Well, I Was Just Side-Swiped...

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 84 comments
  • 5,534 views
Then some moron scrapes the whole side of the car...needless to say their car wasn't in too good of shape when they found it. *cough* Did I say that outloud?

:lol: What kind of car was it?
 
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out well and resolved quickly.

On the lighter side... GTP's resident chevy freak doesn't drive a chevy?! :lol:
 
DWA
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out well and resolved quickly.

On the lighter side... GTP's resident chevy freak doesn't drive a chevy?! :lol:

You forget that he's also a VW freak.
 
uh, yeah. that's what I just said.
 
Doh!
That is what happens when you leave the computer and then come back while on the reply screen.
 
DWA
On the lighter side... GTP's resident chevy freak doesn't drive a chevy?! :lol:

It's ridiculous. Every time GM comes up he defends them to their death. He'd give General Motors the benefit of the doubt if their finger prints were on the murder weapon. But the second the topic turns to his next car, he's talking Passat.

Just one of the reasons why we love him so.
 
It's ridiculous. Every time GM comes up he defends them to their death. He'd give General Motors the benefit of the doubt if their finger prints were on the murder weapon. But the second the topic turns to his next car, he's talking Passat.

Just one of the reasons why we love him so.

Heart may say Chevy but his brain says German. He's definately on my good people list. ;)

:lol: What kind of car was it?

It was a Mazda 626 if memory serves correctly.
 
DWA
On the lighter side... GTP's resident chevy freak doesn't drive a chevy?!

Surprise! I'm the only person besides my brother in my immediate family that doesn't own a GM vehicle.

Jim Prower
You forget that he's also a VW freak.

And I'm damn-proud of it! If it weren't for my father buying me that Fox all those years ago, I never would have been able to appreciate the small-displacement, chassis-based performance of the various small cars. My only problem is, I get a bit snobby in the whole Golf/Civic ordeal...

M5Power
It's ridiculous. Every time GM comes up he defends them to their death. He'd give General Motors the benefit of the doubt if their finger prints were on the murder weapon. But the second the topic turns to his next car, he's talking Passat.

Just one of the reasons why we love him so.

I love the General, what can I say? My family has been driving them near constantly since 1960/1962 (depends on if you count Grandpa or Grandma's car), so its in my blood to say the least.

Only problem is, I'm smart enough to realize that the only really, truly good GM products have come out in the past few years, so with what money I have, I have to be picky, and it leaves me with Volkswagens. Maybe a Mazda. Mostly Volkswagens.

...Although, I'm still working on finding my Camaro that I've always wanted, I just have to find it first...

Plus, who doesn't love your quasi-Toyota/VAG/(insert offbeat model here) fettish?

JCE3000GT
Heart may say Chevy but his brain says German. He's definately on my good people list.

Its a pretty good summation of how I feel these days. The more Opel-derived products we get at GMNA, the better I feel about buying more of their vehicles...
 
It's ridiculous. Every time GM comes up he defends them to their death. He'd give General Motors the benefit of the doubt if their finger prints were on the murder weapon. But the second the topic turns to his next car, he's talking Passat.

Just one of the reasons why we love him so.

Of course, he would find Toyota guilty even if they had no arms or legs to use said weapon with :dopey: And he would tell you a VW is great even if its doors fell off while he was talking to you about it... "See, it just adds character!" :sly:

Brad, being calm is the best way to handle this. More so because they actually are handling it.

Back when I got rear ended a few years ago, I was more calm and collected than the lady that hit me, and though I was a bit frustrated I didn't take it out on her. Just made sure she was okay and then got the police to tow my car off (it couldn't move, trunk had collapsed and forced the body into the wheel wells).

I did let my frustration out on her insurance company when they tried to lowball me several times with lame excuses. Took me months to get my money. And now, more than 2 years later, I've come find out the state has me listed at fault for the accident by some mistake. So my rates have been higher for the last 2 years and they shouldn't be.
 
Plus, who doesn't love your quasi-Toyota/VAG/(insert offbeat model here) fettish?

