What games are you playing now?

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 5,776 comments
Here are some more games I played today...

I started up Barony. Barony is a dungeon RPG with a lot of voxel models. It is a dungeon crawler that is fairly engaging. However, it can sometimes be difficult and tricky. I mostly spent time doing the Hall of Trials, where you learn how to play the game. And... there is a LOT to learn. So I recommend anyone playing Barony try the tutorial rooms first before stupidly going into battle. Once I did play the original game, I found this game has a Roguelike structure in which certain items will appear at certain times in the same dungeon. As you get killed (and you will a lot), you will note some things in the same dungeon. For example, where you might find a worn sword on the ground in one save, you may find a magic scroll in that same location or nearby in another save. It will really test your dungeon survival training.

Cave Story+ has been around for a while, but recently has been my first time playing it. It's a pretty fun run-and-gun. The game seems to be a lot more like Metroid than Metal Slug. There are a lot of shooting elements as well as platforming. It's a classic you should try out if you haven't already.

Descent is not a new experience to me, but I bought it on Steam just to have it, because I thought I had this game for free on a disk or something. Descent 2, however, was a new experience. I never got to play Descent 2 until recently. Both of these games are intense exploration games within mines with you piloting a ship while blasting robots.

I'm glad to get on this classic PC gaming trip of late.

Not started playing yet, but picked up a couple of PS5 games off my wishlist in the latest sale.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - Galactic Edition

Both £35 digital. I bought the disc edition intending to keep getting physical copies and now only buy digital. I’m just too lazy to deal with the discs and the drive can be quite noisy on my machine (likely due to the useless wobbly horizontal stand). At some point in the future I’ll probably build up the boxed collection when they are cheap.

Played Citizen Sleeper. I spent first 30 minutes or so not really knowing what the heck was going on, but it really sucked me in once I got into its groove. First playthrough I had was so spellbinding that I immediately started second one to see what kind of stories I've missed, and I wish I hadn't done that because all the mushroom business near the end completely lost me. Maybe I was expecting a little too much from the game.

I was looking threw the extra library on psn with 0 interest in playing any of the games till I saw Lawn Mowing Simulator PS5 I have never played a game of this kind but I just got the urge to cut grass? I don't know either way no regrets in downloading this game already completed a few lawns. :)

I was looking threw the extra library on psn with 0 interest in playing any of the games till I saw Lawn Mowing Simulator PS5 I have never played a game of this kind but I just got the urge to cut grass? I don't know either way no regrets in downloading this game already completed a few lawns. :)
I didn't know what I was expecting with that one, I downloaded it and spent the few first minutes getting into the game itself and then the realisation that oh, they want me to sit here and cut this whole grass like for real without any gimmicks :lol:

As I don't keep up with current consoles/games like I used to, I've been picking up games for my older consoles. Just got 'done' playing Test Drive 6 on PS1. I got about half way through before losing interest. I remembered it being so fun back in the day, but the handling physics are just not enjoyable at all, especially as you got into the faster cars, and it was starting to feel like I was forcing myself to continue, so I just stopped. I'm now playing Auto Modellista on PS2, and it's not bad. Physics are still awkward and a bit frustrating, especially at lower speeds, but I think it's the cool cel-shaded graphics that are keeping it entertaining enough for me. The fact that you can modify the cars with real-world body kits and wheels is awesome too.

Last edited:
GT7's dailies being a bit meh this week I've decided to boot up a game that's been sitting in my library for ages but I have barely got started in.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.38.51.png

Story feels very linear so far and every character loves to yap between missions, which I assume is great for the dedicated fan but I'm happy you can skip it at least, the flight model and graphics are great though and just zooming around between giant destroyers etc. and blasting fools out of the sky is a lot of fun.. As is playing both sides through the story.

Looks like the multiplayer is still running if not particularly active though I'd assume at this stage I'll be a sitting duck so will likely skip that entirely.

GT7's dailies being a bit meh this week I've decided to boot up a game that's been sitting in my library for ages but I have barely got started in.

View attachment 1221666

Story feels very linear so far and every character loves to yap between missions, which I assume is great for the dedicated fan but I'm happy you can skip it at least, the flight model and graphics are great though and just zooming around between giant destroyers etc. and blasting fools out of the sky is a lot of fun.. As is playing both sides through the story.

