What are your realistic expectations in terms of visuals and audio simulation in GT7?

• Thread starter ArR29
  • 135 comments
Philippines
Philippines
I expect it to have dynamic time and weather. 3D trees and vegetations with physics. Ray tracing and 4k 60fps gameplay.
2016052014131744734.jpg

PD made a huge leap when it comes to sound simulation in GTSport but it's highly inconsistent. Some cars are very good, some aren't. I expect GT7 to have more realistic sounds across the board, more details, and 3D audio support.

This is not a wishlist thread. I made a thread about GT7 graphics and audio but I don't know where it went. Haha

I expect 4k 60hz mode without ray tracing and a 1800p 60hz mode checkerboarded in 4k with raytracing or 120hz without raytracing. Other than that i expect better textures and vegetation,better car lods, full dynamic time of day and weather with volumetric clouds and dynamic puddles that will gradually form on the road surface and gradually dry out when the sun comes out

Imagine a race from sunset to midnight, with moments of rain. 24 cars on the starting grid. You're on pole and can see the headlights of every car behind you (not just 4 or 5), with their respective shadows and bounce light/reflections. In HDR, 4k at 60fps.

Sound? Harder to describe. Just a wider range and more better tweaking options in the menu m.

3D trees and vegetations with physics.
Honestly this part is what I am pretty curious about what they meant, after all the GT Sport Product info clearly had something to say about "see every leaf sway with the wind" and the only swaying leafs or grass you can see is when a car bypass with speed in certain tracks with high level grass part.

But I cannot find that information about the leafs swaying anymore so I dont know if they removed it.

We have yet to see actual three leafs swaying with the wind in a Gran Turismo Title.
Its kinda a neat little detail I would like to see in the next title.

Graphics I expect nontheless to be upgraded but I also hope for sound to reach a much higher quality given what we currently have is already a good indication of what we can expect and further improved on.

Honestly this part is what I am pretty curious about what they meant, after all the GT Sport Product info clearly had something to say about "see every leaf sway with the wind" and the only swaying leafs or grass you can see is when a car bypass with speed in certain tracks with high level grass part.

But I cannot find that information about the leafs swaying anymore so I dont know if they removed it.

We have yet to see actual three leafs swaying with the wind in a Gran Turismo Title.
Its kinda a neat little detail I would like to see in the next title.

Graphics I expect nontheless to be upgraded but I also hope for sound to reach a much higher quality given what we currently have is already a good indication of what we can expect and further improved on.
I guess that's what they originally planned but wasn't able to implement due to poor performance. The early build of GTsport they've shown in public runs around 40-60fps.

More active wildlife, interactive trackside avatars-officals/emergency services/track attendees(flag waving in the stands)/entertainment.

More casted shadows of cars, at night.

Fields full of 3D grass and flowers that respond realistically to wind would be nice. The current flat grass textures with some 2D blades here and there are really ugly and clash with the stuff on the track that recieve the special lighting treatment.

It was a while ago but wasn't there some kind of object autogen software that PD or Sony were working on? I don't remember the details but maybe that can be used in some way to fill in the really empty original tracks like Saint-Croix if they're going to make a return. Anyone know where that article is or what the software was called?

After the Unreal Engine 5 tech demo on an early devkit of PS5,i have big expectations for the next game.

The question is:
Is PD already or is planning to incorporate Unreal Engine 5 on the next GT, or are they still sticking to their own way of development from GTS?

The next GT with UE would be so good ! Unless PD has something better...

The question is:
Is PD already or is planning to incorporate Unreal Engine 5 on the next GT, or are they still sticking to their own way of development from GTS?

The next GT with UE would be so good ! Unless PD has something better...

UE is impressive but PD's engine is specialized for one specific game. UE is a general purpose game engine targeted to run across platforms for multiple type of games. What EPIC acheived in their demo is noting PD cannot do. Infact, PD can do better as they only have to optimize for one type of hardware and one type of game.

BUT that does not mean that the next GT can have as detailed environments as the ones in the UE demo, the major issue is 60 fps. 60 fps means that PD will have half the resources to render each frame compared to 30 fps. Poor texture quality used to be an issue for racing games due to limited ram and poor storage speeds, the ram issue is still going to be there but the insanely quick storage speed means much better quality textures can be streamed in.

