What did you do in FM23 today?

• Thread starter DextroCat
  • 561 comments
Went back to finish up the B Class Series and Open tour Rewards Showcase (and closed out the Open Class Tour at the same time). Jumped back into the Classic Sport Series (under Legacy Tour) for a few races in the BMW 2002.

So here is my rant for today . . . FM AI needs to learn how to race. Braking in mid corner of a high speed corner - what is that all about? They do it on nearly every track. Is this normal?

Is your safety rating affected by AI races or is it just online races only?

Shared a photo to complete that useless trophy.
Safety rating is online races only.
Supposedly the brake checking is "90% fixed" with next week's update.

I'm currently tweaking a 20-lap race of Laguna Seca that starts on late afternoon and ends at night, with dry weather and looming clouds. Current AI difficulty is set at 6.

The AI cars are better at the start of the race, and I have seen them run side-by-side with signs of improved behavior here and there, and they are better in faster corners, which helps to spread the field and improve the flow of the race, but still way too conservative (fraidy?) in slower corners, which can be construed as brake checking @Imari.

The machines are learning folks... be nice to them! :scared:

I'll get back to playing soon. Hoping that the AI will keep improving. Season 8 looks a bit dull to me otherwise.
Have been busy today driving a different game, where the AI are more predictable ... ;)
Sorry for the double post, but here's my drive at Goodwood circuit from today...
This was my cough-tieth birthday present and was a fantastic day, plus the weather was perfect 😎
The adrenaline hasn't worn off yet!
View attachment 1355690View attachment 1355691View attachment 1355692View attachment 1355693View attachment 1355694View attachment 1355695View attachment 1355696View attachment 1355697
The GT40 was too much for me to handle, but exhilarating!
The E Type was good fun but very heavy steering (you get spoilt by modern cars)
The DB5 was perfect though, power steering in a car from the 60s was a big surprise, and together with lots of feedback from the tyre squeal meant i could power through the corners 😀

i did the Caterham event. Noticed that the top speed in 6th was below the potential top speed so adjusted the gearing eventually managing better acceleration with a much better top speed, effectively making the car run with one fewer gears in the races. With the points from the first two events I got the car to 400 PI for the last races.

I got reacquainted with the Ginetta G40 (from PC2) and it feels more grippy and stable than in that game, and with a better sense of speed, not that the car is very fast to begin with.

I also had a legitimate game-ending crash while trying to do a D-class race in the Open series.

I got reacquainted with the Ginetta G40 (from PC2) and it feels more grippy and stable than in that game, and with a better sense of speed, not that the car is very fast to begin with.

I also had a legitimate game-ending crash while trying to do a D-class race in the Open series.
Oh boy. Fix one thing, break three more... Can't wait to try that Ginetta.

Today I played the 8.1 update on PC, and after the traditional shader compilation, I set the rendering quality to high with some custom settings like anisotropic filtering at 16X and car model quality at ultra and any RT off. I'm getting about 80-90 fps at 1080p (resolution scale 100%) and it's OK with no stutters at all. It looks OK, but nowhere near as pretty and detailed the 4K series X version, but I like playing on PC because it feels more responsive overall.

I did the second race of the C-class Open Tour at Brands Hatch in rainy conditions and at one point me and two AI cars were driving side by side (me on the left) on the Pilgrim's Drop straight and it was beautiful. Then the car on the right cleanly passed the middle car, followed by me, and then the middle car attacked me on the inside of the next wide turn (Hawthorne Hill), but couldn't and instead of ramming me it backed off. The AI racing is really getting more sophisticated, and at an accelerated rate, I may add.

Last edited:
Today I played the 8.1 update on PC, and after the traditional shader compilation, I set the rendering quality to high with some custom settings like anisotropic filtering at 16X and car model quality at ultra and any RT off. I'm getting about 80-90 fps at 1080p (resolution scale 100%) and it's OK with no stutters at all. It looks OK, but nowhere near as pretty and detailed the 4K series X version. But I like playing on PC because it feels more responsive overall.

I did the second race of the C-class Open Tour at Brands Hatch in rainy conditions and at one point me and two AI cars were driving side by side (me on the left) on the Pilgrim's Drop straight and it was beautiful. Then the car on the right cleanly passed the middle car, followed by me, and then the middle car attacked me on the inside of the next wide turn (Hawthorne Hill), but couldn't and instead of ramming me it backed off. The AI racing is really getting more sophisticated, and at an accelerated rate, I may add.
I am going to have to try playing off my laptop. I do lots of painting and such but never any driving. Would certainly open up some wheel options if it works out okay.

Glad to hear all these reports of the AI getting better. Have a long weekend with a forecast full of rain coming up here, so I'm looking forward to trying it out! And finishing up the Consumption Racers finally.

after the traditional shader compilation
compiling_shaders.png

In Friday I started with Ginetta Juniors Tour.
Raced at Brands Hatch and it was great race, I started at P12 with AI on 5. It was big fight from lap 2-5 having 4 cars in front of me. In the end, I managed to win.

4963edf6-24ea-4a5d-a2a8-e4e492a9b53e_copy_1920x1080.png

Now I just finished race at Watkins Glen. This time there wasn't fight until the end, I came to first place already at lap 2 and keep it.

082f67f0-f883-4de6-a905-8dc9578966a1_copy_1920x1080.png

Driving this mini Ginetta it's feeling like in old TOCA days...

I took a break. I have played Forza Motorsport every single day since release. I need to take a small break. I'll probably set the wheel back up and jump on tomorrow. In the meantime, I am just looking at some of the pics I took and trying to decide which one will be on my desktop.

Did the Ginetta Juniors tour this morning. I wasn't very fast in the stock one-make races but improved slightly after I learnt to push the car's limits a little harder. Feels like it could be a sleeper at D class and above.

Last edited:
I upgraded my CPU and at last that annoying warning that my previous CPU was unsupported went away. I did a 2-lap quick race of the Nordschleife in the evening and under rain and it really felt like a driving day there. The start was completely clean, with the AI cars driving side by side, and with no divebombing or unnecessary braking, and I was bunched with a pack of three other cars for most of the first lap. The only passing opportunities were from AI mistakes (then again, everybody makes mistakes there) and in the long straight, but elsewhere they did defend quite well.

Completed Mid Ohio and VIR North races.
4th at MO and 6th at VIR - I don't and will not like those two tracks, specially VIR.
Lucky that two wins at normal tracks were enough for overall win.

This absolutely don't look like it's from '23 / '24

f9e32a49-14a2-4e41-ae1b-2b76d2dd2710_copy_1920x1080.png

Well, the game crashed twice! Once when I started the new series and once when I had finished it. I used the Alfa 4C which was more than up to the task

Latest Posts

Back