What are some video games you used to like, but dislike/don't care for anymore?

Any game. especially fps... I had a ritual lasting many years where I played the single player CoD campaigns just to get a story of progression.

The last one I played was BLOPS2. I meant to play the Kevin Spacey one but never got around to it.

Problem will be that I have a job that has anywhere up to 10-12hr shifts and I havent watched a movie nor any TV series since the UK dramatisation of Chernobyl, Jared Harris, 3.6 not good not terrible etc.

I still have a PS4 and I still bang out GTS and whatever free crap Sony are giving away (Horizon Zero Dawn).

I havent turned on my Xbox for a long time. I just cant get motivated to even look at whatever the hell Microsoft is shovelling. Forza is the gaming equivalent of white bread. I have exceeding low hopes for Fm8/Fh5.

With two kids and all the mess that life is who has the time? I have two cars both overdue for service. Both are what I consider "non performance SUVs".

I have a 'gaming pc' of sorts, 8 core Xeon + RX580 but havent played much but 2d games on it. I have a new 32" 4k monitor sitting in the garage unopened.

I seem to be constantly paying bills and I dont have a problem with money because my job is good but geez. Everyone seems to be in my pocket.

I look forward to retirement which shouldnt be that long from now just so I can zone out and play games and get back into high performance V8s.

I have absolutely zero interest in PS5/Xbox X until there's some compelling titles ie. GT7.

My only current love is hifi audio. I have a nice set of speakers + power amp subs etc. which is nice for games if I ever bothered.

Most if not all games really fit this bill.

I've always been into racing games, but most of the arcade titles I have no interest in anymore, and the simulation titles are all the same. Have a set of cars, tracks, and run a chain of single races. No progression, no immersion beyond car on track, no real feeling that you are truly part of the racing world, or reason to continue to grind out races. "Career Modes" are just glorified single chamionships that have no bearing on one another.

Also I'm very much a person who prefers moddable games, just for the ability to create cars/drivers/rosters to mimic real series. Unfortunately the only game that does this well(AC) has too many terrible illegal rips and conversions to sift through that I have sort of given up trying.

Forza and GT have lackluster custom race modes that make their wide variety of cars and customization useless for replicating a real racing event.

I'm still running NR2003 for a NASCAR title but even that has overstayed its welcome for me(mainly due to community toxicity and division.) There is no decent modern alternative, so I'm up a creek there as well (NHeat has limited modding but as a game is sub-par at best)

I've lost interest in Pokemon, which I used to sink hours into, now lucky to get 20 minutes before I get bored.

I did play TF2 for a while, but got tired of not improving and hating the numbness of grinding out hours to get better.

And all the other games and genres don't interest me in the slightest.

Need for Speed The Run.
Got this game for the PS3 back in Christmas of 2011 and despite being disappointed with Shift, Nitro, and Hot Pursuit 2010 before, I still gave it an honest chance. This is one I only "sort of" liked at first and it just barely makes into this thread. The game started off alright and at least managed to draw me in. The races, while not super exciting, I liked them some since they didn't frustrate me as the previous games did. The scenery in the game was pretty darn good to look at, the handling, while not fantastic, I didn't mind it much and the rewind feature I thought was a neat idea I wished other games had. (still do) It having DLC cars inspired by cars from some of my favorite NFS titles undoubtedly had my attention as well. While people complained about the story, I was thankful it even had one at all and I feel it added to the experience and gave me some incentive to play through it all. Initially, I thought it would be the first 3rd gen NFS I would actually end up liking in the end.

Was it? Nope! The career at least managed to hold my attention long enough for me to finish it, but once I beat it, I had no incentive to do it ever again. I tried doing a few online races and those didn't do anything for me either. Pretty much after the first playthrough, the game just had no replay value for me and nothing left for me to enjoy. To be fair though, the game was at least tolerable, I didn't completely hate it and if I had to go back to one 3rd gen NFS title, I'd probably choose this over the rest, but that really isn't saying much. I may be wrong about some of the things I said here and I may be forgetting something because I ended up abandoning the game just weeks after getting it and haven't gone back to it since. Regardless, despite how I felt at first, I still don't care too much for this game.

Last edited:
For me it most sports games. I used love Madden, NHL and the like. Bought them every year until I realized I was basically paying full price for upgrade rosters essentially. Most FPS

The list is too long, but I'll just name a few...

• Madden Franchise
  • WWE franchise
  • Call of Duty franchise
Just such a shame what they franchises have become. Sales are up for each of them no doubt, but the quality is most definitely in the dumpster.

