Case: InWin Mana 134
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler: AMD Wraith Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M.
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060
RAM: 4 X 8GB Cosair Vengeance 3200 MHz
Storage:Seagate Barracuda 510 NVMe 1TB + SK Hynix S1 1TB
PSU: EVGA 650W GQ
Cooling: 2 x 140 mm fans in the front, 1x 120 mm in the back, 2 x 120 mm side fans.

Wow, that looks super clean. Definitely have to keep my mind open to trying a custom watercooling loop next time I swap out anything significant or if I ever decide to move to a new case.

Thank you. There are so many guides online that you can really demystify the process.

I built the system and ran it on the stock coolers initially, letting everything bed in, before installing the water loop. I went with soft tubing for the ease of installation. I do think about putting in PETG hardline to clean it up, and I do like straight, parallel lines. I may well do that around the turn of the year, when it will be due for a flush & fluid refresh anyway.

Desktop:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 4 core @ 3.5 GHz
RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (EVGA) 4GB
HDD: Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, WD 1TB Blue HDD
Motherboard: Asus Z97-P
Case: Corsair something I forgot
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse: Logitech G602

My current laptop:
Make/Model: Asus GL65 Leopard
CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB
HDD: Samsung 512GB M.2 SSD (OEM), WD 2TB Blue HDD
Mouse: Logitech G604

I feel a bit embarrassed to post them but here's mine:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 Ghz
Mobo: Asus Prime B450M-K
RAM: T-Force 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Thermaltake 700W
SSD: Crucial 250 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Case: Thermaltake V250

Keyboard: Sharkoon Skiller Mech SGK3
Mouse: Razer Deathadder White Edition
Headset: Sennheiser Game One
Monitor: MSI MAG241C 24'

Hueueueueue...
Miss Underprivileged coming through.

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz
Mobo: Whatever comes standard with the Optiplex 330
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: Integrated Graphics
PSU: Not sure
SSD: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HDD: Not sure of the brand but it's a 1TB (and I have partitions)
Optical Drives: DVD+RW
Case: Optiplex 330

Keyboard: Verbatim Cheap-o USB with Euro key placements
Mouse: Logitech M100 USB
Headset: NOPE
Speakers: Old-ass Boston stereo speakers that are starting to weaken
Monitor: DELL (something) 5:4 LCD monitor
Accessories:

Gamepad: Currently using a wired Xbox 360 gamepad but I want to get another PowerA wired PS3 gamepad because I loved that one
USB Hubs: 2
Card Reader: PNY USB 2.0 multi-reader (3 USB ports)

Hueueueueue...
Miss Underprivileged coming through.

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz
Mobo: Whatever comes standard with the Optiplex 330
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: Integrated Graphics
PSU: Not sure
SSD: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Optical Drives: DVD+RW
Case: Optiplex 330

Keyboard: Verbatim Cheap-o USB with Euro key placements
Mouse: Logitech M100 USB
Headset: NOPE
Speakers: Old-ass Boston stereo speakers that are starting to weaken
Monitor: DELL (something) 5:4 LCD monitor
Accessories:

Gamepad: Currently using a wired Xbox 360 gamepad but I want to get another PowerA wired PS3 gamepad because I loved that one
USB Hubs: 2
Card Reader: PNY USB 2.0 multi-reader (3 USB ports)
Nevermind "Can it run Crysis?", can it run Windows?

CPU: Intel i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
GPU: HD 2000 (probably planning on getting something like a GT 740)
RAM: 4GB DDR3
SSD: don't have one, probably will never want or get one
HDD: some Seagates 160GB 7200RPM HDD
PSU: dunno
Optical drives: DVD+RW/CD-RW
Case: HP Compaq Ultra-slim

Keyboard: some A+Office keyboard
Mouse: the above, except it's a mouse
Headset: Ultrasone HS-15, picking up dust because I never actually use them besides for the built-in microphone, because not being able to hear my surroundings very well and having sound shoved into my ear messes with my paranoia
Speakers: Canyon CNR-FSP01 loudspeakers (god these suck, I want my old Logitech speakers I was using in like 2010 back)
Monitor: Telefunken something 16:9 LCD TV

Gamepads: two DS4s and two Fartmasters Dual Analog 3's, I almost never use though because I prefer keyboard

I can run Windows 7 and ePSXe (ew) with it I guess.
i kind of felt sorry reading your specs but then I got to that line, I'm jealous now :D

Case: NZXT H510
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i V2
RAM: 64gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual
Fans: 2x NZXT Aer F 120mm (come with the case)
SSD: 2tb Corsair Force MP600 M.2
HDDs: 2tb Western Digital Blue, 1tb Hitachi Deskstar
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650w

Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG249UQ
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE
Mousepad: Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB
Speakers: Some cheap Insignias that are actually pretty decent
Headset: None (don't typically need one since I don't often play online)
VR Headset: Oculus Rift CV1
Mic: Rode Procaster converted to USB via PreSonus AudioBox USB preamp, with background noise reduction via Nvidia RTX Voice
Webcam: Logitech Brio

Last edited:
Okay, so, I've mentioned it before in another thread but I'm about ready to get a new PC.

