What cars, in your view, are pointless?

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 251 comments
^ Yeah, I'm a bit of a hooptie. Aside from some "drift stitches" a few years ago, and a very basic "oil analysis" every other year for my insurance that I don't use, I haven't been to see that "technician" in twelve years or so. I've yet to break down on the way to work, though; the fuel gauge is in the red, but somehow I keep moving.

"I don't like SUVs, so anyone who has one must be 'keeping up with the Joneses'. Here are more arguments against them, revolving around things like fuel economy, storage capacity and capabilities outside of normal highway driving, that I present, not because they're things about which everyone is supposed to be concerned, but because I simply don't like SUVs."

It couldn't possibly be because that's what they want, right? And if they can afford to have what they want, why shouldn't they?

Performance SUVs really grind my gears. The "Cayenne makes money for the new 9/11" argument never cut it for me. Those things have no reason to exist. I also dislike "crossovers", seems like a great way to ruin the ride of a small car, and raising the center of gravity is just the best idea.

Honorable mentions: BMW Xwhatever, Audi TT due to negative association (driven by nobs)

R.I.P.

images

Since I'm not planning on doing some back reading in this thread, I wonder if this pickup truck was already featured by someone else here before.

• SUV (in general). I really don't like SUV's.
  • Convertible
  • Roadster
  • 2-seater
  • sportscar
  • supercar
  • hypercar
Any car that is used for fun, cruising, costs a lot of money and has no means to transport something.

:D

Every once in a while, a manufacturer cranks out a car that there was no market for. A car that answered a question that was never asked. A car that did not serve and purpose or have a use.

Here, we can discuss this category of cars. These cars can be ugly, good looking, slow, fast, weird... as long as they served zero purpose for the brand.

A few examples of these cars are:

2001-2002 Lincoln Blackwood: Basically, this Lincoln's first truck, and was the first luxury-oriented pickup truck to enter the American market. It was a badged-over Ford F-150. At the time, upscale SUVs were becoming popular, but there wasn't a demand for luxury trucks. Unfortunately for the Lincoln, it was only offered in one color (Black) and one configuration (SuperCrew), did not have AWD available, and had an astoundingly high bace price of $52,500. All of these mishaps added up to a vehicle that sold appallingly; just 3,300 were sold in a year and a half.

2002_Lincoln_Blackwood_2.jpg

1997, 1999-2002 Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler: During the 1990s, sports coupes, hot hatches, and large family haulers were in high demand. 1930s-esque hot-rod cars, not so much. No one expected a modern, factory hot rod to enter the market in the late 1990s, or any other decade. Also during this time period, Plymouth has undergoing a downfall, and the folks at Chrysler thought that a unique vehicle like the Prowler would bring buyers back to the brand. Unfortunately they were wrong; the Prowler was not profitable enough to make Plymouth turn around. On the bright side, the Prowler was mostly praised, sold decently, and was offered in some peculiar colors.

2008-10-05_Red_Plymouth_Prowler_at_South_Square.jpg

2010-2014 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet: Introduced in 2010, this was world's first convertible crossover. Until the CC's existence, no one ever thought that type of vehicle was possible. It wasn't a practical car, nor did it serve any purpose; traditional convertibles and crossovers were evidently better buys than this. Because of terrible sales, the "convertible crossover" departed from the market. The only other convertible crossover available for purchase as of 2017 is the Land Rover Evoque Convertible, and it is no more successful than the CC. Also, the CrossCabriolet was once of the least cool cars ever polled in the Cool Wall, according to the results.

Can I just say with the prowler, it is a decent car, or so I'm told, my G'Dad jokes that the best thing about being inside is that you can't see the exterior

• SUV (in general). I really don't like SUV's.
  • Convertible
  • Roadster
  • 2-seater
  • sportscar
  • supercar
  • hypercar
Any car that is used for fun, cruising, costs a lot of money and has no means to transport something.

:D
You sir

Made me quietly chuckle, well done

Isuzu Ascender. I don't know who would actually buy this over a Trailblazer or Envoy, especially since GM didn't even try to differentiate it.

I can agree about the Venza actually but the Crosstour just makes the cut for me. Not that it matters much.

BMW makes lots of good looking vehicles, who goes to a BMW dealership with all these options and settles for an X6? I dont understand the rationale behind it. :lol:

R.I.P.

images

Since I'm not planning on doing some back reading in this thread, I wonder if this pickup truck was already featured by someone else here before.
Shame. By the amount I see on roads here(probably due to order arriving recently), it seems to be a market for them. If it were an AMG, might justify the cost. Oh well...

Shame. By the amount I see on roads here(probably due to order arriving recently), it seems to be a market for them. If it were an AMG, might justify the cost. Oh well...
People actually buy them near you?

