What are your computer specs? Thread.

35.6FPS loss is quite significant regarding Far Cry 4 compared to a 6700K with single Titan X: Link

Far Cry 4 is an unoptimized pile of crap though, not to mention that 90% of the games are mostly GPU bound.
The 6700k does however match the gaming performance of the 5960x in most scenarios, but that (again) has nothing to do with bottlenecking the GPU. It rather has to do that most games do not utilize more than 4 cores and are not fully utilizing the potential of the CPU.

Or are you going to tell me that all of a sudden 40 PCIe lanes (5960x) are worse than 16 PCIe lanes (6700k)? I mean, I never was the best at math, however I still think that 40 is great than 16, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Far Cry 4 is an unoptimized pile of crap though, not to mention that 90% of the games are mostly GPU bound.
The 6700k does however match the gaming performance of the 5960x in most scenarios, but that (again) has nothing to do with bottlenecking the GPU. It rather has to do that most games do not utilize more than 4 cores and are not fully utilizing the potential of the CPU.

Or are you going to tell me that all of a sudden 40 PCIe lanes (5960x) are worse than 16 PCIe lanes (6700k)? I mean, I never was the best at math, however I still think that 40 is great than 16, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
You assured me it ain't a bottleneck. Don't think you know what a bottleneck is going by what your wrote.

Personally prefer higher IPC, clock speeds and better power efficiency. More important for what I use PC for such as web browsing and gaming.
6700k falls behind in Crysis 3 and GTA5 when you put the settings on ultra. Now I'm no speech therapist, but that sounds more like a bottle neck.
GTA5 7.5FPS more for 6700K than 5960X...

You assured me it ain't a bottleneck. Don't think you know what a bottleneck is going by what your wrote.

Personally prefer higher IPC, clock speeds and better power efficiency. More important for what I use PC for such as web browsing and gaming.

Damn, someone tell JayzTwoCents that his 5960x is bottlenecking his 3x Titan X's!

He knows already :lol:: Link

Haha, didn't remember it correctly. With that being said though, and I know I'm repeating myself here, the 5960x does not bottleneck a single Titan X, it simply doesn't. BUT the 6700k is a damn good CPU and in gaming scenarios it shows little to no difference.

But considering that NP also uses his rig for editing, things might be a little different. And again, he got it for a steal, so could we all just come together and actually be happy for the guy? Because, as of right now, I see more hate towards him rather than "Hey dude, that's a great PC!"

Haha, didn't remember it correctly. With that being said though, and I know I'm repeating myself here, the 5960x does not bottleneck a single Titan X, it simply doesn't. BUT the 6700k is a damn good CPU and in gaming scenarios it shows little to no difference.

But considering that NP also uses his rig for editing, things might be a little different. And again, he got it for a steal, so could we all just come together and actually be happy for the guy? Because, as of right now, I see more hate towards him rather than "Hey dude, that's a great PC!"
It does bottleneck as shown by Far Cry 4 and by a big margin compared to a 6700K.

It is a great PC and even better he got it for a good price whatever that may be. Out of interest @NP, do you have cooling for the 950 PRO? I'm hoping when I get around to upgrading my PC, SM951 512GB will stay cool due to the Noctua NH-C14 CPU cooler fans nearby.

NP
If at all, it might be cooled passively by the NH-D15 CPU cooler. I doubt it.

It's running like a champ, so no temperature issues:

View attachment 536978
Concerned by this video given the temperatures reached (Link), my SSD will be really close to a fan though so it will be interesting to see what temperatures it gets to in a similar kind of test, hopefully not as high as 110C!

If you're worried about saving power you're not gonna have a Titan X.

If you're worried about saving power you're not gonna have a Titan X.
Why not? It's really power efficient.

perfwatt_1920.gif

So at the last minute I decided to cancel my FX-6300 and 750w PSU orders and go with 8300 and 850w.

Not sure the FX-8300 was really worth it, but the 850w PSU is definitely better... in addition to the extra wattage, it's modular and 80 Plus Gold instead of Bronze.