Looks like the multiplayer is still running if not particularly active though I'd assume at this stage I'll be a sitting duck so will likely skip that entirely.

That one is fantastic in VR. Sitting in the X-wing cockpit, looking up & around at the stars, activating the computer like Luke in the trench run, swooping past an enormous Star Destroyer. Hoping it gets a PSVR2 update.

I played more of Cave Story, and I reached the ending! ...the BAD ending. I thought I had to re-do the entire game, but I saved and continued on from what should be the rest of the game. I feel more and more like this has a lot of Metroid influecen than any other run-and-gun. That is not a bad thing by any stretch.

Honestly, I think Barony is the only dungeon-crawling RPG I've really invested the most time and energy towards. I learned recently that this voxel-based RPG really does use a voxel format for its models. Also, I can read the voxel models in MagicaVoxel. So that means I have a good chance to study these models and gain insight into better voxel modeling techniques. As for the game itself, I still have gone no deeper than Level 3 of the dungeon. The challenge of going deeper and deeper into the dungeon is about as challenging as going as far down as possible in the Skull Cavern in "Stardew Valley" (which I haven't played in a while). The one thing you will fear most is trying to defeat the Minotaur. The Minotaur is a beast that may appear in one level of the dungeon and will willingly wreck you. I have yet to defeat the Minotaur in this game. Otherwise, this has been one of the coolest RPG experiences I've been a part of.

Still playing NFS Unbound which has been so darn fun for me. I love the way it handles, such a fun arcade game.

Also, WRC Generations has also been very fun for me. Been doing the weekly and dailies here and there for team rank up!

Finally decided to play through the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I'm going through the ME1, which must be for the first time in a decade. I'm just taking it slow and easy - just became Spectre and got full control of galaxy map and such - but nostalgia trip is incredible.

I was newcomer to Canada when I started playing this game, and I was quite a shy guy back then, so (although it might sound weird to natives) games like this was how I learned English conversations. And now it's more than a decade ago. Really takes me back.

Finally decided to play through the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I'm going through the ME1, which must be for the first time in a decade. I'm just taking it slow and easy - just became Spectre and got full control of galaxy map and such - but nostalgia trip is incredible.

I was newcomer to Canada when I started playing this game, and I was quite a shy guy back then, so (although it might sound weird to natives) games like this was how I learned English conversations. And now it's more than a decade ago. Really takes me back.
I first started learning English by playing the original resident evil games and trying to solve the puzzles. There was no option for my native language in the game and no Internet to search the solutions.

As much as games are seen as a bad thing for young kids there is a lot to be learned by playing them.

As for what I am playing now I have been trying (and failing) to like the combat in FF16, but I have god of war ragnarok on order so that will be taking up my time when it arrives 🙌

I have still been playing Barony and Cave Story+.

I now have a new personal best as to how far I've gotten in this dungeon-crawling RPG. I was able to make it down to Level 11 of the dungeon. I made significant progress using the Monk. The Monk is fast and attacks without a weapon. I was even fortunate to find some human allies to help me along the way. The most common enemies I get defeated by are skeletons, trolls, and the dreaded Minotaur. I disabled the Minotaur, which gave me more time to find more items. You nearly have to employ speedrun strategies to quickly progress through the game.

As for "Cave Story+," I recently beat this game! I beat it on the Easy setting. I am now playing this game on the Original difficulty. A lot of what I had to do now is more like a pop quiz. I also now have to try to beat this game on a harder difficulty. Cave Story is a very good game! It is a Metroid-style game (though not a Metroidvania) with the run-and-gun intensity of Contra or Metal Slug. It's been out since 2011, so if you never played it, feel free to pick this one up.

Started playing Raceroom... Very underrated I'm my opinion. Yes graphics is a bit outdated, but ffb and gameplay is top notch. Best sounds I have heard in a racing game.

My Steam Deck is currently just a mobile Vampire Survivors device.
I've got VS and played one game, I honestly don't really get the appeal but I'm still worried that with a little more effort I'll get sucked into it like practically everyone else and if I take that much time off Cyberpunk I'll forget how to play.

