What grid sizes can we expect in Gran Turismo 7? (32 players to a grid is possible!)

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 112 comments

How big of a grid would you like to see in GT7?

Votes: 76 46.3%

Votes: 53 32.3%

Votes: 20 12.2%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 12 7.3%

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
56. If project cars can do 50 then PD with highly optimised code should be able to do better.

56. If project cars can do 50 then PD with highly optimised code should be able to do better.
Part of the reason PCars has so many cars on track (I think 45 is the limit actually) is that they limited their cars to 80k polygons on console. With DC already at 250k polygons I highly doubt you're going to see GT7 with any less than that. Can they put 50 cars on track with 250-500k polygons? Remains to be seen.

32 offline and online would be absolutely mental! They would really have to have some tricks up their sleeves, however. LOD would come into play, then?

The cuts in order to get that to "work" are very apparent. If PD took that route now, I feel the backlash would be bad.

They did double grids from PS2 to PS3, so I'd bet they'll do the same for the PS4 with 32 machine grids.

The PS4 may be able to cope with 24, 32 or even more - I don't know because I am not knowledgeable about computers, however I do know that the servers have struggled to cope with rooms of 16 throughout the life of GT5 and GT6. There would have to be a big improvement and presumably a big investment in the servers.

If I am going to have to pay to race GT7 online with a PS4 I will expect everything to work properly. I have tolerated the poor quality of online so far because with a PS3 and GT6 I don't have to pay.

I think it would depend on the track as GT's original circuits are all originally designed to accommodate 6 cars. They changed them slightly to allow 16 on track for GT5 so I think if we had 36 cars on track some tracks would need to be limited on how many cars can be on track at once. EG Maybe 24 cars at Laguna Seca or 12 cars at Autumn Ring Mini

They can easily run 64, probably even more, if they wanted to. The new consoles are very powerful, if you utilize them properly.

Imagine the Nurburgring with 32 X2010s. Or Kubelwagens.

I think it should vary between each track. Some tracks have too many sectors that are too accident prone. Like Sarthe at the end of the straight, if you have an accident there in the middle of the field, you've essentially given the win to whoever is past that accident. Yes, it's possible, but the more people you put on the track, the more likely you are to just have the entire field get wiped, and that doesn't make for an enjoyable experience at all, even when you have a few times that it works. Racing for 27th position because the guy in front of you wrecked isn't fun.
No they can't "easily"run 64 unleas you know how they are designing the game. And if it's a Sim, cars on each track should be limited to the number of available pit boxes.

That's the key word. Limit. Now that we know there is a limit, PD will reach that and say we would like to do more but the PS4 is fairly limited. This means, only 20 car starting grids. I'd gather multi-class racing will have a rolling grid of maybe another 20. So, depending on which class the user chooses, we may "see" 70(as an example) cars on big circuits.

I would hope 24. I imagine they could quite easily stretch to 32, but with their approach to graphics I reckon that would lead to unstable frame rates like we had in GT6.

I believe they could achieve Driveclub level of graphics with 24 car grids. The last two games may have been lacking in the gameplay department, but PD still know how to squeeze the most out of a console.

Seeing the graphics they achieved with the PS2 and PS3, I would expect GT7 to look at least as good as Driveclub. Also considering the fans all expect better physics and a proper tyre model this time around, and PD have been working on FIA certification for their tracks, which I would imagine inevitably means laser scanning to get the required accuracy, I would think 24 cars is the upper limit before they'd run into some serious frame rate issues.

Pcars has a stable frame rate on PS4, but it's graphics are nowhere near where I'd expect GT7 to be, and PD will be able to optimise their game for the system much better than SMS can, due to their closeness to Sony, and their track record for getting far more out of Playstation consoles than any other dev.

I'm just hoping for an end to standard cars. I'd prefer to have 500 beautiful cars than 1500 cars, where two thirds look like crap. Just my opinion.

I don't care how big the grids are. I want standing starts back and no more chase the rabbit "races". We can say GT5 and GT6 could manage 16 car grids, but ~95% of the time the grids were 12 cars.
This is a must I think. I don't mind rolling starts on some tracks such as Daytona or Indy (Speedway courses) but most tracks should have standing starts.

It's not like graphics are really that important either, iRacing looks terrible but still races well.

Do you guys really want "better" graphics, or just more consistent graphics? EG Premium VS Standard, or N64 spectators with 3 animation cycles. Are you really looking for an improvement at the edge of graphics - an even more lifelike car, or just finally having a properly polished game?

As an aside, the more lifelike the graphics and experience becomes, the more likely a player might experience simulation sickness.
I'd just prefer to have some good gameplay. AI difficulty sliders from 70% (how the AI currently is) to 120% (Pretty much impossible to beat) and the ability to select AI cars in arcade mode. I hate it when I take a DTM car to arcade mode on GT6 that I'm pitted against generic racing cars instead of the games proper DTM cars.

No they can't "easily"run 64 unleas you know how they are designing the game. And if it's a Sim, cars on each track should be limited to the number of available pit boxes.
We don't know how its designed but they could easily do 64 offline if they wanted to. The real weakpoint is online connection speeds.

No they can't. Not at the polygon count they use.
That's what LOD models are for. Plus the PS4 has 4 times the cores as the PS3, I think both are 3.2GHz. And the PS4 has 32 times the ram as the PS3. Also the graphics card is far, far, far superior than the PS3s... why would it have a problem? Unless they only worry about picture quality... again...

Edit: these specs were from memory, next page has accurate comparison.

Last edited:
Back