What do you ride in real life?

• Thread starter mrslick151
  • 322 comments
i think i was basing my list on a different set of priorities. as far as track presence, my list is totally different. i was basing my opinion on what i see at the dealership, and personal experience. ducati, though, will be a big player, and probably the only, as far as ama and wera are concerned. in heavyweight twins (wera) it (the 1098) will be a dominating force, that will destroy everything in its path.

In the end its hard not to go with the eye candy. If it looks real pretty then thats the one you should go with. I surely can't ride my bike to its full potential, so unless you do track days I see your point.

I'm not a huge Duc fan but that 1098 is one very sexy bike. I haven't heard...Is AMA going to let it race here in the states or is it only a WSB contender?

And how about Aprilia? I drive Aprilia, and I can really thow it in corners, although the 2stroke Aprilia's really love to screem.. Have to keep it in the powerband all the time, otherwise they won't really accelerate.
I've only ridden one Aprilia...I think it was a futura?!...anyway, It felt like I was on a go cart with two wheels. I am sure that If I had the chance an RSV wouldn't give me that impression.

In the end its hard not to go with the eye candy. If it looks real pretty then thats the one you should go with. I surely can't ride my bike to its full potential, so unless you do track days I see your point.

I'm not a huge Duc fan but that 1098 is one very sexy bike. I haven't heard...Is AMA going to let it race here in the states or is it only a WSB contender?

I've only ridden one Aprilia...I think it was a futura?!...anyway, It felt like I was on a go cart with two wheels. I am sure that If I had the chance an RSV wouldn't give me that impression.
The RSV1000 Mille is a racer, really not a bike to use all the time. The steer is verry low, but there's also the RSV1000 Tuono, a little bit more naked but better for daily use, bit still with the 1000cc Twin engine. And the RS250 is really a trackbike and useless for daily use. You have to put a new piston in everey 10.000km, has to be in the powerband all the time but cornering is perfect, so that why I prefer the RS250 on track:)

I used to ride a Honda Sabre V65. That is until I was run off the road by a car who's driver paid, oh, about NO attention to the road. Haven't had a ride since then, but some day in the not too distant future I will have another bike.

What are y'all's thoughts on Ducatis? Ditto on the Aprilias and Moto Guzzis (the first showroom in South Carolina recently opened in my town - gotta get by and check 'em out).

Ducatis, Aprilias and Moto Guzzis are not good values for the money. I think there is a love for those bikes that isn't about how the bike rides or performs. Most Duc owners I know are a little out there! Italian bikes to have nice styling and If I had EXTRA money I wouldn't mind picking one up. Until then the R1 is all the bike I will ever need.

i've shown my R1 before, she's had a bit of a face lift after a high side at the track. she's now half matte black and glossy.
newpaintjob_2.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg
me_bearmt.jpg

and the new bike to the stable...06' R6
me_R6copy.jpg

this is my

1996 Honda MC28 NSR250R SP *repsol* replica Limited Edition
officaly bike #222 of #1000 ever made,

swipecard model,

completely stock with anodised blue leavers
freashly cleaned and electroplated gold-pres
quick as,

and my

1989 Honda CBR250R MC19 *hurricane*
this now has a CBR250RR MC22 engine and exhuast conversion
and lowered bars below tripple clamp and goes really well
i can easily thrash 600cc-1000cc bikes at pukekohe (well not easily)

it only has sport demons, and im very very close to beating the lap record of
1.15 on a CBR250RR on GPR70's

yeh, the nsr was in storage and is pretty damn straight, peace fellow biking brothers! (cant wait to get my licence back!!!)

and im racing Street Stock series this year YAY!!!!!!!!

kif0502je9.jpg

kif0471wg1.jpg

My and my best mate might race an SV650S the the Isle Of Man TT soon

I had to do a double take as that hardly looks like a 650 after all those mods you have made. That must be a kick in the pants to ride.

This is one of my track bikes. Its a 2005 Honda Repsol #173. :sly: Mods out the yin yang. Infact too much too list. :crazy: My other bikes are a 00 ZX7R and 01 Suzuki GSXR 750

25SP5755.jpg

DSCF0931.jpg

Posted this in the Rumble Strip "Show off your latest purchase" thread, but with the TT connection thought it belonged here, too. I've picked up an FJR1300 from a friend of my brother's. He bought this one new in late '02, and decided a few weeks ago he wants the ABS, so he got another one. I got this one for a steal. I'm adjusting to it, as my previously stongest bike was a 15-year old 600.

