Welcome to GTP16: Dark Mode, Emojis, Reactions, Bookmarks, and So Much More...

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 356 comments
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm liking the new site. Once you get used to the changes it's very clean and a nice layout, just looks right. If it was a car it would be an e38 740i. :cheers:

Edit: Or a Jaguar XJ40 😉
This is why it was most likely delayed.
Jordan wanted it to be clean.

Also like the new site. If there was one thing I could change it´s that articles now have comment sections that are separate from the forum.

Honestly think this is a bad move since it means potentially interesting discussion could get lost in a comment section that on a heavy news day (like yesterday) can leave the front page really quickly.

Lots of updates and minor bug fixes rolled out today, most of which won't be documented, but here are a few highlights...
  • Conversation search now available
  • Technical update: fixed schema markup on articles
  • Core software updates: dozens of technical bug fixes and minor updates
  • Dark mode: fixed text colors and background hover color on profile warnings
  • Dark mode: fixed colors of review summary boxes on news articles
  • Dark mode: fixed colors of global site search for articles/home page
  • Dark mode: fixed button colors on members overview page

Very rarely (Twice since the update) I've seen the quote message appear in red initially. Like this:

rederror.jpg

It seems to be defaulting to the rule in the default forum CSS file at that point

But a simple refresh then loads the xf.css file correctly and it's shown in the correct colours.

Very rarely (Twice since the update) I've seen the quote message appear in red initially. Like this:

View attachment 1067541

It seems to be defaulting to the rule in the default forum CSS file at that point

But a simple refresh then loads the xf.css file correctly and it's shown in the correct colours.
Is there a specific set of steps you can do to consistently reproduce this?

Is there a specific set of steps you can do to consistently reproduce this?
Has happened often for me. The only thing I can guess as to a set of steps is to quote something and reply. After the initial click of "Post reply" is when I see it. (Chrome on mobile, latest build.)

I assumed it was it was a feature that I didn't quite know the reason behind, lol.

Notes that may help. 👇

The message quoted in the example above was at the top of the page. The quoted person was the OP.

Last edited:
Has happened often for me. The only thing I can guess as to a set of steps is to quote something and reply. After the initial click of "Post reply" is when I see it. (Chrome on mobile, latest build.)

I assumed it was it was a feature that I didn't quite know the reason behind, lol.

Notes that may help. 👇

The message quoted in the example above was at the top of the page. The quoted person was the OP.
Thanks, yeah, I see it now. It'll be fixed in the next update.

I...actually kind of like that. I've inadvertently quoted an individual through the multiquote function in the past and the red draws my eye to that which I've quoted. It's not absolutely necessary and I'd be okay with it going away, but it's kinda nice.

The links to view all subscribed / followed / watched threads in the box displayed at the forum home page have been fixed.
Is the list of unread watched threads still available?

In the list of watched threads, unread thread titles appear in a bolder text. As far as I can see, scrolling is required to locate and identify those threads manually.

Is the list of unread watched threads still available?

In the list of watched threads, unread thread titles appear in a bolder text. As far as I can see, scrolling is required to locate and identify those threads manually.
It works differently by default now but this can still be achieved with the filters on the New Posts page. You would check both the "Unread threads" and "Followed content" fields and you can save those filters as the default using the bottom option:

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.14.18 PM.png

Just now, with Firefox 78.10.0: thread had a message with a message below it quoting parts of it. But the vertical space reserved for the first was insufficient, which in practice meant that it wasn't readable, as the lower message was blocking it. Reloading the page a few minutes later showed it correctly. In either case I did not stop the page from loading.

I know a lot of you are missing our old smilies, so I've started a new effort to bring them back better than before: "Project S.O.S. — Save Our Smilies". Check it out, I'd love for as many people as possible to contribute. :D

Today's updates:
Just now, with Firefox 78.10.0: thread had a message with a message below it quoting parts of it. But the vertical space reserved for the first was insufficient, which in practice meant that it wasn't readable, as the lower message was blocking it. Reloading the page a few minutes later showed it correctly. In either case I did not stop the page from loading.
I'm not sure I understand. Can you provide a screenshot or, better yet, a clear set of steps that reproduce this issue?

