Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 2,660 comments
Gonna try the kudosprime randomizer again, it was fun last time!

• Jimny Cup: duh
  • European FR 550: BMW 3.0 CSL '71
  • Japanese Clubman 550: Mazda RX-500
  • Civic Special: 1998 EK Type R (gonna use my swapped one)
  • GR.1 Prototypes: Porsche 962C
Nice to see I've started something... :cheers:

My cars this week will be:

Jimny Cup - probably the Suzuki Jimny, I guess?
European FR 550 - Aston Martin DB5 '64 - that will be a challenge!
Japanese Clubman 550 - Honda Civic Type R (EK) '98 - just bought one of the low-mileage ones in UCD, shall use that!
Civic One-Make - Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97 - same as above!
Gr.1 Prototype Series - Porsche 919 Hybrid

Aside from the Aston Martin, all of the above should be relatively straightforward tasks. Might look for a back-up for the Aston just in case...

Last edited:
Hate having to do this Fuji Gr.1 event more than once, it’s one of, if not the most awful offline race in the entire game... 10X FUEL 10X WEAR, HYPERSPEED LOTTO WEATHER.

TRASH TRASH TRASH
I was using the Super Formula 23 with RS tires and got the timing on the rain wrong by one lap, luckily managed to eek out a 3rd place finish for the 500k credits but it was not pretty.

I was using the Super Formula 23 with RS tires and got the timing on the rain wrong by one lap, luckily managed to eek out a 3rd place finish for the 500k credits but it was not pretty.

Haha, funny. I took out the SF23 as well. Great race, but with dry conditions there was no competition.

I did carefully watch the weather radar before the race and decided to gamble on a no-stop RH with FM6. The lightest shade of blue descended just in time for the chequered flag.

Despite the chasm in performance, I did enjoy racing the AI around a circuit I'm slowly getting the hang of. They probably would have given me a run for my money had the precipitation started.

It's actually a lot easier than you think. Take the Mazda LM55 Gr.1 and it'll beat this race with ease. Close race, but not too hard.
Went with the Ferrari VGT in the end and got it after two failures. Just feels absurd to not win it (not even top three, lol) because you pick the “wrong car” or make a mistake in connection with pitting/and or misjudging the weather somewhat. I don’t think it’s hard, my issue is that it feels scripted and you need to do it the correct way, or it won’t work, even if pace is superior. Just feels like a waste of time every time you do it and don’t succeed.

It was bugging me all week that I didn't get 1st at Catalunya even though I did some months ago. So had to reattempt and I found my perfect car. I had just liveried(almost a 2 hour job) and modded this 911(901) last night and it was a nice 6 second win over Carraza. Redemption! lol Job done for the week.
Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya GP Layout No Chicane__1 (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr

My weapons for this week's challenges:

18f178fca0232-screenshotUrl.jpg

Jimny with the engine swap.

18f178fe94d52-screenshotUrl.jpg

AMG C63 at Red Bull's home turf. If only Williams Racing is that capable in real life.

18f17910bb216-screenshotUrl.jpg

The NSX showing the AFEELA how one can truly have fun while accepting modernity.

18f179029b32-screenshotUrl.jpg

K20-swapped Civic leading an army of touring car brethren.

18f1790570082-screenshotUrl.jpg

And finally, an uncorked LM55 blitzes through the Grand Valley.

This weeks races were a bit hit and miss, few new events which was nice, but the Civic race still has no interesting opponents which is a shame. Red Bull Ring was fun because it was raining, was a shame the race was so short honestly. Didn't enjoy the Gr.1 race, hate the version of Grand Valley we have in GT7 and the cars that can actually win that race seem somewhat limited when you have to run 1:33/1:34's to win with a pit stop. Tried the Audi VGT Gr.1 and had no chance, switched to the 919 and won it first try with RM/RS, could've run RS/RS and been faster without any issues. I find it amusing that barely any PP difference between those cars means a 3 second difference in lap time. 6 star ticket gave me a second Alpine VGT, will sell it once the price goes back up.

Cars for the week:
full

Weeklies started.

1) Jimny Cup @ Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile

Took out my K14C Jimny for this one, it was a breeze just like when I did this for the Cafe Menu, which wasn't even that long ago. CRB as well.

20970826464245229.jpg

Parts ticket gave me a carbon driveshaft for the FD RX-7.

2) European FR Challenge 550 @ Red Bull Ring

Also known as the BMW Cup since all cars in the race were from said brand. Including mine since kudosprime picked for me the 1971 3.0 CSL. Tried with a stock 400pp car and of course it was miserable, had to invest quite a lot in it all the way up to 540pp, which in return gave me quite a fun race! Overtook Lopez and his M4 at the second to last corner of the final lap, it was satisfying.