Smash Bros. Wii U

The game suffers from nothing for it to stand out. The moment we got Smash Bros. Ultimate. Wii U felt redundant.

Melee has Adventure, Brawl has Subspace, 3DS has Smash Run. I guess you can say Wii U had Smash Tour but Id just play Mario Party.

Speaking of Mario Party. Super Mario Party is also one of them, its not as exciting as the other games even 9 and 10. It doesn't brutally screw over players and since everything is so cheap, the strat of just farming Golden Pipes then use them in the final turns is by far the best strat. Makes playing very repetitive. Disappointing because I love the friend mechanic

Last edited:
I was first introduced to the Need For Speed in the mid 90s on the Panasonic 3DO and played just about ever installment of this series prior to Need For Speed: Pro Street. In 2007 I purchased my first Xbox 360 then began to play Test Drive Unlimited, Project Gotham 4 and Forza Motorsport 2. Over the years I've followed the Need For Speed series but lost interest due to its lack of features which were available in the other racing games I began to play in 2007.

I used to play tons of motocross games, in fact they were my racing mainstay pretty much from Excitebike on. They really lost me when everyone switched to the two stick system, and game designers that lost the plot with tracks that somehow managed to be both unimaginative and preposterous at the same time. The genre really peaked with MCM2 and has been in decline since, and improved physics and the incorporation of real tracks and series haven't overcome the stupid two stick controls enough to save it.

I used to play a lot of multi-player games before, one of these was this one:

JhvywhR.jpg

Destiny

In 2015, this was one of my first PS4 games that I played and it was the one who introduced me to FPS. I remember playing a ton of hours in that game even though I never got a chance to play all 4 expansions. Many people criticized the game, however I enjoyed every minute of it.

It's been 6 years and after playing a lot of single player games such as Halo, BioShock, Half-Life, The Last of Us, etc. now I understand why a lot of people didn't like it. First, the main campaign was a complete mess, although the game had a cool art style the plot was non-existent; it had boring characters, poor dialogue and repetitive missions that only consisted of killing waves of enemies and getting from point A to B.

Although the game had great replayability, 90% consisted of repeating the same missions over and over again along with FOMO tactics that make the game feel like a chore.

I currently have no interest in playing multiplayer games again, because many of these are tedious and employ the same tactics to keep their players hooked (eg: Grinding, Loot Boxes, Daily Rewards, Random Rewards, FOMO, Power Creep, Pay to Skip, Artifical Scarcity, Premium Currency, etc)

Last edited:
NASCAR '99.
Played this game some on the PS1 when I was very young not long after I started gaming and from what I recall, I liked it and I was pretty hyped to get a hold of the game again back in 2012. Although I have been having a resurge of interest in NASCAR games since 2020 and even finding new enjoyment in most I previously didn't care about, NASCAR '99 however is not one of them. After looking at it again with open eyes, I honestly find it pretty unenjoyable now, especially after playing other NASCAR games, some even from its own time period.

Reasons being:
  1. First and foremost, I HATE the way the cars handle in this game. They're just too understeery and not nearly as fun to drive as they were in NASCAR '98 or any other NASCAR title, even with nearly identical settings for the physics/AI. I even tried making it as easy as possible and it still wasn't fun to play.
  2. The AI and framerate just seem a bit dodgy in places, more so than other NASCAR games including its predecessor.
  3. Okay, this is a bit trivial I guess, but what is up with the engine sounds here? They sound like a tire rubbing against the fender of a damaged vehicle and don't sound much like a race car from NASCAR at all. NASCAR '98's may not have been the greatest either, but they sounded better than this, which makes me wonder, what happened here?
  4. The game has no fantasy tracks. I love fantasy tracks, I love to see the developers use their imagination and come up with their own, it makes each game feel unique and gives me a reason to go back to play it again. That said, I am pretty disappointed this game doesn't have any, especially since '98 had quite a few and 2000 and 2001 did as well. It's honestly a huge missed opportunity in my opinion and something this game needed.
Maybe I am missing something here, but the game just feels like a step back from NASCAR '98 in almost every way and it's not nearly as good as 2000 or 2001 either in my opinion. Despite developing a newfound interest for NASCAR games, I just do not enjoy playing NASCAR '99 and have hardly any incentive to play it at all.

Last edited:
Call of Duty. I like the premise and the campaign modes but actually playing the game these days leaves me frustrated. I've found that in the last few years I just don't enjoy fast paced FPS shooter games anymore. Gaming is for relaxing now for me and I dont find being assailed by half an army at one time relaxing at all. Doesnt help that old age has slowed my reflexes down a bit. Probably explains why I'm really enjoying Ghost Recon. Take your time make a plan stick to it and watch everything fall into place.

