Week 101: RCNG-101 Beginner's Racing

• Thread starter Kent
  • 185 comments
Thanks for the props Panzer! 👍

Im still trying to get faster, but I havent been able to string one together like that, The first sector time I have posted is still by far my fastest.

Its easier when youre driving pretty much your favorite car one one of your favorite tracks..Thanks for a great challenge Kent!

-bbq

Luxy
Haven't had any time to get a run in yet :ill: It looks like fun though, a really nice combo :D

Anyway, the leaderboard is up to date 👍

Good job on the leader board there Luxy !!! 👍
I'll have to put more effort in seen as though you've gone to the trouble of doing that !! 4th for div 2, I'll have another crack when I get up.

updated lap time by .2 (every bit counts)

T1: 35.924
T2: 1:01.973

I'm just starting to figure out T1, im gettin 35.8xx fairly often with the occasional .6xx
Ive never seen my T2 better though.

ok just letting everybody know....

bbq is the real deal, ive been running gt3 with him since we started college way back when...and we still have close races (stupid s2000 of his takes out my freakin fd all the time)

i havent registered yet for the week since im only running a 1:24.044 for the qualifier...once i get that down to the 1:23's ill be happy...im 4 tenths slower and i cant find the time damn it... stupid evo....

Had to try, and came up with this:

T1 35.949
T2 1.02.287

Not shure about the rotary`s rev register.Where does it pull the most etc.Feels like you can " squeeze it a bit more when driven 20 laps. 💡

I'm expecting T1s of mid 35s and T2s of low 1'02s to high 1'01s by the end of the week.

Ok so it's not the end of the week yet but here goes.

T1: 35.616
T2: 1'02.102

The T1 was just about perfect, but I messed up T2 pretty bad. High 1'01s are definately possible.

Well after, last week's no-show for me, after laying down the Mini challenge gauntlet, I was unable to find a clean lap in the full-mod Mini in the 3 hrs at my disposal, since my RL became rather hectic.
I had a 6'22 lap in the arcade Mini, but on reviewing the replay it was unclean in the right angles, and I only had 5 mins to the deadline!

So then, onto this week. Starting earlier this time! ;)
10 laps down and I have a save I'm happy with so far.

T1 35.544
T2 1'01.825

Feel there's more to come, I lost time through the tight hairpin compared to the previous lap's ghost.

Update, improved by 0.5 secs:

1'01.746

Times from bbq aren't impossible to get, I didn't even nailed the rumble strips on the 2nd turn after the tunnel, and I could have gotten a bit more fast the turn after T1, so yeah, you gotta make a flawless run to get a very fast time, who knows, maybe the high 1'00's T2's are possible.

HeinrichII
you gotta make a flawless run to get a very fast time, who knows, maybe the high 1'00's T2's are possible.

Yeah, I believe it, earlier I was almost a quarter sec faster between T1 and T2, but T1 was 35.9xx, I still cant get them to come together..

Here are my best T's so far (clean lap, too):

T1: 0'36.372
T2: 1'02.875

Lot better than my previous best, but still not up there with you pro drivers ;) :D

Couple of questions:

1) Do you take the stretched right-to-left "S" after T1 in 4th or 3rd gear? I found that when I nailed that curve the best way so far (which also granted me that ^ T2) I was in 4th gear all the way through (didn't downshift to 3rd) and had a top speed of ~99 mph at the beginning of the slow 2nd gear left turn. Just wandering how you guys are doing that part... because I only managed to do it that good once...

2) Do the "break in horsepower increase"/"dirty oil horsepower decrease" rule apply to Arcade cars? In other words do you gain that +3% HP after 189mi (and the -5% HP loss due to dirty oil) as described in this thread: Everything you always wanted to know about HP, break in, and oil changes
Or does this apply only to Simulation Mode/the cars from your garage when used in Arcade?

