What about the AI grinds your gears?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Airetam
  • 57 comments
  • 2,927 views
8mS65Uk.jpg
 
The AI is what stops me playing GT6 most of the time. I'm not that fussed about multiplayer although I do race in a league every Monday so the AI is important to me and for a game like Gran Turismo, AI should be an important feature.

The issues I have, which I had with GT5 also is that they are simply too slow, even on Pro with stock cars. Starting last, as we always have to, by the end of the lap, I am usually in 4th and by lap 2 I am 1st. They are just far too slow. Plus the stupid braking in a flat out corner at some tracks ruins the race.

I like how in GT6 they move off line a little more but generally, the AI is just dumb and it kills the whole element of enjoyable racing for me. I don't want to win every race that easily, I want to work at it and focus on my driving and lines to try and race and beat the AI, not walk it by lap 2 which is the current situation.
 
You have to think a bit to get a good race out of them.

If you run like for like you will win easy. But the "easy win" does let me run in cars that are woefully underpowered for an event... Ran a Stock Elise (96) with a sports exhaust (For what I hoped would be a better engine note at the Ascari 10 lapper.
That had so many passes/repasses. You have to imagine that these sunday racers are emulating people that own these cars but can't afford to crash them.

Worst AI.

Did a few races against this German chap... S.Vettel in the Red Bull Fan car... dear me. He cut corners like they were emo kids worshipping the Beiber. And Bashing into you like it was a Taxi in Paris rather than a piece of delicate piece of bleeding edge of adhesion technology.

Yes S Vettel is the worst
 
Only in a BRM P115 -

GPL- - John Surtees - The AI driver everyone feared.
 
I played GT3 yesterday and it reminded me of why i used to love Gran Turismo! The AI was pushing the cars to the absolute limit in some of the races i entered. None of this jerky movement, just fast and flowing. Even though there was only 6 cars in the races it was far more competitive and it was nice to see AI making mistakes and overtaking one another. Also they even made pit stops...... Where did it all go wrong :(
 
I played GT3 yesterday and it reminded me of why i used to love Gran Turismo! The AI was pushing the cars to the absolute limit in some of the races i entered. None of this jerky movement, just fast and flowing. Even though there was only 6 cars in the races it was far more competitive and it was nice to see AI making mistakes and overtaking one another. Also they even made pit stops...... Where did it all go wrong :(

I got really ticked off in a GT-6 Tsukuba race. It seemed this one car kept knocking me off the track, time after time. Finally I just snapped. I stopped caring about winning the race, I was gonna git that guy!! I started lurking where there is a little pullout just before the homestretch hairpin, and every time that guy came by I crashed into him knocking him off the track. After about 5 knockouts, that guy would really stay out of my way, believe it or not, he actually learned a little respect. It took a while though, then I went ahead and started racing again, and that car got out of my way every time I came up behind him. Haw Haw! So maybe the AI can learn something.
 
Ryk
Only in a BRM P115 -

GPL- - John Surtees - The AI driver everyone feared.

Hey Ryk Penfold, we were team mates. I am Michael Boylan and we formed Marceau Campbell Racing, named after Sophie Marceau and Neve Campbell :) I still have all the replays of our races :)
 
Ryk
Worst AI.

Did a few races against this German chap... S.Vettel in the Red Bull Fan car... dear me. He cut corners like they were emo kids worshipping the Beiber. And Bashing into you like it was a Taxi in Paris rather than a piece of delicate piece of bleeding edge of adhesion technology.

Yes S Vettel is the worst
That challenge was a breeze. I was ahead of the dude the whole time so he couldn't PIT me :p
 
They're painfully slow but there is ALWAYS that one car which is faster than everyone in the field and that really limits your options regarding which car you can use.
 
The fact that i can overtake superior machinery on superior tyres around the outside of the Karousel. They aren't even trying until you get close and they effectively pull over to give you the position.
 
Don't forget when you overtake from the inside...
 
I really hate it when it's easy to get to 2nd (even though you started from the back of the pack), but by the time you get there, the guy up front has such a lead you end up chasing him down the whole race. As a result, you end up losing because he's so far ahead. At least add the option to let us qualify, PD! :banghead:
 
What about the A.I. that grinds my gears? Their "Artificial Intelligence".
 
The stupid brake points, they often surprise me then I get a bonus ... NOT! ... a punishment for contact! :banghead:
 
The fact they wait for you instead of putting in consistent laps. First few laps I can barely keep up with them (unless I tune the car close to the max PP), the final two laps I can spin out twice and still breeze by the whole pack.
 
It makes me crazy that the AI brake checks you for no reason and that they can bump you and spin you out but if you bump them, they barely even move.
 