Gran Turismo 5.

My enjoyment of it came down to online and the online benefits, with the servers shut. It feels a bit unplayable. I don't have this problem with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue funny enough and still play that on occasion

Last edited:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005.
Well, ain’t this an interesting one? I have talked about it before in one of my own threads here on GTP, it was a game I was very prejudiced towards at first, but long story short it was a game I ended up liking a lot in the end and had a lot of fun with it. To the point where even my dad and sister, who aren’t even gamers, played it. However, revisiting the game in 2021, it hasn’t exactly stood the test of time for me.

So why am I so indifferent about it now? Well…
1. It’s just hard. This was a major problem I had even back in the day, I think it was a huge part of why I didn’t play it more often too and it doesn’t lend itself well in this day and age either. Even after playing the tutorial, I just don’t understand a lot of how you're supposed to play the game. I don’t know if the game is just challenging, if I am just bad at it, or both, but I can’t win a match to save my life. I always feel like I am at a disadvantage against the competition and that just makes the whole experience unenjoyable for me.

2. Game Face II, the place where you can create your own player for the game, was great when the idea was new to me and I had never seen anything like it before, but it hasn’t aged well. One of the biggest problems I have always had with this feature is they love to attach price tags to various items and make some of them obscenely overpriced, all of which just seems unnecessary. Theirs some items I have wanted in the past but I could never get them due to this and what I said in #1 certainly doesn’t help.

Not only that but it’s become vastly overshadowed by games like WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 and 2010. While they’re completely different games, they had a similar feature where not only was everything free, but it had A LOT more options to choose from and generally was far better than Game Face II in PGA Tour 2005 ever was. As a result, I just can’t find a reason to go back to Game Face II anymore.

3. When you create a new player, they start off very very weak and in order to get them up to snuff with the other golfers, it requires an obscene amount of grinding. I sank a lot of time into the game back in the days and even then, I don’t think I got too far. I am not against the idea of progression and making your player better over time, and this could just be because of what I said in #1, but PGA Tour 2005 I think just takes it way too far and asks for way too much.

4. Golfing just isn’t as fun to me as it used to be. I think part of why I enjoyed it way back when was because I had never played it before and the concept of it was new to me. However, since that’s no longer the case and my tastes have changed a lot, it just isn’t the same to me and I don’t enjoy the idea of playing a golfing game anymore. It’s fine as a minigame in games like Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, but not as a full-fledged game.

5. Lastly, this may be a bit personal, but when I used to play this game, me and my brother often played together and we rarely played it by ourselves. A lot of the fun I had was through playing with him. However, as of this year, my brother and sister have moved out of the house, they don’t have the time to play the game anymore (probably don’t care to either) and it’s just not the same without them. Where the game failed to grab my attention in single-player, it succeeded in multiplayer, but none of that matters now since I have no one to play with anymore. :(
It seems I have come full circle here. I went from not being very interested in the game, to being pleasantly surprised with it and having a blast afterward, only to end up feeling more or less like I did from the start. Have I lost interest in it entirely? Not quite, it still gives me some nostalgia and I feel like it has some untapped potential, but even then, I am not too optimistic about it. It kind of makes me sad to be honest because I want to enjoy this game again, but my interest in it just ain’t what it once was.

Last edited:
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012).
When I first got the game, I actually was somewhat impressed with it when I first started playing and was optimistic maybe it would be one of the first NFS titles since Undercover I could honestly say I liked, but no, it wasn't. It was alright at first, but as I kept playing, I just kept getting frustrated with the ridiculously sensitive collision detection falsely detecting even the slightest things as crashes when they shouldn't have been and the crash cam didn't make me feel any better about it. I like Burnout and NFS, but the idea of the two mixing together is like Skittles and M&M's to me. They're great when taken separately, but not when combined. From what I recall, I don't remember liking the controls or the handling much and I think the game just eventually got to where it was just too hard for me, and it just didn't really have enough things I liked to make me want to play the game more often.

Now some people love to hate it because of it having the title "Most Wanted" and not being anything like the 2005 game, but not me. The title can be whatever it wants, but it doesn't really change how I feel about the game and I never was a huge fan of the 2005 game anyways. I wanted to like NFSMW 2012, but I ended up abandoning the game weeks after getting it before I could even finish it all because I just felt it wasn't worth the frustration. I eventually returned to the game years later just to give it another go and within 5 minutes, I was ready to stop playing it, but I spent about 10 more minutes on it before quitting and haven't touched it since. Nowadays, it's easily my least favorite NFS I have ever played and I didn't even bother with Rivals since this game was the last straw for me.

