Well I need help now too.. Pretty specific...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Picc84
  • 31 comments
  • 3,482 views
Messages
1,151
Messages
AmuseR1
Aparently, I need help choosing a car... But I'm REALLY cluless, not one car in mind... My Father is rather strict on my first car, but my second I can have whatever my heart can afford... But I really want a nice first car, something I can really play with... So heres what I NEED...

Auto
CAR
Cheap... under 4 thousand... Perfect would be under 3... but thats REALLY hard to find for me.. lol
Something I can play with, where i don't have to order special parts custom made in Australia's Outback via tribsmen... Something I can go to my local Autostore, and maybe find something for... I also want the quickest thing on 4 wheels for my price.. I've been looking at honda's with the Vtec, but even a 98 w/ 100k on it, is like, 4-6k...
 
In the land down under?

How hard would it be to get ahold of a decently-equipped Commodore or Falcon? I'm sure those would be very easy to come by...
 
In the land down under?

How hard would it be to get ahold of a decently-equipped Commodore or Falcon? I'm sure those would be very easy to come by...

Super easy, parts will never ever be a problem for me.
 
In the land down under?

How hard would it be to get ahold of a decently-equipped Commodore or Falcon? I'm sure those would be very easy to come by...

Isn't 'NEPA' in his location a reference to 'Northeastern Pennsylvania?'

Let's recommend DSMs.
 
I have no idea. He seems to like German cars, so I'd point to the MKIII Jetta VR6 as well. Spotty reliability, but certainly fast for the price.
 
I hear Capris and Escorts are popular down under.
They would likely meet your price point and have plenty of room for fiddling with.
 
I think we need to find out where he lives.

My vote is for a MK2 VW GTI 16valve. Super fun car. Tons of aftermarket. Its perfect for a first car. Id like to buy another one because it was so fun. Its not the "quickest" car you can buy but they can get pretty fast if you want.
$3-4k should get you into a pretty nice one too.



mk2city.jpg
 
The MKII GTI and GLI are excellent cars, and if you can find one in good shape, will be a bloody great drive! As I recall, they are rather reliable, albeit with many of the standard VW quirks.

...Wanna be a tricky bastard?



I love the Corrado, I'm just not a huge fan of the G60. They're becoming slightly collectible, so this would be the time to get one...
 
I'll edit my first post, I like in AS M5 power said, North Eastern Pennsylvania...

That GTI looks amazing... I'd LOVE that car... I'm going to be putting togeather a list of car's for myself to look out for, I've added that ;)

Also the Jetta, The only problem I have with it, is how do I know what versian it is?
 
I'll edit my first post, I like in AS M5 power said, North Eastern Pennsylvania...

That GTI looks amazing... I'd LOVE that car... I'm going to be putting togeather a list of car's for myself to look out for, I've added that ;)

Also the Jetta, The only problem I have with it, is how do I know what versian it is?


What do you mean version? As in chassis (MK1,MK2 etc?)
 
Yes, He mentions the MKIII, and I do not know how to tell the diffrence at a dealership...
 
You better not find it at the dealership. Too old.These cars will be best found through private party sales, purchased from someone who took care of them.
You cant go far with $4k at a dealership.

If you want to find solid vw's go to a forum (vwvortex) and look through the clasifieds to see if there is something that fits the bill. You can get a clean one for the money you are willing to spend. Just make sure they have had a good owner. Seeing as you get snow, make sure its door seals are good and that its not a rust bucket.
 
Yes, He mentions the MKIII, and I do not know how to tell the diffrence at a dealership...

This is an MKIII:

jetta_01.jpg


Great little cars, usually pretty reliable. I found out after my transmission died that it seems to be a fairly common issue with the car. Have a mechanic give it a look, see what kind of shape it was in. If my transmission wouldn't have gone out I was told mine would have lasted (easily) to 240,000 miles.
 
Awesome, But I'm not sure how to tell the diffrence between a MKIII or an MKII, MKI, etc...

VW Is probally where i'm looking, MOstly for a Golf in my Price range, I'd rather a Golf than a Jetta, but Jetta's are more commen...
 
Anything before this and you'll be fine:

2000golf_mexico.jpg


Avoid early MKIV models at all cost!
 
Oh allright, everythings kinda easier when you have a description and pictures ;) Thanks guys!
 
Well, I'm refining my searches to a much broder range, say 8 thousand, and lets go manual tranny this time, what do you guys think? I'm thinking Civic, but around here, everyone seems to be selling their civic's for integra's...

But how pissed off would you be if... Your friend own's a 97' civic 2dr with a B16 engine, stage 2 turbo, intake kit, exhaust upgrade (makes it loud as hell) nice blowoff valve, and a bunch of small parts.... But won't sell it to you cause he doesent wanna see it again... i'm so mad....

But yeah, so more help from the more expirenced please?
 
Eh, you could get a much newer Civic for 8 grand. You could probably get a nice RSX for that kind of cash.
 


The A/C is colder than a mug.
 
Be "unique" and choose something other than a Civic. Please.

I think you'd be happier with a Celica or a Sentra, but not a Civic.

Do you really want to be "different?"

...Try a Tiburon GT. They're actually pretty nice cars...
 
If you can afford a later Tiburon that'd be nice. What about 4cyl Calibras, what are they like? I understand in Euro they have quite a large fan base.
 
er.. I washed co-workers calibra yesterday and side repeater/blinker fell off. guaranteed GM quality, thus, avoid those.
 
Some friend you are, prying blinkers off your mate's car :p
 
And Calibras are...uh, Zil, in Pennsylvania, because, damn it all, they didn't sell them here.
 
Be "unique" and choose something other than a Civic. Please.

I think you'd be happier with a Celica or a Sentra, but not a Civic.

Do you really want to be "different?"

...Try a Tiburon GT. They're actually pretty nice cars...

I wouldent mind being diffrent, I just don't know how! Lol, I was thinking Cilica, I'm just afraid their gunna get huge fast soon, because i see allot of people selling their civic's for celca's... Sentra's? Are they even quick?! lol I really did not think they were quick...at...all... lol

But seriously, thanks for every peice of advice you guys can give me...
 
The Sentra SE-R Spec-V was one of the fastest cars in the class back in the day, fairly bullet-proof as I recall. Not sure what the resale is on one, but you could get an old 200SX SE-R and do just fine too.

If you can stretch your dollar a bit more, the Ford Focus SVT is right inside your reach as well.
 
Go and look at the Hyundai Tiburons, seriously.
 
Not really kicking the American Motors type stuff... I'm more of an oversee's driver...lol

I'll definatly look into the Sentra!
 
Ford Focus = British

The Americans had nothing to do with the car other than being owned by an American company. The SVT model, as I recall, was essentially the same as the UK-market ST*somethingsomething* model.
 
Back