IMO GT7 will be an evolution of GTS in visuals as I am certain that it is going to be a cross gen title. So we're going to get better resolution raytraced car reflections (The raytracing power in PS5 is not enough to do anything more ambitious) more track side details compared to the PS4 version. Things like time of day are possible but unlikely. If they do decide to incorporate TOD, the visual quality on PS4 will be lower than that of GTS.

I don't expect the PS5 games to be native 4K, the initial cross gen games might be native 4k but the games that will be developed specifically for the next gen consoles will have a dynamic resolution of 1440p - 1800p with some kind of upscaling. The PS5 is simply not powerful enough to give both a generation leap in visuals along with a native 4k resolution. I don't think a 2080ti can do that either.

I do have one prediction, if the PS6 generation of consoles are ~8 times more powerful as the upcoming ones. The main limiting factor in graphics will no longer be the hardware but the art direction/artistic effort. That gen will truly be capable of native 4K 60 photorealistic graphics.

I hope for maybe a better sense of speed maybe because of more moving elements on the side of tracks. Bigger scope maps with open roads. 3d audio is really exciting... I think a big leap can be taken there in the realism of engine sounds. I hope this will mean industry leading sounds

My expectation is that if they target 240fps, like Yamauchi-san have said, it will look worse than GT Sport, and we can forget about dynamic weather and day/night cycles.

Last edited:
A bit more detailed surroundings, but with dynamic all, weather, day/night... would be the right thing... Also adding finally more then 16 players (let us recreate 24h Nurburgring, LeMans etc), multiclass racing... a lot more...

4k... hm, would be nice, but TBH with distance to monitro/TV when playing GT games, 1440p would be good, but hitting 60fps. What I'd maybe like more is multimonitor support, or/and ultrawide screen support. VR, would be also on the list (but not only as single player experience).

I just hope they don't sacrifice dynamic tod, dynamic weather and adequate grid sizes (at least 40) for overall graphics (again). Just give me GTS graphics with those features and more possibilities in VR and I'm happy.

Bringing this back because it was completely ignored.
It was a while ago but wasn't there some kind of object autogen software that PD or Sony were working on? I don't remember the details but maybe that can be used in some way to fill in the really empty original tracks like Saint-Croix if they're going to make a return. Anyone know where that article is or what the software was called?
I'll add that I may be wrong about how it could be used.

Oh, and I expect those glitchy shadows cast by wings during intense noon sunlight to be fixed.

I think it will looks only slightly better than GT Sport but with added Dynamic Time Of Day and Weather + full PS VR mode. This is my expectations.

This is what I heard about audio.. imagine a game features rain.. with the PS5 Tempest engine (that is an entirely seperate chip outside of the Zen 2 CPUs and GPU) if there was a rain storm for example, the sound can literally be conveyed to you as though there are literally millions of drops falling all around you. Literally. The stuff Cerny speaks to is a game changer in sound. And you dont even need a 7.1 channel setup to experience it. It works all the way from TV speakers up to 5.1 to 7.1 to headphones. The Tempest engine is just that powerful. Apparently it by itself is more powerful than all 8 Jaguar CPUs inside the PS4! So.. we're getting serious audio tech and it's proprietry to PS5.

As for Visuals, PD can finally not eat GPU power to do physics! I remember Kaz saying the team had to leverage GPGPU to get the GPU to run physics for the most part. Well, the PS5 CPUs are about 600% more powerful than PS4, I think every drop of juice in the GPU and the massive capabilities of that SSD (5500MB/s and 9000MB/S with compression) we will literally see a GT that is close to photo realism (Looking at the textures in the Epic games demo without any LOD loading when you look away or load up as you approach)...

GT 7 has potential to be at minimum todays Sports Scapes models on track.. to photo realism defined gaming. Of it all, like someone mentioned above, that Epic Games demo was running on an "early dev kit"
In the demo, they say each statue has 15million polygons... and there 500 of them simultaneously in that room that didn't need to load up,the detail as crisp for each and every one. No texture loading, no tricks to mask detail. All 15 million poly's each. I am sure... GT Sport Scape models dont have anything near 15 million polygons per a car.... So having 500 statues with more polygons that GT Sports models are telling for the kind of detail PD can achieve.

I am convinced... this next generation.. it's all about how far devs/artists want to take it. And this is why I think Cerny's angle of simplifying game development is going to help first and 3rd parties make better graphics more efficiently.

