What are your realistic expectations in terms of visuals and audio simulation in GT7?

• Thread starter ArR29
  • 135 comments
Thanks. It looks exactly the same during gameplay wtf?
No worries, here's a colour corrected version which matches the colour balance a bit better:

AURPriV.gif

It’s pretty much what I expected. The graphics are still great and it looks like it runs at more fps. Just need to see dynamic time of day and weather, but I’m thinking this is unlikely. I hope I’m wrong.

based on what you both are saying, there is a good chance that we will have dynamic time and weather... although we didn't see the options within the track selection screen...

full

Hoping to see more from Kaz/PD/GT7...
Those clouds in the trailer... the way they generate...
I know Ghosts Of Tsushima has a cloud system where it simulates in real time, bo two clouds will ever be the same, you will never see tge same cloud twice in Ghost, I'm think PD has a similar cloud system now.. the way it moved in the trailer,it looked procedurally generated to me. So... if they have that, why not dynamic time? They have the horsepower for it.

Realistic expectations? Nothing different from GT Sport, maybe just the graphics because of the PS5 hardware, of course, but nothing exceptional...
Same audio.

Those clouds in the trailer... the way they generate...
I know Ghosts Of Tsushima has a cloud system where it simulates in real time, bo two clouds will ever be the same, you will never see tge same cloud twice in Ghost, I'm think PD has a similar cloud system now.. the way it moved in the trailer,it looked procedurally generated to me. So... if they have that, why not dynamic time? They have the horsepower for it.
The sun also seems to be moving in the trailer (It's hard to say for sure, as it is not a huge amount, and the camera is moving too, but I think it does move).
The most important thing is that the lighting isn't baked, but all dynamic from the clouds, which means changing ToD and weather shouldn't be an issue.

My expectations are simple, the sense of speed and making my ears bleed from a howling V12 engine and i'll be happy chappy. Make use of the PS5's Tempest Engine that Cerny keeps blabbing about. Also some assets don't look at good as DRIVECLUB, which is still a 2011-14 game! Jeez I don't get PD's logic sometimes.

driveclouds91yw4.gif

untitled-7gauai.gif

A game that kinda felt overrefined, which GT7 should be. :mischievous:

I wonder what the target release date is. Even the track textures are bad and don't look better than GTSport. That plus some of the 2D tree assets are literally ripped from the PS4 GTSport. Very underwhelming graphics when PD used to blow minds.

GT7
gt7tree2gvk28.png

GTSport
granturismosport_2018erkdx.png
My god even a nearly indie game like ACC that came out more than a year a go has far far thicker and nice looking vegetation that reacts to the wind,it halso has far better trackside and road textures than a supposedly next gen AAA game...What happened to PD? They used to be the best on the tecnichal side even with far weaker hardware than the ps5...

Assetto-Corsa-Competizione-Brands-Hatch-08.jpg

Assetto-Corsa-Competizione-Brands-Hatch-03.jpg

ACC_Screenshot_08.jpg

My god even a nearly indie game like ACC that came out more than a year a go has far far thicker and nice looking vegetation that reacts to the wind,it halso has far better trackside and road textures than a supposedly next gen AAA game...What happened to PD? They used to be the best on the tecnichal side even with far weaker hardware than the ps5...

ACC_Screenshot_08.jpg
Jeez, dude the game isn't even out yet. It's too early to compare. Hell, some parts of GTSport is still far better compared to what they've shown in trailer.

This is what GTsport looked like when it was reveal in 2016. Do you think PD are satisfied with that they've show so far?

Screenshot_20200613-071733.png

Jeez, dude the game isn't even out yet. It's too early to compare. Hell, some parts of GTSport is still far better compared to what they've shown in trailer.

This is what GTsport looked like when it was reveal in 2016. Do you think PD are satisfied with that they've show so far?

View attachment 929836

Yeah but here was missing stuff like the trees, on the GT7 trailer the track already was provided with trees and all, so i doubt that was an early version of the track like the one on GTS reveal

Yeah but here was missing stuff like the trees, on the GT7 trailer the track already was provided with trees and all, so i doubt that was an early version of the track like the one on GTS reveal

Honestly it feels like a port of the engine to the PS5 platform. And like they were working on Trial Mountain for GTS but decided to hold it for PS5/GT7.