The updated classic smileys look...rounder?

:)
:cheers:

I gather that's deliberate.
Yes, Jordan is in the process of updating the older ones to look smoother. He created a thread where you can chime in too if you have SVG editing skills.

Last edited:
Yes, Jordan is in the process of updating the older ones to look smoother. He created a thread where you can chime in too if you have SVG editing skills.
I have precious few skills and that's not among them.

😩

The updated classic smileys look...rounder?

:)
:cheers:

I gather that's deliberate.
If you have a non-100% page zoom in your browser, it might affect the "roundness" in unexpected ways, which is one of my big concerns with using SVG smilies. They are both perfect circles.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you provide a screenshot or, better yet, a clear set of steps that reproduce this issue?
I considered taking one, but I thought it's a simple "gray rectangle over white rectangle" situation, visually. I'm thinking it's a race condition, so the steps might be very arcane.

Another one.
Thanks for the screenshot, but I don't know what would cause that.

My first suggestion would be to update Firefox. You're on version 78.10.0 and the latest is 90.0.

Curious as to how the 'similar threads' box is populated at the bottom of each page. For example, this is what I see right now at the bottom of the Coronavirus thread:
1626894868980.png

Three very irrelevant, very old threads. Maybe some tweaking is needed on the parameters...

A big new update for Android users today, along with a few fixes and tweaks:
  • Mobile push notifications are now available for forum alerts
  • The "new" text to indicate an unread post has been relocated next to the timestamp again
  • Link previews (or "URL unfurling") for links to GTPlanet's own pages were previously not working; this has been corrected
  • 23 of our classic smilies have been updated as SVG graphics by our community and added back into our collection so far — click here to get involved and help out if you have not already so we can finish updating the rest of them. :D

It works differently by default now but this can still be achieved with the filters on the New Posts page. You would check both the "Unread threads" and "Followed content" fields and you can save those filters as the default using the bottom option:

View attachment 1067750
After following those steps, I'm seeing threads that I'm not following.
I've added green ticks to threads I'm following and red crosses to those that shouldn't be there.
Screenshot_20210722-070313~3.png

One feature I use with some regularity is the function to pull up a list of the threads (or posts) a user created. I've already found it (har, har, as readers will see in a moment) in GTP16 after spending some time wondering where it went, but it may be worth suggesting making them easier to find (lol)...?

For anyone still wondering what happened to those links, here they are. Maybe the dropdown label should say "Content" instead? Just a suggestion:

Screenshot from 2021-07-22 22-43-43.png

When I use the
quote.jpg
I have to change the BB code to be able to write a text outside the quotation box. Am I doing something wrong?

When I click on a link in a message it no longer opens in a new window. Is that intentional? I kinda preferred the new window.

Last edited:
When I use the View attachment 1070568 I have to change the BB code to be able to write a text outside the quotation box. Am I doing something wrong?
I’m not sure I understand, can you explain this in another way?

When I click on a link in a message it no longer opens in a new window. Is that intentional? I kinda preferred the new window.
Links to GTPlanet will open in the same window/tab, links to other sites will open in a new window/tab.

When I use the View attachment 1070568 I have to change the BB code to be able to write a text outside the quotation box. Am I doing something wrong?
I think this refers to the way the quote box renders during post composition. It used to be that one could simply click on either side of the BBCode-defined quote box to write text not contained within the quote box.

I think.

I've found that using the line break key at the head of quoted text breaks out of the quote box so that you can type before it and using the line break key at the tail of quoted text breaks out of the quote box so that you can type after.

However, I've run into complications wherein I've inadvertently created a second quote box or quoted text separates into more than one quote box, and I have yet to figure out how to merge them into a single box, where this was a simple matter of deleting BBCode commands prior to the update.

I'm not a computer guy, so I hope terms I've used suffice.

The cursor stayed in the quote box. I had to toggle the BB Code to get the cursor out of the quote box.

So, when I write a text and I use the
quote.jpg
(quote) to put the text in a quote box, I can't get the cursor out of the quote box without having to toggle the BB code. It is only then that I can write something below the quote box.

This is not the case when I use the Naamloos.jpg button.

Last edited:
Back