What exactly is the point of Forzavista?

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 87 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
MHFanatik
It seems like a ton of effort goes into modelling the engines, trunks and all, but what exactly is the point of it? Forzavista as it is seems extremely limited and I never spend more than a couple minutes looking at the car, the narration is often generalized for an entire brand or model lineup and isn't really deep enough to provide any insight, the points of interest are pretty boring and don't even have voiceover, the engine startup sequences don't sound anything like the real things(something that GT5/6 beat Forza at in the sound department). Overall it seems boring and unnecessary.

I read this thread nodding profusely and your avatar makes me wish Greenawalt actually asked this.

I agree with you 110%.

The only time I heard anyone say anything good about this is that as a car modeller, he likes to look closely at the details of the car in Forza 5 and see if he can transfer the details to his plastic scale model.

I think we are too far down the rabbit hole to change. I dont care about opening doors and looking at the engine. I want to race.

I wish they just did it like GT6 where you have the car and you can spin it around to look at the livery and new wheels/bodykit. That's it.

But they sold this thing as Forzavista for every car so they're not going to go back on it.

However I want to dispel the notion that Turn 10 dont know what they're doing, they know EXACTLY what they're doing. They most certainly have detailed stats on how long people spend in Forzavista and they probably find its significant.

If they found out that no one was using it, they would probably get rid of it, but its going to have to manifest itself in many iterations and maybe by Forza 9, it'll be gone.

Some people just like looking at the car, and looking at all of these bits and bobs (or even just knowing it's there). And saying that your car models are super uber detailed inside and out brings in sales to the general audience. And from what I can tell, Forza is a bit more about money than anything, so it's a good selling point. Personally, I agree with you though, and they'd probably be better off not taking the time to do all those details, and get more content in the game. Because you can sell new content as DLC, not so much with a detailed 3D model of the trunk.

The advertising spiel would be that their modelling team spends maybe a little bit more time maybe 10% more to do Autovista and that it doesnt take away from resources for other parts of the game yadda yadda...

Also people love virtual photography and they like to look at their own liveries. I can see how that would be useful. That aint for me but however you get your jollies then great.

The advertising spiel would be that their modelling team spends maybe a little bit more time maybe 10% more to do Autovista and that it doesnt take away from resources for other parts of the game yadda yadda...

Also people love virtual photography and they like to look at their own liveries. I can see how that would be useful. That aint for me but however you get your jollies then great.
We used to get 10 car per month in DLC, but now we only get 7, seems like the resources aren't distributed well enough.

You so cynical, I dont like you.

I'm sure they will say that the Forza 6 models are SOOOO much more detailed and sounds more accurate than the 10 cars you got in Forza 4 so you're actually getting MORE value.

7 > 10 in Microsoft land.

I like it. Preferred if we could see the detailing in-race however, like PCars. One of the things they got right.

"Most content". By what metric. This is what I hate about forums that are fans of one product or series. You dont get objective comment.

In what universe is 7 cars better than 10? Forza does have a lot of content. True. It costs a hell of a lot of money for less though.

But you're right, the way I see it is how many food manufacturers give you less per serving for the same money and people think its great. Because they took the koolaid and realsitically what can you do about it? Nothing.

Turn10 made a mistake giving you 10 cars last time. It should always be 7. Next time round it'll be 5. And people will ask you to 'be grateful'.

I like Forza 6 but dont tell me 7 is better than 10. My love of Forza doesnt make me stupid.

Does minus 3 cars actually bothers you? Be grateful. Forza DLC has the most content than any other racing games.
It's still good, but 10 was even better, and with the amount of cars that still haven't made the jump to currentgen from Forza 4 I'd like them to move on a bit quicker with the transition. Forza 6's DLC has been decent, but it's not as good as Forza 4 was.

I bought the VW Touraeg on the Crew last night for cruising the map. Went to buy the McLaren F1 and it was over £3 for one car. Forza still strikes me as very good value for DLC.

It's still good, but 10 was even better, and with the amount of cars that still haven't made the jump to currentgen from Forza 4 I'd like them to move on a bit quicker with the transition. Forza 6's DLC has been decent, but it's not as good as Forza 4 was.
Maybe because it takes more work on Forza 6? Just saying even with current T10 DLC plan, its still the biggest compared to the other games.

I like it. Preferred if we could see the detailing in-race however, like PCars. One of the things they got right.

On the PC version, that isnt so much of a problem. But when it comes to the console version, that, along with a decent sized grid, weather effects, night racing, and other things; brings with it a highly unstable frame rate.

T10 specifically use a better LOD (level of detail) management system, as this allows them to have more going on at a lower cost to resources. And it also allows them to keep things at a rock solid 60FPS, which is a target they have set themselves. T10 firmly believe that 60fps is the bare minimum for a simulation track based racing game, and they are not wrong. Having that frame rate provides Forza with fairly smooth gameplay, and that is a must in a fast paced game.

the point of vista existence is so that we can have this kind of threads.

modelling in detail in my book is a step forward.
maybe in a few years you will get to do your upgrades in vista mode too.
unless of course....

Useless feature.

Typical sign of developers out of touch with reality and what most people are looking for in a game.

"Most content". By what metric. This is what I hate about forums that are fans of one product or series. You dont get objective comment.
The most content, as in it literally gets the most content on a monthly basis, for sometimes up to a year, adding 50+ cars in 6 months time. The game is long supported, even sometimes after the advertised packs. That's likely what he means.