Don't want to build it myself but I've spec'd one based on a surprisingly little research!

The main spec I have is...

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core 4.7GHz 70MB Cache AM4
Corsair H115i Hydro Pro cooling
64Gb Corsair DDR 3200MHz (4×16Gb)
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X motherboard
8GB Geforce RTX 2070 Super GPU
512GB M.2 PCIe SSD for OS, 6TB Seagate for stuff (might go for a 2TB and 4TB for reasons)
Corsair 550W PSU

There's extras too, so the whole lot is >£2k, but I want something that will perform well now and still be decent in a few years time.

Any comments? I'm I missing anything obvious? I'm not a total noob, but last time I really got involved with the insides of a PC, it was running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11.

Last edited:
Okay, so, I've mentioned it before in another thread but I'm about ready to get a new PC.

Don't want to build it myself but I've spec'd one based on a surprisingly little research!

512GB M.2 PCIe SSD for OS, 6TB Seagate for stuff (might go for a 2TB and 4TB for reasons)
Corsair 550W PSU

There's extras too, so the whole lot is >£2k, but I want something that will perform well now and still be decent in a few years time.

Any comments? I'm I missing anything obvious? I'm not a total noob, but last time I really got involved with the insides of a PC, it was running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11.
Go for the RTX 3070/3080 GPU instead of 2070. Not that huge gap in price increase, but alot better performance.
And a 750W PSU if so.

Corsair 550W PSU

What @Phoenix said about the PSU.

As a side note, your rig is more or less my ultimate end goal PC build. I just don't feel like completely starting over to build a PC of that caliber yet.

Go for the RTX 3070/3080 GPU instead of 2070. Not that huge gap in price increase, but alot better performance.

Ah, that's a dilemma. I'm already over budget, and the availability date of the 3070 puts the build into November at the earliest. I suppose if I wait, I'll have the extra money! Hmmm... the 3080 is definitely too much £££. The 3070 and an up-rated PSU is £2300 with everything else... £2k was my absolute max when I started looking :D

As a side note, your rig is more or less my ultimate end goal PC build. I just don't feel like completely starting over to build a PC of that caliber yet.

It'll be the first PC I've ever bought new in 25 years of using them, and the first time I've really gone all out for performance. I don't like the idea of working around an upgrade path, so although it's A LOT of money to spend, I'd rather do it right on the first go.

Corsair 550W PSU

For the sort of cash you're investing in this, I would recommend you find a Corsair Vengeance RAM kit running at 3600MHz. It's not that much more cash and Ryzen loves DRAM clocks.

Also, if you can possibly swing it, go with a 1TB system drive. I think 512GB is a bit limiting these days.

Self-building is fairly straightforward, and there are loads of videos to watch which will show you how it's done. And it feels great to boot up a PC you've built yourself

I would recommend you find a Corsair Vengeance RAM kit running at 3600MHz. It's not that much more cash and Ryzen loves DRAM clocks.

If it's 32Gb @ 3600MHz, verus 64Gb @ 3200MHz what's likely to be better for overall system performance?

Also, if you can possibly swing it, go with a 1TB system drive. I think 512GB is a bit limiting these days.

I've run on the assumption it'd only have the Operating system on it, and maybe the odd other program. My current computer has all installs on the primary disk and that occupies <200Gb. I can handle the access times associated with storage on a conventional HDD so photos, movies and music don't need to be on the SSD at all (do they?)

Self-building is fairly straightforward, and there are loads of videos to watch which will show you how it's done. And it feels great to boot up a PC you've built yourself

I've refrained from even looking up how much it may save me. My fear is when I come to that first boot up, I get a BSOD and have to spend weeks trying to sort out a PC I'll never be convinced is running quite right.

I've refrained from even looking up how much it may save me. My fear is when I come to that first boot up, I get a BSOD and have to spend weeks trying to sort out a PC I'll never be convinced is running quite right.

I had the same fear when I built my PC. The only issue I had was forgetting to switch on the PSU.

If it's 32Gb @ 3600MHz, verus 64Gb @ 3200MHz what's likely to be better for overall system performance

Depends, what are you using this PC for? If games, get 2x8GB DIMMs then add 2 more when they're a) cheaper and b) necessary. I wouldn't go for 2x16GB because I think DDR5 will be phased out and you'll replace your CPU before you even need 32GB, much less 64, meaning the RAM you have will all need to be replaced anyway.