Hey - I strongly dislike Toyota! That said, a simple 'the Camry isn't that bad' on this forum makes you automatically Toyota's greatest defender, given the attitudes most people here have towards that brand. And for the record, the Camry isn't that bad.

What does your brother drive?

JCE3000GT
Good list. Unless you trade your car for a Yugo.

FAIR TRADE! I'm calling the Yugo dealers.

Azuremen
Took me months to get my money. And now, more than 2 years later, I've come find out the state has me listed at fault for the accident by some mistake. So my rates have been higher for the last 2 years and they shouldn't be.

Jeez - what are you going to do about that?
 
G.T
I find it annoying when a car comes out a hell of a lot more damaged than the car the caused it.
Pfft... You should see the bus drivers in Queens. One of them bashed my girlfriends sister BMW 525i, not one scratch on the bus, while the BMW on the other hand...
The mirror broke, the passenger side doors got clobbered, the wheels got scratched up, and more, but then again it was the girls fault for trying to squeeze in between a 40FT bus and a traffic pole. Of course this was on a left turn. The driver got away with it. :D

Silver = Traffic Pole.
 
Hey - I strongly dislike Toyota! That said, a simple 'the Camry isn't that bad' on this forum makes you automatically Toyota's greatest defender, given the attitudes most people here have towards that brand. And for the record, the Camry isn't that bad.
You're right, the Camry isn't that bad. But that doesn't stop it from being a boring and ugly car that is outclassed by its own predecessors in terms of styling, driving pleasure (yes, I'm serious), and that hard-to-quantify "soul" factor.

The late '80s second-generation models were the best Camrys Toyota has ever made.

CNG
Pfft... You should see the bus drivers in Queens. One of them bashed my girlfriends sister BMW 525i, not one scratch on the bus, while the BMW on the other hand...
The mirror broke, the passenger side doors got clobbered, the wheels got scratched up, and more, but then again it was the girls fault for trying to squeeze in between a 40FT bus and a traffic pole. Of course this was on a left turn. The driver got away with it. :D
Okay, if your girlfriend's sister was the one who decided it was a good idea to try to squeeze between a bus and anything, how on earth does that place the blame on bad Queens bus drivers?
 
You're right, the Camry isn't that bad. But that doesn't stop it from being a boring and ugly car that is outclassed by its own predecessors in terms of styling, driving pleasure (yes, I'm serious), and that hard-to-quantify "soul" factor.

I simply cannot understand how a vehicle with 270 horsepower that's quicker than a Lamborghini Miura fails to have soul, and is 'boring' to drive. It might not handle incredibly, but at the very least the damn thing is going to run a low fourteen. It's categorically impossible for that to be boring - people just hear Camry and think bland; it's time to change those incorrect notions.
 
I simply cannot understand how a vehicle with 270 horsepower that's quicker than a Lamborghini Miura fails to have soul, and is 'boring' to drive. It might not handle incredibly, but at the very least the damn thing is going to run a low fourteen. It's categorically impossible for that to be boring - people just hear Camry and think bland; it's time to change those incorrect notions.
I'm sure it'd be no stretch of the imagination if I were to tell you that straight-line performance isn't terribly important to me. A quick glance at the machinery in my signature should illustrate that.

On the other hand, it's folly to expect excellent or at least entertaining handling from a Camry, too, but at least the older, lighter, less-safety-nannied ones would let you throw them around a little.

Is it too much to ask for the Camry to be more like a Mazda 6?

Should this discussion be relocated to a different thread where it isn't off-topic?
 
Nope not ironic at all, just logical.

Speed cameras (of which we have more than our fair share here in the UK) do not reduce accidents at all, and in many cases can cause an increase. The reason is quite straightforward, if you know a speed camera is around then people tend to stare at the speedo and are constantly re-checking speed. All of which is time not watching the road and surroundings, less observation equals less chance of seeing someone and more chance of an accident. However don't worry, just think of all that money rolling in to the government coffers (at least here in the UK) and by ignoring standard and straightforward statistical modelling tools they can fudge the figures all they want.

As you may guess I have a small issue with speed cameras.

