What Car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 126 comments
  • 4,660 views

What should Famine be driving in the summertime?

  • Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Lotus Esprit V8 (SE, GT or 350)

    Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (UK-spec, 6sp Manual)

    Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Stick with what you've got. Bugger all wrong with it.

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Don't Care.

    Votes: 8 10.4%

  • Total voters
    77
  • Poll closed .
Ev0
Yet the Evo has 4 doors, seats 5, and has a reasonable boot. Esprit be damned! :lol:

Has to be said, Esprit doesn't look like an Evo though.
 
I was going to say, "Alfa, no brainer!", until I read this post by M-Spec:
///M-Spec
The Esprit. Because you don't want to be on your deathbed one day and tell your loved ones about the Lotus you almost bought.


M

Lotus. No brainer!
 
Bro, if you can land a Lotus, it's a no brainer. a6m5 put it exacly as I was thinking before I even scrolled to the reply window.
 
Get the Lotus, you blistering idiot. I can't believe you're even considering the other cars.

It's a frickin' Lotus!!!
 
James Bond didn't drive an Alfa...
 
If you can afford a Lotus, buy one. All other cars 👎
 
M still sports a point by his undiplomatic comment, but I say the Supra.

1st- to be cotrary :D
2nd-It is a Toyota. That screams reliabilty.
3rd-as you said, the Market is wide open.
4th- If there is a 'problem' of sorts, the Supra will be much cheaper than the Lotus for repairs.
 
Just have to add, you see the Alfa or Toyota in your drive you'll feel excited, see the Lotus and you'll have chills running down your spine.
 
Double_R
The lotus is not that much of a looker as I find the design a bit late 80's early 90's

Which is surprising, given that it was penned in 1972. I still think it's one of the most "futuristic" styled cars. It could be designed today and most normal people who didn't think a BMW 330 was a good look would say "Gosh. That looks futuristic" (with the "Gosh" and everything).

Double_R
and if you owned the toyota you wouldnt tell people you owned a toyota. You would take a breath and say......... I drive a twin turbo supra.

And still no-one would know what the hell I was talking about.

The Supra only interests people who like cars. EVERYONE knows what a Lotus is - even my girlfriend's mother.


Double_R
Oh and famine you say you would have a evo if you had a small pecker but even muy mum said this 'the wing of a supra is just a penis extension for the driver'.

A wingless Supra is like a meat-free sausage.

Time to run the breakdown test. If you see someone at the side of the road with the bonnet up on their:
Supra
Alfa Romeo
Lotus
Do you stop and help, or point and laugh?
 
Famine
Time to run the breakdown test. If you see someone at the side of the road with the bonnet up on their:
Supra
Alfa Romeo
Lotus
Do you stop and help, or point and laugh?
I'd help the Alfa driver, since I pity the driver purchasing an unreliable, seemingly everyday Italian car (It would only be after closer inspection I would realize it has the 250hp V6). The Supra and the Esprit on the other hand, I guarantee I would point and laugh at the driver (Although 'driver' is not a very apt description at this point, seeing how they can't drive a broken down car).
 
Depends, if they sat at teh side moping I would laugh saying,"Stupid muppet, bought a great car and knows nothing about them. Should have stuck to an Audi."

On the other hand if he was under the bonnet (or engine cover) doing something I would go, "bet it'll make up for this when its back on the road."
 
C'mon then. Take a hint....

takeahint.jpg


You know what you have to do.
 
You will never see a supra owner on the roadside with his bonnet up unless he's adjusting the boost of his turbo! :)
 
Buying a sports car is all about passion. Being the analytical type, you are over-analyzing. If you're going to compromise at all then don't do it. Buy the Lotus, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If in two years it is not practical to own it, you can most likely sell it for near the price that you paid for it, as long as you keep up on the (expensive) maintainence. It has already taken the massive depreciation hit. The memories will be priceless, however.

