What are your realistic expectations in terms of visuals and audio simulation in GT7?

• Thread starter ArR29
  • 135 comments
...well a bit confused by showcase of GT7 TBH... In terms of actual trailer/demo, it was nicely done... but when gameplay came, it is basically same game as GTS, so I assume they just needed to show something but either engine was not ready or something... not sure what is going on there...

For those who thing I speak gibberish, look at the red Mazda in front of a driven car at the start of race before first tunnel, there is no raytraced drivers car in back... Next scene that took me was the long tunnel, and how Aston Martin had some strange reflection flicker (same as in GTS)...
Where in first part of the trailer/demo, there were so many raytraced things going on on screen, together with small glimpse on dynamic clouds and ToD.

Game will run @60fps for sure, maybe even 120 (if VR is supported), but they can interpolate 120 as they've did with PS4 titles.
Resolution, well, it is possible for game to run @4k with current GTS graphics and dynamic weather with ToD. But adding raytracing, hm... I think it will need to be some small amount of traces just in vicinity of player view range, maybe some reflection etc.
But then there is question is this game going to have same number of cars as GTS has... then all this above is more then likely... But there are hints that game will have more then just 16/20/24 players at the same time...

GTS had 24 online players until car count bumped up, then it was still possible, but PD decided to rather go for quality there, so they've decreased it to 20. I don't see a reason if all this above is as I said, that we'll be getting maybe 30+ cars on track... One hint is, look at the straight on Trial Mountain... it doesn't need to be that long for 16-20 cars TBH.

And at the end of all, there was a 8k60 video showcase of GTS running on some sort of console year or so ago (dev kit maybe) with raytracing and all going on... so maybe, just maybe PD didn't want to show as much...

Who knows... power vise (looking at TFLOPS only) PS5 would be capable of running GTS/GT7 with current graphics @4k60 with all above and maybe much more going on on track... but then again, as I said, until we get some real confirmation... we cannot assume anything...

And as I said, I was a bit disappointing with few flaws that I mentioned with gameplay demo... maybe it is not as it seems, but regardless I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Exactly, imo the sounds will be accurate, just very weak/muffled sounding compared to their real life counterparts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqBevYLpkUQ#t=125s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIX67mhT0N0

I'm going to have this on my gravestone, I'm sure of it, but it's the same old cause: no dedicated intake sound source.

PGR had lots of lovely intake sound mixed into its samples, so the interior viewpoint was especially tasty.

For me, GT Sport had some improvements to fidelity, but overall on the artistic, technical and production front, it was very much a step backwards from the PS3 games. We lost a lot of natural expression in the vehicles, and replays just sound weird now.

It's possible the loss of the Cell and its incredible streaming capability affected the audio pipeline for GT Sport compared to the earlier games, and perhaps (maybe, who knows, could be, might not) the new audio chip in the PS5 will address that particular shortcoming.

For now, what I'm hearing in these teasers is neither here nor there at this stage as it's clearly just GT Sport. I hope PD haven't abandoned their dreams on this one yet, just because they caved to the pressure to conform to the social industry norm.

Graphics wise i have no doubt it will be the best if not one of the best looking games on ps5

Audio however. I don't think gran turismo showed me anything anywhere near audio simulation yet. At least until they put up a video where they shows brakes screaming/ chassis noise/ dust kicking up sound effects.

It's a shame that the gameplay was shot in the Mazda. I mean, in a road car, there is many more things going on in terms of reflections. It would have been a more clever decision to show off the graphics in the Carrera GT or the DB11 imo.
Just look at the reflections in that shot(gauge cluster, central buttons, etc.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-140323.png
    Screenshot_20200617-140323.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 25
It's a shame that the gameplay was shot in the Mazda. I mean, in a road car, there is many more things going on in terms of reflections. It would have been a more clever decision to show off the graphics in the Carrera GT or the DB11 imo.
Just look at the reflections in that shot(gauge cluster, central buttons, etc.)
The only cringy thing is the damn thumb sticking out. Is that how Kaz drives in performant cars? It's been like this since GT5. Years have passed and they still haven't learned. To change gears with the paddles in the cockpit the whole hand is lifted from the wheel, while it's turning. Do that in real life at full speed in a corner and I don't think it will end well.

Please PD glue all the fingers to the wheel and put that thumb INSIDE the wheel.

assetto-corsa-competizione-1-1200x675.jpg

The only cringy thing is the damn thumb sticking out. Is that how Kaz drives in performant cars? It's been like this since GT5. Years have passed and they still haven't learned. To change gears with the paddles in the cockpit the whole hand is lifted from the wheel, while it's turning. Do that in real life at full speed in a corner and I don't think it will end well.

Please PD glue all the fingers to the wheel and put that thumb INSIDE the wheel.
If you watch racing most people will grip the wheel with their thumbs lightly around the inside of the weel, but some do race with their thubs up.

I think, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that the reason people do that is because if you hit something, spin, or are shunted and the steering wheel spins round then it can easilly break your thumbs if you're gripping it tightly with them.

Have you guys seen this?
Gran Turismo 7 vs GT Sport

I admit.. the difference is bigger than I thought.

I think the time of day used in the trailer has much more intense lighting than the one this person chose for Dragon Trail, leading to the trailer looking more vibrant. DT at dawn or dusk probably would've been better. The showroom in the trailer also seemed to have more intense lighting so there was more to be reflected.

My expectation is that if they target 240fps, like Yamauchi-san have said, it will look worse than GT Sport, and we can forget about dynamic weather and day/night cycles.

I’d say if they try 240 fps, we can forget 8k. I mean 8k TVs aren’t in many households and I assume the few players with one will either use upscaling or maybe there’s a way to plug 4 PS5s together for native 8k haha Just speculating. Maybe 1080p at 240 and 4k at 120 or something like that. If they keep GTS stuff with only ray tracing on top.

Maybe they could have scripted weather and time transitions like Forza. Semi-dynamic. They can prebake it and save lots of ressources.

If anything we should be laughing at you, imagine not posting in the GT subforum for years and the first thing you post is a lie
1. It's an opinion, one I'm quite confident in. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone who has played most of the current sims through a good quality sound system would disagree. I'm sure it sounds great on a $4 tv speaker though.
2. See an Otolaryngologist if you are one of the tiny minority.

New Digital Foundry video.

I'm not sold on the idea that realistic reflections is terribly important. They compare it to Forza there, which as far as I'm concerned looks realistic in terms of reflections, even though if you look closely enough you can see it isn't fully realistic but who cares while you're playing, rather than poring over screenshots or analysing replays to catch a glimpse of a car reflection in a door or something.

Are they really going to use this horsepower for these relatively insignificant lighting improvements while ignoring the PS3-era roadside graphics and spectators. Based on the trailer it looks like it.

Back