Weather funny thing: Better laptime with humidity

  • Thread starter Thread starter Flaren89
  • 48 comments
  • 7,406 views
I kind of felt there was something wrong when driving on wet surfaces. Add to that the fact that regular tires work better than Wet/Intermediate tires when water is at 100%
I remember it being the same in GT5 no? Being able to set faster times with slicks than with wet tyres on soaked tracks?
 
OP's observations about dissipation rates for differing wheel types are interesting (eg Race versus Road).

IRL the heat buildup in the tyre is contributed to by the heat in the brake and wheel body, road wheels (generally) hold much more heat for longer. Surely PD aren't simulating that?! :)
 
Yes. It is unfortunately the same in GT6.
Would that be an indication that they put in 0 work on the tyre model, and the new physics strictly concern the weight transfer feel? Didn't they partner up with Yokohama for GT6?

Not being sarcastic here, just asking.
 
I remember it being the same in GT5 no? Being able to set faster times with slicks than with wet tyres on soaked tracks?

It definitely wasn't :lol: on GT5 slicks were good up to about 30% surface water, inters up to 70%, then obviously full wets :)
 
Today I grabbed my DELTA on Eiger Nordwand - Short to do one of the hotlaps I usually upload on youtube.
Decided yesterday to do it with 20% humidity because I wish to try with a little of water on the track (mainly after the 0 visibility and traction of 100% rain and humidity on Suzuka with the HSV-010 GT500, a real pain and semi-fail by me) and this morning I did the lap.
After saving replay, I wanted to try without water, completely dry just to see the limit of the car. And... Somewhat surprisingly, I was slower in dry conditions than with 20% humidity. So, the question is: how could this happen?
I took 10 minutes of attempts in both conditions in order to understand the reason, and the solution was the temperature of the tires and the grip. Because even in "Real" grip reduction, the grip of a stock DELTA on Comfort tires it's almost the same of dry conditions, just little worst, but in a dry track, the tires get overheat (red) in the apex of the turn and they lose the grip.

This thread was created by me just to make you notice this and that if you want to get the better laptimes IN SOME CARS it's better to have a 10-20% humidity on the track, if available.

If the part I bolded means what I think it does (that you're only getting faster times with low grip reduction) then there is no problem here. Low grip reduction isn't supposed to simulate real conditions, it basically equates to easy mode, where grip stays relatively the same no matter what the road surface is like, but tyre temperatures are affected by rain et cetera. Any analysis of GT6's physics engine with low grip reduction is irrelevant.
 
Ain't it so that engine perform better under humidity than when it's dry?
20% to me means damp track. With racing tires running on 100°C +, a bit of damp track is no problem.
In F1 the moment to change tires is also pretty high. Season 2013 had at least one race where slicks where quiker in the drizzle than intermediates. Because intermediates are more of a rain tire than a cut slick tire (from the old days).
Intermediates become to quickly warm. Wich is bad for the amount of grip.
 
If the part I bolded means what I think it does (that you're only getting faster times with low grip reduction) then there is no problem here. Low grip reduction isn't supposed to simulate real conditions, it basically equates to easy mode, where grip stays relatively the same no matter what the road surface is like, but tyre temperatures are affected by rain et cetera. Any analysis of GT6's physics engine with low grip reduction is irrelevant.

U mislead that. I run ONLY in "Real" grip reduction setting. The thing you bolded is that in "Real" the reduction of grip is really thin and so if the car normally tents to overheat tires like a stock DELTA (but it seems to be most of the road cars), you get better overall grip in 10-20% wetness on the track than on perfect dry conditions as in this last one you loose lot of grip because of the overheat.
 
By humidity you mean track wetness correct? Humidity is the level of moisture in the air...
 
Guys read all posts, not only first and last one... Yes, for humidity i mean track wetness, the wrong word is a traduction issue on my language.
 
Delete
 
Last edited:
Would that be an indication that they put in 0 work on the tyre model, and the new physics strictly concern the weight transfer feel? Didn't they partner up with Yokohama for GT6?

Not being sarcastic here, just asking.

The tyres are way different compared to GT5, so they must have put some work into it.
 
Yes. It is unfortunately the same in GT6.

Career mode track grip is set to low. Low track grip slicks have always been faster than wet tires.

Track grip set to real, rain tires are faster than slicks generally above 25%

When track grip set to real, comfort softs are faster than slicks in the rain. So it doesn't surprise me to see comfort softs doing about the same lap times in the dry or wet road @ 20%, there is not enough water on track to mae a difference to the grooved tires
 
By humidity you mean track wetness correct? Humidity is the level of moisture in the air...

Yes, I already covered that with him and straightened it all out. I guess you must have missed that part of the conversation. :)
 
Interesting finding, but I believe you should do some more tests > different cars ,tracks ,conditions ... to make any final verdict on tires.

Just tried few quick laps an ascari in 100 % wet track with CRZ and no way that any other tires than RWets (nonsense 4 a car like CRZ :D) give better control or laptime > Tried Rw,RH, SS,SH,CS. With any other tire than RW car is just floating on a water - aquaplaning.

But then I've remembered I've had much better feel of control with RH than RW when doing Rainmasters challenge, because there a track got wet progressively with time. From 0-100%.

I got a hunch than unless track is mostly covered with water (80%-100%) you get better performance with standard types of tires , because ie. 50 % wet means only 50% of track covered with water > track is dry ,but there are patches of water on or viceversa

PS: and to make less confusion in terminology you should change > humidity to wetness > that is the word used in EN version of game ,so anyone will understand what is a talk about and not nitpicking on word humidity (used in IT version ?) :D
 
Pd really need an in depth manual for a "simulator"....

I'm telling ya, look at the flight sims out there..
 
Back