Weekly Practice Community Race

United States
Los Angeles, CA
Commie_Phil
This thread was originally to start practicing with different combinations of cars, tracks, and tires that we thought were potential stipulations for the finals in Orlando. There used to be rules and guidelines in this first thread. We stuck to them for 2 or 3 laps the first night when we practiced with the GT-R.

Then we realized, we really like racing together and joking around. A lot of GT online races out there can be really stuffy and uptight. We'll do some races with a serious bent, where people apologize for bumping and do their best not to mow lawns. Then we do whatever we want, and laugh a lot in the process.

You'll recognize a good ratio of the people on this thread from their names near the top of GT Academy round 1 (my name is not one of them), so there's certainly competition and experience in here, and they are all very open and willing to give tips and help coach (except for GTP_Potatochip, who drives around the track mic-less like silent death, toying with whoever thinks they might win a race until he decides to STRIKE!).

It's a good place to start for people that want that coaching from top guys in a really laid back environment, or people looking to just screw around and find fun people to race with. This has also spun off into a social thread JOHN DEERE, maybe with the intent to maintain the "integrity" of this original thread. Well now the first post is edited, and the integrity of this thread is whatever the mob wants it to be :)

Last edited:
I would be willing to join.

Mondays @ 10 sounds fine.

2 or 3 shorter heats of 15-20 minutes sounds good. If someone goes flying off in T1 and gets down by 10s, they shouldn't have to wait 45 minutes until they get another chance to get into the mix.

I would definitely join in. I agree with blindside tho, shorter heats would be good. Just a few ideas:
The GtAcademy GTR won by golding the S-licenses would be a good car to add as well.
Qualifying laps and some freerun time to familiarize yourself with the track would be great. (Don't know how this will be handled in orlando)

I would definitely join in. I agree with blindside tho, shorter heats would be good. Just a few ideas:
The GtAcademy GTR won by golding the S-licenses would be a good car to add as well.
Qualifying laps and some freerun time to familiarize yourself with the track would be great. (Don't know how this will be handled in orlando)

+1.

I know we want to make it accessible for everyone, but it's not unreasonable to require that particular vehicle since most competitors who have a shot at Orlando likely have gold on their s-license.

I also don't know how it'll be held in Orlando, but yeah the idea was to open up the lobby for a half hour of free run/qualifying times before the race start (so lobby would open at 9:30pm EST).

As far as the GT Academy GT-R, I don't have any issue with adding it to the car pool, I have it as well. I haven't investigated this and maybe someone can correct me, but I thought it was just a regular '09 GT-R V-Spec II with GTAcademy livery, I didn't think anything about the actual car was different from the one you can buy in the dealership. If it's different, than sure, let's include it

Oh I have no clue man. I don't intend to buy a spec II tho...So if it is the same I'd be running my GTacademy version :D
I just reread your first post and sorry I missed the freerun part. Hopefully we can entice certain people who have answered every post in this forum besides this one to join up :)
:odd: lookin at you choate, hunk, fix, r16, and kris :odd:

I could see doing this, i'd love to race against everybody head to head as I don't get to put as much time into the TT as I would like.

If I'm online and get invited I will join! Tonight I will be playing the game one way or another.

I think I saw on another thread that you're at your PSN friends maximum. Do some house cleaning :) and add me and I'll keep an eye out for you Monday when I open up the lobby

Choate's on my friend list so he can just follow me in, I'll let him know. We had some fun with the fiat 500 68 a couple of weeks ago :D

I'll add you tonight when I get home Chandler.

Sounds great to me. TRC_Hunk and Choate both have me as friends on psn(redreevos). I am only at 44 for the west though, so I'm not sure if you guys want my lower skill level. I am a bit new at this.

Looks like we have a enough people for round 1.

What car/track combination are we going to use? I would vote a new track (like Nurburgring GP) with the bread and butter Nissan (stock z34 370z, comfort soft tires). Since I'm terrible at Nurburgring GP, this would be a good learning opportunity.

Looks like we have a enough people for round 1.

What car/track combination are we going to use? I would vote a new track (like Nurburgring GP) with the bread and butter Nissan (stock z34 370z, comfort soft tires). Since I'm terrible at Nurburgring GP, this would be a good learning opportunity.

I am fine with whatever is chosen. I could just use the seat time. I would assume most of you have a much better idea of the possible tracks and cars that we will see in the future rounds.

