- 41,187
Clean your ears out.
I don't think any amount of Q-Tips for your ears or money thrown at your home theater system is going to take that patented Chevrolet S10 Blazer sound:
And make it sound like it is actually a high performance V8 engine.
Clean your ears out.
Maybe JeMCG talk about the enveloping sound field + decibel pressure ( I don't know the right word for it ) I often listen to trance music, at low volume 40dB, it lacks punch, sounds flat and lifeless, but pump the volume to 60dB or more, then we are talking business here, punchy mid and shaking low, fuller high, the sound felt alive and "powerful".
I've watched live racing through my AVR a couple of times, the sounds from higher decibel does make it a lot better than the tiny tv speakers, but I won't crank it up all the time, I love my hearing better
In GT5 case, the sound source is not that "sexy" compared to other games like Forza or NFS MW, I guess PD needs to have a middle ground here, realistic but also engaging.
Maybe JeMCG talk about the enveloping sound field + decibel pressure ( I don't know the right word for it ) I often listen to trance music, at low volume 40dB, it lacks punch, sounds flat and lifeless, but pump the volume to 60dB or more, then we are talking business here, punchy mid and shaking low, fuller high, the sound felt alive and "powerful".
I've watched live racing through my AVR a couple of times, the sounds from higher decibel does make it a lot better than the tiny tv speakers, but I won't crank it up all the time, I love my hearing better
In GT5 case, the sound source is not that "sexy" compared to other games like Forza or NFS MW, I guess PD needs to have a middle ground here, realistic but also engaging.
I don't think any amount of Q-Tips for your ears or money thrown at your home theater system is going to take that patented Chevrolet S10 Blazer sound:
And make it sound like it is actually a high performance V8 engine.
Of course in general the louder something is the better it sounds but to say that in car audio would need to be loud enough to require earplugs is quite ridiculous. I've been to rock shows and needed earplugs but if I listen to a rock CD at home it only need to be comfortably loud to get the full sound experience.
I mean like Scaff says that'd be like going to the cinema/theatre to watch a blockbuster film and need the sound to be so loud you need earplugs for everything to sound realistic. It's a quite ridiculous notion, anything that is loud enough to make your neighbours complain is loud enough to get the full experience of a sound sample.
Are you actually serious?
Do you even have the first clue about audio recording and production? It would certainly seem not.
If what you are claiming about were even remotely correct then nothing we listen to from a musical or film perspective would sound even remotely close to the real thing.
Oddly enough music and film manages quite well in these regards, as do countless other racing titles around, many of which manage to get sounds far closer to reality than the GT series does.
You post smacks of both a limited knowledge in this area and of clutching at straws.
Oh and for the record my home cinema, hi-fi and guitar amps are all capable of db levels that will damage hearing, however getting close to that is not a requirement for accurate sound recreation. What the BBC and ITV manage more than well enough in live broadcasts of the F1, BTCC, WTCC etc. according to you can't be done with pre-recorded and (apparently) post-produced sounds in a game?
I don't think so.
I turned up my tv and it sounded just like a V8!!! Problem solved![]()
Crazy. Kaz IS CRAZY. 👎
Kaz, You are either lying, or you have an incredibly strange disease in your ears
, or you haven't played the game at all...
![]()
There was a translator present - just not Translator-san (who I'm told has broken his ankle - get well soon Translator-san!) - and Yamauchi rarely speaks in English at all, let alone full interviews.
However, invoking "lost in translation", I kind of understand what he's getting at, even if I don't necessarily agree.
"Sound" is a complex field - it's not as simple as recording a noise and playing it back. A really basic example is how you sound differently on a tape recorder than you do in your head. While I'm sure that how they record sounds isn't necessarily how I'd do it (doing it on a dyno is sensible - loading the engine with no road noise), the simple fact is that you will not be able to tell the difference on an equaliser between the real car and the GT5 one. It'll be the same pitch (frequency) spectrum at, if you choose, the same volume. This is what I suspect Kazunori means by "too real" - 1:1 on the equaliser.