I got high hopes Kaz, I know the hardware can handle it, it's a matter of Polyphony harnessing it all correctly.

Last edited:
Well I think just with the PS5's new tech, like the geometry engine, and other optimizations, they should be able to hit 4k60 with same amount of performance as PS4 Pro.

But considering how much more performance they'll have, higher LoD cars in races should be guaranteed, maybe new tech will allow them to fully make use of photomode level mesh and to adjust them live based on camera distance. Trackside detail is already good as is, only thing that could be improved is more 3d trees and some more trackside detail and effects like having trees and grass sway in wind, to make it seem like a more lively environment.
Also it should probably help them remove all visible pop-in, both in main and rearview cameras and enable them to have higher resolution shadows.

Full weather and time system should be back and better than ever, I'm sure, because only thing that stopped them from having it in GT Sport is realtime GI, which are now possible to do due to raytracing capabilities and should look even better than prebaked GT Sport tracks.
It should still have plenty of perofrmance left to do full raytracing. Even though its probably unnecessary, because they're PD, I think they'll have it full RT, no rasterization at all, like they showed in 2018 presentation.

And for audio, I think GT Sport sounds just fine during gameplay, only thing could be more sounds for effects and more ambient noises. During replays it sounds like theres bit too much echo and its not loud enough, but they already done the reverb and everything else to sound correct, so now if they move all that processing to tempest audio cpu, it should make it sound a lot better, with also freeing main cpu to use that extra performace for physics, AI or something else.

All this of course if they announce GT7. I think they'll stick with enhanced GT Sport on PS5 because of eSports and amount of players and release GT7 later in 2021. Dont think they'd have a full new GT7 with only sport mode being same as GTS, cause that would not make use of all the new cars that would be introduced, would be bad for marketing and sales of PS5 and GT7, as well as would require them updating 2 games at same time. Hope im wrong on this last thing.

This is what I heard about audio.. imagine a game features rain.. with the PS5 Tempest engine (that is an entirely seperate chip outside of the Zen 2 CPUs and GPU) if there was a rain storm for example, the sound can literally be conveyed to you as though there are literally millions of drops falling all around you. Literally. The stuff Cerny speaks to is a game changer in sound. And you dont even need a 7.1 channel setup to experience it. It works all the way from TV speakers up to 5.1 to 7.1 to headphones. The Tempest engine is just that powerful. Apparently it by itself is more powerful than all 8 Jaguar CPUs inside the PS4! So.. we're getting serious audio tech and it's proprietry to PS5.

As for Visuals, PD can finally not eat GPU power to do physics! I remember Kaz saying the team had to leverage GPGPU to get the GPU to run physics for the most part. Well, the PS5 CPUs are about 600% more powerful than PS4, I think every drop of juice in the GPU and the massive capabilities of that SSD (5500MB/s and 9000MB/S with compression) we will literally see a GT that is close to photo realism (Looking at the textures in the Epic games demo without any LOD loading when you look away or load up as you approach)...

GT 7 has potential to be at minimum todays Sports Scapes models on track.. to photo realism defined gaming. Of it all, like someone mentioned above, that Epic Games demo was running on an "early dev kit"
In the demo, they say each statue has 15million polygons... and there 500 of them simultaneously in that room that didn't need to load up,the detail as crisp for each and every one. No texture loading, no tricks to mask detail. All 15 million poly's each. I am sure... GT Sport Scape models dont have anything near 15 million polygons per a car.... So having 500 statues with more polygons that GT Sports models are telling for the kind of detail PD can achieve.

I am convinced... this next generation.. it's all about how far devs/artists want to take it. And this is why I think Cerny's angle of simplifying game development is going to help first and 3rd parties make better graphics more efficiently.

I got high hopes Kaz, I know the hardware can handle it, it's a matter of Polyphony harnessing it all correctly.

Good points but don’t forget the UE5 scales the objects to meet the target resolution. Yes, the statues are compiled of 15 000 polygons, however the actual amount of polygons depends on other factors. And so long as this adaptive scalability works, you can put pretty much any number of these statues in the scene, the final polygon count will be roughly the same. It’s basically like a super-adaptive LOD system as far as I understand.

Btw: I feel like GT7 will finally beat DriveClub’s weather effects :) no other game has so far.

Back