Then again maybe you're doing 3D rendering or 8K video editing or something, in which case 64GB is probably useful. But until you actually need more RAM than you have, any extra RAM would make no difference (as long as you're using all your channels, which is why you use pairs of smaller DIMMs instead of one big one).

Also, on a more general note, if you are just using it for games then don't have a ridiculous amount of storage because if you fill it with games you'll just have hundreds of patches to download for stuff you aren't playing, so I'd recommend a 1TB Samsung 860 QVO (the 870 just came out but the 860 is better value) to go with the M.2 one. SSDs are silent, way faster and more efficient...

Your PSU choice is good, but you should be aware that the PSU is one area where spending more is beneficial. Their peak efficiency is at around 50% load so generally speaking the higher peak power you get, the less energy it wastes (if that's important to you, it's unlikely it would ever pay for itself but it's more green), also the capacitors age slower at lower demand so a higher-rated PSU would live longer.

Depends, what are you using this PC for? If games, get 2x8GB DIMMs then add 2 more when they're a) cheaper and b) necessary. I wouldn't go for 2x16GB because I think DDR5 will be phased out and you'll replace your CPU before you even need 32GB, much less 64, meaning the RAM you have will all need to be replaced anyway.

Then again maybe you're doing 3D rendering or 8K video editing or something, in which case 64GB is probably useful. But until you actually need more RAM than you have, any extra RAM would make no difference (as long as you're using all your channels, which is why you use pairs of smaller DIMMs instead of one big one).

I thought this would be usage dependent... and that's a toughy. My only real benchmark at the moment will be Cities: Skylines, which more than maxes out the 12Gb I have in this computer, so 32 is probably the minimum, but, I don't think for the other creative stuff I do (or want to do) I'll really need 64, it was more about having the overhead further down the line. I gave up on 3D rendering projects and any other PC games some time ago due to the performance of this PC. I guess I just want options. There may be some VR in the future if Microprose pull their finger out.

Also, on a more general note, if you are just using it for games then don't have a ridiculous amount of storage because if you fill it with games you'll just have hundreds of patches to download for stuff you aren't playing, so I'd recommend a 1TB Samsung 860 QVO (the 870 just came out but the 860 is better value) to go with the M.2 one. SSDs are silent, way faster and more efficient...

I've got a lot of stuff that I'd like to organise better, it's currently all spread across 3 internal drives and 1 external drive, so where I'd like one drive dedicated to my photo's, they're currently spread across 2 and half with some not backed up. And, if there's anything I'd be more comfortable with doing down the line it would switching out the storage drives for SSD's as they become cheaper. I have a thing about having multiple drives to work with on the basis of losing stuff to drive failures before.

In a lot of places, I've discussed that I don't have the PC to play a lot of modern titles. Here is my chance to finally share some of the specifications of my PC based on some program I've used. Bear in mind I got this PC back in 2014. So here goes:

* Name: Aspire XC-603G (Acer Aspire XC-603G-UW30)
* GPU: Intel Celeron J1900 quad-core 1.99 GHz
* RAM: 4GB RAM (4096MB RAM)
* Intel(R) Celeron(R) J1900 @ 1.99GHz @ 2.00GHz 2044 MB
* Storage: SATA 2 - 3Gb/s
* External drive bay: 1 x 5.25" Internal drive bay: 1 x 3.5"
* Graphics Card: Intel Intel(R) HD Graphics Card 4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4276

* 1792 MB total memory
* 64 VRAM display memory
* no HDR support

Again- this is a 2014 PC I use. It came equipped with Windows 8.1 (which I don't miss) and since runs Windows 10 after I downloaded and installed Win10. It is also the first PC I paid for with my own money. If I had the money and patience, I'd build my own PC. Games like "Assetto Corsa" and "BeamNG.Drive" run very slow on my PC even despite toning down settings to pretty much the lowest settings. Recent builds of Minecraft have also slown down my PC. These days, I feel 8GB of RAM is more than enough for a lot of today's games, though some have 4GB RAM as their minimal settings. I'd like to get myself a PC with an Intel processor of about i3 or higher- pretty much the basic processor for iRacing. I don't play iRacing, I'm just using it as a reference. it still runs most everything else fairly well.

So now you know my PC specs.

So... I think that today I finally reached the pinnacle of overclocking on my PC :D

But first, specs:

PC specs.png

Today's 3D Mark Time Spy Stress Test result:

Annotation 2020-09-08 081846.png

Annotation 2020-09-08 082342.png

Annotation 2020-09-08 082437.png

...but there's always some room for improvement :mischievous: :

Annotation 2020-09-08 111016.png

Last edited:
I tried to resist the temptation, but I finally caved and built a new rig.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 w/stock cooler (Old: FX-8300)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH Wi-Fi (Old: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x16GB DDR4 3200 (Old: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 4x8GB DDR3 1866)
Case: NZXT H510 (Old: Corsair Carbide 330R)

Parts that I reused from my old PC:

GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB (I'll upgrade this eventually, as it'll be the bottleneck for gaming... the low VRAM in particular is a sore spot.)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
PSU: Corsair RM850X

Might post pics after I get off work later tonight.

