What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,135 comments
Lately I have been getting a Kernal power 41 reboot.
So I am trying to figure out what is casing it.
If you think it's the PSU, I have swapped PSU's already (Since the one that was previous in there was doing the same thing)
I wonder if it's not enough wattage to handle it and it just reboots. :/

Disconnected all cables, had some spring cleaning, removing dust etc, connected all the things again and found my graphics card running 5 degrees cooler on idle.

Love me some dust removal. :lol:

I have been trying to learn 3D modeling through coding the past week or two. Most of it is to maybe design models for Minecraft. It began with me studying Java files of Minecraft models. It then led me to seeing models designed with the Minecraft utility MCSkin3D, a program used to preview Minecraft skins for entities. Only that MCSkin3D uses XML models for Minecraft. I have been going back and forth between seeing Java 3D models and XML 3D models. It all seems simple to make 3D models that are basically a bunch of cubes, and I can get a general understanding of how to do things despite seeming so tedious. However, I have yet to actually nail down trying to make a decent bunch of cubes to make a 3D model.

If anyone has worked with Minecraft models before, you're probably asking how come I don't use any programs like Techne, McCrayfish's Modeler, or even Blockbench. Most of these programs do make the process easier, but I am just looking for something effective and not as cumbersome. The main thing I try to remember is to have an accurate understanding of programming vertices and placement of these cubes. The next phase afterwards would be trying to texture these models. Then when I get more advanced, I can try my hand at rotating these cubes for more interesting models (such as the Spider or a Villager). The main goal is to design cube models for Minecraft and perhaps somewhat develop a game project.

I finally got sick of sharing a super weak WiFi network that kept dropping, so I went and got myself an Asus RT-AC51U (the cheapest they made, I generally like Asus stuff) router and a long Ethernet cable, managed to convince my downstairs neighbour to let me run the cable upstairs and it has sorted it right out.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, this is what the signal levels are looking like now, the one called Asus is obviously new:

Screenshot_20180510-184904.png

I realise I've basically just told everyone exactly where I live but I can't be bothered to blur all those out. Anyway, those are some pitiful signals and my old network is one of them, and not any of the slightly more prominent ones... There are also a few more networks that pop up from time to time, so this isn't even as bad as it most often is.

Now we're on this:
Screenshot_20180510-180708.png

All clear of interference. I don't actually use the 2.4GHz band and will turn it off to spare everyone else the noise.

I finally got sick of sharing a super weak WiFi network that kept dropping, so I went and got myself an Asus RT-AC51U (the cheapest they made, I generally like Asus stuff) router and a long Ethernet cable, managed to convince my downstairs neighbour to let me run the cable upstairs and it has sorted it right out.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, this is what the signal levels are looking like now, the one called Asus is obviously new:

View attachment 735362

I realise I've basically just told everyone exactly where I live but I can't be bothered to blur all those out. Anyway, those are some pitiful signals and my old network is one of them, and not any of the slightly more prominent ones... There are also a few more networks that pop up from time to time, so this isn't even as bad as it most often is.

Now we're on this:
View attachment 735363

All clear of interference. I don't actually use the 2.4GHz band and will turn it off to spare everyone else the noise.

I recommend naming the SSID something that stands out.

As for my network I took an old router and made it into an AP with the same SSID and Password so it is a seamless transition.
And then assigned it the IP of 192.168.1.2. so I can quickly configure both since the main modem router is 192.168.1.1

Since I am a bit fussy I have manually set each device in the home it's own IP.

So I know which devices they are just off the IP address alone since my TP link shows MAC addresses for the devices and not the device name.
2018-05-13 21.38.06.png
2018-05-13 21.38.39.png

TB
Trying to log in to a Cisco VPN to hunt down a MAC address.

It's not going well.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again? /s

I'm gonna have to start learning this stuff really soon. :ill:

As for my computer, I'm updating my Steam library.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? /s
WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?

The email I received said what the login and password were set to. The interwebz says by default there is no login or password. I've tried every iteration I can come up with and nothing has worked.

I have a paper clip bent and ready to mash the reset button. :irked:

TB
Trying to log in to a Cisco VPN to hunt down a MAC address.

It's not going well.

Do you have to log in? I don't know how you'd do it on Windows but on Mac and Linux you can, err, do a thing to get the MAC addresses of everything on your network but I've forgotten what it was. I had to do it at work to hunt down some rogue devices that I couldn't physically find but knew existed somewhere. This is assuming the VPN isn't at the other end of the tunnel, though.

This is assuming I've understood what you're trying to do, of course.

Edit: If you open cmd.exe and run 'arp inet_addr [IP address]' then run 'arp -a' you should get IP addresses and MAC addresses. I guess this is only useful if you know the VPN's IP address but maybe you could run it, power the VPN off, run it again and see what's missing.

