What car should i get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter motortrend
  • 73 comments
  • 4,667 views
Messages
4,199
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Messages
motortrend
Hey, Ive seen you people share mytaste in cars and know about many different cars, plus your not ver fanboy-ish as other car threads on the internet, So, I'm looking to get a car next year around 15k, There are very few NSXs around here, Ive only seen one. I like them but maybe theyre a bit high cost, its what I like the most now. What I want is a RWD car, manual tranny, unique, tuneable, moderately good cost to maintain, from 85-2005 the year. Ive been thinking about early NSX, NA MX-5, AE86(very unprobable), S13, IS300, or s2k. What do yall think? BTW its gonna be my first car, but I know how to drive and take care of cars.
 
I dont think I am going to be the only one trying to steer you away from mostly all of those choices for a first car. I would say save your money, get something cheap to insure, good on gas, and reliable. After you crash that one, then you can get something better. From your list you posted, I think a NA Miata would be the best choice, but I would look into something front wheel drive and underpowered.
 
Thanks for your opinion. I knew people would say that hehe. No, but trust me, I know how to drive and I still have some time to learn anything. Since I could ride in the front seat I have been aware of what people do, the ususal behavior, things like getting into a lane without signaling or turning from the second lane, as dor underpowered, i don't really understand why since I won't be racing it or anything, but a bit more powerful car could be nice
 
But what do you need the power for?
 
Not that I need the power, but its nice to have it there for passing, plus, its there hehe, what Ii mostly want is for the car to be different. Those cars are not very powerful IMO. Only the NSX i think has more power than my dad's car, which Ive driven. The question really is, why does anyone really want to have a car with 400 hp that they wont race, i think its to have it, to give it some throttle every once in a while, bragging, even though I wouldnt. If i had a Ferrari, I would not drive it hard almost ever, but when i did, for that moment, I would enjoy it, I think thats why I would like some power, not need, like.
 
I take it your in the states yeah? how about an S2000, Ive owned one for about 4yrs now and it makes for a great daily driver and track car, Ive only started recently taking it to my local track and I love it even more now as im learning about the car and how to track it, I think its a great car to learn on, being RWD, 50/50 weight, 2-seater, convertible, 9k rpm redline, the engine in this car is great you can give it heaps on the track and still drive home and come back again the next day it loves the high rpms, there's plenty of mods out there for it, alot of bolt on turbo kits if you want more power, you really cant go wrong with this car and there not that expensive to buy, run or maintain.
 
If i had a Ferrari, I would not drive it hard almost ever, but when i did, for that moment, I would enjoy it, I think thats why I would like some power, not need, like.

I think my brain just exploded with all those commas in one sentence :crazy:
 
But what do you need the power for?

What does anyone need the power for?

motortrend, If your our price cutoff is 15K, that kinda rules out an NSX, doesn't it? Have you thought about a WRX? Not an STi, but just a regular WRX? That should keep you under that 15K price cap.
 
Here it rains a lot but we also got many sunny days, but it's always hot and the climate doesn't change. so It's pretty much summer all year long. Thanks for the tip STA1n
 
Here it rains a lot but we also got many sunny days, but it's always hot and the climate doesn't change. so It's pretty much summer all year long. Thanks for the tip STA1n

no problems, you can also get a hardtop for it.

here are some of me on track so much fun, you'll even be beating turbo'd cars and cars with alot more HP, due to the s2000 being light weight, little is known how good these little s2000's are.

Enjoy :)

Racing with some rotaries

img7069b.jpg


End of the straight

img6922q.jpg


Over taking a turbo skyline

img6928p.jpg
 
Last edited:
How old are you? I know this will be your first car, but that doesn't say much.
 
Ill be 15 in april hehe but ill get my learner's permit at 16, drive my mom's car for 6 months and then get the full license and get my own car, or maybe get a car from the day i get my learner's permit, depends on which car it is. Oh by the way, someone who owns a miata, Im 6 feet tall, would I fit OK in a miata?
 
