What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever done in your car???

  • Thread starter Thread starter DARKEST_HOUR
  • 81 comments
  • 3,368 views
Gone 75 on US 36 eastbound past Macon, Missouri. :nervous: :nervous: :scared: :scared:

That was dumb. It's two lanes. Oncoming peterbilts!!!!

Uhh, Gil will probably be the only one to get this, but 6 days after getting my License I got myself lost in the 71 triangle. :dopey:
 
Stupidest thing I've done in my car was have sex in it... in the back seat of a '81 Mustang, only a contorsionist would've had fun at that...

stupid driving stunts include doing about 120 kph on a Buick Century Station Wagon and getting airborne at a bridge... I've also dirt drifted a GMC Yukon...

I once did a M-Spec-like mistake (shifting into 2nd, thinking it's 4th) on a Corolla at 100 kph... and and once did some aquaplanning on a '69 Mustang.
 
I can't drive yet but i'm bound to do something stupid when I do but I think whenever my dad "gets on" his mustang it's pretty dumb. Scratching the tires that cost $450/each to replace is not smart.
 
The dumbest thing I have ever done was change into my school clothes(pants,shirt,shoes) going down the highway with the cruise control set at 75mph with no hands on the wheel.

The other stupid thing i have done is when I had my first car a camarro one night after a party i had few drinks me and some friends thought it was cool to see what the car could do so I floored it on an empty stretch of highway not knowing there was railroad track crosseing on it we got up to about 80-85ish when we hit the railroad track crosseing the car got some air when it landed it tore of the oil pan not wanting to get caught I drove home with out the oil pan later on blowing the engine. :dunce: .That was the end of that car. :( After a month i got my ZX that I still have.

Some other dumbe stuff I have done cut off peope,the occasional peelout and of course speeding.
 
While I don't feel dumb for fishtailing coming out of a right hand turn in the rain, I do feel dumb for driving faster when I noticed there was now another car behind me.
The two that really stand out are what got my 2 cars respectivly totaled and badly bent.
1) Drifting on a gravel road with ditches on both sides
2) Mistaking a 2 way stop for a 4 way stop. Although I admit this was stupid of me, I will not accept more then 50% of the blame, because that corner is totally ****ing blind.

OH; once I was sitting at a stoplight, and for some reason got the idea that the light wasn't red anymore (it was). I didn't realize what I was doing untill halfway through the intersection, and it would have been even less safe to stop at that point. Good thing nobody was crossing and there were no police around. I spent the next 10 minutes weaving through subdivisions to make sure no one was following me.
After the 600$ ticket for fishtailing (which I still haven't paid!), initiating elaborate procedures to loose anyone following me at the slightest provocation has become standard driving procedure for me.
 
Pulling left out of a lot and not paying attention to any of the traffic ( up until they built a super walmart no traffic ever came through that way). Nothing happened I just cut off a guy.

First snowy day I ever drove, going into a T intersection from a sidestreet onto a major road. Sliding way past the stop, getting lucky enough to not catch traffic from either direction, somehow (with simultaneous use of the ebrake throttle and brakes) getting the car to turn and stay out of the ditch.

Getting lost in southern NY, flying around 95+ trying to figure out where I was for about three hours. Getting pulled over ten miles away from home for going ten over :(. It was kinda one of those "thank god I didn't get pulled over earlier but thats still the worst way to end the trip". Been about half a year since the last one and I'm still driving alot slower.
 
Emohawk
OH; once I was sitting at a stoplight, and for some reason got the idea that the light wasn't red anymore (it was). I didn't realize what I was doing untill halfway through the intersection, and it would have been even less safe to stop at that point.

I did that once, too. :lol: I think it was a light farther down the road that turned green. :dunce:

I wasn't driving, but here's the stupidest thing involving a car that I've been involved with; A few years ago, a friend of mine inherited a 1989 Celica GT Convertible from his older brother, but it was a manual, and my friend didn't know how to drive it, so we drove off to find a suitable parking lot to teach him. I was driving the Celica, with one friend as a passenger, and the Celica-owning friend was driving my parents' 1990 Pontiac Grand-Prix -- with the optional 200-horse 24-valve V6 -- with a fourth friend as a passenger.