@neema_t

The VPN is sitting on my desk so I fired up my old computer (my new one is finally working the way I want!) and the retailer didn't change the default IP so that wasn't an issue. They did, however, change the login and password and apparently dont know what it was changed to.

I'll still need the login and password at some point, I'm sure, but for now your arp suggestion got me what I need for now. :D:tup:

In my on-again, off-again time as a game developer, I am back in the fold *trying* to develop something (not necessarily a game). This interest was fueled when I learned someone used one of my gaming assets I uploaded to one site. The individual took my block breaking assets to develop a Breakout-type game online. Most importantly, he made sure to give credit. Anyhow, I downloaded the Godot game engine. So I am willing to try to learn the Godot engine as it is in its third version. Godot is seemed as a free and open source alternative to Unity. I am contemplating developing either a platformer or a "Metroidvania" type game.

In recent times, I have been looking to move on from my discontinued Google Nexus Player. I've eyed the Xiaomi Mi Box I've seen at Wal-Mart at times. The biggest plus for me is much better USB support. The Nexus Player sort of required you to have some OTG cable so you could take advantage of USB for that device. If I do get the Mi Box, I may invest in a USB hub and a 32GB Flash Drive. I am looking also to use this for potential Android game development, not to mention actually making Android TV relevant and more involved.

Service my PCs water cooling loop.

Used EK pastel which was a rebranded Mayhems Pastel, Since EK no longer sell their pastel I had to go with Mayhems.
So I drained the loop, cleaned some gunk out of the CPU water block, cleaned everything, filled with the new coolant.

Only issue is the little air trap foam thing for the res is floating and spinning around due to the water inlet, even though the pump is at 25% which is around 2,000rpm.

I have spent the past few days learning the Godot game engine. I saw a few tutorials on YouTube and feel Godot, while a good bit cumbersome, is still plenty capable of making quality games. I feel as confident using Godot for game development as much as I have with using Wings3D to make my own 3D models. I never seemed able to be patient using Unity, so I am pleased to try to make something with Godot. I am still mostly in the tutorial-watching phase, but it still doesn't seem too far away for me to actually move towards making a proper game.

Messed around with an old Gameboy Color game after learning of it's debugging features, but I didn't stay long since one of them I was most excited for wasn't working and then I just watched Spyro related videos on Youtube. Uninstalled OneDrive, which was surprisingly easy and I may look into uninstalling Microsoft Edge later on since I have no use for it.

Been booting Star Wars Battlefront II nearly every time I turn on my computer to make sure I am not having that minimizing problem I had earlier and so far since I did that reset, I haven't had it happen since! :) I have to say after doing the reset, it's pretty refreshing because now I have far less stuff taking up my SSD and less icons cluttering my desktop, especially since I couldn't be bothered to deal with it before.

Now what I really need to do is do some massive cleaning up on my 2TB portable HDD because i'm down to about 400GB and I have a lot I need to delete. :boggled: I have a slight fear it's going to fail one day and I have some stuff I certainly don't want to lose, so I may move the most important stuff to my Google Drive.

Backing up 16TB of data at a rate of ~30MB/second... I'll be excited once the ETA drops bellow "More than 1 day", I'm currently about 50% done after 2.5 days.

Edge is like IE.

Can be removed, but not easy.

Micrososft makes it hard for you do to so.

Backing up 16TB of data at a rate of ~30MB/second... I'll be excited once the ETA drops bellow "More than 1 day", I'm currently about 50% done after 2.5 days.

USB 3.1 exists.

It takes a day to back up my 10TiB RAID 5 box over USB 3 and it is 60% full.
But I use compression whilst backing up as well.

Edge is like IE.

Can be removed, but not easy.

Micrososft makes it hard for you do to so.
I don't doubt it, especially since it can't be uninstalled in the usual manner. Same could be said for OneDrive. I really don't care for Edge much at all, I prefer Google Chrome.

I don't doubt it, especially since it can't be uninstalled in the usual manner. Same could be said for OneDrive. I really don't care for Edge much at all, I prefer Google Chrome.

I removed onedrive on the Win10 VM I have.

Use the powershell to remove apps, since edge is called as an "App" it can be removed but harder than just punching in a command into powershell.