That's fair enough Scaff, I didn't see it in that sort of light.

Anyway, good luck with repairing the damage YSSMAN.
 
I simply cannot understand how a vehicle with 270 horsepower that's quicker than a Lamborghini Miura fails to have soul, and is 'boring' to drive. It might not handle incredibly, but at the very least the damn thing is going to run a low fourteen. It's categorically impossible for that to be boring - people just hear Camry and think bland; it's time to change those incorrect notions.

Okay, then, by your description it's on the same level as, say, a 1970 Plymouth 440-6 Barracuda. It can't handle well, so it's a dragstrip racer.

The difference is, in the 'Cuda, you can actually do doughnuts if you wanted to. Unless you go to the Middle East and get one of the base models, (the infamous Arab drifters use them,) you have to deal with the traction/stability control. Not a chance on the US I-4 SE model. Don't even bring up the V6.

The Accord and Mazda6 provide a driver's experience that's a bit more satisfying. The Aura lags a bit behind these benchmarks, but is still more enjoyable to toss around than a Camry. the thing with a Camry is that it doesn't trust you. Toyota doesn't trust you. You could be Michael Schumacher, and many Toyotas wouldn't trust you.

The IS-F, and it's -GE series engine, is proof that there are enthusiasts at Toyota. We just want them to make cars we can afford. Would it kill people to make a Camry with a -GE engine, no (or truly fully defeatible) stability control, and a good set of springs? Oh, and we want the Celica back, too, and the Supra, No Hybrid version, please.

The Camry SE is a joke. A soulless transprotation device parading as a "Sporty" Sedan.

Oh, and call me when the Camry's faster than the Gallardo.
 
The Camry SE is a joke. A soulless transprotation device parading as a "Sporty" Sedan.

Oh, and call me when the Camry's faster than the Gallardo.


Oh, and call me when you're planning on getting on-topic...

Seriously, discuss this via PM or something, this is not what the thread's about.


On topic then, that doesn't looks too nice YSSMAN, reminds me of a car accident we had a couple of years ago when we were entering a corner and we suddenly heard an Audi 100 travelling waaay too fast and hit us. Luckely he hit the nose of the car and not the full side, we could've been seriously hurt if that would've happened. But one little question on your car, those rims remind me of a VW Bora, what year is your Jetta from?

Hope you get it fixed :cheers:
 
Okay, if your girlfriend's sister was the one who decided it was a good idea to try to squeeze between a bus and anything, how on earth does that place the blame on bad Queens bus drivers?
Because the driver saw her, squeezed her car, and kept going. Trust me I was in the bus when this was happening, the driver name is Mark, one of my old friends. The bus had plenty of room to turn later, but he rather carve the apex and carve the BMW on the right. :dopey: He must've played too much GT4...

Ohh yeah, and anyone in NYC, take the QBx1, and you will be in the fastest, scariest bus ride ever, going over 70MPH over NYC's potholes and bumps, and sometimes over 80MPH, since they didn't install speed limiters. :D Seriously, you feel like you are going to tip over on each and every turn. :scared: They hit 40MPH on a turn with a 10MPH sign, cutting through the wrong side of the road carving the apexes. :scared: They over take any highway car in front of them even if they are 1 inch away from touching sides.

Back on topic. I would like to say that people in Dodge Rams, Dodge Caravans, and Motorcycles are always the ones causing road rage here. GRR!! :mad: They would side-swipe you if you don't get out of the way, which is why I'm scared to drive my MR2 and stuck driving a Orion. :indiff:
 
Oh, and call me when you're planning on getting on-topic...

Seriously, discuss this via PM or something, this is not what the thread's about.

Yeah, I apologize, I just now thought about that. My blood was boiling at the time. Okay, if this goes on, we'll do it out of the way. Right?
 
Hey - I strongly dislike Toyota! That said, a simple 'the Camry isn't that bad' on this forum makes you automatically Toyota's greatest defender, given the attitudes most people here have towards that brand. And for the record, the Camry isn't that bad.