Maybe not the wisest time to upgrade my GPU since the RTX 30 series has been announced and new AMD GPUs are also on the horizon, but as an addendum to my recent build... I've gone ahead and ordered a Radeon 5700 XT. I just know that any new GPUs are gonna be a bitch to get ahold of (Cryptocurrency miners are already swarming), and I imagine a lot of people will be snapping up previous gen GPUs as consolation prizes after they also fail to secure one of the new models... so I figure I might as well be ahead of the curve there.

Maybe not the wisest time to upgrade my GPU since the RTX 30 series has been announced and new AMD GPUs are also on the horizon, but as an addendum to my recent build... I've gone ahead and ordered a Radeon 5700 XT. I just know that any new GPUs are gonna be a bitch to get ahold of (Cryptocurrency miners are already swarming), and I imagine a lot of people will be snapping up previous gen GPUs as consolation prizes after they also fail to secure one of the new models... so I figure I might as well be ahead of the curve there.
Yeah used markets are overloaded with 2070's, 2080's and 2080 Ti's now. Could get a great deal on those cards if not going all in on the new ones.

Like the 2080 Ti's have dropped 50-65% in price the last week. :lol:

EVGA had a bunch of B stock 1080tis for $350 USD. It's going to be an insane time to build once the 3000 series comes out.

Been putting together the parts and pieces for my new build over the last month or so and have everything here or on its way with the exception of the new 30 series Nvidia graphics card of course. Looking and hoping to score a 3080 on launch day to complete this but will just have to keep my fingers crossed.
The rest of my build is;
CPU- Intel 10700k
CPU Cooler- Noctura NH-15 Chromax Black
MB- Z490 Asus Rog STRIX E Gaming
Ram- Gskill Ripjaws 32g, 3200 14-14-14-34 CAS 14
Boot ssd- WD Black750 1tb nvme
Storage ssd- AData 8200x Pro 2tb nvme
PSU- Seasonic full modular GX750 gold
Case- Lian Li Lan Cool 2 performance mesh
OS- Windows 10 64 Pro
This system will be used for nothing but gaming so no unneeded programs or processes unrelated to gaming needs directly will be installed to slow the system down or clog up the the system.
Looking forward to trying out some VR for racing and combat flight sims in the near future and will probably order the G2 when it gets a little closer to actual release.
I feel like this will be a solid build that should last a few years performance wise.

Sorry, I've only just seen your post

If it's 32Gb @ 3600MHz, verus 64Gb @ 3200MHz what's likely to be better for overall system performance?

32GB at 3600MHz will be faster for every scenario that doesn't need 33GB RAM. I have 32GB in this system and I rarely get close to the ceiling, even when working with video, although I'm not really working on videos longer than 15 minutes.

I've run on the assumption it'd only have the Operating system on it, and maybe the odd other program. My current computer has all installs on the primary disk and that occupies <200Gb. I can handle the access times associated with storage on a conventional HDD so photos, movies and music don't need to be on the SSD at all (do they?)

Fair enough. It all depends on your workloads. I have a sizeable Lightroom catalogue (100k photos), where the catalogue itself is on the NVMe drive and the photos live on spinning rust. That works well. The majority of your programs don't need to be on the faster storage, but games definitely like it, and you want to have things you're actively working on on your fastest media.

Again, this is fair enough. Look at the cost of having someone else build it as a "risk avoidance service." That most definitely has value.

@GilesGuthrie

Thanks for the advice.

Fair enough. It all depends on your workloads. I have a sizeable Lightroom catalogue (100k photos), where the catalogue itself is on the NVMe drive and the photos live on spinning rust. That works well. The majority of your programs don't need to be on the faster storage, but games definitely like it, and you want to have things you're actively working on on your fastest media.

To be honest, unless I've messed up something fundamental (like that time I turned down the screen brightness on my camera accidentally, and consequently over exposed everything I shot that day) I do very little photo editing, and I'm certainly no pro. I suspect my workflow would be dumping the pictures off the camera onto the SSD, keeping them there while I sort through them (I append a 'g' to the file name of photo's I class as 'good'), and do any editing if I feel it is required to rescue something, and once I've sorted them, dump them all in suitable folders on the big storage drive. Any 3D work I do will take up very little space anyway (small projects, one at a time) so I can run with that on the SSD with no worries, and as yet, there's no real video editing work to speak of.

Back