We were driving a long distance to a specific parking lot we knew of (first mistake), and decided to drive on our favorite short little curvy road on the way there (second, bigger mistake). On the way there, I pulled a 2nd-gear-instead-of-4th on the highway (I was still new to manual trannies), but otherwise, it was smooth, but needlessly fast sailing (we were both new drivers and over-eager to speed).

When we reached the curvy road, however, my friend barrelled towards the first sharp corner at over 70mph (I already knew that the car could only do it at 50, tops), understeered, panicked, slammed on the brakes, oversteered, swerved to avoid an oncoming car, flew off of the end of the banked pavement backwards, hit a sign, and rolled onto the roof. Both of my friends in the Pontiac were okay, but my parents weren't happy... :ouch:

The friend who was driving the Pontiac thought it was a RWD, ABS-equipped sportscar, when in reality it's a FWD, ABS-less, understeer-happy, heavy, piece-of-**** that passes as a "sporty grand-tourer" by GM standards... :rolleyes:

I used to love zooming around in that thing like a jackass, and all of my friends drove the same way. You could say that the roll-over incident "educated" us otherwise. :)
 
ExigeExcel
He let you have a PSP...Explain. :sly:
That was my own money, not his so I earned it. :D
 
coming from a tropical country, I had no education on driving in the snow skills... nevertheless, the first time it snowed while I was living in Buffalo, NY, a friend of mine asked me to drive him in his car downtown, since he had a work interview and didn't have a place to park. The car was a Mk IV Golf. I drove perfectly to hsi interview, but while he was at the office, I just drove around... all of a sudden I had no idea where the hell I was, and just started driving in a straight line looking for a familiar street, and about 10 minutes later found it, and slammed on the brakes in order to turn, since I'm kinda shortsighted and only came up to see the sign when I was passing it. It was kind of fun, until the left front tire hit the curb... I then headed home to find my friend there... apparently I was supposed to head straight home, since he was taking a bus or something... whatever, he didn't even notice the rim was bent.
 
VIPERGTSR01
Admittingly I've done alot of stupid things in my car and alot im not proud of, I have gotten away with almost all of it except Ive blown a diff doing burnouts, blown and gearbox flat changing and blown an engine revving while engine was detonating.

Whats the matter? Engine not fixed?
 
how fast was that crash VTRacing??
Some pretty funny stuff guys :lol:
 
Maybe 70 km/h? Certainly no more than that.

Rolled once, then roof first into the tree (you can see the mark).

Both of us walked away, but 1 metre further towards the front and it might have been a different story.
 
I went too fast into a wet corner and jumped the curb at maybe 10-15 mph... :indiff:
 
The dumbest thing I've done in my car so far was last night.

I took a buddy for a ride in the parking lot near the Oktoberfest guys, got the car semi-sideways (Yes, a FWD luxury sedan) and as I'm throttling out of the oversteer I guess I popped a coolant T fitting, because about two minutes after that, my friend noticed smoke coming from under the hood.

Well, I pop the hood. It wasn't overheating, it was just coolant on the exhaust manifolds making the smoke. We have to ghetto rig up a solution to limp it home. Luckily for me I decided to be a jackass right there, otherwise I would've been stranded in the middle of nowhere in the rain, as the tools I used to fix the car were borrowed from a guy at Oktoberfest with a red E30 M3 and a Tail Of The Dragon shirt on.

Thanks E30 M3 dude, you rock.
 
Radicool02
Whats the matter? Engine not fixed?