The Wizard.

that only applys to sim cars,

I take that turn in 3rd however now i will try in 4th to see what happens

Small_Fryz
I take that turn in 3rd however now i will try in 4th to see what happens

[TheWizard beats himself up with a hammer as he might have given the pro drivers yet another idea to improve their time...] :D

Anyway... managed to get my T1 down to 0'35.9xx and 0'35.8xx in two occasions, only to mess everything else up, afterwards... So, there are definitely options for improvement... I think I am driving pretty good each section, if taken idividually. I can make a good (decent) T1, T2 and (Finish - T2) section time... in 3 different laps ;) Now if only I could do all that in the same lap :sly:

EDIT: Glad to hear that the HP doesn't change in Arcade Mode 👍

The Wizard.

4th never worked for me in that set of corners, it seem like the best thing to do is -ahem- uh, drift through the top one in 3rd to get a run on the bottom one.

btw- I have seen the light!
T1s in the 35.2 range :mischievous:
T2s in the 1'00.9xx range :mischievous:
but not on the same lap 🤬

I ran 2 laps yesterday with a clean 36.610 / 1'03.921 :yuck:
I won't have much time before the week-end, but I'll try and keep up with div 2 pace.

Improved a bit this morning.

Ive noted my lowest speed on each corner - theres 15 of them altogether.

1 - 130
2 - 155
3 - 89
4 - 113
5 - 147
6 - 155
7 - 125
8 - 145
9 - 61 (left hairpin)
10 - 106
11 - 129
12 - 122
13 - 130
14 - 89
15 - 116

Hopefully my quickest lap so far is a 3rd spot in div 2 ?? Any obvious signs of me going far too slow ??

For the lap after T1, I break till about 89-90mph and I make the car to slide a little bit, it's a tough corner but taken very well, it will give you a good T2, unless you screw it on the U turn of course ;)

bigjames i will post my speeds tommorow see how mine compare :)

Finally figured out what I was doing wrong from T1 to T2.:dunce: Now I just need to get all 3 sectors tied together on 1 lap. Best clean save so far:

35.626 / 1:01.583

I'll try again this weekend and see what I can pull out of my arse.:D

Hello all, I've had a quick run and this is my time :
T1 : 35.614
T2 : 1'02.020.
I think I can do a better time...I'm going to try!
Bye :)

bbq0801
HeinrichII,
Are you taking the right-left after T1 in 3rd or 4th gear?

EDIT: had to remember which hand was left.. :dunce:

For me it works a bit faster in low 4th gear with a slide, or you can take it without slide in a high 3rd gear(around 88-90mph), I'm not sure which of these options is the best.

Great car choice, Kent! I really despise the color white on a car :crazy: :P

As for times, I ran about 5 laps this evening. Stopped and turned off the traction control and stability management. Ran again and gained about a good second on the first lap :)

So Far:
T1= 36.044
T2= 1:02.541

C ya guys l8er
OM

HeinrichII
For the lap after T1, I break till about 89-90mph and I make the car to slide a little bit, it's a tough corner but taken very well, it will give you a good T2, unless you screw it on the U turn of course ;)

I think that section of corners is where it all happens, I always go in 3rd for this section but its quicker in 4th I think. Heinrich, do you mean you get the car sliding right or left, it must be to the right as you'd surely have words with the barrier on the left if it started sliding left ??

Yes, indeed, to the right. I tried a bit more and personally, I found a bit faster taking that turn in 4th gear, maybe a tenth of a second. But you'll end up really close to the wall of the left turn so be careful, and if you are too careful, you'll end up at the right side of the wall at the end of that left turn ;)

My first laps:

T1: 35.189
T2: 1'01.013

Hope to find another 2 tenths :dopey:

This is great fun :D Stiff competition and it's not too hard to keep it clean 👍 I'm having trouble getting consistently low T1's ... it seems to fluctuate between 35.5 and 35.8 :grumpy:

Best clean:
0'35.790
1'01.731

Seen:
0'35.4xx
1'01.6xx

CFM, what was your T1-T2 epiphany?

Care to share any tips Hugo?

Back