Weekly Challenge!

• Thread starter gtmaster08
  • 56 comments
Qualification in [size=+1]GT1[/size] is artificial. There's a goal time in a table for each race which is used for some sort of randomized calculation. The field's times usually very close together, so it tends to either be easy or difficult to qualify first, but somewhat unlikely you'll qualify better than 6th but not 1st. Once you're into [size=+1]GT1[/size] nearly all races will be too easy if you can qualify first. Often some of the times shown for qualifying are unrealistic for the car achieving them. The Civic in the Hard-Tuned Series, for instance.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-11-14.html

Last night I finally managed to beat the NSX with the Griffith 4.0 at the Autumn Ring Mini race of the Normal Series. (Yay!) So it seems to take me about four or five hours to get back close to [size=+1]GT1[/size] form, after an absence.

Be that as it may, I still think GT1 had the best qualifying runs of any GT game, because they were so intense. They were so "do or die". :scared: It wasn't like you sat there doing lap after lap till you finally beat the Ai, it's more like either you qualify and make pole position (in 1 lap and 1 lap ONLY) or you don't. :nervous:

...good old palm sweatin stuff there.

Last edited:
i shall try, as i just picked up a black-case copy of GT1 and i need to get a FR car anyway, but i have a question, is the blackbox rare? i think i will try with the 180SX Type X

Yeah you can go from hero to zero with just a small mistake in GT1 quali. 1 lap to put together a perfect one...

Hey there! It's gtmaster again with your challenge! So here we go, enjoy.:)

1. Beat the "Grand Valley 300km" race in the top 3.
2. Lap the 3rd & 2nd place cars at least 4 times in the race!
3. Car must be one of the "Fully Tuneable" cars (Supra RZ [new], Nissan Skyline [4WD of any year], or the Mitsubishi GTO Twinturbo [new])
4. The car also must be a Sports car. (No RM allowed)

Good Luck!👍

Did anyone actually do the Clubman Cup one?

To lap the 2nd place car 4 times you need to be about 400 seconds, i.e 6:40 faster than them.

According to me records, AI cars like the Impreza and Primera finish (if you wait for them :D) in about 1-43:50. So you want a field headed by an Impreza or Primera, and then about 1-37:00 might mean you've lapped 4 times. If you go against a strong field which manages about 1-42:00 (e.g. NSX or GTO), you'd need about 1-35:00 or so.

That would be pretty fast without race modification. Yup. When I won with a tuned GTO'95MR, my fastest lap wasn't even below 1:35.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-10-04.html

Even with race-mod, 4 times lapping was all that I achieved.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2001-09-16.html

(Strong field though).

I actually did 2 races with the Mazda's and was unimpressed with both the cars I drove. I messed with the tuning and gearing alot trying to reduce the front wheel pull, yet never could get rid of it. I think my times are terrible. The setup left an underpowered yet over-kitted car and that led to my issues with the front-end pull. I strayed from this challenge to tie up some loose ends I built up in my game. I just won hard-tuned with the '95 WG stiII. Then I got smoked in the megaspeed with it and finally made it RM. I have also started working an EvoIV thru my series. Has anyone ever won the normal with it? I got 3rd last night, yet was pretty damn tired towards the end with trial mountain and ssr11. I actually beat the NSX on Autumn Ring and proceeded to blow my 2nd place in the last 2 stages above. That TRD came on late and tore me apart. I actually got beat by the mazda at ssr11. I am also finishing up my series with the TRD. It is super hard to control with full hp. I can win high speed and have been time trialing with variations of turbine stages and levels. I am close, yet was wondering if anyone has experience tuning the TRD? I'll also try the new challenge when I can. Thanks MasterGT! Here's my times:

RX-7 FD'91 Type R
1:21:672(1) 1:21:138-1:14:557=2:35:495(1)
57:321(2) 56:772-50:746=1:47:518(1)
1:30:977(1) 1:34:454-1:26:768(1)

FDRX7-RB
1:21:150(1) 1:19:920-1:17:011=2:36:931(1)
57:188(1) 57:496-51:410=1:48:906(1)
1:32:314(1) 1:31:737-1:29:118=3:00:855(1) Sweep

I am curious to see if I can win it with the other used Mazda's, I think I have the one that says Savanna on it...the FCIII I think. I also have yet to use the touring edition. I will chalk that up too. Off to my nightly racing. One

Hmm....The key to the new challenge would be to drive fast while conserving the tires at the same time. Not easy, considering no RMs allowed and the Skyline/Supra/GTO fully-tuned handles like a pig without downforce.

To 2thDr: Yes I've driven the TRD3000GT fully-tuned quite a few times. It's not that hard to drive, just don't be too throttle-happy. I think the GT2's TRD3000GT is harder to control than the GT1's.

My skillz right now seem to be at A-license, pre-IA level.

Last night I went through all license tests, getting bronze on most in 1 try, except...
B-8; a little over first try; gear higher on last corner for 2nd try and I was almost 2 seconds under.
A-3; GV; took a few runs to remember that one.
Surprisingly I squeaked by A-4 (Trial Mountain Skyline) on the first run.
A-6; DFRW stretch; took two tries

Some would have been silver runs, but didn't show as such the way [size=+1]GT1[/size] works. (One actually got on the game's history).

IA-1 was done in one or two runs.
Then I mistakenly started IA-2 instead of IA-3, but persisted, and could not get better than about .500 seconds over. Usually more like 2 seconds over. So I called it quits after that.

But I thought of a possible challenge.

Get below the bronze (pass) time for IA-2 when finishing in the Pit Lane.
See whether-or-not you get awarded a bronze medal in that case.