App Removal
https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-remove-all-built-in-apps-in-windows-10/

Edge removal
https://www.askvg.com/windows-10-ti...osoft-edge-contact-support-and-feedback-apps/

Last edited:
I made a little progress last night towards making a tilemap and a basic character for a 2D platformer using the Godot game engine. Unity3D and the Unreal Engine are more advanced (especially Unity), but I haven't had the patience to learn Unity. So I was pleased to get off the ground a bit using Godot. It all seems very simple to produce a very simple game with Godot. There is even support for using game controllers as well as touchscreen devices. I am still learning the program as well as understanding a lot of the GDScript used in the programming aspect of Godot. And speaking of programming, you don't have to do too much programming to build a decent game. All you mostly need to program is how the player interacts with the world and such. Otherwise, I'd recommend Godot to any of you game programmers- even hobbyists.

Installed Windows 10 on a VM, installed classicshell and removed a lot of the pre-installed apps, including cortana and edge and disabled Windenfender.

Testing it now to see if it plays up.

They do say Cortana is needed for search but so far I can type in the search box of classic shell and it does show programs like it works in windows 7 and after a few reboots, no edge or cortana in the task maanger.

So Win10 is going from unbearable to slightly bearable

Recently, I successfully followed a series of tutorials to make a 2D top-down game using the Godot Game Engine. It was a tutorial based on a classic Zelda style game. It was also the first tutorial I followed that featured script for enemies. The tutorials also included knockback from being hurt by an enemy. So I feel a bit more accomplished. Despite all of this, I still am a long ways away from building my first proper game. The training wheels will have to come off at some point.

In the future, I am considering my options towards Android TV development. I am either going to try to get an OTG cable for my Nexus Player or get a Xiaomi Mi Box. I was thinking of getting the Mi Box for one major reason- better USB support. One of the things that had me jaded when I got my OUYA was trying to get everything from HDMI-style stuff as well as a new television. The Nexus Player was long discontinued. Yet still, I think I'm operating Android Oreo on my Nexus Player.

I COULD design a basic game to be played with a remote for an Android TV device. I prefer gamepad required games for Android TV, but something extra functional would be cool. So maybe something for devices even like the Amazon Fire series would suffice. An example of a big style game on Android TV that can be controlled with a remote is "Horizon Chase." A gamepad is recommended, but you can still control the cars in that game with the remote of your Android TV device. However, its complexity means an Android TV remote would be better suited for basic games (like card games or puzzle games) than borderline AAA titles. I am weighing my options nonetheless.

Got kind of bored, so I looked up some 3D models of race tracks I could potentially use in Mario Kart Wii (Yes custom tracks are a thing for it) and maybe even some NFS games when NFS Toolkit becomes available. Coincidentally I came across some made for Mario Kart Wii in Sketchups 3D Warehouse and even one track called Special Stage Route 16. I probably won't do any custom making anytime soon since it is heavily addictive to me.

I was "messing around with a PS1 game" earlier and one thing I remembered is I was doing that plenty before I had that minimizing issue I mentioned. Now I wonder if that was what caused it to happen in the first place because those graphic settings are a bit screwy at times.

Made a list of the apps one can remove from windows 10 using the powershell

Just copy the entire list and right click on powershell as admin, this will also remove Windows Store and Microsoft Wallet

Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.BingWeather_4.22.3254.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.GetHelp_10.1706.10441.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Getstarted_6.9.10602.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Messaging_3.38.22001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer_2.1803.8022.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.8918.5926.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_4.0.1301.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1705.4.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1705.4.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_2.0.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.MSPaint_3.1803.5027.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Office.OneNote_17.8827.20991.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.OneConnect_4.1801.521.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Print3D_2.0.3621.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WebMediaExtensions_1.0.3102.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Wallet_2.1.18009.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1712.10601.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub_1.1712.612.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsMaps_5.1711.10401.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder_10.1712.10611.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_1.0.12271.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp_11712.1801.10002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI_1.11.28003.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.XboxApp_38.38.14002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2017.1117.80.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay_1.26.6001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay_1.15.1001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.People_10.3.10452.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement_10.0.1610.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement_10.0.1610.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay_1.17.29001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.ZuneMusic_10.17112.19011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.ZuneVideo_10.17112.19011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.SkypeApp_12.13.274.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1712.10611.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider_12.36.15002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8827.22055.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.WindowsStore_11712.1001.23.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Remove-AppXPackage -package Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2018.18011.15918.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Last edited:
Contemplating installing the new macOS & iOS betas since my Apple Developer membership is still good for 4 more days... just concerned about what'll happen once it lapses.

Installed a GPU holster for my 1080ti. I am happy. It got rid of a really bad sag and PCB warp.
20180604_161855.jpg

Pretty good product. Easy to install, it's cheap, it's solid aluminum and it works. It kills the aesthetics a bit in this photo, but it's almost unnoticeable if you're not looking right under the card. It's pretty much invisible.

I am upgrading my Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.1.
I have this computer for quite some time now, but I haven't used it lately since I already have a laptop.

Back