20970984808323728.jpg

As I suspected, one of my given cars was going to be far too much of a hard ask for even a podium this week...

I started with the first three on my lunch break, hopping in my 400PP Jimny first. Got into first by the end of the first lap and easily held until the end, but no CRB due to some mis-calculations in a braking zone.

Second race, the European FR Challenge 550, I was tasked with taking the Aston Martin DB5 around and trying to get that legendary machine around against much more modern machinery. Needless to say, at over 100PP below the recommendation, it really struggled. I ended 11th, passing only a BMW 3.0 CSL. I really didn't want to modify the DB5, so I decided instead to use a back-up car which kudosprime selected for me: the AMG C 63. At over 650PP, this thing was the complete polar opposite and easily won by absolutely miles! Annoyingly, again down to braking miscalculations, no CRB, but at least an easy win.

Lastly I hopped in the '98 Civic Type R and attempted this one three times, each time using the winnings from the previous race to tune the car up. First run I ended 5th, some 16s behind the Afeela out front. Second time, I managed 2nd, only 3s behind this time. And then, final attempt, there was no Afeela and I managed a win by a little over 3s from the RX-7 up front.

After all that, I collected my prizes:

Carbon ceramic brakes for RS Clio '15. :banghead:
150k cash ticket.
10k from the 4 star daily workout.

Hoping the car for completing them all is more of a reward than the first run!

Credit where credit is due for PD, this Civic Special Event is awesome. It's exactly what all races in this game should be like.
Close double file, close racing, no stupid chase the rabbit. Just a solid race.

It's sad this is the exception and not the norm, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I can only hope that the future of this game has all the cars in one photo after a few corners, not 1st place 50 seconds down the track and everyone else placed 5 seconds apart.
1714144021795.png

Last edited:
Other two races done.

3) Japanese Clubman Cup 500 @ Alsace Reverse

A track I honestly never liked on a car I had never ever driven before, as kudosprime gave me the RX500 for this race. Left it stock, just put some SM tires, and tackled the race at 460pp. This was the perfect synthesis of rejecting modernity to embrace tradition, as the Rotary-powered old car overtook the super modern and technological Afeela at the last lap for a win. Gas guzzlers for the win! Also managed to score a CRB.

20970106893471706.jpg

4) Civic EK Special Event @ Suzuka

This was the perfect chance to try out my K20C-swapped '98 Civic, which I had never ever touched before today. So I found a tune on the web that brought it around the 700pp mark (694-something on RM tires) and took on the race. I have to say, I felt sorry for overpowering the competition so much since for once it was some close racing. But, this car was too much for the Touring Cars in the opposition and thus I won very easily. Fell in love with the Civic so much that I took it to LM afterwards for some money grinding, needless to say it won with ease. Fun little rocket!

20969998458112429.jpg

Only Grand Valley left, kudosprime gave me the 962C for this race but I'm struggling A LOT against an army of modern and future Gr.1 cars on such a technical track. I'll probably have to change car, maybe I'll try last week's choice (the TS050).

The game hates me. Did the Weekly races today, which yielded:

-Parts... couldn't care less.
-Marathon ticket for an engine... couldn't care less
-150k ticket... pretty low given previous weeks but I'll take it.
-Car ticket... the wheel of dispair gives me a DeLorean. WTF? I watch all these seven figure VGTs and LMPs spin around that I either don't own or I could sell for good $ but it stops on the friggen DELOREAN! Sold it for a whopping 200k. Go stub your toe, Kaz.

What a let down. Again. When does being let down just become the norm and shame on me for expecting anything different? Fool me once, shame on you; fool me a thousand times, shame on me?

Car ticket... the wheel of dispair gives me a DeLorean. WTF? I watch all these seven figure VGTs and LMPs spin around that I either don't own or I could sell for good $ but it stops on the friggen DELOREAN!
If it's any consolation, I just got the same car out of an old six-star car ticket (the first spin before the update was the IsoRevolting VGT). The Delorean is worth 585,000cr new, so it's entirely within the range of 500k to 3.64M that these tickets award.

And you can always stockpile the tickets pending an update to change the outcome like I did. Although I think WC tickets are only valid for two weeks.

Weekly race 1 :

My Jimny's still in stock form more or less ( 261 PP ) and that's how I tackled the Horse Thief Mile, the slowest road in the west. :lol: There's a N2O system mounted on the car but I didn't touch it in this race. Got into the lead at the end of lap 3 and brought it home easily including a CRB. Did I mention that I'm a huge fan of Willow Springs ?