Yeah, I know. I just couldn't think of a good zinger there... I probably could have said something about the Taurus...

What does your brother drive?

Right now he has a '91 Nissan Sentra XE, but Mom is pushing off her '95 Camry on him now that we have the Grand Prix (I'll get more photos later).

...TJ plans on selling the Camry when he goes down to Ann Arbor in the fall, although, I'm not certain he wants to have a car payment, since the Toyota is free...

BTW: Yes, we do have a Toyota, and although my loathing of the brand is worse in some cases, the '95 (IMO) was the last of the "good" Toyotas before they started to go crazy with everything.

...I still think ours was built better than the ones on the road now, particularly after spending time in my Mom's friend's '07 Camry.
 
BTW: Yes, we do have a Toyota, and although my loathing of the brand is worse in some cases, the '95 (IMO) was the last of the "good" Toyotas before they started to go crazy with everything.

Who doesn't have a Toyota? We have a 1998 Camry - one of those ones where Toyota went crazy with everything (:D) and it's been flawless. There's a reason people buy these things, and there's a reason they command so much money used.
 
Its the second import car my Mother has ever owned. We had such a horrible experience with the '93 Corolla we had before it that we almost didn't get another Toyota (not that I had any influence). That car was a piece of crap, and Mom gave up as soon as the '95 Camrys came out.

...Come to think of it, we haven't had many imports in my immediate family at all...

- 1988 (or '89?) Mazda 626: I barely remember it, although I liked the seats in the back.
- 1988 Mazda 323: My brother's fist car, fell apart on him.
- 1991 Nissan Sentra: My brother's current ride
- 1993 Toyota Corolla: Piece of crap.
- 1995 Toyota Camry: Altogether a good car, but drives like a boat.
- 1996 VW Jetta: My car, and I love it!
- 1997 Nissan Altima: A good car we only had for a short while.
- 2003 Nissan Altima: Fun to drive, screwed together like IKEA furniture.

Most of these cars we're never owned for more than a year or so. The Mazda 626 was sold to buy a Mustang, the first Altima was sold to buy a Safari (van), and the second Altima was sold to buy an Envoy.

...Otherwise, I grew up in the back seat of a Chevrolet, be it my Dad's full-size C/K1500, his Caprice, the various GM vans we've had, the Avalanche, and in the non-Chevrolet category, the Grand Prix.
 
I simply cannot understand how a vehicle with 270 horsepower that's quicker than a Lamborghini Miura fails to have soul, and is 'boring' to drive. It might not handle incredibly, but at the very least the damn thing is going to run a low fourteen. It's categorically impossible for that to be boring - people just hear Camry and think bland; it's time to change those incorrect notions.
No, I disagree. You knew I would.

I've told you umpty-million times now, acceleration is not everything.

After a while - a very short while - I get very bored with pushing the gas pedal, particularly if acceleration is the car's only real claim to fame. It's like flicking a light switch - *ON* *off* *ON* *off* - OK, we've mastered that skill; let's move on to something interesting.

Especially since 90% of driving is done in traffic that means even my 'slow as hell' BMW never gets to accelerate for more than a few consecutive seconds before I have to slow down for the next red light or idiot in front of me.
 
Especially since 90% of driving is done in traffic that means even my 'slow as hell' BMW never gets to accelerate for more than a few consecutive seconds before I have to slow down for the next red light or idiot in front of me.

You can shave off a few seconds with faster acceleration. 💡
Say you are in a Nissan BE-1, when all the other cars accelerate faster than you, you are left still in first gear, with the camry on the other hand...

I have to agree with M5Power, the Camry is quick, and quick = fun. It has as much HP as the Acura TL, and is very underrated because it's a camry. :indiff: Now here's another car on my wish list. :guilty:

You must think it's boring to drive a Nascar... :crazy: :)
 
CNG
You must think it's boring to drive a Nascar... :crazy: :)

If he doesn't say yes then I will. Racing around an oval track with 3 or 4 turns has to be the most boring form of racing ever. The only right hand turns these drivers make is the 1º right hander out of the pit lane. B O R I N G
 
Back