What Car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 126 comments
  • 4,660 views

What should Famine be driving in the summertime?

  • Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Lotus Esprit V8 (SE, GT or 350)

    Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (UK-spec, 6sp Manual)

    Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Stick with what you've got. Bugger all wrong with it.

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Don't Care.

    Votes: 8 10.4%

  • Total voters
    77
  • Poll closed .
TheCracker
i thought you had to have:

a) a very small penis
b) a moustache
c) bad breath
d) not enough money to buy a decent sports car

...to be a Supra owner?

You just KNOW that one of the Supra-fanclub is going to come in here and b***h-slap you so hard you end up in the Pleistocene Era... :D

I like the Supra. Always (since 1993) have. The back end is lovely. The lines are perfect (excluding the headlight clusters and some of the details on the bottom of the front end). It's got a whole "muscular" back end, like a cat on its haunches, ready to pounce, but manages to be elegant overall. In fact, it reminds me of a tiger - oddly.

Besides, with the 6 speed manual, there's not likely to be another car floating about for £12k which is genuinely capable of 200mph - but you choose not to use it... :D
 
Famine
If I'd suddenly become a tasteless automaton with a penchant for clinical lines and a complete absence of passion, then maybe I would go for an Audi, Mercedes or BMW.

On the other hand, if my penis wasn't the size it is, I'd go for an Evo.

These three are the choices. One of them will be purchased...


Oh please. Anyone thinking about buying the automotive equivalent of tight-leather pants shouldn't be getting precious with the penis jokes. :lol:


M
 
Now that you mention it Famine, go with the Evo. Who gives a crap about the size of your Willy when you drive what is quite possibly the most kickass car on the planet! It's got much more practicality than the Esprit or the Supra, yet it could give either of those cars a run for their money on a track, and it's not going to be a handful in wet weather.
 
I'd rather die.

I loathe the looks of both the Scooby and the Evo. I wouldn't look back at them as I walked away in a car park. Hell, I'd blind myself so I didn't have to look at them when I walked towards them.
 
Well, my fellow Yorkshireman, I would go with the Esprit. It would turn plenty of heads and sounds glorious.
 
Famine
You just KNOW that one of the Supra-fanclub is going to come in here and b***h-slap you so hard you end up in the Pleistocene Era... :D

Bring them on - i'll take on Paul Calf anyday

Famine
I like the Supra. Always (since 1993) have. The back end is lovely. The lines are perfect (excluding the headlight clusters and some of the details on the bottom of the front end). It's got a whole "muscular" back end, like a cat on its haunches, ready to pounce, but manages to be elegant overall. In fact, it reminds me of a tiger - oddly.

If you love the way it looks - visit Athena and buy a poster.

You can't see it's 'lovely back end' or 'perfect lines' when you are sat in it - only everyone outside laughing at you ;) - thats why they all have 'vanity' windows

Famine
Besides, with the 6 speed manual, there's not likely to be another car floating about for £12k which is genuinely capable of 200mph - but you choose not to use it... :D

The Supra can do 200 mph?!?!?

I've just seen a 178mph Lotus Carlton advertised for £10k
 
TheCracker
The Supra can do 200 mph?!?!?

I've just seen a 178mph Lotus Carlton advertised for £10k

The six-speed is geared to 215mph. I'll run the figures through and edit in a "capable" speed...

Edit: The standard engine will see roughly 180mph without any alterations.

How many times has that Carlton had its engine rebuilt? :D
 
As much as I want to say get the Espirit I can't bring myself to say it.

Just start locost racing and get a season or so out of it. You'll love it really.
 
Get the Esprit. If you're still planning on keeping your current car (guessing the Clio), then you aren't forced to drive it everywhere, unless you chose to and if it was me, i'd chose to :D Have an early midlife crisis, get it out of the way and spend the time driving an excellent car instead.
 
Famine
The six-speed is geared to 215mph. I'll run the figures through and edit in a "capable" speed...

The Sixth gear is always an overdrive, the Carlton reaches its genuine 178 mph in 5th - its 6th is just for autobarn cruising - aerodynamics always take over and limit top speeds. You could put a big final gear in any car and theoretically acheive 200mph

Famine
How many times has that Carlton had its engine rebuilt? :D

As a hand-built-by-some-of-the-finest-motoring-engineers masterpiece, compared to a shodily-put-together-by-monkeys production line banger - i would say about half as many times as the Toyota ;)
 
I think you should go for the Lotus. It's about time you got a TVR.
 
Wait a minute, you're all worried about the reliability of a Lotus compared to a Toyota and you still recomend a TVR? You're mad, the lot of you.
 
Famine
I'd rather die.

I loathe the looks of both the Scooby and the Evo. I wouldn't look back at them as I walked away in a car park. Hell, I'd blind myself so I didn't have to look at them when I walked towards them.
You'd better hope I never get your address and enough money for a plane ticket to the UK, because you never, ever say that sort of stuff to an Evo fanboy. :p

But, since there is no chance in hell you'd go for an Evo, I have to throw my support back to the Esprit.
 
