What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,973 comments

At least we already have modern Russian immigrant anthem

And heartbreaking song about Voyager 1

Also something great from our Unbroken neighbors

Another shout out to one of my favourite albums, 'Olias Of Sunhillow' (1976) by Jon Anderson.

The more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced it's a work of genius, and I don't use that phrase lightly.

I'm a massive fan of 1970's era Yes, and I also enjoy many tracks by Jon & Vangelis, though I just can't connect with much of Jon Anderson's solo material, esp. his newer stuff which I really don't like. In fact, this list of solo albums by Yes members is a sobering (and quite amusing) read for any Anderson fan, even though I disagree with the top 5, which IMHO should have 'Olias of Sunhillow' at #1, and 'Fish Out of Water' a close second. The rest pale in comparison IMHO, but Anderson's other solo material - with the exception of some songs from his second solo album 'Song of Seven' - is really quite woeful.

All the more reason, though, to marvel at just how inventive and brilliant 'Olias of Sunhillow' is. And, I think it is a fitting testament to a unique creative talent, even though it was really his only truly great solo album.

After 'Olias', Anderson returned to record the superb 'Going For The One' album with Yes in 1977, and IMO that was the last great Yes album.

In the next couple of years, Jon Anderson would go on to create some wonderful songs (but admittedly not that many...) with Vangelis, before the fire finally went out...

Last edited:
R.I.P. Nik Turner, 82. "We wanted to play the Windsor Sex Olympics but only half the band turned up." -- New Musical Express, September 1972

Hawkwind - Brainstorm

Hawkwind - Master Of The Universe (Heavy Version)

Last edited:
Back