- 24,344

- Midlantic Area
- GTP_Duke
No, I don't. Why is that relevant?You must think it's boring to drive a Nascar...![]()
![]()
No, I don't. Why is that relevant?You must think it's boring to drive a Nascar...![]()
![]()
No, I don't. Why is that relevant?
DukeAfter a while - a very short while - I get very bored with pushing the gas pedal, particularly if acceleration is the car's only real claim to fame. It's like flicking a light switch - *ON* *off* *ON* *off* - OK, we've mastered that skill; let's move on to something interesting.
JCE3000GTIf he doesn't say yes then I will. Racing around an oval track with 3 or 4 turns has to be the most boring form of racing ever. The only right hand turns these drivers make is the 1º right hander out of the pit lane. B O R I N G
Not that Duke needs me to reply, but that's not quite true, what he said was...You said that a car with good acceleration is just plain boring.
if acceleration is the car's only real claim to fame
Only if you think that the the acceleration is comparable to the Camry (its not - the TVR is in a totally different league) and that acceleration is its only defining characteristic. I've sat in a British GT Speed 12 and can tell you just sitting in it and the view out (or lack of it) is enough alone to differ it from the Camry.So driving a TVR Speed 12 must be boring too.![]()
I was saying since he said acceleration after a while gets boring when that is the only thing the car has to offer, not to compare to the camry, but just as an example, if he gets bored with cars after a while because of acceleration, then he would get bored with a TVR Speed 12, we all that car is not comparable to alot of cars.Only if you think that the the acceleration is comparable to the Camry (its not - the TVR is in a totally different league) and that acceleration is its only defining characteristic. I've sat in a British GT Speed 12 and can tell you just sitting in it and the view out (or lack of it) is enough alone to differ it from the Camry.
I take acceleration. Would you want a car that can easily get rear-ended when entering the highway? Especially in NYC?Personally acceleration is great, if its not the sum total of the car, and I'd take handling and driver involvement over it any day of the week.
The Speed 12 is a little more than a V12 in a wide Speed 12, its technically a GT class racing car made road legal (even if the GT car came after the road car concept).I was saying since he said acceleration after a while gets boring when that is the only thing the car has to offer, not to compare to the camry, but just as an example, if he gets bored with cars after a while because of acceleration, then he would get bored with a TVR Speed 12, we all that car is not comparable to alot of cars.You make a good point, but does a 2000 TVR Speed 12 offer anything other than a V12 in a wide 1998 TVR Cerbera Speed 6? So I think Duke would get bored with it. I can't say he will though.
![]()
I have to say that to avoid getting rear ended when merging with other traffic I would suggest better observation, as acceleration is not major factor when doing something like this.I take acceleration. Would you want a car that can easily get rear-ended when entering the highway? Especially in NYC?![]()
Okay, I understand what you are saying. I like the Speed 12, but I only like it for it's acceleration and looks, nothing else, you might be a more in-depth fan with the Speed 12, but I know I'm not.The Speed 12 is a little more than a V12 in a wide Speed 12, its technically a GT class racing car made road legal (even if the GT car came after the road car concept).
Once again you have taken Duke totally out of context here, and the analogy you used is poor and the speed 12 is about far more than acceleration.
You make a good point, but you never been in NYC to expierience the amazing traffic jams, so it's hard to merge onto a highway, because alot of people are speeding, and there are alot of people in this city. Just go to Pelham Parkway on rush hour, 174st on rush hour, west farms, and others. There's even jams on weekends.I have to say that to avoid getting rear ended when merging with other traffic I would suggest better observation, as acceleration is not major factor when doing something like this.
Acceleration times tell you very little about a car and I for one would not waste my time and money on a one trick pony.
Okay, I understand what you are saying. I like the Speed 12, but I only like it for it's acceleration and looks, nothing else, you might be a more in-depth fan with the Speed 12, but I know I'm not.There's a difference between different opinions, and offensiveness... 💡
Personally acceleration is great, if its not the sum total of the car, and I'd take handling and driver involvement over it any day of the week.
Frankly, I think the Jetta's handling sucks. But I've only driven a MKIII TDI and GL (I think that's what it is.)I have yet to drive too many small cars from that era that take note of decent handling and involvement, with or without acceleration.
Soft != Wheels coming off of the ground.The suspension was so soft the rear wheels were coming off the ground while cornering, and not an inch-er-so either.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Besides, FWD VWs are known for lifting an inside hoof in the tight stuff.The suspension was so soft the rear wheels were coming off the ground while cornering, and not an inch-er-so either.
The suspension was so soft the rear wheels were coming off the ground while cornering, and not an inch-er-so either.
Good luck getting it straightened out, literally and figuratively. Nice older cars are a blessing and a curse - cheap to own and operate, but very vulnerable to totalling on stuff like this.