You know very well, dont make me come over there and fix you *shakesfist*
 
I took my freshly re-painted 300E out for a spin on a 2-lane road that has 3/4 mile long straights then 90 degree bends for about 6 miles. its really quite weird.

ok, so i floored it down the straight, got to about 80mph (could have gone faster, but didn't want to) , then tried to slow down for the right turn. i forgot my ABS doesnt work, so the front right tire locks up before i get there, so i naturally let up so it rolls again. but im still going too fast, so i hit the brakes again, locking up the front left this time. too late, i have to turn or go head first over the bank into a rainwater resevoir. i let of the brake so i can turn.

all is going well, but then i feel the back swing out, so i countersteer. to make matters worse, there was an oncoming car entering the turn. i was almost completely sideways, halfway through the turn, when the weight unloads to the back(or something, but thats what I think) and it regains traction while the front wheels are at opposite lock. not good. so it violently swings around 180 just a foot(or so) behind the oncoming car. all this happened in like um a second and a half.

i end up facing the way i came, with the other car pulled over calling the cops. so i put it back in gear(it popped in neutral as there is no gate) an get the hell outta there. i pull into a neighborhood and take off my euro plate, D oval magnet and put on a different shirt and some sunglasses and cautiously make my way home.
 
Nearly ran some poor soul off the freeway when I didn’t check my blind spot (I was merging from the second lane to the fast lane, so if he hadn’t honked at me, he would’ve had to hit the mountainside-shoulder).
 
Everybody does that at some point in their driving career ^^

I once hit an old lady in a stationary car at about 5-10km/h because I was watching a car in my rear view mirror trying to catch it's number plate :dopey:
 
Yeah, one time I veered onto on coming traffic briefly because I was checking out some pedestrians. It was like a scene out of a movie or something, except I didn't drive out of the shot and have a wreck.


M
 
Female pedestrians? :sly:
 
started the car whilst drunk..attempting to put it into first and have a drive about. this is all at say 12am on a saturday, im 17, i dont have a licence (or a provisional) and it wasnt my car, but my mums. needless to say i gave up and turned it off, and walked back inside. it only hit me when i woke up the next day that i couldve ****ed alot of **** up :(
 
Been in a car with my dad when he rolled it into a bush...

It was icy and he went too fast round a right hander and 2 wheels dropped into a ditch and it rolled down into a bush and hit a fence. :D
 
My dad took his eye off the speedo on the M20 while pulling the caravan. We started snaking across the road through about 2 lanes. He got it under control but he'll never take his eyes off the speedo for long again.
 
I was helping the guys in my Autocross club organizing a rally event ( German ADAC Kathrein Rallye), and we had to keep specators away from the "track" and wave a yellow flag in case there's a crash...... So far so good. My place was some...4-5 km (3 miles) from the start where we had the meeting in the morning.

The road was closed to traffic but there were other oficials on it, so I decided to drive (i'm only 17) our 150 Hp Renault Grand Espace Diesel......going up a hill in 3rd at around 2000 rpm, floored it........nothing happened, until 2500 rpm, when the car surged like a sportscar (hey, at least that's the feeling)......my dad would have let go of the throttle a bit, but I took it to the "redline" (5000 in a diesel) and shifted into 4th, turbo was blowing so acceleration went on, at which point my dad looked at me and asked : Who the **** do you think you are, Tommi Makkinen ? (my mom was in the back seat :lol: )

I was going .... like 70 kmh but on a road that's a BIT wider than the car, seemed like 170.

Drove very carefully the next 2 km, heel-and-toeing when slowing down and rev-matching the up-shifts, just to calm my dad down :)

Thoughts: -don't floor a diesel while the turbo's NOT moving, you'll have a BIG surprise when it will ;);)
- don't play rally with your parents in the car
- especially if your mother is in the car
- If you feel that a car is accelerating, STOP :) (i failed to do this because of GT4 :lol: )

Anyway, it wasnt THAT stupid, just a bit embarrasing......
 
I had my mum in the car (Skyline) once while driving on a wet road, I pulled out of a corner then drove up the road abit and in second when the boost started coming on (only half throttle) it wheelspinned steping the rear out for abit of a snakey, happens all the time I wasnt worried about it but my mum didnt see it that way :( She acted like we were out of control and crashing.
 
Back