What car should i get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter motortrend
  • 73 comments
  • 4,667 views
Hey bro, I see you live in pr now I know pr has a heart for rotaries and there are lots of shops with them for sale and are you into the import dragracing scene out there ?
First thought what I had when I did read "Puerto Rico" was worlds fastest 3/4 bodies, such as KP6x Starlets with insane Wankel engines.. So, get old Starlet or Corolla, you won't feel so bad if you hit something, while it offers you a chance to learn the art of RWD driving.
Is that because of me just asking leo?
 
What car should i get ... its gonna be my first car ... Ill be 15 in april ...

NA MX-5

No.


No.


No.


No.


A-hahahahaha. No.

Ill be 15 in april ... I know how to drive ... ill get my learner's permit at 16, drive my mom's car for 6 months and then get the full license and get my own car

Dreams are fine. Reality is better. You're 14 and you won't be able to get on the public roads for at least another 14 months in any car.

As your first car, get something you like but won't mind when it gets trashed. Don't go for your dreams straight away.
 
Hey bro, I see you live in pr now I know pr has a heart for rotaries and there are lots of shops with them for sale and are you into the import dragracing scene out there ?
Is that because of me just asking leo?

No, I just have a weak spot for KP6x-chassis Starlets. They're mean little buggers when you do it right.
 
YSSMAN

They have cars in Puerto Rico? Other than this?


Seriously though. I have no idea what kind of economy, lifestyle, whatever you guys have down in Puerto Rico, but imagine that most "awesome" cars and trucks are slightly more difficult to come by. Let alone for a fair price. Not to mention that I assume that your fuel prices are quite a lot higher than what they are on the mainland. All of this based on the reality that is Hawaii.


Buy a cheap Korean or Japanese four door sedan and have fun. You'll learn a lot more doing things that way than anything else.
Here we have the same economy as in the US, anything you can find there you can find here. New cars have a 40 percent tax over cars in the US and i still manage to see about 2 ferraris per month in a country thats 100x35 miles. Used cars cost about the same, to give you an idea, a manual 2005 IS300 is 15k here. Just like leonidae said, people here love rotaries, drag cars are almost always toyotas or rx-3s with rotaries. and in the more mountainous parts you see bunches of AE86s and many old Toyotas. Here in PR there are many Japanese cars, maybe because we dont feel as much as part of the US we don't buy as much American cars, and since here the roads are quite bumpy and people usually keep their cars for a long time, you see many Japanese cars. The problem with getting something like a starlet is that I think its a bit old, as I said something newer than 85'. I know someone who owned a rotary starlet. Those little cars move very fast.
 
Here we have the same economy as in the US, anything you can find there you can find here. New cars have a 40 percent tax over cars in the US and i still manage to see about 2 ferraris per month in a country thats 100x35 miles. Used cars cost about the same, to give you an idea, a manual 2005 IS300 is 15k here. Just like leonidae said, people here love rotaries, drag cars are almost always toyotas or rx-3s with rotaries. and in the more mountainous parts you see bunches of AE86s and many old Toyotas. Here in PR there are many Japanese cars, maybe because we dont feel as much as part of the US we don't buy as much American cars, and since here the roads are quite bumpy and people usually keep their cars for a long time, you see many Japanese cars. The problem with getting something like a starlet is that I think its a bit old, as I said something newer than 85'. I know someone who owned a rotary starlet. Those little cars move very fast.

Yes they do so then get a 1st gen rx-7 or second gen have you tried grs-motorsports forum??
 
I do like 2nd gens. And no, ill go check it out
 
What about a Mustang/Camaro/Firebird? You can find nice ones wayyyyy under your range, giving you a nice solid car, and money to mod it, use for gas and all that jazz. Or murder out a Lexus GS series 💡

Joey, I remember when was 15 I said I wanted to import an R32 skyline hahah.
That came up in my thread too :lol:
But what I will sat to you is, just like Joey said, get something cheap. I am not saying something not fun, but just cheap and you wont feel overly guilty getting some dings and what not.

I drive a 19 year old pickup I bought for 200 bucks and I get pissed every time I notice a new ding/scratch. Whether they were there or not when I bought it, I'm not really sure, but it makes me cringe and curse
 
Maybe a Supra if you like Toyotas.👍

I don't like the MK.3 and MK.4s are always 30k+. Mustang, I like the GS but I want something a bit more sporty and I don't really like American cars plus they're less reliable than a japanese car
 
I don't like the MK.3 and MK.4s are always 30k+. Mustang, I like the GS but I want something a bit more sporty and I don't really like American cars plus they're less reliable than a japanese car

Less reliable? Not really. You just need to find one that someone actually maintained, instead of one someone took the motto of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to. But I don't think I'm gonna change your mind here... So I'll stop before I work myself up here.


