Week 101: RCNG-101 Beginner's Racing

• Thread starter Kent
  • 185 comments
Made some progress between T1 and T2 ... T1 is still lousy though :grumpy:

0'35.579
1'01.368

I'm still not sure where I'm losing out on T1 :confused:

My minimum speed through the tunnel is about 80-81 MPH, and my mininum speed through the crucial left is 58-59 MPH. What's everyone else getting?

T1: 35.463
T2: 1'01.676

Don"t ask me where I pulled it from! My butt is all I can guess. Suddenly i understand what they mean by breaking through. before I was strugling to match my previous times, and now this, with the distinct impression that I could go faster.:dopey: Maybe it's the "System of a Down" or maybe It's some strange cataclysmic abnormality, But I'm just driving harder and more aggresive than before and the car sticks. Before it felt like some of these manuvers would have put me into the retaining barrier, but after changing out the batteries in my CD player Even the car felt more energetic. Perhaps it's all in my head. Sorry for the essay. I have definately gotten better in just my three, short weeks in the WRS. This week specificaly. It's verry exciting.
cheerful.gif

Gotta Go. I've got apexes to carve.
burnout.gif
burnout.gif

New faster save with slower splits:

35.480 / 1:01.314

Not my best finish but about .150 faster then my last one. Still lost .100+ in the chicane & final turn. That corner's just a crapshoot most times.:indiff:

Luxy, the first left after the tunnel can be taken at 60+ MPH, the car will respond better to partial throttle when first accelerting for me. It's alot easier to ease on the accelerator with the DFP though. I love rolling the throttle on with the wheel, it's alot easier not to upset the car when you need it to be smooth.

CFM
Luxy, the first left after the tunnel can be taken at 60+ MPH, the car will respond better to partial throttle when first accelerting for me. It's alot easier to ease on the accelerator with the DFP though. I love rolling the throttle on with the wheel, it's alot easier not to upset the car when you need it to be smooth.

Thought so :crazy: I guess I've got work to do.

I'm driving with the DFP also, and I totally agree about the throttle control. Much easier to be smooth on turn-in, too :)

Luxy
I'm driving with the DFP also, and I totally agree about the throttle control. Much easier to be smooth on turn-in, too :)

Sweet, I didn't know you had one.👍 I might try once more tomorrow but I'm getting a bit aggrivated with this combo...

CFM
Sweet, I didn't know you had one.👍 I might try once more tomorrow but I'm getting a bit aggrivated with this combo...

Someone take that DFP off CFM!
Too many abbreviations for my liking! :sly:
Seriously though CFM, I've tried to get an answer to this question many times from the many WRS drivers, and never had a conclusive response....
I drive, & always have, with the D-pad on the DS2..... how much quicker, seriously, has the wheel & pedals made you? Seconds, 1/10ths or 1/100ths quicker per lap? :scared:

I'm curious to know, I know my wife'll go off on some sort of serious "geeeeeeek" rant if I buy, and race with a wheel, but what the hell! I've offered to teach her the thrills & spills of GT3, even bought her a real life Miata, so she can learn to appreciate RWD fun, but she's not overly interested, full stop.
Oh well, there's only so hard a man can try! :grumpy:

smallhorses, i found that switching from the D-Pad to the joystick thingy (for steering) has decreased my lap times considerably (at least .6 or so seconds). Even now i cant lap as fast with the Dpad as i can with the joystick.

CFM im too getting agrivated with this combo however im .4 seconds faster than I thought was a great time 3 days ago, so im getting faster but so is my expectations

Smallhorses
Someone take that DFP off CFM!
Too many abbreviations for my liking! :sly:
Seriously though CFM, I've tried to get an answer to this question many times from the many WRS drivers, and never had a conclusive response....
I drive, & always have, with the D-pad on the DS2..... how much quicker, seriously, has the wheel & pedals made you? Seconds, 1/10ths or 1/100ths quicker per lap? :scared:

I'm curious to know, I know my wife'll go off on some sort of serious "geeeeeeek" rant if I buy, and race with a wheel, but what the hell! I've offered to teach her the thrills & spills of GT3, even bought her a real life Miata, so she can learn to appreciate RWD fun, but she's not overly interested, full stop.
Oh well, there's only so hard a man can try! :grumpy:

Before I got my DFP, I used both analog sticks on my DS2, so it's not an exact comparison but ...

In terms of steering control, the DFP is definitely faster for me in road cars, where you don't have a lot of downforce. It's much, much easier to turn in gently and not let the tires brake away. It also helps a lot in long sweeping corners (like the tightening circles at Complex String), because you can steer just the right amout, rather than tap-tap-tap and the car responds better.

In terms of gas and brakes, the DFP wins hands down for me. Throttle control is much better than the analog sticks (and miles ahead of the buttons, I would imagine). The bigger difference for me though has been left-foot braking and trail-braking. I couldn't do either very well with the DS2, and both have made me a lot faster (knocked 0.400 off my T1 running an arcade RGT @ SSR5-II by trail-braking the first corner and steering smoothly).

