What do you think the next Forza Horizon needs?

Discussion in 'Forza Horizon 4' started by phillkillv2, May 8, 2019.

1. Flashfire926

Flashfire926

As much as I would like that, it's not happening anytime soon probably, which is sad. I agree that a game set in Japan but with no Supra/AE86/MR2 will just feel incomplete.

L8 Apex and JoshMead like this.
  2. STAYIN_LOUD

STAYIN_LOUD

Customisable, garages, buy new garages, customise them, arrange and rearrange cars, basically forza vista but better,

3. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

What Horizon needs going forward is better integration of its world, the environment, and the activities within. Like TDU, it would better off actually embracing a certain lifestyle and exploiting it to the nth degree: car dealerships, lavish households, clothing, etc. It's already moving in the right direction with some of these aspects already, but I feel it would better off if it stopped trying to be "Forza Motorsport's little brother" and simply be what Motorsport could never be: an outlet to fully embrace car culture.

Going on 13 years and the original TDU is still the benchmark. There are guys from Bizarre Creations onboard; have them inject some more of PGR into the game as well. Horizon can really be this larger than life open world racing game, but it's stuck straddling the lines too much and I don't think it's doing it any favors.

Northstar likes this.
  4. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows Premium

I agree wholeheartedly, and it surprises me that Horizon is lagging behind with licensed clothing in that regard when the first game *did* have such a thing (that teal G-Shock watch on the player character's wrist and kind of bog standard Adidas tees scattered about) and now that NFS Heat is getting into it, also with licensed brands. It certainly would do well to have in FH5.

But then we hit a Catch 22 - we've both already seen people have hissyfits about there being such a greater emphasis on player character customization in FH4, that it detracts from the main game as a whole, and the fact that people don't like getting clothing in the Wheelspins. (I frankly could care less, mainly because this game throws prize money and cars at you so often that it's offset, though it feels strange to have it locked behind wheelspins and Forzathon shop promotions) and I imagine that a greater emphasis on the good life, as good of an idea as that is, and the natural evolution of Horizon as a wide ranging idea, would cause probably even more hissyfits on par with the LEGO expansion because somehow it is an affront to the car culture, as you pointed out.

I definitely agree that this sort of tethering at the hip with FM is not doing it any favors, but lets be real here, there's going to be people seriously complaining and making up a stink like when GT Sport focused mainly upon online racing, and I think Playground is seriously worried about going full hog and going the TDU route and inviting that *********, even though I think they're one of the few developers in the racing game space that can do it well, and make it make sense.

Terronium-12 likes this.
  5. strela

strela

Benchmark for what? The only thing that TDU did good had nothing to do with driving. How many players really care for house interiors or virtual garages? How much time would someone spend using those features? How many resources would be needed to meet today's graphic standards? How much would they need to sacrifice? Because those features also weight a lot.

6. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows Premium

Give them a reason to care then, considering what we have now is pointless when they basically only serve as new fast travel points, and sometimes have the benefit of looking at liveries from natural angles in the sunlight.

No, they don't. Like, at all. Considering these things are already in the game, it's simply a matter of going completely full hog with it. And your reasoning of having it detract from the development of other features and cars seems funnily suspect too, considering that as it stands right now, the creation of clothing assets in the actual game has basically been nil since release, and instead focused on trying to improve the game and deliver vehicles.

7. strela

strela

I remember very well TDU. One thing I remember is I didn't care for those houses. In fact I bought those houses only because connected to the number of slots available for car storage. Is this a good enough reason? Don't get me wrong. Everything that helps improving immersion is a welcome addition to any game. I just think that modeling a fully functional home is a waste of time. Maybe a garage would work better but with 600-700 cars is going to be useless at some point.
    I should really stop. This is a What do you think not What you should think thread. It is just that TDU is one of a few driving games that really disappointed me at the point I regret buying it. And I still can't get over it.
    Now... I think that the next Horizon game should include a working Odometer on every car!

8. CarGuru

CarGuru

This may sound like a step backwards but I feel like it is one of those cases where you get too far in the whole realism aspect where it then starts to backfire. In this case I am talking about the dynamic weather system. Not just the seasons changing, but the whole weather being too realistic in regard to (in this case) Britain. Since they wanted to make it just like how it is in real life, you are mostly likely driving around when it is very cloudy and not that bright, and it rains much more often. This usually exhibits a dull vibe. In Horizon 3, not only was the map of Australia so beautiful, but it was nice how most of the time it was bright and sunny. To me they don't need to prioritize on working on this aspect anymore in the next installment.

This also points out one of the most important things the next Horizon MUST do (which to me is a major thing Horizon 4 was a step backwards in) and that is to have the location style be like Horizon 3 rather than 4. Despite 4 having far more great driving roads, the choice to have the location setting as a historic place all around was poor. Even the city area is old school. It just isn't engaging. This is one of the reasons why many people including me enjoy Horizon 3 more and often go back to play it (especially during winter season of Horizon 4....ugh). It had the perfect mix of a modern major city near the beach, the outback for off roading, a nice forest area to drive through and some rural areas with roads and highways to connect them all. It was just a nice captivating world to be in. The world of Horizon 4 on the other hand doesn't sit that well with having an old place and then randomly a festival is in the middle playing music. The castles aren't even as appealing as I thought they would be.

STAYIN_LOUD likes this.
  9. STAYIN_LOUD

STAYIN_LOUD

The garage thing was inspired by TDU/PGR, two games that are still yet to be beaten

10. strela

strela

I would never put those games in the same basket. Because PGR was actually a solid game... later beaten by the likes of FM4 or GT4 to name a few. TDU on the other hand was just a mediocre game and was murdered by itself. The sequel was identical despite 5 years of development. Even The Crew which is considered a mediocre game by many is lightyears ahead of it. And the first game came just 3 years after TDU2. Not to mention monsters like GTA. Yeah, sure nobody will ever beat those two games.

RazorSharkz likes this.
  11. STAYIN_LOUD

STAYIN_LOUD

Idk, this is my opinion but PGR4 was one of the best games I ever played, I only played TDU1 for the platinum mod, I played TDU2 for its car list mainly

12. mustafur

mustafur

TDU1 for it's time was revolutionary, TDU2 was done on a shoe string budget and tbh I don't see as a true successor.

I really liked how there was physical Car dealers in that game that looked legitimate not some underground garage that sells Hypercars.

I do think Horizon could improve if it took some Elements of TDU with it in the future though.

Number 1 for me though is bring back Private servers, I'm sick of randoms sometimes.