Build #1 Gaming system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Corsair Neutron XT 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Build #2 Backup fun/internet machine

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6300 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler [on shopping list] / currently using Silverstone TD03-E 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Reference Leadtek nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB (temporary until an upgrade on build #1 relegates the 970 FTW+ and so it will be relegated to build #3)
Case: Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition ATX Mid Tower Case [on shopping list] / currently using NZXT Beta Evo ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply [on shopping list] / currently using Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Build #3 LGA775 benchmarking fun system (chips are cheap as chips these days. lol)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 / E8500 / P4 650 / Celeron 336
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler (will inherit the Silverstone TD03-E from build #2)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Memory: G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK [x2 = 8GB]
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive I will probably get a 120GB SSD for OS later in the year.
Case: On the bench for now but will re-inherit and return to the NZXT Beta Evo ATX Mid Tower Case from build #2
Power Supply: Winpower ATX-650 (cheap: YES / Nasty: Not so much) it does OK, but of course this system will be re-inheriting the Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply from build #2 upon upgrades.

Also I have numerous s478 chips and motherboards with many spare 512MB/1GB sticks of Kingston Value DDR laying around, a Western Digital 320GB Blue, and another WinPower ATX-550L PSU which is a marvelous green model.

:eek: :D

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been touched in ages.

I am still torturing a very old X58 platform HT/Gaming PC. My i7 920 CPU is finally beginning to show some minor signs of struggling, but then again it is an 8 year old CPU trying to feed a 980Ti and run the latest AAA demanding games. It has served me extremely well and probably could for a couple more years yet.

Any newer generation of CPU is going to require a new motherboard and RAM and probably PSU, so that's the majority of the PC that would need replacing. I don't want to spend that kind of money, so instead I've just purchased a Xeon X5670, they're really cheap for a 6c/12t CPU (£70) that can overclock into the 4.5Ghz range, and it will use less power and run cooler than my current CPU to boot. Can't wait to see how it holds up to the newer generation i7's.

New Specs! :D

Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 ATX Motherboard ‑ LGA1150 Socket
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA1150 [OC to 4.2GHz]
Corsair H100i
GTX 1060 Founder Edition - [OC 225MHz]
G.SKILL AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
120GB Samsung Evo 840
1TB HDD
CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE [Modular PSU]
Windows 10

Old Specs
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87
PSU: Corsair CX series CX750 750W
CPU: i4770k 3.5GHz [Stock Clock]
CPU Cooling: H100i
Ram: G.SKILL AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling GeForce GTX 770 2GB
SSD: 120GB Samsung Evo 840
HDD: 1TB

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24" [144Hz/1ms]
Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4
Mouse: ROCCAT Savu
Mouse Pad: ROCCAT TAITO 3mm Mini-Size Gaming Mousepad
Controller: Sony DS4
Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Ohh, you're one of those people huh? :odd::cheers: I friend of mine is a huge storageaholic. Has two server towers filled with over 50tb worth of drives. About 8k worth of storage. I think he is trying to compete with YouTube for the most amount of useless content.

Ohh, you're one of those people huh? :odd::cheers: I friend of mine is a huge storageaholic. Has two server towers filled with over 50tb worth of drives. About 8k worth of storage. I think he is trying to compete with YouTube for the most amount of useless content.
Yep... you can never have too much storage or useless content. When the internet explodes, I'll still have Wikipedia, along with my own Netflix, Youtube and Spotify equivalents. :lol:

@TB Shhhh...

My PCPartPicker.net PC:

Tower: Fractual Design Define R4 {Black Pearl} ATX Mid-Tower
Motherboard
: GigaByte GA-Z97X Gaming-X {LGA1150}
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: MSi GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC
RAM
: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
CPU Cooler: Silverstone TD02-LITE 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Total Price: $1,128.80

The reason why I want this is for game research, hexing, etc. I think it is pretty reasonable. However, it is expensive as of now I don't have the monies yet.

Caught white-handed.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

As I've been saying in the premium gaming thread, I've got two 512GB SSDs and one 256, I'm slowly working my way up to four 512s and an M.2 drive, but I'll probably hold off on my third 512 until I get a copy of Windows 10. And that'll come after a GTX 1060, if I ever get paid back some money I lent...

Back