what drive train do you use to drift

Each drivetrain have their pros and cons but FR is the most popular and it also requires lesser amount of power to spin the tires as the rear axle has less mass on it. Common sense.

Edit: Most of my drifters are FR but I use MR too. I have only a few RR cars and I don't drift them so often as my FR's.

Last edited:
I'm trying everything, except FF..

Played around with FR the most....AWDs are deceiving...

but magically had a lot of luck with a near-stock MR... Going to invest a bit more time into this.

These threads have such low discussion value it's awful... Can't you guys make your threads have some more value? This thread could have been more like "What drive train do you use and why? What re your reasons? Is it because it's easier? What led you to making that choice, how did you arrive at this decision, stuff like that...

These threads have such low discussion value it's awful... Can't you guys make your threads have some more value? This thread could have been more like "What drive train do you use and why? What re your reasons? Is it because it's easier? What led you to making that choice, how did you arrive at this decision, stuff like that...

You are soo right! Well, i use only fr. its amazing drifting cars like s13, mazda rx7 etc. in my opinion awd is for people who dont know how to drift properly or dont like to tandem! ( wich by the way ios awsome! )

i apologize if my thread is not entertianing enough im wanting only to get some basic info from my "peers" here on gt planet i will remember to be more ..... interesting in the future

im going to have to say you are the first one i have heard that drifts in reverse. but hey thats what you like doing i have to ask does it work well?

Sometimes it leads towards arguments and ego match ups.
Sticky <3

Last edited:
Personally I like drifting AWD. I'm with the AWDrift team so yeah lol. I personally feel like drifting is about style and AWD kicks up more smoke and is a tad easier to control. Let's you drift in a more driver appeal way IMO.

I do drift my M3 E92 occasionally.

Sometimes it usually leads towards arguments and ego match ups.

Then those users should be warned or reported if neccessary... Since the drifting forum's content has almost ALWAYS been Opinion-based, it certainly doesn't make any sense when one wants to explains their reasoning or thoughts only to get shot down by others. It is an opinion after all... However I do see how that can happen, best thing for posters is to avoid sounding like they stated fact, or nit-picky people avoid being over-corrective.

BTW, "sometimes" and "usually" don't go in the same sentence, it's almost contradicting each other :lol:

Personally I like drifting AWD. I'm with the AWDrift team so yeah lol. I personally feel like drifting is about style and AWD kicks up more smoke and is a tad easier to control. Let's you drift in a more driver appeal way IMO.

I do drift my M3 E92 occasionally.

Its not always about smoke. I'm not a hater of AWD drifting i do it now and then when im bored, but i use FR and the skill level required to get those HUGE angles is alot greater than AWD hence why people use it. BUT, if you use AWD to it's full potential it is alot harder than any of the other drivetrains to use.

but if it's smoke you want then thats easilly achieved. Believe it or not in GT5 you CAN set your suspension to get more or less smoke. I have a Z06 that when i use it, i repeatedly get told it has too much smoke lol

As for my drivetrain of choice, like i said FR. I find it the most rewarding to use and can be the hardest at times. Currently in love with my stealth looking Z06. Go on say it..? Too much power!
The car runs stock upgrades except Suspension Drivetrain and exhaust! It is truly a beast of a car. I love the FR cars and would never jump ship!

I mainly use FR cars. I'm not the following kind of person, but when yo uwant to tandem, you are aiming to have equal cars to make it easier and more fun for everyone. AWD's mess up the tandems imo, cause of speed and angles. Thats my reason for the dislike.

And for the smoke, i guess (keyword, guess) it has to do with the amount of the wheelspin, so higher powered cars will tend to smoke a lot more :D

then those users should be warned or reported if neccessary... Since the drifting forum's content has almost always been opinion-based, it certainly doesn't make any sense when one wants to explains their reasoning or thoughts only to get shot down by others. It is an opinion after all... However i do see how that can happen, best thing for posters is to avoid sounding like they stated fact, or nit-picky people avoid being over-corrective.

Btw, "sometimes" and "usually" don't go in the same sentence, it's almost contradicting each other :lol:

fixxed!

I only drift awd out of spite for pd and kaz...this game is obviously japan biased and they decided not to include rwd drivetrain swaps for imprezas evos and skylines..I personally feel that is total bs given these cars' popularity w/in drifting competitions both professional and amateur..so I truck along w/ 10/90 split and suspension alterations, waiting for the patch that will probably never be.. I guess the worst part of it all is for those of wanting to replicate d1gp and msc online w/in gt5..there's not going to be much diversity in the cars to be used...as I've seen from this forum alone using 10/90 is a quick way to get kicked from room despite the skill level of the driver..a crying shame....
And for our euro-friends, audi should be able to get the full rwd treatment as well in my honest opinion..end of rant..

Last edited:
How is not including drivetrain swaps being biased? There is probably good reason that they didn't include alot of things that the community wants.

The bias is referring to the prevalence and variety of japanese cars avail, not the drivetrain swaps, or rather lack thereof..the 3 japanese cars I mentioned are those regularly seen in professional and amateur drifting comps in japan that sport rwd swaps(heck I've even seen a rwd swapped celica gt-four compete)the audi was an honorable mention given their presence in euro drift competitions...yes in any sanctioned event I've ever heard of it is rwd only(fr,mr,rr) but evos imprezas and skylines were the beautiful asterisk to the rule that required nowhere near as much fabrication as todays little concoctions(translation: rwd scions) to make competition legal..so just to clarify, I primarily drift rwd but for the aforementioned reasons I also dabble a bit into awd..

Who knows if Kaz wanted to put in Conversion. He wanted 2 more years of production, before we didn't have it and we did fine. Drifting it self is still small but growing at a fast pace. I believe that in 2005, they did a RWD Scion but to my belief. They would want real facts on how a Non RWD vehicle will act as a stock RWD. Just wait or petition for it. Its not the end of the game nor production of it.

Back