This isn't the problem with GT5's sounds. The problem is what he refers to as "sexier" sounds - or what musicians will know as timbre. If you play two musical instruments at the same pitch and same volume an equaliser will show no difference - but they're different, aren't they? You know how you can tell between a synthesiser version of an instrument and a real instrument - or a human voice and autotune? This is due to timbre - timbre is what gives "sexiness" to sound. You can even tell between two identical instruments played entirely in synch with each other due to timbre...
What constitutes timbre is tough to pin down - it's essentially every characteristic of a sound that isn't the frequency or volumeIt's often referred to as "sound colour" and you'll hear terms bandied about like ADSR (attack [the start of a note], decay [normalisation from the attack to the sustain], sustain [the intended note], release [return to zero]), but it's really tough to explain and even tougher to compress and shove onto a CD/DVD/BD, uncompress, dynamically simulate and allow space for a game.
What many games do to substitute for timbre is make it louder and add more bass - because we associate noise, particularly bassy noise, with feeling. If you can feel the noise move through you it feels more "real" (and at real race tracks, sound hits you like a wall). Shoved through a set of TV speakers, it sounds "better" than the quieter and more accurate (in terms of the equaliser) note. GT games don't do this (with the exception of GTHD) and so, through TV speakers, they sound like ass because there is neither real feeling nor fake feeling - just the frequencies and volume. They sound better if you have speakers with better range and quicker reactions or if you have a good amp to dig the sounds out (on the pair of monitor speakers I usually use for gaming, GT5 sounds fine, if a little vague sometimes. Good enough at least that my wife can hear I'm driving a V8, three walls and a floor away) but the lack of timbre or a substitute for it prevents the realism.
There's certainly more they could do. Sound recording needs to be primarily in the driver's seat for cockpit, in the engine for nosecam, two feet behind and four feet above the car for coptercam (though winding in some essence of the other two for each will help add character). It needs to be pushed through a spectrometer rather than an equaliser before being passed as satisfactory. It needs to be optimised for different settings - the ghacky 2W TV speakers most people play through, a stereo system, a basic surround system (2.1), a middle surround system (5.1), a geeky surround system (7.1) and a full cinema system (what's this up to now? 14.2?).
Or they could make it louder and add bass.
Take "real" as "faithful frequency and amplitude reproduction" and take "sexier" as "better timbre or bassier/noisier" and the response makes sense.
Please expand.Yes I do know about AV as it is part of my profession.
No amount of money spent on a system is going to make up for the fact that GT5's audio samples for certain cars are simply wrong (as in they are clearly not recorded from the car/engine in question - two such example were posted in this very thread). Nor will it make up for the almost total lack of post-production contained within the GT5 audio sample, which rob them of any form of character.No the BBC or ITV can't match GT5 for sound quality even at their best broadcast quality, even if you were putting it though the best amp in the world you couldn't make up for the loss in quality. One because it wasn't there in the fist place and two because they just can't transmit at the same quality that is available in GT5. Remember that the sound is already there for you in GT5 and it's just up to how much you want to spend on your equipment.
Yet a recording of an engine is no different to the recording of a guitar or gunfire in a films, etc (or for that matter a car in a film).Totally different kettle of fish comparing movies and guitar to engines. An engine is naturally loud to the point of detriment to our hearing, whereas a movie and guitar are made to please our senses.
Then maybe you should consider that before throwing out blanket insults yourself.I find your comment about me clutching at straws and having a limited knowledge slightly offensive. The only comforting factor being that no one will ever have complete knowledge in anything, there is always something to learn.
I respect your opinion though.
Actually I think you will find that's sarcasm.lol someone gets it!
Odd because the issues Famine has pointed out are the exact same ones that I have and still will not be resolved by better equipment and/or more volume.👍
Bang on.
Please expand.
I sold and installed hi-fi and home cinema for a number of years and have owned systems since I was a teenager (so over 25 years now).
No amount of money spent on a system is going to make up for the fact that GT5's audio samples for certain cars are simply wrong (as in they are clearly not recorded from the car/engine in question - two such example were posted in this very thread). Nor will it make up for the almost total lack of post-production contained within the GT5 audio sample, which rob them of any form of character.
GT5's LPCM audio sample may be lossless and of a massive bit-rate (of that no doubt exists) but if they are not from the correct source and/or of poor production then its for nothing.