Australia really is a strange place.

Yep, I think it's a little bit short lived. That's the problem with some purely rebadged models.

People actually buy them near you?

Australia really is a strange place.
Why would you think that they shouldn't? It's their choice, after all.

Yep, I think it's a little bit short lived. That's the problem with some purely rebadged models.

Why would you think that they shouldn't?
I never said that they shouldn't. I'm just surprised that a Mercedes-badged Nissan pickup truck is actually selling decently somewhere.

I never said that they shouldn't. I'm just surprised that a Mercedes-badged Nissan pickup truck is actually selling decently somewhere.
Most likely because it has a more powerful V6 turbo diesel engine that's not found from the original Nissan pickup truck. And I think that's rare for something that's not a full-size pickup truck.

Partly because of the badge. Looks different enough to the Nissan and other utes. Plus, the reason below.

Most likely because it has a more powerful V6 turbo diesel engine that's not found from the original Nissan pickup truck. And I think that's rare for something that's not a full-size pickup truck.
The Amarok is the same. Most powerful V6Turbos when other brands are using 4-cylinders.

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible. I have a soft spot for these, but I don't see any point in them, especially at a time where GM offered quite a lot of convertible versions of normal cars.

upload_2020-8-5_11-56-24.png

upload_2020-8-5_11-56-29.png

CUV/"Crossovers" - Takes the worst traits of both cars and SUVs and combines them into one useless package.

Modern "Compact" Pickups. - Most people can't tell a new Ranger from a F150, because they are almost identical in size. That is not a compact truck! Bring back the Mazda made Rangers, and little S-10s. Those were compact pickups.

Luxury SUVs. - If you're never taking it camping or even offroad once in its life, why buy a SUV? You want plush? Buy a Benz or a Caddy.

Any Car Made To Look Sporty, with no actual sport options. - The Honda CRZ for example. Looks like a worthy successor to the awesome CR-X, and everyone was hoping for a "SI" version to match. Instead we get a gutless Hybrid.

Modern "Compact" Pickups. - Most people can't tell a new Ranger from a F150, because they are almost identical in size. That is not a compact truck! Bring back the Mazda made Rangers, and little S-10s. Those were compact pickups.

They're not marketed or classified as a compact pick-up, they're considered mid-sized. Most of it comes down to the bed size and the width. My Tacoma was roughly the length of a Tundra, but it only had a six-foot bed and it was significantly narrower.

CUV/"Crossovers" - Takes the worst traits of both cars and SUVs and combines them into one useless package.

Luxury SUVs. - If you're never taking it camping or even offroad once in its life, why buy a SUV? You want plush? Buy a Benz or a Caddy.
None of these three groups of cars are even remotely pointless, since all three are high-selling. If people are willing to buy these cars in large numbers than by definition they aren’t pointless. Even if you find CUVs bland, uncool, and merely clumsier versions of hatchbacks. Compact trucks (well, that’s non-exist in the US because chicken tax, the Ranger/Colorado are more midsize) are less money and better on gas than full sized trucks, so that’s their appeal. And many people who bought luxury sedans years ago are now switching to luxury SUVs, since more buyers in general are switching from sedan to SUV.

None of these three groups of cars are even remotely pointless, since all three are high-selling.
Pointless ≠ Worthless.
Look at designer clothing an shoes. They are pretty pointless, but a billion dollar industry. All cars have a "point" of making sales. But, I was rather pointing to my personal feelings on why I believe my choices were "pointless" to myself. I realize SUVs/CUVs are the "In Thing" and selling like hotcakes. I just personally don't see a useful reason for them to exist. If you want something to zip around town with, buy a sedan or coupe. You want something to haul or tow, buy a truck. You want something to haul six kids in, buy a Van.

I'm old and contacourous. :P I feel that if you want a certain purpose from a vehicle, then buy a vehicle designed for that purpose. When you get these modern cars that try to be a bit of everything, they end up excelling at nothing.

Porsche 911s. :mad:

They make you sick, cause insomnia, take a lot of money, cause head worries and do you get in return? Nothing because you are not allowed to drive faster than 30 - 50 - 70 - 120 km/h. I know this is true for all sports and hypercars but it is personal.

:)

If you want something to zip around town with, buy a sedan or coupe. You want something to haul or tow, buy a truck. You want something to haul six kids in, buy a Van.
The big problem with that is that there's families that really only have the time, money, or both for one vehicle. So, that's where the SUV comes in.
It's the do-all, but not a master of all vehicle. That's part of why they sell so much, but yeah; it's also because they're such a trend.

Much like how designing edgey cars is an annoying trend right nwo.

Back