What do you think of my model so far?

• Thread starter rjensen11
  • 51 comments
She's far from done, but here's a picture of the current progress. The next thing I'll work on is probably the mouth, seeing that that's what I'm working on right now and it's not that great; then I'll add some eyebrows, then hair, and then I'll add some texture lines, like the frown line and stuff. I'll post more rendered pictures once I get more progress done.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 267
Shouldnt this be in Photography and Graphics? On-Topic, it looks pretty good. It looks kind of freaky though because of the eyes, but otherwise well done.

Thanks for the input about the eyes. I can't find a good way to texture the veins on the eye yet, and it's somehow difficult for me to shape the skin around the eyes properly. Yeah, this could be in the Photography & Graphics, but seeing that I never knew GTP had a folder for that(All I've seen are for photoshop competitions) this was the logical place for me to post it.

proportion is odd, cheek bone is too pronounced at the nose. try boadening the face and reducing the forehead.

what are you using to make her?

thanks for the info, guys. What do you mean reducing the forehead? I'm planning on adding hair to her using the Shag: Hair plugins, but if you mean reducing the forehead by squashing the head from top down a little, I think it would look odd once the hair is added.

As for the program, I'm using 3d Studio Max 5, but I started the model out with an older version of the program. It took a while to patch the model because the mesh became extremely haywire when I opened it with the newer version.

okay, here she is so far. I'm going to try to change her hair into a ponytail, and I'm definately going to make sure she doesn't have a fro. After that, I'll touch up on the eyebrows again, then the lips, make a mouth & everything, then maybe, just maybe, create a body.

Attachments

• head preview.jpg
    head preview.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 206
i'd **** her..................

just kidding, that thng looks like a neandrothol. and the hair in the last picture is just, ... awesome.

what looks odd about her is that her cheek bones are way too low, under her nose almost. then her forehead is straight back and retard sized. see if you can make a more natural looking hair line. and do something about the forehead. IMO it shouldnt slant back like that.

cool though. i dont know how to do any of that 3d modeling stuff yet.

Thanks advanR, especially for talking in lay terms. I'll work on the cheeks and forehead first, especially the forehead, since that will effect the way the hair is generated.

other than the hair its great did you do it from scratch. you might want to think about getting the proportion correct e.g the bottom jaw sticks out to far

Her nose looks kind of fractured, nice model anyway. -- Moved to Photography & Graphics.

Her cheek bones and right below the eyes look kind of pushed inwards.

Other than that it's a very good head model

I took your comments and tried to fill in some of the problems for my model. Thanks everyone! There's still a lot of work, and I have a feeling the ponytail will take longer than previously thought, just all of that tweaking...:irked:
Let me know what you think of her now, something happened to the lip colour, but that should be easy to fix later

Attachments

• head preview.jpg
    head preview.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 175
I'm trying to decide whether I should fuse the two half of the face(I split it up so if I change one half, the opposite half is mirrored automatically) now or wait until later. I'm starting to think of doing that now, now that I've got most of the structure down(nose, mouth, jaw, cheecks, eye sockets, forehead, etc)

After that, I'll work on the torso, then maybe more stuff after that. If anyone would like the model, feel free to ask and I can send you the file. If you don't have 3dsm5 or later, tell me what format you want the file exported as, though, because I don't think the files are backward-compatable.

Cool. 3DS Max is a wicked program. Too bad I couldn't be bothered stuffinf around in it to work out how to make shapes other than the basic sphere, etc.

Eddy, I suggest getting the program again, if you can. If you find some basic tutorials, that's all you need. I started out with the basics, making boring Rogue Spear maps on r3.1. After I found out how to make basic rooms, I explored the functions for those export plugins. So I learned how to use edit mesh, the sub options for it(I didn't learn how to use all of them, in fact, I still don't know most, and I just learned how to color things on sub-scales), then I learned the UVW mapping, booleans, and then I played around with animations, beginning to learn how to move objects as a whole. I still don't know how to change the shape of objects, like bending certain parts and not others, but I'll learn eventually.

The thing I've realized is that friends help the most. Without one person who's been helping me understand a lot, I never would have gotten past the 2nd step on the tutorial I was following. I had no idea what it ment to add an "Edge loop", but once he told me all I had to do was cut the faces and configure one of the snaps to verteci's and midpoints, it came together.