The other upgrades are nice but I think only the shelby? from the trailer showed off the new raytrace tech and a few other solo car shots. It was definitely not that great of a new console game reveal.

Their techdemo got me more hyped than the reveal as far as graphics goes

But still the raytrace stuff is beautiful, I'm excited
C2CjNQ3.png

TWyXQCK.png

I'm sure they'll implement more awesome tech as they get closer to release. It would be weird if they didnt. And I wonder when the next PSVR will ship?

Last edited:
Honestly it feels like a port of the engine to the PS5 platform. And like they were working on Trial Mountain for GTS but decided to hold it for PS5/GT7.

The other upgrades are nice but I think only the jag from the trailer showed off the new raytrace tech and maybe that other car interior. It was definitely not that great of a new console game reveal.

I'm sure they'll implement more awesome tech as they get closer to release. It would be weird if they didnt. And I wonder when the next PSVR will ship?

Honestly if they attenuated the technical aspect of the game just because they need it to make it work on VR which at best will buy it only the 5% of the ps users, that would be the stupidest move ever made by PD

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-13_2-39-49.png
    upload_2020-6-13_2-39-49.png
    324 bytes · Views: 12
The sun also seems to be moving in the trailer (It's hard to say for sure, as it is not a huge amount, and the camera is moving too, but I think it does move).
The most important thing is that the lighting isn't baked, but all dynamic from the clouds, which means changing ToD and weather shouldn't be an issue.
and we have a CPU more than capable. Guys, do you have an uncompressed 4K/60 source of the trailer? Or is Youtube still the only source?

While it looks so far, there are several areas where the graphics will be greatly improved over time. I don't think GT7 will launch before Q4 2021 so there is plenty of time to polish.

As for sound I'm not so sure. GTS took a decent step forward but it still trails the industry's best titles by a huge way. As a flagship title for PlayStation every area of development should be maximised.

Overall I am very much looking forward to a classic GT game. I would love to see a massive improvement in AI and the game needs to be more difficult. Just seeing the 917K looking so good in the trailer makes me wish they would have showed some of the other beasts on the way...

Also, dynamic time is certainly coming back and I truly hope weather joins it too, from launch, and not as a feature 2 years after.

Am I the only one who cannot see what ray tracing actually adds to the graphics compared to base GT Sport? Maybe I'm not forcing myself enough I don't know.

Am I the only one who cannot see what ray tracing actually adds to the graphics compared to base GT Sport? Maybe I'm not forcing myself enough I don't know.
Xg0EExsSZVyGO9RH800G7A.png

It's only used for reflections in Scapes, Menus, Garage scenes and Replays. It's not gonna be used in actual gameplay, the PS5 is not powerful enough for ray tracing at 60 fps.

It's only used for reflections in Scapes, Menus, Garage scenes and Replays. It's not gonna be used in actual gameplay, the PS5 is not powerful enough for ray tracing at 60 fps.

Maybe at 1080p 60fps. 4k 30fps in replay mode. or just normal SSR at normal gameplay. rtx:embarrassed:n in replays

Imagine a race from sunset to midnight, with moments of rain. 24 cars on the starting grid. You're on pole and can see the headlights of every car behind you (not just 4 or 5), with their respective shadows and bounce light/reflections. In HDR, 4k at 60fps.

Sound? Harder to describe. Just a wider range and more better tweaking options in the menu m.
I get that on Project Cars 2 luckily. Really hoping GT steps its game up, I was really disappointed with GT Sport and all the lack of features, iconic cars, etc. I have a feeling GT7 will be GT Sport 2.0 with a few additions.

We need more gameplay footage of different cars and cams before we can say it isn't in gameplay. The trailer footage showed it in the cockpit cam for the Carrera GT, but still need to confirm for gameplay footage. It should be doable especially since they're already disabling certain objects from being ray-traced on the exterior body to save resources.

gt7rayzzjca.png

I wonder what the target release date is. Even the track textures are bad and don't look better than GTSport. That plus some of the 2D tree assets are literally ripped from the PS4 GTSport. Very underwhelming graphics when PD used to blow minds.

GT7
gt7tree2gvk28.png

GTSport
granturismosport_2018erkdx.png
That’s not the most flattering shot. A split second earlier you can see far more densely populated foliage similar to what Driveclub had. Further, you can see higher resolution grass and rock textures, all around Trial Mountain. Including the section of grass with the ‘Trial Mountain’ logo.