I.e. after the last corner of IA-2 (SSR5), hang left, and go under the bridge, then let the game autodrive you past the finish line. Obviously, I didn't have the time to spare when I goofed off and did that. I think I failed just on time. But it's possible you will fail because the game rams you into the wall trying to get to the finishing spot. Also it might not be humanly possible to have enough time in reserve to make up for the slow autodrive. Though I think it's only about a 3 second margin you need.

That's quite a challenge there, I'll try and see what I can do. Does the Griffith always rams into the wall to get to the finish line?

It's the Viper in IA-2. Hmm. Could do the same thing in IA-7 (SSR11) with the Griffith, or IA-3 (GV) with the Griffith. I'm not sure which might have best timing.

:dunce: I forget that it's a Viper :dunce: I'm thinking of the SSR11 test with Griffith. Sorry.

Which has the best timing? I think it depends on which track has the shortest pit lane entry, in this case it's the Viper test (but I might be wrong).

Sorry for double posting, because the edit function doesn't allow me to upload images by imageshack.

Here's my times for your challenge SW.

Viper in SSR5:

Griffith in GVS:

Griffith in SSR11:

It's not that hard actually, I got all of the times in my first attempt.

In theory yes, but in practice not always. Because in GT1 the gold time depends on your previous record. My time is almost always (99% of the time) better than the default gold time, but not always better than my previous best time. It's becoming harder and harder for me to better my previous time, because you can't get faster and faster all the time, it's just impossible, you'll reach your limit one day, and I think I'm close to hitting mine.

I like the GT2 system better, the gold times are fixed no matter how much faster your records are. Hence you can always come back and "get" the gold trophy.

Oh yeah, right. I forgot that. Anyway, it seemed to me that a default gold time might be good enough to got bronze in the pit lane, but I couldn't verify it myself. :D

P.S. FWIW, I seemed to be able to edit one of your imageshack URLs into this post. (I have since removed it).

Hello fellow gtplanet fans! I am GTmaster, and here is your new challenge!

1. Beat the FF or FR event along with the Lightweight event in the top 3.
2. The parts allowed here is performance only with ONE hp part included!
3. The car must either be a RM car or have all 3 stages of weight reduction.
4. Once in first place during a race, you must not fall behind in a race, NOT ONCE!

Good luck to you all!👍

I might be able to manage that one, actually. Except perhaps for the "never drop back" part (although, in general, you can usually stay ahead if you can get ahead; a sneaky strategy might be to hang in second place until close to the finish).

But I'm getting out of video games for the summer. And (as repeated numerous times in this thread), after playing Alfa Romeo : Racing Italiano for a couple of months, I found my [size=+1]GT1[/size] skillz weren't what I expected them to be, and I had trouble getting them back. (And they never were really great; I got gold medals, but could never reliably get them). Actually, it's now not clear to me my skillz hadn't just been deteriorating in general over the last couple of years.

So, are all these challenges things you yourself have accomplished? Hmmm?

I just picked the civic 3 door Si and swept the ai. All performance upgrades, RM and stage 1 turbo. Practiced a little on autumn ring of lw series to get specs right and tune some, then had to change gear ratios a little later with some high speed 4th and 5th gear issues, almost got passed, yet ai hit my bumper on deepforest. After that smooth sailing. I have times recorded if needed. I still need to try the other challenges recently posted, i have been working on my Galant VR4 (one of my favorites) and the JZA70 Supra. I also have been screwing around with the arcade mode and I think the last on my evo4 thru my created sunday to hard tuned series. I will hopefully get some time at those license tests, that should be a challenge. One.

For the new challenge, how about trying it with a Demio :D? That should make it more challenging.

P.S. FWIW, I seemed to be able to edit one of your imageshack URLs into this post. (I have since removed it).

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I can't host a new image through the edit function. The option to upload images by imageshack is not there. If I already had the URL link I'll use the edit button no problem.

Maybe a suggestion for future versions of GTP: add the option to upload images by imageshack in the edit interface.

Well fans, it's that time again! Yes indeed, it's time for the new challenge!

1. Beat the Hard Tuned event in 1st place for every track and get in 1st for each qualifying round as well!
2. The car must be from either TVR or Aston Martin!
3. You can't fall behind in place at all!

Good luck!;)

I have been running the FF/FR + LW challenge with the demio, I can win with the correct specs and stipulations on all but clubman, I keep getting passed on the stretch from the tight turn after the tunnel to the turn at the top of the incline, the lack of power and torque keep the demio at a low constant speed during those stretches. I had to buy a GLX model, b/c I had previously kitted my Aspec from Sunday cup with other engine parts that cannot be stripped away. I won one last night, yet I had 100 cars already, so I still want to try this challenge with continuing mods on the other demios and with a new aspec. I think it is doable....

I just tried the license-pit lane challenge last night after I won GT Cup w/ my Celica GT4. IA3 was the hardest, both others took me one try. IA3 must have been 7-9 tries due to relearning the normal griffith's drive characteristics and that skinny pit lane....it was hard to come around that corner at high speed and stay on the track.

IA2- 1:29:932
IA3- 2:00:399
IA7- 2:09:355

Better late than never.

Well done 👍. You beat me on SSR11 :)

Yeah the GVS pit entry is especially tricky, it's got grass on either side and it's in the shape of a chicane, I almost messed it up when I did it, but hang on just fine thanks to the rather high kerbs (I hold the gas and bounced off the kerbs just before spinning out).

Hello everyone, it's been a LONG while since I put up a challenge. Anyway, here's one that's brand new!

1. Be clever with your car! Keep your speed above 45mph in every turn!
2. Do this in either arcade or simulation mode.
3. Do parts 1 and 2 using any FF car from Honda/Acura on the Trial Mountain course!
4. In the event that you give a simulation mode time, then the car must be a used car.

Good luck, and may the force be with you all...

Latest Posts

Back