The fact that the AI cars are so grounded to the track you cannot flip them (even if you manage to do it it's just too much trouble). If they get into the side/back of my car they can flip me easily but if I come from the side and slam into the back side panel of their car they don't budge! I assume PD did this so we couldn't drive dirty and I try not to drive dirty but when the stupid AI decides to climb up the track with no regard for me and spins me out I want revenge!! :mad: Let me spin out that stupid AI PD!!!!!!!
 
Another thing about the A.I. that drives me insane is the fact that they don't make mistakes (at least not that I have noticed). Unlike humans, they don't accidentally give it too much gas coming out of a corner and spin or fishtail, they don't screw`up their line and lose time, and they certainly don't drive in an "intelligent" manner!
 
Another thing about the A.I. that drives me insane is the fact that they don't make mistakes (at least not that I have noticed). Unlike humans, they don't accidentally give it too much gas coming out of a corner and spin or fishtail, they don't screw`up their line and lose time, and they certainly don't drive in an "intelligent" manner!
They do make mistakes ... as they do sometimes crash in to each other I saw it happen on Twin Ring Motegi ...
 
The fact they wait for you instead of putting in consistent laps. First few laps I can barely keep up with them (unless I tune the car close to the max PP), the final two laps I can spin out twice and still breeze by the whole pack.

This is by far the worst. You can't even use the Arcade mode for some nice long races. Instead of letting you fight they will slow down every freaking time so you can reach them 2-3 laps before the end. Why have the option of professional AI (or whatever the highest setting is called) and max aggressiveness when they still slow down? Doesn't PD think that I might actually want a race where I need to fight hard to win when I select the max difficulty? I don't even bother with the Arcade mode anymore and the career races are just too short (and too easy) to keep me doing them. Thanks to the AI the whole offline part of GT is boring as fudge.
 
This is the most annoying one:
  • They have super brakes, which WILL result in you bumping into them even if you try not to.
Even when I know that they do that and try to avoid it, I still end up hitting them. Sometimes it feels like they do it just to annoy you, even when they don't need to brake.

Agreed i try not to bump them but its hard not to...
 
The AI in GT6, for most intents and purposes, is decent. However, there are two things that drive me absolutely nuts:
- The rolling starts. This isn't necessarily the AI's fault but if we could start every race with a standing start, they wouldn't need to drive the last lap at 50% throttle to give the player a chance to catch up.

- The fact that they are completely oblivious to the presence of your vehicle. Yeah, I might be guilty of cutting them off at times but that doesn't mean I deserve to get PIT'ed into the sand trap every time I exit a corner a little wide. And then of course, if you want to retaliate against the AI by PIT'ing them, you may as well be running into a glacier on wheels.
 
Last edited:
This is by far the worst. You can't even use the Arcade mode for some nice long races. Instead of letting you fight they will slow down every freaking time so you can reach them 2-3 laps before the end. Why have the option of professional AI (or whatever the highest setting is called) and max aggressiveness when they still slow down? Doesn't PD think that I might actually want a race where I need to fight hard to win when I select the max difficulty? I don't even bother with the Arcade mode anymore and the career races are just too short (and too easy) to keep me doing them. Thanks to the AI the whole offline part of GT is boring as fudge.

There is something very strange going on in arcade mode, but it's not quite that simple. I'll use for an example the hour-long race I ran before the 24 hours of Daytona this year. I used an SLS GT3 and got a field of mostly GT cars with some SuperGTs, but an R18 snuck in that I didn't notice. I fell back early and then began gaining on the leaders, while the R18 worked up to the lead after 2 or 3 laps. I was able to steadily gain 1-2 seconds on him on my good laps for roughly the first half of the race, then all of a sudden he found the gas pedal and was blowing me away by 3-5 seconds per lap against my best laps of the race for the entire final half to be close to lapping me by the end. I kept getting faster and so did he. Watching the replay showed that neither traffic nor competition had anything to do with it, he was by himself even while I was gaining. I have seen the opposite happen as well with them inexplicably slowing down late in races.

Whatever is happening, it does help ruin GT6's only possible venue for decent offline racing but it doesn't seem to be the same behavior as what happens in the career races. It's yet another thing about this game that makes absolutely no sense. Arcade races really do seem to have been reduced to generic track-day events now... with no fuel depletion or tire wear to boot. Many of these and other problems could of course be patched, but the issue is not really one of how these things are in the game, but why.
 
I want to PIT maneuver them whenever they do it to me! :mad:🤬:mad:🤬
 
I played GT3 yesterday and it reminded me of why i used to love Gran Turismo! The AI was pushing the cars to the absolute limit in some of the races i entered. None of this jerky movement, just fast and flowing. Even though there was only 6 cars in the races it was far more competitive and it was nice to see AI making mistakes and overtaking one another. Also they even made pit stops...... Where did it all go wrong :(
With GT3 you actually didn't have to downgrade your car too much to have a good battle, even on stock they gave you a run for your money if i remember right. Still the best and most impressive GT to date part 3 (but that's another discussion) 👍
 
Back