Gently, now, gently. Not so much throttle. Too much brake. But I barely touched the controls!

What's cool is before the purchase I actually found it in Tourist Trophy, so I had to take a few "test rides" at Laguna Seca, Infineon, Valencia, and the Nordschleife. The game's bike is an '05, mine's an '03.

That last pic shows the gauges as I fly down the 'ring's back straight at 168. I do not plan to duplicate this IRL. :nervous: Cool, though, how accurate the game's reproduction is.

Unfortunatly for me, I was only 17 when I started to ride bikes, and due to family policy, I had to start from the buttom of the bike list... so while I'm not too proud of em, they're still pretty good rides until I can get my dream bike in the comming year...

My first was an 2005 Madami Buxa, it's a Vento-Like scooter, it used to be driven by a 149cc stock engine, though it was upgraded to 170cc, and several racing mods, including racing exhaust and sport-tuned CDI. Scooters here are very well tuned and can actually run low 7s on the 1/8th mile... they're faster than Hayabusas...
BuxaNueva.jpg

Currently, I ride a 250cc scooter similar to the one in the pic. Though its just a scooter, it can reach the high 90 mphs its a good ride though i have to repair a couple things

I'll be picking up a 2000 Ninja ZX6R today. My first bike. Also I've been playing TT for a few days now and its a great Cycle sim and pretty much nothing else out there like it worth playing on PS2 or 3(I play it on PS3).

I've picked up an FJR1300 from a friend of my brother's.

Nice pick up there wfooshee. I am a huge yamaha guy and you picked the cadillac of them. That bike has the best of both worlds. Nice power and good comfort for those long days in the saddle.

Scooters here are very well tuned and can actually run low 7s on the 1/8th mile... they're faster than Hayabusas...

Cough...Cough...excuse me...I'd have to see that to believe it!

I'll be picking up a 2000 Ninja ZX6R today. My first bike.

Not too bad to start with. That year was a little more porky then it should have been. Use it and abuse it for a few years then up grade.

Nice pick up there wfooshee. I am a huge yamaha guy and you picked the cadillac of them. That bike has the best of both worlds. Nice power and good comfort for those long days in the saddle.

Cough...Cough...excuse me...I'd have to see that to believe it!

Not too bad to start with. That year was a little more porky then it should have been. Use it and abuse it for a few years then up grade.

Well, I'll try to find you a video, if not i'll go shoot one at the race-track, but at the 1/8th mile, the racing scooters, 180cc, running on alcohol, nitrous oxide, lightweight chassis etc, are making around 50 hp, put that on a thing that weights around 200 something pounds, and put a 9-12 year old pilot to drive it, and you got a 7.19s machine, scooters do low 7s and high 8s, depends on how they're tunned, a stock Hayabusa, can't catch the fastest scooter round here...I'll look for one dun worry bout that...

Thanks. I am having a BLAST with it, although it's too *&$^%!!! hot to ride in the daytime right now, at least if you want to be seen afterwards. I'll take it to work in the morning, and wait for dusk to go home. 95 degrees and 95% humidity SUX in traffic. Nothing like sitting at a light and the fans kick on!

Only one "road trip" so far, went north of here a ways, took a county road around the bay, came back down to the beach, then back into town. Almost 50 miles. Traffic on the beach roads was not fun, but the rest was.

What's great about this bike is that it's already farkled out. Stainless brake lines on the front, accessory electrical terminals under the seat, voltmeter and gear indicator on the dash, Dale Walker cans. Original owner had highway pegs which required holes in the fairings to get to the engine mount bolt. He kept the pegs for his new bike (an '07 FJR - he wanted ABS.) I'm going to put a set of sliders there. I also got his dragon decal from Deal's Gap, although I've personally never been there. (I've driven 64 from Franklin, NC eastward in a Miata, though. . . )

First thing is I gotta find somebody who can help me tune the setup for my bulk - I'm a big boy, 6'0" and slightly over 250, so it may need some stiffening. I have ZERO suspension experience, and I don't think it's quite as simple as moving everything to "stiff."

