned so everyone can discuss what's needed without having to look for it.
 
Last edited:
To get (tire) licences it would cost PD ALOT of money.
It could, I agree. But it depends. A Lot of the automotive world begs to be included in the GT world, and this would mean some free advertising for the tire companies, just as Gran Turismo games became free and very good marketing for Nissan, Mazda, Honda and Toyota, among many other brands. It's hard to say just how much GT has helped with BMW's image, for instance.

Even though I have some problems with Forza 4, MS did some marvelous work with Pirelli on the tire model. It's entirely possible for work done on GT6 in this regard to trickle down into GT5. It may not happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.
 
Ideas for online room improvements

Specific Cars from own garage online.

Online would be enhanced by the room owner having the option to select exactly the cars they want to be used in the room from their own garage. If this were too long a process of uploading and downloading then cars that the room owner has made available for friends to borrow could be used (increase this number from 6 to 16 though). Then only those cars could be selected by room members. This could also be done in shuffle mode where the cars are given out randomly.

Team Events

Online Team Events where room members are split into 2-8 teams randomly or room owner selected with points awarded per driver and team and cars assigned per team. Would be great for racing leagues etc

Rolling Room Results Table

Rolling room results table available for most recent races (eg last 10) - showing who is the most successful overall driver for those races - sortable by both credits earned and a simple points system also showing the number of races participated in. Set number of points for a position but sorting by credits would show who cut it in the high earning races (like endurance ones).
 
No Level cap and no Credit cap.
 
A paint shoppe is not a bad idea at all. PD should implement one like the UCD; for every day that passes, the paint shoppe's selection of paints cycles and becomes updated with new ones; a max of 100 paints on display, with ten new paints per day passed.

You should be able to buy at least five paint chips before that paint color becomes sold out.

It's actually quite of a novelty idea.
 
Back