Last edited:
MMO’s like Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Aion, Lord of the Rings online and then some Conan online game I vaguely remember. Think that’s all the MMO’s I ever played and yep EverQuest isn’t one of them (I was heavily into Age of Empires 1 & the Rise of Rome expansion around the time EverQuest was hot).

Burnout 3 Takedown and Burnout Revenge.
Got these games for the PS2 a very long time ago and for a while, I really enjoyed them. (Burnout 3 especially) However, as time went on, I became less and less interested with them until I eventually couldn't find much reason to play them anymore. From what I remember, it seemed like I got constantly annoyed with the collision detection falsely detecting such minor things as a crash, like lightly tapping a wall or sideswiping, when they really shouldn't be. That stupid crash cam that would show every time it happens certainly didn't help either. Like, I get crashes is what Burnout is about, but geez.

Another thing I can remember is it seemed like both games had some challenges that got too hard later on and with what I said above, it oftentimes ruined my mood to play them. I didn't really like either games art style much either. Not really sure how to explain it, I just never really liked how they looked. Then their was NFS, which not only had several games I was into back then, but they were also putting out games at the time that later became favorites of mine. Which eventually led to my interest in NFS overshadowing Burnout for me and I just found what NFS was doing at the time to be much more enjoyable.

Now I must confess, I am going off memory when I say all this and I haven't played either game in a very long time. So I could be wrong about some of these things and who knows, maybe the nostalgia will hit me harder than expected the next time I play them again. Still, while I don't dislike Burnout, my interest in either game is not what it once was.
On another note, I got to thinking after posting about that, while the racing aspect may have put me off later on, one thing about Burnout I don't think I ever got tired of was the crash mode. Seems like I remember having more fun with it than the actual racing at times, however the fact I got it done and dusted and ran out of crash mode challenges may have been why I didn't do them anymore after I quit playing both games.
So after many years of not touching either game, I finally decided to go back to both of these games on my PS2 and after doing so, I can honestly say I stand by everything I said here. However, I have more I want to say about them.

Upon revisiting Burnout 3, I did some races and I have to say, it's alright with slower cars, but with supercars and the US circuit racer, I found it to be way too fast-paced for me. I couldn't really see to avoid what was in front of me until I was right up on it and everything just happens way too fast. Collision detection wasn't quite as bad as I thought since I could at least wallride, but I still found it had a mind of its own at times. Sometimes it registered when it shouldn't have, other times, it did the exact opposite. However, what I found myself getting the most annoyed with was the traffic. I just thought it had too much of it, I got really tired of running into them constantly and having to sit through those crash cams every time I hit them. This annoyed me even back in the day and I don't feel any better about it now. That said, I can honestly say I do NOT enjoy the racing aspect of the game anymore. Maybe I am a little rusty, but I just had a miserable experience trying it again and it honestly has me wondering how I even tolerated it in my youth.

The crash mode was just as good as I remembered though and I still enjoy it about as much as I did back in the days, I just wish it gave the player a little more time. Road rage surprisingly was more fun than expected and I found myself wanting to do it more and more as I played it. Although the traffic is still annoying in this one, I think the reason I didn't get as annoyed with it in road rage was that it was less about being fast and more about eliminating others instead. Overall, Burnout 3 Takedown is still not what it once was to me anymore, but I have to admit, I feel a little bit better about it now than I did before and might play it some more in the future.

Burnout Revenge however? I don't even have much to write about this one because it just didn't interest me enough to play it more. Despite playing it a bit when I was younger, I didn't even remember much of it at all upon revisiting it and I don't know why, but I just could not get back into this game again as I did with Burnout 3. This game just failed to grab my attention and I found myself feeling even less interested in it than before. I'll give it the benefit of a doubt though, it might be worth looking at it again with a fresh mind later, but right now I have little desire to play it.

Last edited:
I'd say the Need for Speed series. The last one I played was Hot Pursuit 2010, though I recall that Most Wanted 2012 was very good. I think it's worthy to note that MW2012 wasn't just the last NFS to be developed by Criterion, but was also the last NFS game to score above an 80 on MetaCritic. I never bought Rivals/2015/Payback/Heat, though I did read a lot about them. They seemed a lot to me like wasted potential, especially in the multiplayer portion. More specifically, I saw potential to have limits on performance rating, or which vehicles you could use, but no, it was basically an open competition where just a few cars dominated a single competitive ecosystem.