In the s2000 the steering height and seat height isn't adjustable so if your big or tall bad luck u wont fit im 165cm and medium build I fit good, not sure about the miata, if your considering the miata go for the turbo SP version ;) the normal miata's dont move and are kinda girly..
 
A 15 year old thinks they can get an NSX, good luck man :lol:. Do you have links to the NSX's for sale there by chance? I looked around on line to see what an affordable NSX in Puerto Rico looks like because I might be missing the find of the century by not import cars from there.

I'll give the advice I give all new drivers, buy junk for your first car, statistically you'll end up crashing it. Drive the junk for a year or two till you get the knack of driving and then buy something better. You won't feel nearly as bad if you crash (or just have bumps) if you're driving something that is fairly meaningless. I wrecked cars when I was younger, my friends wrecked cars when they were younger, and I know several members on this board wrecked cars when they were younger. It's just what happens when you are on your own and learning to drive. You wouldn't want to get something awesome, just to have it end up in pieces would you?
 
I saw one for sale but there was no price... the NSX is more of a dream... hehe... Ill see how I do at first and then pick one of those cars... the s2k sounds good for 2nd car then.. Ill see what happens after the first few months.. thanks for the opinions everyone
 
Joey, I remember when was 15 I said I wanted to import an R32 skyline hahah. He'll realize in his own time, right now hes on top of the world because hes getting his license soon and its his time to shine. Who am I to stomp on it.

But what I will sat to you is, just like Joey said, get something cheap. I am not saying something not fun, but just cheap and you wont feel overly guilty getting some dings and what not. I say a MK1 Toyota Mr2 would be a cool choice for you. It is cheap, Mid-engined and a blast. Dare I say a mini-NSX?
 
good idea, that might be another choice, plus I trust Toyotas more than anything
 
MR2's are alright, just don't get the tiptronic version, get the proper manual + clutch version.
 
MR2's are alright, just don't get the tiptronic version, get the proper manual + clutch version.

I'm pretty sure tiptronic technology didn't exist when the Mk.1 MR2 was made.
 
Joey, I remember when was 15 I said I wanted to import an R32 skyline hahah. He'll realize in his own time, right now hes on top of the world because hes getting his license soon and its his time to shine. Who am I to stomp on it.

I think I wanted a Mk1 Mondeo. Perhaps I need higher aspirations...
 
MR2's are alright, just don't get the tiptronic version, get the proper manual + clutch version.

I'm pretty sure tiptronic technology didn't exist when the Mk.1 MR2 was made.

And I'm pretty sure the Volkswagen Group would be pissed if Toyota was putting VW transmissions in their cars.
 
I'm 6'2" and I've been driving my miata successfully for about 4 days now.
 
And I'm pretty sure the Volkswagen Group would be pissed if Toyota was putting VW transmissions in their cars.

my bad, I meant the sequential gear box in the latest mr2.
 
Actually under his avatar it says he's from Puerto Rico.

They have cars in Puerto Rico? Other than this?

vw-thing.jpg




my bad, I meant the sequential gear box in the latest mr2.

It was a slushbox with a manual override, just like everyone else these days.




Seriously though. I have no idea what kind of economy, lifestyle, whatever you guys have down in Puerto Rico, but imagine that most "awesome" cars and trucks are slightly more difficult to come by. Let alone for a fair price. Not to mention that I assume that your fuel prices are quite a lot higher than what they are on the mainland. All of this based on the reality that is Hawaii.


Buy a cheap Korean or Japanese four door sedan and have fun. You'll learn a lot more doing things that way than anything else.
 
First thought what I had when I did read "Puerto Rico" was worlds fastest 3/4 bodies, such as KP6x Starlets with insane Wankel engines.. So, get old Starlet or Corolla, you won't feel so bad if you hit something, while it offers you a chance to learn the art of RWD driving.
 
So you're looking at an S2K for a first car? You and me both. The only problem I am having is that the nearest examples for sale are, at the very least, an hour's drive away. :grumpy:
 
Back