So my best suggestion is to get it and find some basic tutorials, just to learn the functions, not how to do specific things; you'll learn that in due time.

Well, I changed the color of the hair and added a little bit more. I can't figure why part of the lips is not the right colour, but I'll hopefully get that later. Oh, and no, I don't know what changed the hair color, all I know is that I changed it, not how I changed it...

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 156
Originally posted by milefile
What program did you make that with?

3d Studio Max

I'm worried about the hair. It's gradually taking longer and longer to render the full head:eek: I'm thinking of maybe having a male head and just having a buzz hair-style, but it would take a while to change the features, like chin, forehead, etc. In fact, it might be better to make a new model for that, but time will tell... My main problem is that I don't know how I could make a male head, all the tutorials I've seen are for anime heads or female heads...

One thing that I have noticed in the iterations above, is that the proportion of hte nose to the rest of the face is off. It appears that the nose is almost twice as long as it should be.

If you look in the mirror, using your eyes as a measuring tool, you can judge the length of hte nose, the width of the lips, and the size of the ears.

The forehead is a marked improvement from the first post. I'm glad you've rejected the initial post of the hair.

Over all, a very good experiment, and the construction of the model looks good. Coloring is a tough one to tackle. The biggest hurdle you have now is not in the construction of hte model, but in the tweking of it to make it appear correct.

Take a look at this pic of Yasmine Bleeth, using her eyes as proportion, you can judge the width of her jaw, the locatio of the eyes in relation to the lips, and nose.

Good luck.

AO

Attachments

• yasmine01.jpg
    yasmine01.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 121
Yes, thank you for the example. I also typed something like Female Face in Google for the images category and found this picture to help me out:

Attachments

• face.jpeg
    face.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 106
A perfect example RJ11.

If you use her Yeys as proportional instruments, you can see that her nose is only slightly longer than the width of her eyeball. The width of her mouth is about equal to the length of her nose, and the eyeballs, are about "one eyeball" length apart.

Distance from the top of her lips to the bottom of her nose is equal to the white portion of her eye, and the distance from her bottom lip to her chin is about the same width as her nose at the nostrils.

So I think that if you bring the eyes slightly closer together, and raise the entire mouth/chin/lower nose area a bit she should be quite nice. I admire the talent you have. I've got no ability to replicate human faces. Houses, and buildings...not a problem. I'd likely be the worst person in the world to work with a police sketch artist. The hamburglar would get arrested instead of the Perp.

Yes, Yasmine is a beauty. Did you know she was the only "natural" woman in the entire series of Bay watch, and one of the few that didn't pose nude? She was also rumored to be the only one with any acting talent.

AO

Thanks for the info, AO.

I remember reading in the eye tutorial I followed that eyes are relatively the same size for all people, and that they're spaced one ball apart, approximately. I'll give the model some more attention later, probably after I finish some Euro projects my teacher piled on. Honestly, she doesn't have any idea how many projects she's given us in the past week where we have about 2 weeks to do them all. That's including a 'quality' video about 20 minutes long(with my luck, I ended up getting 3 chapters of NOTHING!!! It begins after the French Revolution and ends right before WW1, so I don't get to talk about wars at all!)

So I'll post some new pics once this quarter is over and all I have are easier classes with less busy work.

So...after the french revolution, and before WW1. This is a time of rebuilding. New architecture designs, Frank LLoyd Wright's emergence as perhaps the most noted US architect. A huge turning point in building expressions. Fits right in with your 3-d Model above.

Check this as a starting point for ideas:

http://www.donhead.com/architec.htm

Good luck,
AO

Well, it's about time I started up on this again! Here's my latest update, what do you think now?

P.S. I took the hair off(well, actually, it's still there, just hidden and not rendered, so it saves about 3 minutes off of the render time for a single picture) because it took too much time and resources. If you want to see the latest of the hair, look at the last photo with hair on it, it hasn't changed.
P.P.S Sorry about the skin being so dark, I'll work on the lighting the next time I run the program.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 69
One with the basic arms and hands. I'll work on building the outline of a basic human torso next, then work on legs and feet, then go into a tiny bit of detail for the torso, but nothing provocative.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 60
Back