I'm hoping that between Criterion once again being at the helm, and also getting assistance from a division of CodeMasters, that this next NFS will be interesting enough for me to get it. But on the other hand, Criterion as it was a decade ago is not the same as it is now, with former head honchos Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward having left EA to form Three Fields Entertainment. So I think this year's game could be NFS' desperate bid to better itself.

Gran Turismo (PSP).
I got this game with my PSP a long time ago and played the crap out of it in my late teen years, but I have little desire to touch it anymore. The fact I played the crap out of it is a huge part of why since I just got sick of playing it because of this and it seems I never grew out of it either. Nowadays, what keeps me from wanting to play it is because the game doesn't have the ability to tune your car unless you hack the game, no events, and overall just feels like a glorified arcade mode more than anything. And I know it's meant to be a handheld game you play on the go and not something as massive as the console games, but still, I wish it had more.

Now don't get me wrong, I still like the game, but I have little incentive to play it nowadays and unless somebody makes a cool mod for it that gives it more content, I don't see myself doing much in this game at all.

Last edited:
Need for Speed Nitro.
Got this game for the Wii for Christmas not long after release and at first, I kind of liked it and was glad to see it had customizations, but that eventually wore off for me and I can't find much reason to play it nowadays. Simply put, I just don't like the cartoony aesthetic of the game, it's not my style. I don't mind developers trying something new, but this just wasn't a step in the right direction for them, if anything it was quite the opposite. The game just got a little too hard the longer I played it and I got to where I just could not progress anymore because of this and lost interest in it.

Not the worst NFS I have ever played, but it's still pretty low on my list. I tried it again months ago via emulation on my Xbox Series X and while it was kind of refreshing to play without needing a Wii remote, I can't say I have much interest in the game still.

Last edited:
Need For Speed 2015

I got this game for my 18th birthday. Yep, I was excited when I saw that some of my favorite JDM cars, such as a Toyota Supra and a Toyota AE86, and customizations reappeared in it. But in 2017, I lost interest in it.

Reasons:
  • It lacked a way to restart races. This was a waste of time.
  • I had troubles with controlling in it.
  • It didn't have a daytime.
Yep, Need For Speed 2015 was my last Need For Speed game, so I didn’t buy Payback, Heat, and Unbound. Need For Speed 2015 was also my last open-world racing game until I got Forza Horizon 5 a few weeks after getting an Xbox Series X on October 26th 2022.

Last edited:
  • Call of Duty multiplayer
  • Battlefield
  • Overwatch

Hmmm, I wonder if scummy FOMO Battlepass practices would have anything to do with that? 🤔😂

Lego Island 2 (PS1).
While people love to hate this game, I’ve always liked it since I got it when I was 8 years old. I found it to be pretty enjoyable just exploring the island since it’s so large, I loved the flashy colors it had and I usually get pretty nostalgic just playing it again.

However, maybe it was my age, maybe I was in the wrong mood (which I think is it), or maybe it was because I had already played through the game twice in the past, but upon replaying it again a few months back, it just didn’t hit me like it usually does. I didn't get any intense nostalgia for it and found myself feeling slightly bored with the slow pace of the game. It was starting to sink in that the mini-games were pretty crap, I found myself getting pretty frustrated with some of them and the voice acting is just terrible. And I really wish this wasn't the case because I was really wanting to enjoy it once again as I did in the past, but that feeling just never came to me.

Now don't get me wrong, I still like the game, but it certainly isn't what it once was for me and I really wish I could enjoy it again like I used to.

Last edited:
With two kids and all the mess that life is who has the time?
Sounds like you want a Steam Deck, mate, assuming you don't commute by car anyway. I welcomed my longer train commute when I moved because it means I get an extra 20 minutes a day to play almost whatever I want guilt-free. I'm so looking forward to becoming a taxi for my son like my dad was for me that I bought a 65W cigarette lighter socket charger so I can play while I wait in the car. He's not even 2 yet.

I fell out with FIFA long ago, having been obsessed with it for years. I used to play it all the time, hours every night deciding to take on a (usually Championship level) team, editing the players, adding in whichever young prospects weren’t in the squad, transferring players in and out through the editor. Then when I was happy with it (and I mean, perfect) I’d start a career mode.

And restart that career mode six times because it kept giving me stupid objectives that would clearly get me fired or the fixture list put out two games against the same team in the opening week of the season in league and cup, or something stupid like that. Then play opening game, get infuriated by the scripting, restart said game repeatedly, smash controller after conceding another goal in the sixth minute of three minutes added time after dominating the entire match but seeing every shot blocked…..

Life’s literally too short for FIFA. The only game I’ve ever played that I think deliberately trolls you.

Back