What grid sizes can we expect in Gran Turismo 7? (32 players to a grid is possible!)

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 112 comments

How big of a grid would you like to see in GT7?

Votes: 76 46.3%

Votes: 53 32.3%

Votes: 20 12.2%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 12 7.3%

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
If you look at the car count for some of the bigger racing series, I think it shows 24 is the minimum to give them justice but 32 would be more ideal

43 - NASCAR
38 - Super GT
34 - TUSC
32 - WEC
30 - BTCC
25 - V8 Supercars
24 - Indycar
24 - DTM
20 - Formula 1
17 - WTCC

PD have filled some grid positions with older race cars, Base Models and cars that fit their(PD) PP criteria.
I don't know how game they'd be to double up S-Tai cars and WRC cars in a 32 car grid for a 550pp offline race. They'll have to up the car count with new race cars.

As it is in GT6, 32 NASCAR models, seems likely PD will make this the standard. Maybe Nurburgring will be like Sierra depending what class of car is chosen (maybe not if it's a GT event) in offline races. 32 Super GT cars (not counting the GT300/500 black Base Models) and 29 LMP Prototypes, PD is going to have pull a miracle trying to get a 25 car grid with V8SC, DTM and anything BTCC. Then again, makes me scratch my head if they'll even go above 16.

PD have filled some grid positions with older race cars, Base Models and cars that fit their(PD) PP criteria.
I don't know how game they'd be to double up S-Tai cars and WRC cars in a 32 car grid for a 550pp offline race. They'll have to up the car count with new race cars.

As it is in GT6, 32 NASCAR models, seems likely PD will make this the standard. Maybe Nurburgring will be like Sierra depending what class of car is chosen (maybe not if it's a GT event) in offline races. 32 Super GT cars (not counting the GT300/500 black Base Models) and 29 LMP Prototypes, PD is going to have pull a miracle trying to get a 25 car grid with V8SC, DTM and anything BTCC. Then again, makes me scratch my head if they'll even go above 16.
I don't think that would be an issue, just spam randomly painted base models. :D

Almost. In 2015, there were 151 starters at the Nürburgring 24 hours.
I wish we could get that many into a GT lobby, but it wouldn't work. lol

By the way, I voted "32", because that's what I would like to see, but I expect 24 or even only 16 again.

From experience, PD will try to cram in too many things again, and then have to reduce either in quality or quantity. That's what I expect. I hope I'm wrong.

The calculations and assumptions in the first post are... strange.

No, you don't need a label for each value. each client will know that the first 16 bit number is for one thing, and the next 16 bit number is for something else.

Furthermore, each client does not need to upload every other player's information, just their own. The host needs to, however, and among 32 players, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can upload faster than 100 kB/s. Personally, I can upload at 6 MB/s.

The host will remember which client is in which car without having to receive that information over and over again. Once the connection has been established, the host will know that any information that comes from a certain connection is for one particular car. It doesn't have to be reminded of this again unless a connection is lost and needs to be re-established.

The host does also not have to send the same data to each client. Sending the same data to each player saves processing power, so it's useful if you have thousands of clients, like in an MMO game server. However, with 32 players, it could be possible to send only the relevant data for each player. When cars start spreading out, you only need to know the exact location of those around you. The further away, the less information about a car you'll need.

The data format could be built in a way that lets you dynamically omitt the least significant data when the system detects that it's choking, such as for example at a grid start with 32 cars. The server software could also perform a connection test and recommend lower grid sizes if it sees that it won't have enough bandwidth for it.

The calculations and assumptions in the first post are... strange.

No, you don't need a label for each value. each client will know that the first 16 bit number is for one thing, and the next 16 bit number is for something else.

Furthermore, each client does not need to upload every other player's information, just their own. The host needs to, however, and among 32 players, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can upload faster than 100 kB/s. Personally, I can upload at 6 MB/s.

The host will remember which client is in which car without having to receive that information over and over again. Once the connection has been established, the host will know that any information that comes from a certain connection is for one particular car. It doesn't have to be reminded of this again unless a connection is lost and needs to be re-established.

The host does also not have to send the same data to each client. Sending the same data to each player saves processing power, so it's useful if you have thousands of clients, like in an MMO game server. However, with 32 players, it could be possible to send only the relevant data for each player. When cars start spreading out, you only need to know the exact location of those around you. The further away, the less information about a car you'll need.