Ev0
You'd better hope I never get your address and enough money for a plane ticket to the UK, because you never, ever say that sort of stuff to an Evo fanboy. :p

You could try chasing me, but your stupid tall rally gears run out while I'm in 4th.

donbenni - Take that back! I would NEVER voluntarily drive - or own - a Clio. The Clio is my girlfriend's lease car. I drive a Mazda MX-3 V6. Which she likes driving (in preference), but complains that it's too low and she can't get out of it. She'll LOVE the Esprit... :D
 
Famine
You could try chasing me, but your stupid tall rally gears run out while I'm in 4th.
:lol: True, very true. Just pray you can find a place where you can use that advantage!
 
I'll go for the Esprit IMO. Isn't it a dream to own a Lotus in your life instead of saying you owned a Toyota which is medicore?

I've heard that Alfa Romeo's are very unreliable and the GTA is front wheel drive which messes up the handling.
 
Famine
You could try chasing me, but your stupid tall rally gears run out while I'm in 4th.


You mean short gears in the Evo. If they were tall, he wouldn't run out of gearing. ;)


M
 
theGTfreak
I'll go for the Esprit IMO. Isn't it a dream to own a Lotus in your life instead of saying you owned a Toyota which is medicore?

I've heard that Alfa Romeo's are very unreliable and the GTA is front wheel drive which messes up the handling.

I don't call 326hp and 0-62mph in 5.0s (155mph limited) "mediocre" ("medicore" is a type of dagger).

Alfa Romeos ARE unreliable - but so are Lotuseseses. Legendarily so. And the GTA is rated highly for handling. My concern is only over how able it is to put 250hp to the floor with just the front wheels without any mechanical or electronic jiggery-pokery like the Focus RS - and what effect this will have on the tyre wear up front.

I will be test driving - 30'+ - all of them before any decision is reached.
 
///M-Spec
You mean short gears in the Evo. If they were tall, he wouldn't run out of gearing. ;)


M

Short gears = Close ratio. Long gears = Wide ratio.
Tall gears = Very steep on the whole revs vs. speed graph = Short gears, Shallow gears = Not very steep = Long gears.

(at least within the confines of MY skull)
 
'Tall' means a low-number final ratio = higher top speed, slower acceleration.

'Short' means a high-number final ratio = lower rev-limited top speed, quicker acceleration.

We don't use 'long' and 'short' to signify gear spacing; typically we use 'wide' and 'close'.
 
:shurg: I've never heard anyone use 'tall' interchangably with close ratios.

Tall = Long = Numerically smaller, less torque multiplication, higher top speed
Short = Numerically higher, more torque multiplication, lower top speed

But what do I know? I'm just one those tasteless automatons ;)


M
 
Tch! Colonials... :D

To me it just doesn't make sense that, when you draw a graph representing engine speed on the Y-axis against road speed on the X-axis and nail the in-gear speeds on there, very long lines - indicating a higher peak speed in a gear - are described as "tall". Very steep ones - indicating better acceleration and lower peak speed in a gear - ought to be "tall". Even though the maximum height of the line is the same, governed by the peak engine speed.

In any case, the Esprit accelerates quicker AND has a higher top speed. Evo be damned! :D
 
I meant the company's name, Lotus against Toyota. If you say you owned a Toyota it's not like saying you owned a Lotus.

Anyway if Medicore is a name of a dagger I'm not far off what the Supra is like. :)
 
I'm sensing a theme developing here... :D
 
Famine
If I'd suddenly become a tasteless automaton with a penchant for clinical lines and a complete absence of passion, then maybe I would go for an Audi, Mercedes or BMW.

On the other hand, if my penis wasn't the size it is, I'd go for an Evo.

These three are the choices. One of them will be purchased...


Clinical lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

I could have designed the esprite myself. Just give me a pencil some paper and a very long ruler. Im going to take it upon myself to find you another car to consider! :)
 
theGTfreak
I meant the company's name, Lotus against Toyota. If you say you owned a Toyota it's not like saying you owned a Lotus.

Anyway if Medicore is a name of a dagger I'm not far off what the Supra is like. :)


The lotus is not that much of a looker as I find the design a bit late 80's early 90's and if you owned the toyota you wouldnt tell people you owned a toyota. You would take a breath and say......... I drive a twin turbo supra.

Oh and famine you say you would have a evo if you had a small pecker but even muy mum said this 'the wing of a supra is just a penis extension for the driver'.
 
Ok, I've worked it out, you want an old Ferrari!!!
 
Double_R
The lotus is not that much of a looker as I find the design a bit late 80's early 90's and if you owned the toyota you wouldnt tell people you owned a toyota. You would take a breath and say......... I drive a twin turbo supra.
True. I'm not thinking straight again. Tired. :indiff:
 
Esprit because it'll be the most exciting and you only live once. The Supra seems too expensive considering age while the Alfa will bore you as it's wrong wheel drive. Also the Esprit will probably be the most exciting and, while I would consider it a penis extention, who cares? After all, you have a girlfriend already.......
 
Famine
In any case, the Esprit accelerates quicker AND has a higher top speed. Evo be damned! :D
Yet the Evo has 4 doors, seats 5, and has a reasonable boot. Esprit be damned! :lol:
 
Back