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240426112749.jpg
Dust in the wind

Weekly race 2 :

That was a hard one tbh and it took me quite a couple of attempts, slowly increasing the car's power and improving the driver's performance in the Austrian rain. But what did I expect ? You maybe just don't take a Ferrari to a BMW party. :rolleyes:
My winning 365 GTB4 had a stock setup on SH tires for 550 PP ...

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240426193200.jpg
Will this pan out well

Hope you don't mind me go a little bit off topic and tell you, I really had a blast in that new American FR Challenge 550. I took a full stock Cobra to Trial Mountain, reduced her power massively for a final 535 PP ( which still was more than enough ) and enjoyed piloting that beast through the competition. :D Guess it would have been even greater in VR ...

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240426140935.jpg
Don't touch John Wick's car

What about a 400R for the Japanese Clubman Cup 550 ? Sounds good imo ...

Had some time this morning to run some of the weeklies and take the Chevelle out at the American 550. Last night I fired up the PS5 to get all the update stuff squared away and couldn't help but make a '70's style street machine out of the Chevelle, and attempt to modify the Afeela.

BMW M2 - Red Bull Ring

This is a fine race, but I thought it would have rained more. It began light and tapered off but I wanted a downpour and slides... oh well. The M2 is always a competent and fun little scoot, and it made quick work of the field in stock form on SH tires.

Civic Touring - Suzuka

As @Nebuc72 stated above, these Civic Touring races are always a treat. They are so different in the way the field is arranged and how the AI pilot them that it feels like a completely new game mode. Almost Sophy like. Everyone should do themselves a favor and use the stock Touring here because it makes for a super fun and close race as there aren't a bunch of variables making the race lopsided in favor of anyone. The stock car makes for some really great, door banging racing that is very hard to come by in GT7.

Every race should try to emulate these Civic events.

Afeela - Alsace

Ok, now anyone who has followed me here knows I'm a fan of good handling electric cars like the Model 3P and Taycan, but this Afeela isn't either one of those. It's like purgatory... it doesn't really do anything. It's not bad, it's not good, it doesn't oversteer, it doesn't dance around, it will barely spin a tire... it just is. It's plenty quick, but it doesn't inspire me to drive it again unless I have to.

I'm surprised that GT doesn't allow for any modification of this thing. I "bought" a few to make into varying types of car, but learned after the fact that you can't do anything to them. What a waste of an opportunity... you're not going to see many people putting any time into this car.

I figured since the performance side is what it is, I planned on making it into a "lowrider" of sorts with candy paint and overlaid designs, but you can't lower it, and the transparent layers over a metallic base just don't work in GT7. They either obscure the underlying color, or just look muddy and wrong. So I gave up... my Afeela is extra ugly, and it will probably sit in the back corner of the garage until GT7 goes dark. Regardless, here it is at Alsace.

Chevelle street machine - Trial Mountain

Now back to cars that are actually fun. I had to get a few of these Chevelles, and the first to get modified is done so in a '70s style street machine look with flames (that took an inordinate amount of time to blend right) and centerlines. I wish we could do staggered wheel fitments, white letter tires and some traction bars, but we can't have it all, haha.

In stock form the Chevelle model is a little wonky. The wheels look too small and narrow in their super bulgy tires, and they seem offset in too far. For the car I'm keeping stock I still put the American Racing version of the factory wheel on it in a 15in. and offset them out, which I think looks more befitting of how they do in the real world.

This thing handles terribly, but in a good way! I added the requisite "bolt-ons" (I/H/E, clutch, diff, suspension, brake pads, CS tires) but it still needs a bunch of tuning to make it handle well. As it is, it's looong braking zones, understeer, then tons of oversteer, which makes for a pretty good time actually. It is still a 3-speed for the moment, but it worked well enough to take the win here, and looks amazing doing so. Lot's of useless sliding in this one!

I did the Jimny race this morning too, but forgot to record it. It was another fun one, but you're not missing much!

Well here we go with this week's weapons:
Jimny as soft as always. Won by half a tick
Willow Springs International Raceway_ Horse Thief Mile_ by 2cam16, on Flickr
Used my Batmobile on SS for RR. That was a toughie and only won by 2 secs.
Red Bull Ring_ (5) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Not a fan of Alsace reverse, I'd rather do normal, but took my 599pp Evo V and easy win.
Alsace - Village Reverse_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
What can I say about a Spec Civic race? That was awesome and hand sweating! Used my trusty PIAA TC on SS. I overtook our other favorite driver,Carrazza, halfway through lap 4 but he kept on fighting back and I knew he'd make a last ditch in the last few turns. I had the advantage in the chicanes but he dove so there....lol I may do this one again just for kicks.
Suzuka Circuit__1 (4) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Suzuka Circuit_ (5) by 2cam16, on Flickr
May or may not do GV.

Back