Overall, the biggest advantage is in slower road cars. I find that I'm as fast or faster with the controller in high powered race cars, because having instant steering response offsets being less smooth when you're moving so fast. Exactly how much faster is hard to say, it really depends on the combo ... But after a week or two, it's at least as fast and way more fun 👍 Just make sure to budget / plan a good rig to put the wheel on, and be patient getting up to speed. If you get it, you won't be disappointed :)

Oh, and don't worry about getting laughed at. My wife laughs at me about it all the time, especially when the phone rings, and I can't get un-strapped from my rig fast enough to answer it :lol: :dunce:

Hello,
T1 : 35.447
T2 : 1'01.662 ----> T2's better now :)
And in the learderboard, I'm in division 1, so you can "delete" the "?" :) :dopey: :sly:
Bye all

I'm done for this week. I cannot beat my current time anymore atm.

T1: 35.170
T2: 1'00.898

Also got a clean run with a 35.101 T1 and 1'00.813 T2, but I was 0.013 slower at the finish line :crazy:

Time submitted. Had fun again this week, as usual 👍

@ Smallhorses:

I'll pretty much repeat everything Luxy said - all road cars with no downforce and around 400 HP or less the DFP is much faster. The less HP, the faster the wheel is for me. If you were able to watch my Arcade Mini run from week 100, you'd see what I mean. (Too bad because I thought that run was nearly perfect!) I can't wait to use it with GT4.:)

I work on my Time Trials in Arcade mode for the GT databases, and once switching to DFP I was able to take at least .500 of of TT's 1,2,3,4,and 8. Haven't tried the others yet. As for high HP race cars like the Mazda 787B, I'm still faster with the DS2, because I've used it for over 4 years since GT1. I think I can match it soon, but I've lost alot of interest in the fast cars right now. The biggest thing holding me back from the DFP so long is that I had no place to set it up, so I made a little stand for it next to my computer.:) I can just roll the chair back & forth between the two.

The most important thing about the DFP is:
It's way more fun!

Time submitted after only 12 laps practice :
T1 = 36.354
T2 = 1'02.919
Lap = :grumpy:

I learned more about the track however, and found two turns where I could brake less.
See you next week.

@ Luxy, Smallhorses : I made my wife read your posts, so that she realizes that being both 33 and a GT3 addict doesn't make me a unique pathological case in the world ;) (and to prepare her to the future purchase of a DFP)
@ CFM : nice desk of yours. I couldn't help rating your picture : 10/10 👍

submitting my time also

T1: 35.439
T2: 1:01.512

(same as my last time)

i just cant nail it like that again. im Very happy with my results as im less than a second from hugo / tannis / CFM which considering they were always 2 or more seconds ahead when i started wrs im very happy.

CFM
The biggest thing holding me back from the DFP so long is that I had no place to set it up, so I made a little stand for it next to my computer.:) I can just roll the chair back & forth between the two.

Here's the setup I came up with:

dfp_01.jpg

dfp_02.jpg

A Poang chair from Ikea, a bit of wood, some clamps and an afternoon with my Dad :) It had to be hideable when company comes over to keep the Mrs. happy, so the whole thing detaches from the chair to go in the closet. Only downside is that it takes a bit to get in and out of (have to do/undo all four clamps).

OMG Luxy! that just looks plain amazing!!! :eek:

Very nice work 👍

As far as for me on this race, haven't improved my time and if I not improve it in the next hours I'll submit it because tomorrow I don't know if I'll be here on the night.

Nice setup Luxy.:)

You forgot to add a racing harness so you can buckle in behind those clamps!;)

I agree with Hugo.. after about 70 laps just now I bettered my time by ~.200, but both splits are slower. I dont think im going any faster this week... :(

I have seen splits almost as fast as the ones hugo has posted, but I obviously cant match that consistency...something to work on in the coming weeks. 👍

This has been great fun everyone, and thanks for accepting me so eagerly! :cheers:

Submitted my time a few days ago after much frustration.. And I must say I'm incredibly happy to still be 3rd best in div two on the leaderboard! Wohoo! I never thought I'd rank so good at all! :) Even though it may not come out that way when the results are presented I'm still extremely happy! :dopey:

After all, good racing, you pro guys have amazing times! 👍

See you all next week! (er, this week that is..)

Cheers!

CFM
@ Smallhorses:

I'll pretty much repeat everything Luxy said - all road cars with no downforce and around 400 HP or less the DFP is much faster. The less HP, the faster the wheel is for me. If you were able to watch my Arcade Mini run from week 100, you'd see what I mean. (Too bad because I thought that run was nearly perfect!) I can't wait to use it with GT4.:)

I'll add to the GT4 comment, if you plan on racing the WRS, i'd skip out on GT4 'til the WRS moved to GT4. After playing GT4, I can't go back to 3. I tried racing and I just couldn't keep the tires on the road, I was all over the place. Most noteable differences so far is throttle and brake control. Far more control on the DFP + GT4. I was planning on racing the WRS using GT4 just to compare times, but my friend didn't have the track unlocked. Hopefully this weekend he'll have SSR5 unlocked and I can compare the 2.

Ahh!!
Just looked at the leaderboard and I'm now 1.3s slower at T2 than I was!!!! 👎

@Luxy, think you got me on the board with Flat-out's last time update!

I've not moved since my T2 of 1'01.612 👍

Back