So you want sporty, under $15k, and reliable? Check out a WRX like previously stated. Or a slightly older STi. Or older Evo. Neon SRT-4. MazdaSpeed Miata. MazdaSpeed 3(may or may not be in your range). Or build something yourself?
 
Dreams are fine. Reality is better. You're 14 and you won't be able to get on the public roads for at least another 14 months in any car.

As your first car, get something you like but won't mind when it gets trashed. Don't go for your dreams straight away.

>>

<<

foto-toyota-corolla-clasico-41338_1.jpg


AE82 Corolla 4-door. 4A-C engine. Cheap. reliable. kinda fun, too.

and, after you've blown the engine trying to do burnouts, you can swap a 4A-GE in.
 
I would suggest an e30 BMW. I'd start with either a 318is or 320is in manual. Both are well balanced rwd cars, cheap to run and insure, and have easily enough power to have fun in. Plus, they are cheap to modify if need be.

158-bigthumbnail.jpg
 
E38
I would suggest an e30 BMW. I'd start with either a 318is or 320is in manual. Both are well balanced rwd cars, cheap to run and insure, and have easily enough power to have fun in. Plus, they are cheap to modify if need be.

158-bigthumbnail.jpg

Repairs for German cars are pricey.

Jim, I would like something a bit more sporty, I'm not going to trash it, thats why i want a good car, my drives would be short always since school is very close by and here the furthest place you can go is like 2 hours aways or so. I wont really put much miles into the car and surely won't crash it, if I did want a car to trash, an f'd up 88 rolla GTS would be nice to f up more just like the one they have in davesfarm
 
Repairs for German cars are pricey.

Are you basing that on anything? I'd be willing to bet that maintenance costs on an e30 would be a fraction of the costs associated with an IS300, S2000 or an NSX.
 
E38
Are you basing that on anything? I'd be willing to bet that maintenance costs on an e30 would be a fraction of the costs associated with an IS300, S2000 or an NSX.

well people who I know who own german cars say they get charged a lot for repairs. For instance, someone had computer problems with an E46 M3 and ended up spending a lot of money and another person I know had some problems with a late 70s or early 80s 911 and paid a lot for repairs so he sold it, had an aftermarket turbo though and was making 250hp, nice car.
 
and I don't really like American cars plus they're less reliable than a japanese car

All cars are equally reliable and they will all have their own problems(look at the 8 million cars that toyota is recalling). It just all depends on how you and the previous owner maintain it. japanese cars were known for being more fuel efficient than american cars, not more reliable. But this isn't the '90s anymore, american cars are now just as fuel efficient as the japanese cars.
 
well people who I know who own german cars say they get charged a lot for repairs. For instance, someone had computer problems with an E46 M3 and ended up spending a lot of money and another person I know had some problems with a late 70s or early 80s 911 and paid a lot for repairs so he sold it, had an aftermarket turbo though and was making 250hp, nice car.

Comparing the running costs of an ///M car to more ordinary BMWs is not a realistic comparison. Like any car the more complex you go the more expensive they going to be to service.

There is a large aftermarket/spare parts market for e30 BMWs and they are simple enough to work on yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined.

For your first car I would recommend getting something that is fun to drive, cheap to maintain and easy to source parts for. Buy something that you can be proud of and enjoy owning, but you won't be too distraught if you happen to dent it.

Personally, I would avoid anything too powerful too early as you will crash it. Driving skills can only be learned through experience and sitting in the passenger seat will not teach you how to deal with snap oversteer or what to do when you arrive in a corner 20mph too fast.
 
E38
Comparing the running costs of an ///M car to more ordinary BMWs is not a realistic comparison. Like any car the more complex you go the more expensive they going to be to service.

There is a large aftermarket/spare parts market for e30 BMWs and they are simple enough to work on yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined.

For your first car I would recommend getting something that is fun to drive, cheap to maintain and easy to source parts for. Buy something that you can be proud of and enjoy owning, but you won't be too distraught if you happen to dent it.

Personally, I would avoid anything too powerful too early as you will crash it. Driving skills can only be learned through experience and sitting in the passenger seat will not teach you how to deal with snap oversteer or what to do when you arrive in a corner 20mph too fast.
\
Oh okay then ill think about that, if anyone want a glimpse of how I drive check out my signature, its iracing, but iracing is pretty realistic (I know it doesnt help much) but just so you can see I can drive
 
I'll post up a video of me playing Modern Warfare 2, just so you can see I can shoot down Apache gunships with drone missiles...


iRacing means nothing.
 