Well, I'll try to find you a video, if not i'll go shoot one at the race-track, but at the 1/8th mile, the racing scooters, 180cc, running on alcohol, nitrous oxide, lightweight chassis etc, are making around 50 hp, put that on a thing that weights around 200 something pounds, and put a 9-12 year old pilot to drive it, and you got a 7.19s machine, scooters do low 7s and high 8s, depends on how they're tunned, a stock Hayabusa, can't catch the fastest scooter round here...I'll look for one dun worry bout that...

I thik he meant the part where you say that they are faster then a Hayabusa
which is very hard to believe i've to admit

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iqe45takhWw

That's one of the scooters, it's not the fastest, but it's a good time for a scooter, it did a 0'8:060 pass on the track. Fastest I've seen is 0'7:017 on one they call "Betty La Fea" ((Betty the ugly))
I'm having trouble verifying stock busa times in the 1/8. Even on the internet I can't verify that the times I have found so far are from stock bikes. I can find plenty of times in the 6 second range but from a stock busa, I just don't know. I guess we are at the point that you made a claim that you now must back up. Bring it on friend.;)
Thanks. I am having a BLAST with it, although it's too *&$^%!!! hot to ride in the daytime right now, at least if you want to be seen afterwards. I'll take it to work in the morning, and wait for dusk to go home. 95 degrees and 95% humidity SUX in traffic. Nothing like sitting at a light and the fans kick on!
Nothing better on a hot day like that then a fresh tank of gas!!! AHHHHHH
melting.gif

First thing is I gotta find somebody who can help me tune the setup for my bulk - I'm a big boy, 6'0" and slightly over 250, so it may need some stiffening. I have ZERO suspension experience, and I don't think it's quite as simple as moving everything to "stiff."
I haven't touched the suspension on any of my bikes in fear of that I will totally screw it up. I need to get it done because I'm sure my bike could feel much more responsive then it currently does. I know of a shop that builds race bikes that will set it up for free if I ever get my rump down to their place.

I haven't touched the suspension on any of my bikes in fear of that I will totally screw it up. I need to get it done because I'm sure my bike could feel much more responsive then it currently does. I know of a shop that builds race bikes that will set it up for free if I ever get my rump down to their place.

Everybody on the FJR forum just says write down your starting point (clicks left or right, whatever) and have at it. If you fubar it, go to what you wrote down. I just don't think I'd be any better at trial and error setting in real life than I am in TT. :dunce: It's not like I'm the type to carve up the Tail of the Dragon, but I'm sure it could be be more accomodating.

I DO like that the rear preload is a simple lever under the frame rail. The idea is 1-up soft, 2-up hard, no digging to get to the adjustment. With my bulk, though, my wife and I don't leave a lot of payload left for stuff, and one must have stuff!

It's aight, I'll do what I can to find a stock Busa 1/8th time, either way, I might as well just ask my teacher, who's an instructor and technical representative for Suzuki over in my country. Regardless, It's hard enough trying to find vids. of scooters on the 1/8th from my country, only managed to find the one posted above, but I'll dig around some even if I have to go to a local racetrack.

Fact: A 180cc scooter can outrun my 250cc on the 1/8th
A 180cc Scooter w/ NOS and race mods can outrun a 500cc Piaggio scooter.
A 180cc Scooter w/ Nos, Race mods; light weight chassis can outrun several 600cc sportsbikes.

Concidering the Busa's power comes beyond 3rd gear, seeing how a 600cc w/ a good pilot can stay besides a Busa until 3rd gear... It's logical that if a racing modded scooter can outrun a 600 on the 1/8th, it can also do a Busa... the problem isn't on the top speed end, the advantage the race-modded scooter has, isn't on the speed, it's because since it's an automatic, the pilot doens't need to worry about a clutch and a good launch, from the line, a scooter gets on average around 2-3 bikes jump on the other bikes. Hell, I have a 250cc, and a 155cc always got 1-2 bikes on me... I only managed to start to catch up half way through the 1/8th, and by the end of it, we were either neck and neck, or he was some few feet infront of me... and that was a pretty much stock 155cc w/out NOS and a 200 pound guy on it; I took on a couple of street legal 180cc; and they both got 4 bikes distance on the jump, and I only caught them when I was already doing around 85 mph. Obviously a scooter w/ that engine size, can't reach my scooter's higher speeds, but still is quite impressive.

Thanks. Its my first so i wanted something used to start with and I'm loving it(riding not the bike). It came with an aftermarket carbon fiber muzzy pipe and its very clean for a 2000 with 14k on it. Its red and has no stickers or decals, just plain deep red.

Back