What are you listening to? (V)Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sage
  • 35,487 comments
  • 1,809,055 views
Filled up on more Roberta Flack FLACs as I promised to do above.

First Take - sleeve.webpcover.webpfolder.webpKilling_me_softly_(album_cover).webpcover.webp
 
And of course I can't listen to First Take's opener "Compared To What" without spinning up Les McCann, Eddie Harris and Benny Bailey's spirited reading of the song at the Montreux Jazz Festival on June 21, 1969.


(BTW lyrics like "The President, he's got his war/Folks don't know just what it's for" just sound soooo dated and out of place in 2026. Not... ;))
 
Last edited:
Stevie Wonder- Superstition
 
The Rolling Stones just released this brand new banger 25 minutes ago. Can't believe they are still making music this good at their age; must've sold their souls to you know who, LOL!

 

I'm giving their first two albums a go. Unfortunately, according to Peter Beckett the second one drops the yacht rock angle for a harder edged sound so they could have some songs with which to support Eric Clapton on tour so I don't know whether I'll like it as much.

cover.webpcover.webp

J.C. Crowley looks hilarious on the debut cover. Were I into anonymised profile pictures I'd definitely consider using his.

IMG_20261002_075151.webp


[EDIT] Added interview link.
 
Last edited:
Popped further down the rabbit hole for Beckett's two albums with as bassist for short-lived progtastic band Paladin which (like Osibisa earlier) also employed the services of Roger Dean to design the artwork on their second and final release Charge!.

cover.webpfront.webp

 
Last edited:
Tonic - Thick


Quite the vocal hook that's been repeating through my head since my workout this morning.
 
Last edited:
The Recess Monkeys - My Girl

 
TB
The Recess Monkeys - My Girl

I couldn't quite make out Rick's melody so I looked up the original by Chilliwack.

Beginning to think the Recess Monkeys' version is better.

 
Last edited:


An epic and fiery song for battle.
 
Nick Rattigan seems pretty good from the couple of seconds I sampled but he has a lot of albums which I have no time to catch up on at the moment. Emeka Oxbon's LP is sadly too rare to be available for streaming or download and I may make mp3s from the YouTube video. Project Blue sadly only release on vinyl which is a shame as that Teddy Robin & The Playboys opener sounds like a real banger.
 
Project Blue sadly only release on vinyl which is a shame as that Teddy Robin & The Playboys opener sounds like a real banger.
Fortunately UMG have reissued this comprehensive 1969 compilation which I think covers all four of the Hong Kong garage rockers' releases on Diamond from 1967-1968. I'll be hitting up discogs.com for the album titles and dates as it doesn't have much in the way of discographical info.

cover.webp
 
Last edited:
Fortunately UMG have reissued this comprehensive 1969 compilation which I think covers all four of the Hong Kong garage rockers' releases on Diamond from 1967-1968. I'll be hitting up discogs.com for the album titles and dates as it doesn't have much in the way of discographical info.

View attachment 1569316
That looks good. I’m going to have to see about getting that.
 
My bad. I only found it as streaming sound files and it covers their singles but not all of the album tracks. Sorry and good luck in your search.
Looks like all four of their original Diamond releases are on Apple Music, so I may go that route.
IMG_3891.webp
 
Looks like all four of their original Diamond releases are on Apple Music, so I may go that route.
View attachment 1569331
I'll give the compilation a go and if I like it I'll check out the line albums. Norman Cheng certainly knows his way around a six-string.
 
David Bowie- Let's Dance

Anybody love that old tune? You can dance to the beats in the song.
 
Back