\
... if anyone want a glimpse of how I drive check out my signature, its iracing, but iracing is pretty realistic (I know it doesnt help much) but just so you can see I can drive

6a00d8341c581e53ef010536bbe3df970b-800wi


Virtual racing doesn't help at all when it comes to driving in the real world. In the real world you have to deal with weight transfer, variable grip, variable conditions, unpredictable drivers/wild animals/debris and a multitude of potential hazards.

Driving well in the real world requires the combination of multiple nuanced skills and it will take you a long time to master them. A fast car makes that learning curve twice as steep.
 
\
Oh okay then ill think about that, if anyone want a glimpse of how I drive check out my signature, its iracing, but iracing is pretty realistic (I know it doesnt help much) but just so you can see I can drive

I lost first place in a local GT competition by half-a-second to a fourteen year old without a driver's license. Sucks that it was on my copy of GT4. :lol:

Videogames are nothing like real-life. No haptic feedback (virtual forcefeedback is nothing like the real thing), no visceral feedback, and it doesn't teach you how to read tire traction through the seat of your pants.

And nobody crashes an MR2 through a hedge from a standing start in virtual racing.



I'll post up a video of me playing Modern Warfare 2, just so you can see I can shoot down Apache gunships with drone missiles...


iRacing means nothing.

Dooood... everyone knows Rainbow Six is more realistic. Look! I'm a trained counterterrorist! I know how to throw a flashbang!
 
Last edited:
I knew you people would say that, again, I say that I know it does not have to do with the real world traffic or driving but basic functions are similar, and believe it or not, these simulators do help, I learned perspective this way and manual tranny driving. So, i was just showing that i know the pretty basic things, It's not fair to compare it to COD since a racing sim with a wheel is a bit closer to reality when compare with playing with a controller (never sid it is the same)
 
\
Oh okay then ill think about that, if anyone want a glimpse of how I drive check out my signature, its iracing, but iracing is pretty realistic (I know it doesnt help much) but just so you can see I can drive

Said YouTube video's description
i know i'm not that good but im only 14.


First logical thing you've said I think.
 
I knew you people would say that, again, I say that I know it does not have to do with the real world traffic or driving but basic functions are similar, and believe it or not, these simulators do help

And believe it or not, but many of us are so old we already know the gap between simulators and real world driving. I've been playing Gran Turismo almost as long as you've been alive - and I've been driving longer than you've been alive.

Do they help? Yeah, they help you learn the racing line on many real world circuits. Are they any kind of preparation for actual driving? :lol: No.


I learned perspective this way and manual tranny driving. So, i was just showing that i know the pretty basic things

They aren't basics for driving in the real world. Neither will help you on a daily commute or nipping down to the shops.

It's not fair to compare it to COD since a racing sim with a wheel is a bit closer to reality when compare with playing with a controller (never sid it is the same)

Both have a pause button and you don't actually die when it all goes wrong and reload from the last save. Compared to the reality...
 
What i see from your car choices is that you probably have some money around.
Buy anything you want ,and when you crash it, just buy another one.
 
Buy something in a fairly rare color, get full coverage insurance. Then you can yell at the insurance company to find another in PR and pay you the price of it when "it" happens. Not saying it'll be because you're a bad driver either, just that it will eventually happen.
 
I'll post up a video of me playing Modern Warfare 2, just so you can see I can shoot down Apache gunships with drone missiles...


iRacing means nothing.

:lol:
And I'll be next to you with a AK-47 gunning down the snipers.;)

I'm the same age as you motortrend and I've personally found out the difference between a virtual crash and a real crash.
 
All cars are equally reliable

Not strictly true. Some cars are inherently more reliable than others. You can improve your chances in a more unreliable car by keeping well on top of maintenance, but it doesn't mean it's more reliable than another car.
 
And nobody crashes an MR2 through a hedge from a standing start in virtual racing.
Was he trying to turn??? :confused: That's ultimate FAIL, posted on Youtube for everyone to see. I love it.

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone here--your first car should be disposable. Even if you don't wreck it, it might get wrecked. I was rear-ended three times in the high-school parking lot back in the day. (Always low speed, no damage, fortunately). Many of the people I knew with fast cars either crashed them at some point, or ended up in traffic court every other week.
 
Back