What cars, in your view, are pointless?

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 251 comments
@theknyte -- Your criticisms of crossovers sound like criticisms of full-size crossovers specifically. I don't think the XV/Crosstrek or the new Puma are pretending they're suitable to tow a large trailer or haul six kids. It's not exactly the most precisely defined term for a type of vehicle, I guess.

I like lifted hatchbacks/wagons. I think they successfully combine the positive traits of a car with some of the practicality of an SUV -- certainly for what most people actually get out of an SUV, anyway. Larger crossovers, on the other hand, I personally regard as less-practical minivans with hinged rear doors for people who refuse to drive a minivan.

I drive a sedan and its lifted wagon twin on a daily basis -- and I take my sedan into places a standard Legacy is not really intended to drive :lol: -- so I think I have a solid grasp of the benefits and tradeoffs.

Isuzu Ascender. I don't know who would actually buy this over a Trailblazer or Envoy, especially since GM didn't even try to differentiate it.

I like the way it looks better than the cheap-looking Trailblazer (except SS), ant the bland-looking Envoy (except XUV).

IIRC the Isuzu's warranty at the time was quite a bit better than GMs, if nothing else. Like something absurd like actually-twice-as-long better. Why they sold it I dunno (beyond the fact that Isuzu was the one who developed the GMT360 SUVs and their previous SUVs were approaching the end of their life so they might as well), but I can easily see why someone would buy one.

Last edited:
Literally every single GMC vehicle that are being made right now, like pretty much every Truck/SUV/Crossover/Van sold by GMC are nearly identical to the Chevy counterpart minus exterior appearance.

GMC Sierra Vs. Chevrolet Silverado

GMC-Sierra-5-scaled.jpg

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-RST-and-Trail-Boss-Regular-Cab-Models-Arrive-in-Showrooms-2.jpg

What about the GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Tahoe?

455378893.jpg

17458235132.jpg

And list goes on with the Savanna/Express, Terrain/Equinox and so on...

A while back, I assumed that GMC's might be more "luxurious" than Chevy's counterpart until I realized that wasn't the case at all. I guess it might make some sense in the States & Canada where some GMC Dealerships are conjoined with Buick but over here in most Middle Eastern regions, almost all of GM brands are sold under one roof (Chevy, GMC & Cadillac). Yet despite all of that redundancy, both Chevy and GMC variations of said trucks/SUV's are doing well here so i guess it's not "pointless" then?​

Last edited:
If I'm honest, you can probably find a point with any vehicle. There's a reason for just about every vehicle to exist and I think it's safe to say that we all like things that others would find pointless (I.E. Me liking a Shelby GT500 when someone will probably ask me why I need a Mustang with that much power). However, I think when people say a car is pointless, they probably mean the car isn't needed. People instead just want them even though they don't need them. Of course calling the thread "cars noone needs" doesn't sound as interesting of a title.

With that said, Supertrucks like these are of course pointless. I like them, but they are pointless since most people probably won't need these when a normal pickup truck will probably do the jobs they need a vehicle for.
maxresdefault.jpg

2004-international-cxt-6.jpg

504e9eeb2c12134eea8e712e3e8090cf.jpg

----------------

Hennessey 6x6 Trucks.
03-hennessey-velociraptor-6x6-white-min.jpg

Hennessey-Goliath-6x6-Chevrolet-Silverado-front-three-quarter-close-crop.jpg

hennessey-ram-trx-6x6-1-1598986869.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll bite. These:

70C7259B-5CE7-4926-8D90-065DBA827951.jpeg

F7F92642-012D-4BDE-A870-C718A66EB3DD.jpeg

Of course, they’re not inherently ‘pointless’ since some clever marketing men saw that there was a sizeable niche for cars of this sort, and they do sell pretty okay too.

I just can’t get past the idea however that somebody managed to convince their boss that a 4-door version of a 2-door version of a 4-door car could work. :lol:

Back