Bit-rate and compression (or lack of it) is worthless if the source is not up to scratch,, and its for that reason that the BBC's F1 footage sounds better than anything GT5 can currently offer.
Yet a recording of an engine is no different to the recording of a guitar or gunfire in a films, etc (or for that matter a car in a film).
Fail to capture it correctly and/or produce it correctly and it will not represent the source accurately.
Then maybe you should consider that before throwing out blanket insults yourself.
However I have to be perfectly honest in saying that nothing at all that you have said in these posts explains why GT5's audio samples fail to do what they should, which is provide as accurate a recreation of the source sounds as they can. As for limited knowledge, well the comments you have made on the topic to date unfortunately indicate just that.
You can bang on about equipment and volume levels all you like, if you point was accurate then it would apply to all recorded sources and it doesn't.
Actually I think you will find that's sarcasm.
Odd because the issues Famine has pointed out are the exact same ones that I have and still will not be resolved by better equipment and/or more volume.
I meant that I steal TV's and hifi's. And I like Famine better than you.
ORPHANTHIRTY7In a way what Kaz said could be true. If you record in certain ways you pick up many different disciples. But still on quite a few cars the sound does seem copy and paste. Mainly the cars you put any exhaust mods on. Hints the reason i use stock exhaust on pretty much everything.
thelvynauI guess they would need to copy and paste due to time restraints I mean its over 1000 cars it would take a while to record them all.
ORPHANTHIRTY7Yes it would in all honesty and i am not making excuses for PD but more than 5 years with the amount of employees.
There are great sounding cars in the game.
Like last night I did a comparison between the R33 premium. Try this. Buy it bone stock add the semi-titanium racing exhaust (2nd exhaust) slowly rev it up in 3rd person camera.
Compare it to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co-OOAuBVgo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sounds the closest to it pretty much exact. Minus the transmission and blow off valve and i believe that is it.
One thing I have discovered like most people. Pretty much on most cars you can just forget about the racing exhaust (the 3rd one) because it doesn't sound correct on most of them.
The other car in the game that sounds identical to the real life car (or parts added) is the gran-turismo 350z rs. Its true name that was shortened in the final version of the game and its full name was in GT5 Proluge. Its true name was Amuze/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350z RD. Leave it stock and tell me to my face that doesn't sound like the real thing.
I think the problem was time. But Kaz has admitted flaws with the game. I am not going to say the sounds are not great on some if not half of the cars. But at least he is going to work on them.
Like i said before I respect others opinions and this is mine. But look at that video above with the R33 and try that. You might be surprised
thelvynauI guess its reasonable to say pd couldnt record every single vehicle and develop the game in a reasonable amount of time perhaps they tried with what they had.
ORPHANTHIRTY7I mean one thing I must say. But i am not a gaming programmer so i don't know what is best but here's my idea.
Ok when you make one of these games you have to get a license for the the cars you put in right?
Have the company of the car send a sound recording of it? If there's a way to do it.
Only other way I think is to have something that can hook up to each car that will record RPM activity and exhaust and engine noise at those RPMs. Imagine it being that correct. But it would take forever. Which honestly if everything would be that accurate it would be worth the wait to me for them to get every car they put into the game done like that.
AmplifiedNLEditing the sound can even take the dull engine sounds a good raw go for its money, listen up to my engine sound edit for the interior sound :
http://soundcloud.com/amplifiednl/gt5-f40-interior-sound
Notice how the clean one sounds totally fizzy and stuff, like there is only treble lol?.
I tried to recreate some youtube incar video sound here, and get some more exciting intake growl out of it. The equalizing in this game is just totally crap sorry to say. The engine growl is actually there, hidden tho. Edit came out nicely.
What do I make of Kaz's answer regarding GT5s sound?
He actually admits there's a problem 👍
It's too easy to blame it on one single aspect though.
There are multiple issues with the sound.
His comment about the sound being "too good" is just a PR stunt, or a matter of "lost in translation".
The good news is: He acknowledges the fact that the sound needs a comprehensive overhaul.
This, combined with the major upgrade of the 2.09 "grand unified theory of GT-physics" fills me with optimism (they're still doing major development in key areas on a 2 year old game!).
Fingers crossed
I think he's saying that they're not capturing the sounds they want, hence the need to "design" the sounds.