In what universe is 7 cars better than 10? Forza does have a lot of content. True. It costs a hell of a lot of money for less though.
Which was irrelevant and changes nothing about his point. You even agreed on it, so I'm unsure why you made such a fuss in the first place. It costs the same amount of money for "less", not a lot more.
But you're right, the way I see it is how many food manufacturers give you less per serving for the same money and people think its great. Because they took the koolaid and realsitically what can you do about it? Nothing.
I would assume that the difference in a content per pack would likely have to do to the generational leap, and the amount of detail they're stuffing into it. Forzavista may have something to do with that, but like you said, they probably saw that it was being used significantly and decided to model cars in such a way. I enjoy looking at the tidbits of a car, and I also enjoy using it for photomode as well so it's not a complete loss.

I like Forza 6 but dont tell me 7 is better than 10. My love of Forza doesnt make me stupid.
No one told you that, nor hinted at it.

Last edited:
I'm sure many of us are die-cast collectors and with 1:18 scale and above, it's always enjoyable looking at the details they've captured. Nobody needs scale model cars, but they're nice to have. Forzavista in a nutshell.

It's like a digital scale model collection and I love it for that reason.

It seems like a ton of effort goes into modelling the engines, trunks and all, but what exactly is the point of it? Forzavista as it is seems extremely limited and I never spend more than a couple minutes looking at the car, the narration is often generalized for an entire brand or model lineup and isn't really deep enough to provide any insight, the points of interest are pretty boring and don't even have voiceover, the engine startup sequences don't sound anything like the real things(something that GT5/6 beat Forza at in the sound department). Overall it seems boring and unnecessary.

These games are made primarily as graphical showcases. Photomodes started so that marketers could post super high quality shots and honestly label them as "in-game". Forzavista is the next evolution of that, a separate mode that is dedicated to displaying the car in ultra high quality but is still technically "in-game".

I mean, they're nice to look at and all but I doubt they'd bother if there wasn't the marketing angle to it.

The thing I hate is, unless you go and specifically put the car back to stock, you can't look under the hood for those that offer it (another why did they do that). I'm curious why they didn't just do Forzavista in the section where you buy the car.

As far as car pack content, it's too bad they didn't do 10 cars, with 7 new and 3 returning. Sure you would still have the complainers, but they could have kept the 10 of past games and brought back more that people missed from FM4.

I like Forzavista just for the fact that when I download a cool daddy design someone made, I can check it out in detail. I also like checking out the interiors in certain cars. Could I do without it? Yeah probably, but it's an extra bonus to have it. If the main game was severely lacking in major areas, then I could see it being a bigger issue, but it's not.

As far as the car packs go, everyone's into different stuff I know, but to me these have been the best DLC cars in any Forza to date, by far. That's just this guys opinion. I'm fine with only 7. Even if you didn't get the car pass, that's only $1 a car. :cheers:

Last edited:
For me, when you see cars you've owned in the past and seeing that it's fully Forzavitable, it brings back so many memories. My grandfather was playing Forza with me, and he saw that there was a '40 Ford De Luxe coupe, which was his first car, and it brought back memories of the car and he was telling me all about the car and why something was where it was, and his crazy stories of how he fixed something, etc.

For most people it's just a nice to have and it's pretty. For others, it's a great trip down memory lane.

Last edited:
Whats the point? Is to maximize the model potential. You want to experience the detail of the cars, from the Multimillion Koenigsegg to the crummy 70's Corolla.

And theres the damage model. Those inside models have meaning in gameplay when you crash alot.

For me, when you see cars you've owned in the past and seeing that it's fully Forzavitable, it brings back so many memories. My grandfather was playing Forza with me, and he saw that there was a '40 Ford De Luxe coupe, which his first car, and it brought back memories of the car and he was telling me all about the car and why something was where it was, and his crazy stories of how he fixed something, etc.

For most people it's just a nice to have and it's pretty. For others, it's a great trip down memory lane.

My dad came over back in January, and we had a similar situation with the '69 Firebird. He had one when he first met my mom, and while it wasn't a Trans Am model, he got sucked in when I helped recreate his old ride. Same paint, same Cragar rims, the works. He liked being able to look at every inch of the car.

I think that's who it appeals to: the folks that aren't deep into the genre. The casuals. It's a lot more interesting to them than a simple Google search, or even car configuration sites (and those mostly apply to new cars anyway).

And theres the damage model. Those inside models have meaning in gameplay when you crash alot.
I believe only the exteriors/cockpit are used when in game, and only the exteriors are damaged. They are not linked. It would be a waste of resources to have a fully modeled engine, trunk, and so on, while in game when they are not visible in any way.

The real question is what would the point be in not having it? Advanced 3D modelling is the norm nowadays and hopefully an investment into the future, so why not put it to good use for those who like to admire cars?

Pressing X in the main menu is something I now always do as an acquired habit. I use it to quickly access customization and painting. Furthermore, it's a nice feature just after having applied decals or simply drool over the cars.

Because car lovers sometimes get nuts about... Well, nuts. And bolts. And all the small details that, put together, make a car.

Sometimes I just like to take a pause from racing, press X, open the bonnet and look at the engine compartment of my car. It's... Therapeutic, almost. And it makes the cars feel more... Real? Honestly, if I owned a Porsche 356 or a Renault 5 Turbo I'd spend a lot of time looking at the clockwork-like mechanics that make my prized possession move. I can't do that in real life, thank the Maker there's Forza!

Heck, my car has a plastic shroud over the engine block and I still like to look at it. So getting to see the engines of things like Auto Union Type D, Caterham R500 and Mercedes SLR to pick three off the top of my head is a real treat.

Back