Like last night, I got L1 and R1 confused, walked into a busy bar, pulled the pin on a grenade and stood there for a sec unsure if I could cancel a grenade throw. Figured it out but then got kicked to death by a businesswoman because the people cowering in the doorway blocked my exit.

Started playing Raceroom... Very underrated I'm my opinion. Yes graphics is a bit outdated, but ffb and gameplay is top notch. Best sounds I have heard in a racing game.
I have good memories of R3E, excellent audio and some great cars like Group 5 (back when the only other Gr5 cars were found in mods of variable quality for rFactor) and the NSU TT. Didn't play it anywhere near enough before I had to pack my wheel away.

I've got VS and played one game, I honestly don't really get the appeal but I'm still worried that with a little more effort I'll get sucked into it like practically everyone else and if I take that much time off Cyberpunk I'll forget how to play.

Like last night, I got L1 and R1 confused, walked into a busy bar, pulled the pin on a grenade and stood there for a sec unsure if I could cancel a grenade throw. Figured it out but then got kicked to death by a businesswoman because the people cowering in the doorway blocked my exit.

I have good memories of R3E, excellent audio and some great cars like Group 5 (back when the only other Gr5 cars were found in mods of variable quality for rFactor) and the NSU TT. Didn't play it anywhere near enough before I had to pack my wheel away.

I have a few games like that which have been set aside for a while and I'll probably need to play through the tutorial again before jumping in to the real save :lol:

VS is deceptive because it seems very simple with the single stick control scheme but I think there are some interesting things going on once you dig in. I love twin stick shooters that are in a similar vein and this is just great as a game to pick up and play for 30 mins or less here and there.

I love twin stick shooters that are in a similar vein
Yeah, see, I had more fun with 20 Minutes Till Dawn, VS felt a bit too hands off. But like I said, I'm afraid I'll get hooked so it's on the list of things to go back to when I don't have a big game with a story to play through... Along with like 60 other games, but never mind that.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 on PC to hold me off until the Cyberpunk DLC arrives.

117 mods and counting.

Last edited:
Finished Auto Modellista. Was decently fun, but more than anything it makes me wish I were a game developer because while it's definitely not the best racer I've played, it's massively inspirational and has qualities I'd incorporate into my perfect car game (I can't be the only one who daydreams about that). Namely the cel-shaded graphics; the showcasing of older Japanese cars and the mods people actually do to them in real life with real brands (equal attention to the American and European scenes would have been nice); and how the game adjusts the difficulty of the races as you progress to suit whatever car you choose, so you're not forced into racing the super fast high-end cars if that's not your taste. If you want to race an older, slower car, the game puts you against opponents in other older slower, cars. They just get harder to beat in the higher levels.

On to the next 'classic' game. A friend who manages a storage center gets to pick through abandoned units, and in one he found a big stash of PS2 games. It wasn't a serious gamer's collection and he kept most, but allowed me to grab a couple he wasn't interested in. I just popped in Maximo: Ghosts to Glory. I remember one of my old OPM discs having a demo of this game that was pretty fun, so I'm excited to dig in...

I knew about Motor Toon Grand Prix but didn’t know about PD also made Omega Boost. First saw about it in a Metal Jesus Rocks video. Played a couple of levels to make sure it works, and seems pretty fun.

So now that I have this, I decided to get Motor Toon GP as well.
452352BC-1263-42B9-ADE8-4101499F1D48.jpeg

83DACA4C-237F-4C62-97AE-E4D95BC8C51B.jpeg

I knew about Motor Toon Grand Prix but didn’t know about PD also made Omega Boost. First saw about it in a Metal Jesus Rocks video. Played a couple of levels to make sure it works, and seems pretty fun.

So now that I have this, I decided to get Motor Toon GP as well.
View attachment 1222873
View attachment 1222872
Remember reading about Omega Boost years ago, but I have never played it.

Always thought it looked a bit like Zone of Enders.

I remember Omega Boost being rock hard, I had it and I think I got past the first level once. Obviously what I should've done was use an elastic band to hold R2 down and leave it doing its thing for a while... @tbtstt it's kind of like Star Fox if I remember correctly.

@CyborgGT thanks to you I've just spent time I should've been Cyberpunking playing Auto Modellista instead.

Back