After a few days watching the GT7 trailer. I went back to GTS to watch a GR Supra event. Immediately there was a very stark contrast in terms of fidelity, lighting, texture quality etc. The brain does make up for shortcomings. I think sometimes we think GTS looks like GT7. But when you put them side-by-side you can clearly see the upgrades.

That’s without taking into account we’re looking at a build 6-12 months before a potential release. Plus, we have no idea about dynamic lighting/weather.

The other upgrades are nice but I think only the shelby? from the trailer showed off the new raytrace tech and a few other solo car shots. It was definitely not that great of a new console game reveal.

But still the raytrace stuff is beautiful, I'm excited
C2CjNQ3.png

TWyXQCK.png

According to Digital Foundry the cars on screen used Ray Tracing. IE, in the garage, the 917 vs MKIV shot. The drivers helmet in the open wheel car etc. There’s no need to Ray Trace a whole scene. They can restrict it to areas like car shadows. Even just the car you see (as DF suggested).

Ray Tracing is going to be the norm next-gen. All the PS5 AAA 1st party games had confirmed Ray Tracing for various aspects.

ACC_Screenshot_08.jpg
In motion ACC looks distinctly last gen. High quality models and some texture work. But lifeless lighting. If you see the Trial Mountain track there has been a distinct upgrade to grass & texture work. We of course don’t know what build stage they are at. I suspect they are nailing down performance and maybe implementing dynamic lighting/weather. Before adding final polish and effects.

Last edited:
According to Digital Foundry the cars on screen used Ray Tracing. IE, in the garage, the 917 vs MKIV shot. The drivers helmet in the open wheel car etc. There’s no need to Ray Trace a whole scene. They can restrict it to areas like car shadows. Even just the car you see (as DF suggested).

I dont know what the DF guy said but yeah PD are definitely using a mixed bag of methods. It looks like they are using an upgraded form of their dynamic cubemaps that they use in GTS for some stuff. Looking at Vspectras picture above yours the helmet in the rearview or the shifter is using it but the areas he circled looks like raytracing

For this shot I think the reflections are a lower lod model than the main car so I'm suspicious that its raytraced and think its another method

But other shots of the shelby or carrera looked gorgeous. I'm looking forward to what they show next and how far they can push their rendering.

Just like GTS, I think the sounds will be correct for the most part, just muffled without the proper 'aggressiveness' they should have. The visuals look good as usual to me, but it does look like a slightly upgraded GTS. But then again the footage from the trailer is probably an older build and the final same will look even better like with GTSport.

What I expect from GT7, more than a graphical upgrade (which will be there), I expect them to add sketchy or omitted things in GTS such as:
1) weather and tod.
2) more cars on the track.
3) deeper visual damage.
4) more lively and less static track edge.
5) an A.I. best
6) better sounds thanks also to the tempest audio of ps5.

I expect jaw dropping lighting, awful shadows, & subpar sounds compared to the competition. Pretty much exactly what we always get.

All depends on what kind of performance they’ll target. If it’s 4k60, I expect the graphics to increase in fidelity pretty significantly over the course of its development, with possibly more raytracing utilised in game? Considering how much power raytracing requires though, I’m not sure. I guess I’m thinking it’s be like how GTS went from looking...bad to being one of the better looking titles on the PS4. It’s already pretty evident that what was showcased was a really early build, with clear LOD and pop in issues on a console with enough power (and a ridiculous I/O complex and SSD) to make things like that...not happen.

If Kaz is targeting 120fps like he said he might (and I hope he doesn’t, honestly), I don’t see graphical fidelity getting much better than it is, which’d be a bit of a shame. Kinda seems like a waste of the PS5s extra power to focus on a frame rate most people’s TVs won’t be able to refresh at

No, even in gameplay

then it wouldn't make sense to use it only there:lol:
It wasn’t immediately obvious from the trailer. But side-by-side there is a quite noticeable improvement in track side texture quality and detail. Something I expect they’ll work further on when they know how much headroom they have at 4K/60. Same goes for particle effects and such when kicking up dust & debris. Future reveals will tell us much more - hopefully dynamic lighting/weather.

Back