The data format could be built in a way that lets you dynamically omitt the least significant data when the system detects that it's choking, such as for example at a grid start with 32 cars. The server software could also perform a connection test and recommend lower grid sizes if it sees that it won't have enough bandwidth for it.
However, with 32 players, it could be possible to send only the relevant data for each player.
Good point, but it would only save 15/16ths of the data in a 32 player game and it only saves 11/12ths in 24 player game. Although that could be used to power the text chat. :)
The server software could also perform a connection test and recommend lower grid sizes if it sees that it won't have enough bandwidth for it.
that's what the stars are for when you create the room. Although I agree that it should be expanded.

The host will remember which client is in which car without having to receive that information over and over again. Once the connection has been established, the host will know that any information that comes from a certain connection is for one particular car.
Then how will it keep track of which player that the information came from? Shouldn't it have a name or number attached to it so that it knows were each player is located? If the information is not associated with a player then its just useless cordinates that don't mean anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am wrong. Although I don't have a programming job anymore so, :lol: .

The server will know whose coordinates it is by checking which connection it came from. The underlying network architecture of the internet allows for this.

It's just like you don't need to announce your name before every sentence you say when you're on the phone. The receiver knows it's still you on the line until you hang up.

The server will know whose coordinates it is by checking which connection it came from. The underlying network architecture of the internet allows for this.

It's just like you don't need to announce your name before every sentence you say when you're on the phone. The receiver knows it's still you on the line until you hang up.
There has to be some kind of name in the software or it wouldn't work. Recievers have a number attached to it, and there are only 2 numbers so its unnecessary. But if you have 3 connections then there are 2 different connections to keep track of and needs to be named accordingly.

There is a name in the software. It's sent when the connection is established, then remembered for the rest of the session.

Imagine you're talking to two people on two phones, tom and sarah. For reasons unknown, these two have the exact same voice, but you still know that sarah is in the phone you hold in your right hand, and tom is in the phone you hold in your left hand, even if they don't start the sentence with their names.

The client software is able to do this with 32 phones in its 32 hands, because it is running on a computer and has insanely much better short term memory than you have because you're a human.

Last edited:
It would be great to have 24 or more cars in grid start, but 32 would be great on big tracks, but on small tracks like autumn ring mini or smaller then 12 is good

ss3
It would be great to have 24 or more cars in grid start, but 32 would be great on big tracks, but on small tracks like autumn ring mini or smaller then 12 is good
ss3
That's what I was thinking!
I hate to tell you, but you should use the edit button or multi quote to avoid double posting ;)

It's not so much the amount of cars that's important, you need to have good AI instead so you have someone to race the entire duration of a race. Otherwise, you end up with GT6 which can be summed up as "The overtaking challenges from PGR".

To be honest , I dont want massive grids , , GT will probably end up like PCars with ridiculous amounts of cars on one grid which kinda spoils PCars for me .

More cars on the track less power for physics and everything else!
The PS4 is approximately 12 times more powerful than the PS3. If you use double the processing power on AI, and on grid space. You still have 10 or 11 more PS3s of spare power to use. :)

To be honest , I dont want massive grids , , GT will probably end up like PCars with ridiculous amounts of cars on one grid which kinda spoils PCars for me .
24 and 32 car grids are hardly "massive" its actually less than what most real life racing series have.

32 would be the sweet-spot. It would make for good multi-class racing (4x 8-car classes or 2x 16-car classes), and it would be the easiest to optimise and stay competitive with other sims.
You could always adjust the opponent count in Solo mode...

Definitely they can do 24cars although I think they will do 32 because they feel more is always good :indiff:. Honestly speaking if the AI is good even 16 is more than enough. Moreover I had like to see detailed tracks like crowds in grand stands for better atmosphere.

I hope that if they add more cars then they will also add a livery creator too. It's going to be painful to do a race with 3 Toyota Minoltas with the exact same design.

32 is fine as long as there are "battle packs". Meaning, AI is good from last to first. There will be people who may stat at a beginner level. AI should always be set to highest, but a beginner level player should still be rewarded for keeping up at the tailend of the field. "Beginner" shouldn't mean they come in first against slower AI. AI should always be fast. Battling 2 or 3 other AI cars at the last positions should still be fun.

Back