I'd like to see tokyo in a GTR personally. Or some other city course. I'd think we would run on sport tires for that because the IRL tires are a bit nicer.
I'd be happy with the z34 on the nurb gp as well. IMO we probably shouldn't use too long a track so the field doesnt get too spread out.
Oh and since neither of those cars are in the recommended cars (I think) make sure you do an oil change after you buy it.

I am fine with whatever is chosen. I could just use the seat time. I would assume most of you have a much better idea of the possible tracks and cars that we will see in the future rounds.

You're giving us alot more credit than we deserve there :D I don't think anyone could have guessed the setups we have had to run in round 1 :D Except maybe tsukuba...

I'd like to see tokyo in a GTR personally. Or some other city course. I'd think we would run on sport tires for that because the IRL tires are a bit nicer.
I'd be happy with the z34 on the nurb gp as well. IMO we probably shouldn't use too long a track so the field doesnt get too spread out.
Oh and since neither of those cars are in the recommended cars (I think) make sure you do an oil change after you buy it.

What do you mean "recommended cars"?

What do you mean "recommended cars"?

The cars that are in your online garage. Like the zonda and nascar stuff it's the tab beside your "favorites". If the car is one of those you can restrict all racers to using the same exact car, no mods etc. But I know the 370z isn't in there cuz I tried to practice with choate with it and we both had to buy it (and do the oil change to make it like the one in the academy).

The cars that are in your online garage. Like the zonda and nascar stuff it's the tab beside your "favorites". If the car is one of those you can restrict all racers to using the same exact car, no mods etc. But I know the 370z isn't in there cuz I tried to practice with choate with it and we both had to buy it (and do the oil change to make it like the one in the academy).

Ah I'd never seen that before, I just started a dummy lounge and clicked the garage icon. Am I mistaken, or does this list look a lot like the list of Arcade cars?

If you choose the 370z or another Nissan that's not in the default arcade list of cars, we'll have to use the honor system that no one has extra meat under the hood as they will be showing up in their own car.

Cheat, and people will know - the moderator can always kick out the guy who has the stage 3 turbo or racing soft tires.

If you choose the 370z or another Nissan that's not in the default arcade list of cars, we'll have to use the honor system that no one has extra meat under the hood as they will be showing up in their own car.

Cheat, and people will know - the moderator can always kick out the guy who has the stage 3 turbo or racing soft tires.

I don't care if someone does. There's no prize for winning these weekly races, so it would just be sort of a sad, sad person that tries to cheat us for a "win". I figure people in our community race care more about learning to drive better than winning. My whole plan was to lure Choate in here so that when he passes me, I get myself a lead-follow session with one of the top contenders! MWA HA HA HA!

Agreed, however, you can still restrict the tires so make sure you say the tire restriction ahead of time so people can make sure they have the right ones. Unfortunately it wouldn't be very obvious if someone just had an air filter or suspension upgrades so please be honest everyone :D

Agreed, however, you can still restrict the tires so make sure you say the tire restriction ahead of time so people can make sure they have the right ones. Unfortunately it wouldn't be very obvious if someone just had an air filter or suspension upgrades so please be honest everyone :D

That's good that you can restrict tires. It's probably harder to drive a 500hp 370z with comfort tires than the stock 332hp - as long as people don't lighten the cars, parity shouldn't be an issue.

The host can set hp and weight restrictions, honor is only needed for suspension and drivetrain.

No problem, dude! I'll be down for some races, Nurb on comfort softs sounds interesting to me, but I'll join any race though.

RACE FOR MONDAY JAN 10TH
Track: Nurb. GP
Car: Nissan GT-R '07; this car is avail in the arcade/"recommended" car list, so even if you already own it, we will all use the one from the recommended list, that way we don't have to worry about oil changes, break-in, etc.
Tires: Sport Hard

We will run a first heat of 5 laps, see how it goes since this is the first time. Depending on how fast/slow that is, and how spread out the field gets, we will make a game-time decision of how many laps and more heats to do. My general plan is three 5-lap heats, with around 5-8 minutes of free lapping between each heat

If you haven't yet, add "Commie_Phil" on PSN so I can msg you/you can join my lobby Monday. I'll make sure to open it up by 9:30pm EST. Feel free to msg me on here or on PSN if you have any questions. Looking forward to a fun session!

Latest Posts

Back