If I was in your situation I would have a Porsche 911 in a heartbeat.
 
I'd go for the Lotus, there one of my favourite cars. :) And as others have said you might not have the chance again. If you bought the Supra, you'd always be thinking of the Lotus ;) especially when passing a group of chavas.

I would never go for a 911.

Hays why not buy a Porsche Cayenne :dunce:
 
Famine
I come from Yorkshire and, as such, getting money out of me is tricky.

Speak for youself.

Famine

The Jewish are like generous Yorkshiremen. That said, Scotsmen are like thrifty Yorkshiremen...



Growing up in Scotland, and currently living in Yorkshire, I should be offended by both comments. Alas no.

There's some nice cars in Yorkshire
M3 Evo Convertble
Mitsubishi GTO
Skyline R32 GTR


media

1995 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 Turbo 3dr Auto Liftback
*RARE UK CAR** 326BHP, N-reg Auto in Black with Full Biege Leather Interior (Heated), E/Pack, Cruise Control, Traction Control, Aircon, Remote Alarm, Tape + 6-Disc CD, Active Front Spoiler, FULL SERVICE HISTORY(mainly Toyota) Lady Owner 4 Years, Recent Service/New Tyres, Much Loved, Totally Original and in Excellent Condition Throughout, Any Inspection Welcome, Hpi Clear. 89000 miles. £9750 R A Motors.
Tel: 07817 402778
Distance: 9 miles
Price: £9,750
 
Double_R
You will never see a supra owner on the roadside with his bonnet up unless he's adjusting the boost of his turbo! :)

M20, Maidstone, Westbound carriageway, Thursday 17th February 2005 at about 2.55pm.

Looked lovely though.


ultrabeat - A decade old car with 89,000 miles for £10k!

And it's an Auto. *vomits*
 
What type of moron buys a Supra with an automatic transmission? It makes absolutely no sense!
 
Ev0
What type of moron buys a Supra with an automatic transmission? It makes absolutely no sense!
I agree with you 100%. I'd rather have an manual 240SX(Silvia).
 
Famine, what do insurance rates run on all four cars? (Not that it matters that much.)
 
a6m5
I agree with you 100%. I'd rather have an manual 240SX(Silvia).
Funny you mention that. It's very likely a 5 speed 240SX will be my first car, as soon as I can afford insurance.

Jetboys427
Famine, what do insurance rates run on all four cars? (Not that it matters that much.)
Famine said in the first post the Alfa is a group 18, and the Supra and the Esprit are group 20. So Famine will definitley be paying an arm and a leg to insure any of these cars.
 
Jetboys427
Famine, what do insurance rates run on all four cars? (Not that it matters that much.)

The Esprit is the costliest, at £800pa.

Double_R
get a R33 GTR. Or a jag xkr.

Do you go into restaurants and order things which aren't on the menu?

Alfa 156 GTA Sportwagon. Lotus Esprit V8. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo.

THAT is the menu.
 
I would go for the Alfa 156 GTA. It's sporty, makes a nice sound, got four doors and a big boot. Wat do you want more from a car?
 
Famine
The Esprit is the costliest, at £800pa.

800 pounds annually?! :crazy: Definitely Supra, aside from that point, if the locals have no clue of what it can do, make up some lies, then. :D
 
I wonder how much it would cost to insure an Esprit in Ontario. Famine's quote is less than half of what it would cost me to insure anything with 4 wheels and an engine for a year (After a conversion from pounds to Canadian dollars).
 
Yeah but Famine has a good insurance record to back him up. You're looking for a first car.
 
Famine
The Esprit is the costliest, at £800pa.



Do you go into restaurants and order things which aren't on the menu?

Alfa 156 GTA Sportwagon. Lotus Esprit V8. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo.

THAT is the menu.


Id expect the restaurant to be flexible. If id rather have potatoes than a sald then that they shld be able to do.
 
I'm not "ordering off menu here, but have you considered an E55?
 
Back